Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,120 members, 7,811,147 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 02:49 AM

Hacker Breaks Into NIMC Server, Steals Over 3 Million National Identity Numbers - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Hacker Breaks Into NIMC Server, Steals Over 3 Million National Identity Numbers (38991 Views)

Hacker Breaks Into NIMC Server - The Story Is False / Hacker Hacks NIMC Server, Steals Over Three Million National Identity Numbers / Mandatory Use Of Identity Numbers Begins In January 2019 – FG (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Hacker Breaks Into NIMC Server, Steals Over 3 Million National Identity Numbers by kunle75(m): 7:46pm On Jan 10, 2022
Golan007:

He claimed S3 so they are on AWS Servers.

It shouldn't matter if they are on premise or in the cloud.

If the right protocols are followed, access should only be top-level.

Exactly what am thinking too, who and who's is granted access to the bucket containing such a sensitive data,and other part of the console?
This is a serious breach if its true.
I know for sure AWS end,can't be compromised but the clients end (naija) am not sure who and what security or identity access management was applied .
It could be man in the middle or social engineering cos this might be sabotage from within too.
Such a confused lots

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Hacker Breaks Into NIMC Server, Steals Over 3 Million National Identity Numbers by TheOgaBoss: 7:47pm On Jan 10, 2022
tstx:
Lol.. Lol... Lol

I no go even surprise if na shared hosting them dey use grin grin
from the article they are using Amazon aws. The article was making reference to s3 buckets, who stores sensitive data in s3 buckets? If that is correct then they handlers of our data must be very dumb

1 Like

Re: Hacker Breaks Into NIMC Server, Steals Over 3 Million National Identity Numbers by chiedozie198100: 7:47pm On Jan 10, 2022
Thank God I no link my mind. grin grin
Re: Hacker Breaks Into NIMC Server, Steals Over 3 Million National Identity Numbers by TheOgaBoss: 7:48pm On Jan 10, 2022
Sonnobax15:
grin
Now this is what we call real hacking grin

Meaning some people no go get National I.D card be that oh grin
expect those info to start floating around in the dark web. There will be a lot of identity theft soon
Re: Hacker Breaks Into NIMC Server, Steals Over 3 Million National Identity Numbers by kinzation(m): 7:52pm On Jan 10, 2022
etokhana:

http://saharareporters.com/2022/01/10/exclusive-hacker-breaks-nimc-server-steals-over-three-million-national-identity-numbers#:~:text=News-,EXCLUSIVE%3A%20Hacker%20Breaks%20Into%20NIMC%20Server%2C%20Steals%20Over%20Three%20Million, sensitive%20data%20at%20his%20disposal.
Hacker ika

1 Like

Re: Hacker Breaks Into NIMC Server, Steals Over 3 Million National Identity Numbers by olioxx(m): 7:54pm On Jan 10, 2022
Lavisha:
hehehe..

Something wey Pantami don give terrorists they tey..

xxxtedyxxx:
Most Nigerian .gov sites are easy to hack, you need is basic hacking skills.

I am not talking about pro skills, but basic amateur skills. Skills that have been rendered obsolete by top foreign websites will still penetrate the best .gov site in Nigeria.

Naija na cruise na.

SpecialAdviser:
Just say Patmni Colleaugues have collected their requested data.

Those of you bashing NIMC and the Nigerian Government for been weak or what not should please read about the Yahoo data breach. Most of you don't know that US of A that has good cyber security system and policy happens to be the country that suffers the most identity theft.
Even Israeli citizens are not left out as well.
Before we begin to bash, the ngCERT hasn't written an advisory notice or warning alert so let's take this as with a grain of salt, (I am not saying it can't happen oo, but no be say we just read something from one new site, we con dey conclude).

UncleSnr:
Hear from the horse's mouth
I hope you also figure that that personal is a Vulnerability Analyst/Bug Hunter and yes he is an hacker, but he didn't escalate the "juice" in his own words.
I am sure that it has been reported.

UncleSnr:

How does this thing you wrote relate to what I am responding to?
In addition to your previous quote I wanted other to understand the truth, that personal Sam is a bug bunter that found an a bug and exploited it and then followed due process in reporting.

Enceladus and Golan007 the speed you guys concluded somethings ehn!!! I hope you Sirs have read his statement, nobody hacked s3, the entire shit is potentially an exploit from Tecno devices and once again it has been reported, if you doubt me check bug bounty website.
Peace.

musicwriter:
Are you people responding to that article or something else? Because what I read there is an ethical hacker working on a bounty placed by the Nigerian government. He even said he was paid about $5,000 for the job. Unless it wasn't the government paying him?

Having said that, no national database is safe anywhere in the world. But you can always expect worst case scenario in Nigeria.

Thank you for this, a lot of people even the self acclaimed educated ones can be easily deceived with fake news. I don talk am tire, but some people just don't want to read and understand. I have seen his report on a bug bounty website, that is why I am writing to let the Nigerian public know that there was no illegal hack done, every thing was legal.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Hacker Breaks Into NIMC Server, Steals Over 3 Million National Identity Numbers by frayoski(m): 7:55pm On Jan 10, 2022
Even if my number is dere I don't care. I already knw my state and village, so careless abt anyting Nigeria. Better stll make Dem go report to JTF to assisting dem in arresting d hacker.
Re: Hacker Breaks Into NIMC Server, Steals Over 3 Million National Identity Numbers by kunle75(m): 7:55pm On Jan 10, 2022
TheOgaBoss:
from the article they are using Amazon aws. The article was making reference to s3 buckets, who stores sensitive data in s3 buckets? If that is correct then they handlers of our data must be very dumb

Anyone can store anything in S3 bucket but the questions we should ask is who and who's is granted access and what type of security groups are applied.
AWS have given various options depending on clients need and affordability.
BWT internet is public space its never secured ,you need more of privacy and advance security to stay secured there.
Its an endless possibilities of happening mennn things are bleeped up in this country
Re: Hacker Breaks Into NIMC Server, Steals Over 3 Million National Identity Numbers by L4stl00k(m): 7:56pm On Jan 10, 2022
Shit.. Sahara reporters is also vulnerable to hack.. last time i scan it... Shit website everywhere. From university to company website
Re: Hacker Breaks Into NIMC Server, Steals Over 3 Million National Identity Numbers by frankkydee(m): 7:56pm On Jan 10, 2022
It's a lie ,they did it on purpose against the digital census they are proposing. We all know as e dey go, the problem just be say we no fit do anything about it
Re: Hacker Breaks Into NIMC Server, Steals Over 3 Million National Identity Numbers by UncleSnr(m): 7:58pm On Jan 10, 2022
slawormiir:
Damnnn niggar

Sahara reportsers and stupidity

Just concluded it is over 3 million

Sahara reporters think say na every body be mumu
Hear from the horse's mouth https://infosecwriteups.com/a-tale-of-5250-how-i-accessed-millions-of-users-data-including-their-national-id-s-fd48ca7ca0bf

1 Like

Re: Hacker Breaks Into NIMC Server, Steals Over 3 Million National Identity Numbers by Enceladus(m): 7:58pm On Jan 10, 2022
Golan007:

He claimed S3 so they are on AWS Servers.

It shouldn't matter if they are on premise or in the cloud.

If the right protocols are followed, access should only be top-level.

The location of the data centre does matter for National security reasons.

I know that in the US, there are some sectors or applications you might build where the data must be 100% stored in the US according to the law. I got to know this in a training with AWS cloud.
Re: Hacker Breaks Into NIMC Server, Steals Over 3 Million National Identity Numbers by Enceladus(m): 8:04pm On Jan 10, 2022
nextstep:

Does it matter? Apart from a few individuals, this country doesn't have anything worth hacking for... angry

grin grin Well, Identity theft is still a thing sha. Also, the NIN can be used to commit different kind of frauds.
Re: Hacker Breaks Into NIMC Server, Steals Over 3 Million National Identity Numbers by ashawopikin(m): 8:07pm On Jan 10, 2022
NIMC will come out and deny this, just watch
Re: Hacker Breaks Into NIMC Server, Steals Over 3 Million National Identity Numbers by TheOgaBoss: 8:10pm On Jan 10, 2022
kunle75:

Anyone can store anything in S3 bucket but the questions we should ask is who and who's is granted access and what type of security groups are applied.
AWS have given various options depending on clients need and affordability.
BWT internet is public space its never secured ,you need more of privacy and advance security to stay secured there.
Its an endless possibilities of happening mennn things are bleeped up in this country
oga that is not what s3 is designed for, granted it has some level of security and access controll but when you are talking of such sensitive data as this it is not secure enough.
Re: Hacker Breaks Into NIMC Server, Steals Over 3 Million National Identity Numbers by rhames(m): 8:12pm On Jan 10, 2022
etokhana:

http://saharareporters.com/2022/01/10/exclusive-hacker-breaks-nimc-server-steals-over-three-million-national-identity-numbers#:~:text=News-,EXCLUSIVE%3A%20Hacker%20Breaks%20Into%20NIMC%20Server%2C%20Steals%20Over%20Three%20Million,sensitive%20data%20at%20his%20disposal.

FBI,CIA, MI5, GCHQ servers were hacked and who told you they can't hack ordinary NIMC?
Re: Hacker Breaks Into NIMC Server, Steals Over 3 Million National Identity Numbers by tit(f): 8:12pm On Jan 10, 2022
Wetin him go take am do?
Na money?
Re: Hacker Breaks Into NIMC Server, Steals Over 3 Million National Identity Numbers by Yoighaman(m): 8:21pm On Jan 10, 2022
Let's just hope these are true hackers and not some backdoor arrangements with the group of people Pantami and his Boss are sympathetic towards. Either ways, this is not looking good at all.

1 Like

Re: Hacker Breaks Into NIMC Server, Steals Over 3 Million National Identity Numbers by UncleSnr(m): 8:24pm On Jan 10, 2022
olioxx:

I hope you also figure that that personal is a Vulnerability Analyst/Bug Hunter and yes he is an hacker, but he didn't escalate the "juice" in his own words.
I am sure that it has been reported.
How does this thing you wrote relate to what I am responding to?
Re: Hacker Breaks Into NIMC Server, Steals Over 3 Million National Identity Numbers by Bimpe29: 8:26pm On Jan 10, 2022
Waiting for Mr Lai Mohammed to debunk it.
Re: Hacker Breaks Into NIMC Server, Steals Over 3 Million National Identity Numbers by TheOgaBoss: 8:27pm On Jan 10, 2022
Enceladus:

grin grin Well, Identity theft is still a thing sha. Also, the NIN can be used to commit different kind of frauds.
if this report is correct expect to see various dump of nimc data floating around the dark web.
Re: Hacker Breaks Into NIMC Server, Steals Over 3 Million National Identity Numbers by Golan007: 8:31pm On Jan 10, 2022
Enceladus:

The location of the data centre does matter for National security reasons.

I know that in the US, there are some sectors or applications you might build where the data must be 100% stored in the US according to the law. I got to know this in a training with AWS cloud.

I believe this, despite this, data security is of utmost importance for even the survival of the cloud providers.

If laid down protocol is followed, breaches such as being touted here shouldn't be that easy.
Re: Hacker Breaks Into NIMC Server, Steals Over 3 Million National Identity Numbers by Golan007: 8:31pm On Jan 10, 2022
TheOgaBoss:
oga that is not what s3 is designed for, granted it has some level of security and access controll but when you are talking of such sensitive data as this it is not secure enough.

What is safer than S3 that you can point to?
Re: Hacker Breaks Into NIMC Server, Steals Over 3 Million National Identity Numbers by Enceladus(m): 8:36pm On Jan 10, 2022
Golan007:

I believe this, despite this, data security is of utmost importance for even the survival of the cloud providers.

If laid down protocol is followed, breaches such as being touted here shouldn't be that easy.

Yes, you are also right. Data security and integrity are fundamental and shouldn't even be discussed.
Re: Hacker Breaks Into NIMC Server, Steals Over 3 Million National Identity Numbers by WillyDave: 8:39pm On Jan 10, 2022
Abeg make dey no go collect this small change wey I get for account. I take God beg them.
Re: Hacker Breaks Into NIMC Server, Steals Over 3 Million National Identity Numbers by OGMEEKZY: 8:40pm On Jan 10, 2022
Una don start with una plan work again abi make my own nin no dy dere ooo
Re: Hacker Breaks Into NIMC Server, Steals Over 3 Million National Identity Numbers by Enceladus(m): 8:40pm On Jan 10, 2022
TheOgaBoss:
if this report is correct expect to see various dump of nimc data floating around the dark web.

Sad but true.

Golan007:

What is safer than S3 that you can point to?

AWS has a proper high-security data vault. It is called RedShift I think. Those engineers really need to be sued if it is true that those information are stored on s3. grin grin
Re: Hacker Breaks Into NIMC Server, Steals Over 3 Million National Identity Numbers by mp3ree: 8:41pm On Jan 10, 2022
Lavisha:
hehehe..

Something wey Pantami don give terrorists they tey..

Oga wey know what's up
Re: Hacker Breaks Into NIMC Server, Steals Over 3 Million National Identity Numbers by naijaman2225(m): 8:43pm On Jan 10, 2022
slawormiir:
Damnnn niggar

Sahara reportsers and stupidity

Just concluded it is over 3 million

Sahara reporters think say na every body be mumu
TELL US WHAT YOU THINK HAPPEN, O WISE AND LEARNED ONE.
Re: Hacker Breaks Into NIMC Server, Steals Over 3 Million National Identity Numbers by Sunnyja: 8:45pm On Jan 10, 2022
Sunday2021:
This is the same way namdi kanu and Ipob were making noise that nobody can catch Namdi Kanu. When buhari look their way they begin to cry and beg.
Your terroists loving brothers has compromised our national data base.
Re: Hacker Breaks Into NIMC Server, Steals Over 3 Million National Identity Numbers by dasparrow: 8:46pm On Jan 10, 2022
Wahala dey! I am not surprised though. Nigerian websites and servers are weak as hell as far as security is concerned.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

'Disciples Of Jagaban' Storm Abuja For Tinubu / Bandits Attack Military Outpost In Marina, Katsina, Many Soldiers Feared Killed / Abia Agog As President Buhari Visits God's Own State - Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.