Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,568 members, 7,816,395 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:37 AM

Give The Man A Pig Heart ... In Order To Save His Life! - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Give The Man A Pig Heart ... In Order To Save His Life! (183 Views)

Man Runs For His Life After Snake He Was Trying To Kill Aimed For His Joystick / He Tried To Cheat Death& To Save His Family-Ezego Childhood Friend Finally Speak / Nigerian Man Eats Police Money For The First Time In His Life. See His Response (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Give The Man A Pig Heart ... In Order To Save His Life! by tvcblogspot: 7:50am On Jan 11, 2022
For the first time ever, surgeons transplanted a heart from a genetically modified pig into a human patient, in order to save his life ... If all goes well, this could be the start of life-saving treatment for many patients in dire need.
57-year-old David Bennett received a heart like no other ... He was ineligible for a human transplant and, while doctors couldn't guarantee the transplant would work, the surgery was a matter of life or death, so he rolled the dice.
“It was either die or do this transplant. I want to live. I know it’s a shot in the dark, but it’s my last choice,” he said before undergoing the 7-hour surgery Friday at a Baltimore hospital.
The FDA had approved the operation for emergency use, since David had no other options.
Though it's still unclear if the transplant will actually take, he seems to be doing well days after the surgery... And, docs at the University of Maryland Medical Center say his transplant showed a heart from a genetically modified animal can work inside a human body without immediate rejection.
That's great news, because in the past such transplants failed because the patient's body would reject the animal organ. Now, Maryland surgeons used the heart from a pig that had received gene-editing ... to thwart rejection.

With so many patients needing organs, and so few to go around ... this could be a huge breakthrough.

1 Share

Re: Give The Man A Pig Heart ... In Order To Save His Life! by arjunrav: 10:46am On Jan 11, 2022
Nice Information. I always recommend people do visit Mitra Eye Hospitall if they are suffering from any kind of eye disease and get the best treatment at an affordable cost.

(1) (Reply)

Powerful Declaration Of Alaafin Of Oyo Estranged Wife Dami / AWS Training In Bangalore / TETFUND Honours Ede Poly On Prudent Utilization Of Funds, Efficient Research D

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 7
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.