Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,523 members, 7,812,634 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 04:32 PM

Head of Diversity for US Diplomacy say that Brazil is too white - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Head of Diversity for US Diplomacy say that Brazil is too white (435 Views)

Barbados becomes World's newest Republic, removes Queen as Head of State (Pix) / Abortion: Head Of US Bishops' Conference Warns Biden / Valentine Strasser, From Ex-Head Of State To Pauper: Youngest West Africa Leader (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Head of Diversity for US Diplomacy say that Brazil is too white by Tmerz: 11:48am On Jan 11, 2022
It's hard for the US to go around giving diversity lessons to the rest of the world because they too have a lot of homework to do.
So says Gina Abercrombie-Winstanley, 64, who took over in April the newly created head of Diversity and Inclusion at the US State Department in the Joe Biden administration.
During her visit to São Paulo, the diplomat did not run into many black people like her.
"I noticed that most of the people I saw were white. And knowing that the population is close to 50%-50% [among blacks and whites], I asked myself, 'Where is everyone else?'."
Abercrombie-Winstanley once defined the State Department as "pale, male and Yale" — one of the American elite's favorite universities.
Although the game is changing, there is more ground to cover, she says. "We are not where we should be."

Re: Head of Diversity for US Diplomacy say that Brazil is too white by Arthurity1(m): 11:58am On Jan 11, 2022
Brainless dullard! Imagine going to another country, looking for black people when the ratio of blacks in Brazil is less than 20 percent. Did this mumu do her homework at all? Imagine coming to somewhere like West Africa looking for white people.
Re: Head of Diversity for US Diplomacy say that Brazil is too white by CSTRR: 3:56pm On Jan 12, 2022
Arthurity1:
Brainless dullard! Imagine going to another country, looking for black people when the ratio of blacks in Brazil is less than 20 percent. Did this mumu do her homework at all? Imagine coming to somewhere like West Africa looking for white people.
Brazil has the highest numbers of blacks outside Africa.

The problem is that in brazil, they are marginalized.
You hardly see them in top positions.

So she knows what she is saying.

5 Likes

Re: Head of Diversity for US Diplomacy say that Brazil is too white by Samishiba: 7:50pm On Jan 12, 2022
CSTRR:

She see few black people because São Paulo is one of the whitest states in Brazil. She should do some research before she looks like an idiot.

2 Likes

Re: Head of Diversity for US Diplomacy say that Brazil is too white by CSTRR: 8:05pm On Jan 12, 2022
Samishiba:

She see few black people because São Paulo is one of the whitest states in Brazil. She should do some research before she looks like an idiot.
And that is the problem.

Sao Paulo is the most industrialised state in Brazil.
The fact that most of the blacks are removed from formal business and commerce is what she is talking about.

The blacks are in the favelas.

4 Likes

Re: Head of Diversity for US Diplomacy say that Brazil is too white by Samishiba: 8:24pm On Jan 12, 2022
CSTRR:

And that is the problem.

Sao Paulo is the most industrialised state in Brazil.
The fact that most of the blacks are removed from formal business and commerce is what she is talking about.

The blacks are in the favelas.

São Paulo have few black people. 70% are white maybe 5% black. Brazil have a huge racial inequality but in this case she is wrong. São Paulo don't have many black people. The majority of the population are of European descent.

1 Like

Re: Head of Diversity for US Diplomacy say that Brazil is too white by Samishiba: 1:41pm On Jan 15, 2022
CSTRR:

São Paulo state is one of the whitest state in Brazil. Demanding more Afro Brazilians in wealth and in positions of power, I agree. Now demanding that blacks occupy the entire Brazilian demography is a bit much for me. Brazilian states have different demography. The South are majority white, Northeast Brazil have many blacks. They should demand according to demographics. São Paulo is a white majority state, I cannot demand that São Paulo have 80% blacks in the elite. Bahia is an 80% black state, I cannot demand see a 90% of whites in Bahia

2 Likes

Re: Head of Diversity for US Diplomacy say that Brazil is too white by vedaxcool(m): 3:26pm On Jan 15, 2022
Samishiba:

São Paulo state is one of the whitest state in Brazil. Demanding more Afro Brazilians in wealth and in positions of power, I agree. Now demanding that blacks occupy the entire Brazilian demography is a bit much for me. Brazilian states have different demography. The South are majority white, Northeast Brazil have many blacks. They should demand according to demographics. São Paulo is a white majority state, I cannot demand that São Paulo have 80% blacks in the elite. Bahia is an 80% black state, I cannot demand see a 90% of whites in Bahia

Uncle there is systematic racism black people, in fact being successful is associated with being white.

1 Like

Re: Head of Diversity for US Diplomacy say that Brazil is too white by Samishiba: 7:15pm On Jan 15, 2022
vedaxcool:

Uncle there is systematic racism black people, in fact being successful is associated with being white.

Brazil is a Latin American country. Latin Americans have colonial legacy from Portuguese and Spanish colonization. Like African countries who suffer by colonial legacy. Our country are ruled by a colonial mentality whites in the command and blacks are always the servants.
During most of the colonial era, Latin America society had a pyramidal structure with a small number of whites at the top a group of mixed race people beneath them, and at the bottom a large indigenous population and small number of slaves, usually of African origin. All Latin American countries are ruled by a white privileged elite and mestizos, blacks, mulattos are the poorest ethnic groups.
The racism in all Latin American are huge and pathetic. Latinos fight for to find out who is whiter... The population of Latin America are majority brown and mixed race but the advertising campaigns, soap operas, miss pageants only have whites. self hate
Miss pageant Bahia... Bahia is the largest black state in Brazil. They are all white. The racism in Latin America are grotesce
Re: Head of Diversity for US Diplomacy say that Brazil is too white by Hisbah7(m): 7:37pm On Jan 15, 2022
CSTRR:

Re: Head of Diversity for US Diplomacy say that Brazil is too white by Samishiba: 8:42pm On Jan 15, 2022
Yes. And since she touched on the subject of representation... 42% of Americans are obese i don't see a just representation of these Americans in the TV. In American TV 90% of the Americans are skinny.
Re: Head of Diversity for US Diplomacy say that Brazil is too white by panafrican(m): 4:13am On Jan 16, 2022
grin grin grin grin grin
True.
Pele' could have been president.
Re: Head of Diversity for US Diplomacy say that Brazil is too white by vedaxcool(m): 6:18am On Jan 16, 2022
Samishiba:

Brazil is a Latin American country. Latin Americans have colonial legacy from Portuguese and Spanish colonization. Like African countries who suffer by colonial legacy. Our country are ruled by a colonial mentality whites in the command and blacks are always the servants.
During most of the colonial era, Latin America society had a pyramidal structure with a small number of whites at the top a group of mixed race people beneath them, and at the bottom a large indigenous population and small number of slaves, usually of African origin. All Latin American countries are ruled by a white privileged elite and mestizos, blacks, mulattos are the poorest ethnic groups.
The racism in all Latin American are huge and pathetic. Latinos fight for to find out who is whiter... The population of Latin America are majority brown and mixed race but the advertising campaigns, soap operas, miss pageants only have whites. self hate
Miss pageant Bahia... Bahia is the largest black state in Brazil. They are all white. The racism in Latin America are grotesce

But that is the point she is making, racism has continued to limit and keep blacks from being part of governance in this country.
Re: Head of Diversity for US Diplomacy say that Brazil is too white by vedaxcool(m): 6:22am On Jan 16, 2022
Samishiba:
Yes. And since she touched on the subject of representation... 42% of Americans are obese i don't see a just representation of these Americans in the TV. In American TV 90% of the Americans are skinny.

Being obese is a choice being black isn't. And it would be nice if a black man or woman in Brazil is given opportunity to lead a better life, they can even keep their own version of Hollywood, just let them be part of the wider society. In Brazilian TV, they don't want to see black people. The few that make it should be nowhere near chocolate!

1 Like

Re: Head of Diversity for US Diplomacy say that Brazil is too white by Samishiba: 10:27am On Jan 16, 2022
vedaxcool:

Being obese is a choice being black isn't. And it would be nice if a black man or woman in Brazil is given opportunity to lead a better life, they can even keep their own version of Hollywood, just let them be part of the wider society. In Brazilian TV, they don't want to see black people. The few that make it should be nowhere near chocolate!

The social mobility in Brazil is difficult for blacks. But even so, you have to study, become professional. Nothing will fall from the sky

(1) (Reply)

Busted!!! Ghost Of Kiev Footage Actually From A Video Game. / Russia Will Eventually Win / Sad - Ex British Soldiers Narrate Their Ordeals On Nuclear Bomb Test Experience

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.