Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,053 members, 7,810,934 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 06:48 PM

Abortion: Head Of US Bishops' Conference Warns Biden - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Abortion: Head Of US Bishops' Conference Warns Biden (47136 Views)

France's Macron Warns Biden To Mind His Words To Prevent Escalation Of War / Barbados becomes World's newest Republic, removes Queen as Head of State (Pix) / Trump Warns Biden: Don’t Wrongfully Claim Office Of President (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Abortion: Head Of US Bishops' Conference Warns Biden by prince2pac(m): 4:31pm On Jan 21, 2021
The U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops (USCCB) issued a stark condemnation of President Biden's abortion agenda on the day of his inauguration, arguing that he would advance "moral evil" on the "preeminent priority" for the faithful.

"I must point out that our new President has pledged to pursue certain policies that would advance moral evils and threaten human life and dignity, most seriously in the areas of abortion, contraception, marriage, and gender," said Los Angeles Archbishop Jose Gomez, who serves as the USCCB's president. "Of deep concern is the liberty of the Church and the freedom of believers to live according to their consciences."

His comments came amid a broader debate about U.S. politicians, like House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., who identify as Catholic but pursue policies that conflict with Church teaching. Biden, during the campaign, reversed his decades-old position on the Hyde Amendment, which blocks most taxpayer funding for abortions. He's also pledged to codify Roe v. Wade, a move that conservatives say would allow abortion up till the moment of birth.

Prior to Biden's inauguration, he and Pelosi attended a mass held at St. Matthew's Cathedral in Washington, D.C. It's unclear whether they took communion but Archbishop Wilton Gregory said beforehand that he wouldn't deny Biden the sacrament.

During the campaign, then-candidate Biden was denied communion by a South Carolina priest and  in August, Cardinal Raymond Burke, the former head of the Archdiocese of St. Louis, said the former vice president shouldn't receive communion and wasn't a Catholic "in good standing."

For years, Biden supported the Hyde Amendment with the rationale that religious Americans shouldn't have to pay for procedures they fundamentally oppose. He similarly argued that Americans shouldn't be forced to embrace his faith's view of abortion. He appeared to personally flout church teaching, however, when he officiated a same-sex wedding ceremony in 2016. He also picked a Health and Human Services secretary who previously sued nuns for opposing Obamacare's contraception mandate.

Regardless, Gomez welcomed Biden and said it would be "refreshing to engage with a President who clearly understands, in a deep and personal way, the importance of religious faith and institutions."

Gomez added in Wednesday's statement that abortion "is not only a private matter, it raises troubling and fundamental questions of fraternity, solidarity, and inclusion in the human community. It is also a matter of social justice. We cannot ignore the reality that abortion rates are much higher among the poor and minorities, and that the procedure is regularly used to eliminate children who would be born with disabilities."

Both the Catholic Catechism and some clergy have indicated that politicians have an obligation to support anti-abortion legislation. The section of the Catechism discussing abortion says that the procedure and infanticide "are abominable crimes."

After Gomez's statement, Chicago Cardinal Blase Cupich called it "ill-considered," alleging that bishops only received it hours before it was released and was crafted without involvement from the body's Administrative Committee.

"The internal institutional failures involved must be addressed, and I look forward to contributing to all efforts to that end, so that, inspired by the Gospel, we can build up the unity of the Church, and together take up the work of healing our nation in this moment of crisis," Cupich said.

Pope Francis, meanwhile, called on Biden to work towards a society that respected every human's rights.

"At a time when the grave crises facing our human family call for farsighted and united responses," he said, "I pray that your decisions will be guided by a concern for building a society marked by authentic justice and freedom, together with unfailing respect for the rights and dignity of every person, especially the poor, the vulnerable and those who have no voice."

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/head-of-us-bishops-conference-warns-biden-would-advance-moral-evils-and-threaten-human-life?fbclid=IwAR0iKw7cNYj1X7qnF-je4-duvQFq3xDdtPVLW_uWltWGpDWe0a1yjskLqm4

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Abortion: Head Of US Bishops' Conference Warns Biden by dumahi(m): 4:37pm On Jan 21, 2021
"Abortion" as a word should not be mentioned by human beings. Do people even realize what it means? Think of the level of violence you subject those innocent kids to. In D&C operations, for example, a sharp object is used to pick away again and again on the flesh and bones of the fetus. Time comes when they use the metal to crush the skull of the innocent fetus. Now, tell me how living humans will support such things.

113 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Abortion: Head Of US Bishops' Conference Warns Biden by Nobody: 4:47pm On Jan 21, 2021
There is need to manage the population based on prosperity index. If there is prosperity, then we can have more babies as far as standard of life is good, but if we are facing global economic crisis then by all means we must control our population. It is not about us as individuals it is about Existence of Life on this Consciousness Spectrum, it is for general multidimensional good.

Biden Show them what you are told to do.

40 Likes 1 Share

Re: Abortion: Head Of US Bishops' Conference Warns Biden by Freestainworld(m): 5:16pm On Jan 21, 2021
Am just looking out on how things will play out for this fresh administration.

88 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Abortion: Head Of US Bishops' Conference Warns Biden by Righteousness2(m): 7:09pm On Jan 21, 2021
Babylon the Great is Fallen!

The Cup of Iniquity of Babylon is Full to the Brim and overflowing..

America; a Nation Begging for Judgement!!!

Son of man, when the land sinneth against me by trespassing grievously, then will I stretch out mine hand upon it, and will break the staff of the bread thereof, and will send famine upon it, and will cut off man and beast from it:

Though these three men, Noah, Daniel, and Job, were in it, they should deliver but their own souls by their righteousness, saith the Lord GOD.

136 Likes 22 Shares

Re: Abortion: Head Of US Bishops' Conference Warns Biden by Duridadi: 8:29pm On Jan 21, 2021
grin

75 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Abortion: Head Of US Bishops' Conference Warns Biden by Jeromejnr(m): 8:29pm On Jan 21, 2021
I cant raise my Children in America.

The Leftists have made the world ugly, deformed and without chaste.

Their agenda will bring upon themselves swift destruction.

But do people like my friend kingxsamz care?

105 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Abortion: Head Of US Bishops' Conference Warns Biden by jawalis(m): 8:30pm On Jan 21, 2021
G
Re: Abortion: Head Of US Bishops' Conference Warns Biden by Baawaa(m): 8:30pm On Jan 21, 2021
Bishop leave this man,let him work biko!

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Abortion: Head Of US Bishops' Conference Warns Biden by kingxsamz(m): 8:30pm On Jan 21, 2021
Jeromejnr:
I cant raise my Children in America.

The Leftists have made the world ugly, deformed and without chaste.

Their agenda will bring upon themselves swift destruction.

But do people like my friend kingxsamz care?

You wey dey stay for North. Oga rest. You've not finished raising your children in the Northern part of Nigeria, na America be your problem.
I don't know why many Christians feel the world revolves around their beliefs.

94 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Abortion: Head Of US Bishops' Conference Warns Biden by Omezif(m): 8:30pm On Jan 21, 2021
The age of biden is not a picken he will not endorse abortion, if he try it means his end will be near and he will never get second term ticket.

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Abortion: Head Of US Bishops' Conference Warns Biden by Nobody: 8:30pm On Jan 21, 2021
Righteousness2:
Babylon the Great is Fallen!

The Cup of Iniquity of Babylon is Full to the Brim and overflowing..

Son of man, when the land sinneth against me by trespassing grievously, then will I stretch out mine hand upon it, and will break the staff of the bread thereof, and will send famine upon it, and will cut off man and beast from it:

Though these three men, Noah, Daniel, and Job, were in it, they should deliver but their own souls by their righteousness, saith the Lord GOD.

And Trump your hero was in power for 4 years and did nothing about it

Seriously, the US is nowhere mentioned in biblical prophecy. So, please stop this misapplication of the Word.

The Ancient Romans were even worse. In America, a father abandoning his newborn child to the elements to die would go to jail. In Ancient Rome...that's just normal family values...

Chirsitanity changed that by changing men's hearts, not by changing laws.

MODIFIED

For those of you who think that abortion is new in the US...it has been legal all over the USA since 1973, and was legal in several states before then

And many of the 'Christian' presndents have not touched the law. It is what most Americans want..and yes, it is sad....

Poeple like Rightoeusness want to use the power of government to make the world christian. Does not work that way

67 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Abortion: Head Of US Bishops' Conference Warns Biden by Muhylonaire007: 8:30pm On Jan 21, 2021
Wahala
Re: Abortion: Head Of US Bishops' Conference Warns Biden by Ajstyles01(m): 8:30pm On Jan 21, 2021
all this agenda sef

check my siggy
Re: Abortion: Head Of US Bishops' Conference Warns Biden by Oblongata: 8:30pm On Jan 21, 2021
We live in a modern world. Everyone should be free to make certain choices that would affect their lives

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Abortion: Head Of US Bishops' Conference Warns Biden by twilliamx(m): 8:31pm On Jan 21, 2021
The church should be happy with such news because that means our lord's second coming is fast approaching. He who has ears, let me hear. Make it right with God because a time of inevitable evil is fast approaching where men will lovers of themselves and highly immoral which we are already witnessing.
Make your peace with God because no one know when he will be called to eternal glory or called to eternal suffering

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Abortion: Head Of US Bishops' Conference Warns Biden by Bar1941(m): 8:31pm On Jan 21, 2021
IT IS TOO EARLY FOR THIS, these religious people should leave the newly sworn in President and allows him to perform his constitutional responsibilities. USA is a multireligious country, there are even a lot of people who are Atheists so imposing just what your religion preaches on other will only make the State look like Afghanistan or Northern Nigeria which will never be possible.

Even during the time of Christ, there were people who never believed his faith and they all existed. What if all what your religion connotes is totally opposite what that of others says? Live and let live is what makes America the most powerful country in the world. Biden has a lot of work at hand than trivial issues like this.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Abortion: Head Of US Bishops' Conference Warns Biden by Sonnobax15(m): 8:32pm On Jan 21, 2021
shocked

Is it not too early for Biden to start show casing his hidden agendas to the whole world to see

Though Trump may have been a troublesome kinda of president but I think the US citizens are definitely gonna miss him when Biden's many hidden agendas begins to unfold..

21 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Abortion: Head Of US Bishops' Conference Warns Biden by Freshfish4: 8:32pm On Jan 21, 2021
Chai

1 Like

Re: Abortion: Head Of US Bishops' Conference Warns Biden by Rareoil(m): 8:32pm On Jan 21, 2021
Lol this people are wasting their time, the Bible prophesied about this stuffs. So they must come to happen.

5 Likes

Re: Abortion: Head Of US Bishops' Conference Warns Biden by Nobody: 8:32pm On Jan 21, 2021
we all know that abortion is a sin and an evil act
many of us today participate in those act
let's just hope is administration won't turn to a disappointment

1 Like

Re: Abortion: Head Of US Bishops' Conference Warns Biden by Uniquewell9: 8:32pm On Jan 21, 2021
Ok

Get a professional business or company logo done for just 3k only and get all the following files of your logo;

1, High quality 3D logo
2, Transparent background logo for watermark
3, Plain logo for letterhead, business card, Id card etc
4, Pdf copy of your logo.
Call/WhatsApp me via the number on the image below.
The link to my WhatsApp is in my signature

Re: Abortion: Head Of US Bishops' Conference Warns Biden by NinpWell: 8:32pm On Jan 21, 2021
Hmmm
Re: Abortion: Head Of US Bishops' Conference Warns Biden by pickatyouu: 8:32pm On Jan 21, 2021
I am short of words

1 Like

Re: Abortion: Head Of US Bishops' Conference Warns Biden by Nobody: 8:32pm On Jan 21, 2021
Hmm
Re: Abortion: Head Of US Bishops' Conference Warns Biden by jerecrown(m): 8:32pm On Jan 21, 2021
Lord behold your people

1 Like

Re: Abortion: Head Of US Bishops' Conference Warns Biden by gungab(m): 8:32pm On Jan 21, 2021
Dem don start grin

2 Likes

Re: Abortion: Head Of US Bishops' Conference Warns Biden by Yeeyo: 8:33pm On Jan 21, 2021
the devil's advocate is on the site of power, abortion, transgender, gay, lesbian and bisexual is ur tym to shine.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Abortion: Head Of US Bishops' Conference Warns Biden by Asgard13: 8:33pm On Jan 21, 2021
grin

The globalist are here..

10 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Jerry Rawlings Dies Of COVID-19 Disease / The Coronation Of Queen Elizabeth II In 1953 (throwback) / Adolf Hitler’s ‘Suicide Note’ To Be Sold At Auction For N32 Million

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.