Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,230 members, 7,818,777 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:38 AM

2023: How Will The Lifting Of Twitter Ban Favour The Current Administration? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 2023: How Will The Lifting Of Twitter Ban Favour The Current Administration? (9576 Views)

Bola Tinubu's Statement On The Lifting Of The Twitter Ban / Buhari Orders Conditional Lifting Of Ban On Twitter / House Of Representatives Reject Lifting Of Twitter Ban By Majority Vote (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 2023: How Will The Lifting Of Twitter Ban Favour The Current Administration? by Kingpin1000: 12:56pm On Jan 13, 2022
they wantbto ise it to campaign
Re: 2023: How Will The Lifting Of Twitter Ban Favour The Current Administration? by FireUpNow(m): 12:56pm On Jan 13, 2022
Observing
Re: 2023: How Will The Lifting Of Twitter Ban Favour The Current Administration? by Elporo(m): 12:57pm On Jan 13, 2022
It has certainly re-energized the current administration's supporters.

Votes win elections not tweets nor stories of "deactivated national id' cards and passports"

1 Like

Re: 2023: How Will The Lifting Of Twitter Ban Favour The Current Administration? by Ykc2(m): 12:57pm On Jan 13, 2022
Beehshorp:
I wonder what the presidential candidate of ApC gonna campaign with.
Re: 2023: How Will The Lifting Of Twitter Ban Favour The Current Administration? by Milly44(f): 1:03pm On Jan 13, 2022
evansjeff:

Okay...but how exactly?

We don’t know but it does

1 Like

Re: 2023: How Will The Lifting Of Twitter Ban Favour The Current Administration? by Premiumwriter: 1:03pm On Jan 13, 2022
Nigerians forget so easily.

They will forget the ban soon enough
Re: 2023: How Will The Lifting Of Twitter Ban Favour The Current Administration? by chudez0147(m): 1:03pm On Jan 13, 2022
DamnNigga
Isoright!!

Propaganda. If you know you know

1 Like

Re: 2023: How Will The Lifting Of Twitter Ban Favour The Current Administration? by eldoradoxx: 1:06pm On Jan 13, 2022
How lifting of tweeter ban will favour current government?
perhaps exactly how removal of #10 from the cost of fuel from #96 per litre to #86 per litre few weeks to 2015 election helped PDP government win. Nigerians will remember APC in 2023, propaganda will not help them this time around.

1 Like

Re: 2023: How Will The Lifting Of Twitter Ban Favour The Current Administration? by phemmyfour: 1:09pm On Jan 13, 2022
MansoryMX:
Was Twitter banned? Because even with ordinary free and cheapest vpn you can find both in android and IOS you can use Twitter perfectly
If you're using VPN, then it's ban
Re: 2023: How Will The Lifting Of Twitter Ban Favour The Current Administration? by hotwax: 1:12pm On Jan 13, 2022
They need it for campaign
Re: 2023: How Will The Lifting Of Twitter Ban Favour The Current Administration? by MansoryMX(m): 1:12pm On Jan 13, 2022
phemmyfour:
If you're using VPN, then it's ban

In the United States once something is banned! No amount of Vpn you use can give you access! So...?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2023: How Will The Lifting Of Twitter Ban Favour The Current Administration? by musicwriter(m): 1:13pm On Jan 13, 2022
evansjeff:
It’s no longer news that the Federal Government has lifted the suspension of Twitter in Nigeria. Since the news broke yesterday, many Nigerians on social media including this platform have been of the opinion that this is connected with the 2023 elections, some argued that they lifted the ban because they know they need it to campaign for the elections.

Now, as a neutral, I’ve found it difficult wrapping my head around this argument, because recalling from previous elections, one may say that if favours the current administration more to continue with the suspension as many who voted them into power do not even use the platform, in fact, some of them don’t even know what it is used for or how to use the platform.

Again, considering the fact that the government is aware that many young and smart Nigerians use the platform for stern criticism of the administration and could be an important asset in exposing the negative activities going on the country and thereby affecting their chances in the forth coming elections,

How many Nigerians even follow government officials on Twitter? Even those that follow them do so so as to have an opportunity to criticize them directly.

So I’m still trying to figure out how this is related to the 2023 elections and I hope comments here can help.

Of course, they lifted the ban because it will benefit them. As a matter of fact, the government shot themselves on the foot by making VPN popular in Nigeria. It means they've been unable to monitor internet traffic and to harass people because they don't know where they're.

Second, they need Twitter to campaign. And you asked how it would benefit them? It will benefit them the same way it benefited them in the last election. The first time you heard of El-Rufai or Omojuwa was probably on Twitter.

2 Likes

Re: 2023: How Will The Lifting Of Twitter Ban Favour The Current Administration? by phemmyfour: 1:15pm On Jan 13, 2022
MansoryMX:

In the United States once something is banned! No amount of Vpn you use can give you access! So...?
Banning is relative

I can ban you from a route to your house does not mean there is no alternative route

1 Like

Re: 2023: How Will The Lifting Of Twitter Ban Favour The Current Administration? by joenor(m): 1:16pm On Jan 13, 2022
Abeg make them go!
Re: 2023: How Will The Lifting Of Twitter Ban Favour The Current Administration? by joenor(m): 1:18pm On Jan 13, 2022
Abeg na confuse country son of man dey...
MansoryMX:

Re: 2023: How Will The Lifting Of Twitter Ban Favour The Current Administration? by ambale(m): 1:20pm On Jan 13, 2022
From my own point of view, the ban was needless in the first instance because even all conditions could still be met without banning it's services here in Nigeria

Back to your question, it would definitely affect their chances, remember, not only those in remote areas vote and even in these remote areas, social media is actively doing wonders there, almost all local government in Nigeria have one social media groups tied to it, you don't want to lose all of that vote

Secondly many businesses and elites also use these medium and you will need their support also

Winning an election involves a broad strategy that cuts across all medium, and not just market women and all that.

1 Like

Re: 2023: How Will The Lifting Of Twitter Ban Favour The Current Administration? by Gate050: 1:22pm On Jan 13, 2022
Hames34r:
Ok
Oloriburuku
Re: 2023: How Will The Lifting Of Twitter Ban Favour The Current Administration? by dat9jaguy(m): 1:29pm On Jan 13, 2022
SarkinYarki:
Simple, since the banning of twitter this wicked administration pushed Nigerians to start using VPN and the use of VPN has had adverse effect on the govt ability to mine data necessary to track the online moods of Nigerians ... Secondly going into campaign season with the twitter ban active would be very counter productive to the APC as the opposition will use it as clarion call to rally more youth against the APC.. thirdly the effectively only prevented the govt agents from pushing their own narrative on twitter as regular Nigerians and opposition figures used VPN to continue to push their narrative against the failed govt and the govt had no presence there to even try to defend itself ....the biggest losers of the this entire ban was the Federal Govt , Corporate Customer Relations and advertisers like us

To the discerning mind what you wrote up there is gibberish.
The greatest opposition from social media against this government is from Twitter. It makes sense for them to keep the ban to minimize noise during this electioneering period.
As for things you wrote up there, twitter is not the only social media site.

1 Like

Re: 2023: How Will The Lifting Of Twitter Ban Favour The Current Administration? by jditimiya(m): 1:30pm On Jan 13, 2022
The know the youth has the power to vote more than the elderly, and the tools for making that happen is twitter.

1 Like

Re: 2023: How Will The Lifting Of Twitter Ban Favour The Current Administration? by SarkinYarki: 1:34pm On Jan 13, 2022
dat9jaguy:

To the discerning mind what you wrote up there is gibberish.
The greatest opposition from social media against this government is from Twitter. It makes sense for them to keep the ban to minimize noise during this electioneering period.
As for things you wrote up there, twitter is not the only social media site.

Nigerian twitter never closed , I never noticed anyone missing except banks and govt officials and besides VPN even made it easy for us to trend issued internationally

1 Like

Re: 2023: How Will The Lifting Of Twitter Ban Favour The Current Administration? by pappicole(m): 1:49pm On Jan 13, 2022
I dey talk am before say Federal government no get sense

2 Likes

Re: 2023: How Will The Lifting Of Twitter Ban Favour The Current Administration? by dat9jaguy(m): 1:54pm On Jan 13, 2022
SarkinYarki:

Nigerian twitter never closed , I never noticed anyone missing except banks and govt officials and besides VPN even made it easy for us to trend issued internationally

Election wise, this government gains nothing by allowing access to Twitter in Nigeria.
The government however gains by moderating the hate speeches, fake news, etc circulating in the national cyber space.
The government gains with tax payments by Twitter. Nigeria gains by having physical structures, by Twitter, on ground thereby generating employment.
Las las Nigeria gains with this Twitter issue.

1 Like

Re: 2023: How Will The Lifting Of Twitter Ban Favour The Current Administration? by ken6488(m): 1:55pm On Jan 13, 2022
We will still vote them out

1 Like

Re: 2023: How Will The Lifting Of Twitter Ban Favour The Current Administration? by AK481(m): 2:05pm On Jan 13, 2022
Let me give me a response.

1.You have asked about the power of twitter.twitter is so powerful that it can unseat some president in this world .the whole endsars started and was driven via twitter,the engine room and coordination all happened in twitter.twiter is powerful.
2.the ban, was to remove the power but if failed when other people especially opposition and critics still remained ,it was like leaving the pitch when the game is on,all anti government information flowed easily,government side of the story were not told, even e naira failed woefully.
The ban would have be good for FG If there was no VPN.
3.unbaning, will favour this government as they need to match opposition narrative.

Can't belive I am educating someone on something as this ...
Re: 2023: How Will The Lifting Of Twitter Ban Favour The Current Administration? by Nobody: 2:08pm On Jan 13, 2022
Tinubu has started already ....that he will end boko haram in 1 month in office ,that he will wipe off poverty and dollar will come down few days in office ,that he will do that and do this .....abi you never read today papers ?
Beehshorp:
Re: 2023: How Will The Lifting Of Twitter Ban Favour The Current Administration? by blackboy(m): 2:10pm On Jan 13, 2022
Tinubu can be shown love. 2023 is round the corner
Re: 2023: How Will The Lifting Of Twitter Ban Favour The Current Administration? by Lapilolo: 2:25pm On Jan 13, 2022
Beehshorp:

I have thought of it as well grin They brough CHANGE it was Negativity all the way, 2019 they came with NEXT LEVEL na this time Nigerian Suffer pass. Nothing will work for them again.
Re: 2023: How Will The Lifting Of Twitter Ban Favour The Current Administration? by Rebelutionary: 2:59pm On Jan 13, 2022
evansjeff:
It’s no longer news that the Federal Government has lifted the suspension of Twitter in Nigeria. Since the news broke yesterday, many Nigerians on social media including this platform have been of the opinion that this is connected with the 2023 elections, some argued that they lifted the ban because they know they need it to campaign for the elections.

Now, as a neutral, I’ve found it difficult wrapping my head around this argument, because recalling from previous elections, one may say that if favours the current administration more to continue with the suspension as many who voted them into power do not even use the platform, in fact, some of them don’t even know what it is used for or how to use the platform.

Again, considering the fact that the government is aware that many young and smart Nigerians use the platform for stern criticism of the administration and could be an important asset in exposing the negative activities going on the country and thereby affecting their chances in the forth coming elections,

How many Nigerians even follow government officials on Twitter? Even those that follow them do so so as to have an opportunity to criticize them directly.

So I’m still trying to figure out how this is related to the 2023 elections and I hope comments here can help.
Nigerians especially nairalanders just like recycled thought-one person says something and a herd follows! To digress a little, I remember when Sanusi L Sanusi was dethroned by Ganduje. The talk here was oh we know their game-it is positioning for 2023 and bla bla...interestingly those who mouthed all that have forgotten.

IF what the government said they sought to achieve by banning twitter (I mean those 6 objectives or so), then in the long run this government has gained not lost! I know some won't like this but it is what it is!

As to lifting the ban...how many people on twitter vote? If with the successive elections wr haven't learnt that twitter just like nairaland votes na wash.. then there ia something wrong with us! Voters are in their villages and towns not city folks who only mouth on social media!

Some one was talking about mining data about Nigerians mood...where do folks get this stuff from? A town hall meeting and u will get all the mood data not on twitter where there are just cruise catchers!

Abegii...

2 Likes

Re: 2023: How Will The Lifting Of Twitter Ban Favour The Current Administration? by gbemishile: 4:33pm On Jan 13, 2022
Elections ain't won on Twitter

1 Like

Re: 2023: How Will The Lifting Of Twitter Ban Favour The Current Administration? by DopeChick(m): 4:50pm On Jan 13, 2022
letitrainnow:
angry So they're lifting the ban because of the coming election, hmmmmm.

Check my signature for a unique offer.

Yes o, let's for for the best man.

Re: 2023: How Will The Lifting Of Twitter Ban Favour The Current Administration? by Dunga2345: 5:44pm On Jan 13, 2022
evansjeff:

They lifted it to favor their election campaign man.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Arabic Words and Letters on Naira Notes / Ganduje, 28 Governorship Candidates Sign Peace Accord In Kano (PHOTOS) / Aspirants Oppose APC’s Consensus Option For National Chairmanship

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.