Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,815 members, 7,820,880 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 12:27 AM

My Dad Is An American Citizen,does That Make Me One? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / My Dad Is An American Citizen,does That Make Me One? (1956 Views)

An American Woman Flies To Nigeria For Her First Meeting With Online Boyfriend / I Just Gave Birth To An American Baby!!! Please Rejoice With Me Guys!!! / Having A Brother As An American Citizen! What Are My Benefits? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Dad Is An American Citizen,does That Make Me One? by Tbvxl: 4:41pm On Jan 14, 2022
Yes! My dad has two wives , but the first wife had all her children in USA and my mum who's the second wife gave birth to me here. Now my mum is no more , but my dad being an American citizen,does that make me one?
I'm currently in my finals getting ready to go for Nysc. My question is him being a citizen, will that give me an advantage of making it easier for me when applying for an American visa? Like would I be given a passport instantly? .
Ps: He is in Nigeria for over 5yrs now and my sisters are over there married and doing fine.
Please enlighten me

Modified: I'd be 27 next month.
Re: My Dad Is An American Citizen,does That Make Me One? by Tbvxl: 4:52pm On Jan 14, 2022
Someone should reply me now
Re: My Dad Is An American Citizen,does That Make Me One? by nnennachiji(f): 5:05pm On Jan 14, 2022
Yes having an American citizen father makes you a citizen but there are conditions to be met
First your father must have lived in America for 5 years after he turned 14 years
And he must apply for CRBA for you before you turned 18 years
And some other conditions
My son was born in Nigeria in 2018 but I applied for CRBA which is equivalent of a birth certificate ( consular report of birth abroad) and a USA passport
He was just 4 months old when I did it and a DNA test was requested for. This is because it’s for only biological children
After the result of the DNA , he was approved for a CRBA and we also obtained his USA passport
My husband is the USA citizen
We have both relocated to the USA now.
It’s usually done before 18 years

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Dad Is An American Citizen,does That Make Me One? by otipoju(m): 5:07pm On Jan 14, 2022
Google is your best friend. And you can call the us embassy to ask.

Your dad as a citizen will have to apply for a green card for you. You are not a citizen automatically since you were not born there and he became one by naturalization. He would need to sponsor your green card as an Alien Relative.

https://www.immigrationdirect.com/immigration-articles/us-citizens-parent-sponsoring-child-over-21/

3 Likes

Re: My Dad Is An American Citizen,does That Make Me One? by dat9jaguy(m): 5:07pm On Jan 14, 2022
Guy, ask your old man.

Re: My Dad Is An American Citizen,does That Make Me One? by ttmacoy: 5:11pm On Jan 14, 2022
Was your dad a US citizen when you were born or did he become a US citizen after you were born?

If before then yes you might be a citizen, if not then no you will not be a citizen but he may be able to file for you depending on how old you are though it s a fairly long process.

Tbvxl:
Yes! My dad has two wives , but the first wife had all her children in USA and my mum who's the second wife gave birth to me here. Now my mum is no more , but my dad being an American citizen,does that make me one?
I'm currently in my finals getting ready to go for Nysc. My question is him being a citizen, will that give me an advantage of making it easier for me when applying for an American visa? Like would I be given a passport instantly? .
Ps: He is in Nigeria for over 5yrs now and my sisters are over there married and doing fine.
Please enlighten me
Re: My Dad Is An American Citizen,does That Make Me One? by ttmacoy: 5:12pm On Jan 14, 2022
It depends on when the father became a citizen because he said the firs wife gave birth in the US and his mother is the second wife which suggest the father was already a citizen by the time he was born which would make him a citizen at birth.

otipoju:
Google is your best friend. And you can call the us embassy to ask.

Your dad as a citizen will have to apply for a green card for you. You are not a citizen automatically since you were not born there and he became one by naturalization. He would need to sponsor your green card as an Alien Relative.

https://www.immigrationdirect.com/immigration-articles/us-citizens-parent-sponsoring-child-over-21/
Re: My Dad Is An American Citizen,does That Make Me One? by Firstorderwizard(m): 5:24pm On Jan 14, 2022
After going through the comments, I now understand why very sick old men who are supposed to be in elderly Care homes are leading over 100 million+ youths

2 Likes

Re: My Dad Is An American Citizen,does That Make Me One? by Tbvxl: 5:38pm On Jan 14, 2022
nnennachiji:
Yes having an American citizen father makes you a citizen but there are conditions to be met
First your father must have lived in America for 5 years after he turned 14 years
And he must apply for CRBA for you before you turned 18 years
And some other conditions
My son was born in Nigeria in 2018 but I applied for CRBA which is equivalent of a birth certificate ( consular report of birth abroad) and a USA passport
He was just 4 months old when I did it and a DNA test was requested for. This is because it’s for only biological children
After the result of the DNA , he was approved for a CRBA and we also obtained his USA passport
My husband is the USA citizen
We have both relocated to the USA now.
It’s usually done before 18 years

Alright thank you.
Yeah he has lived in USA for over 20yrs .
Re: My Dad Is An American Citizen,does That Make Me One? by Tbvxl: 5:40pm On Jan 14, 2022
ttmacoy:
Was your dad a US citizen when you were born or did he become a US citizen after you were born?

If before then yes you might be a citizen, if not then no you will not be a citizen but he may be able to file for you depending on how old you are though it s a fairly long process.

Yeah he was already a citizen before I was born.
Re: My Dad Is An American Citizen,does That Make Me One? by ttmacoy: 6:45pm On Jan 14, 2022
Based on that I think you may either be a US citizen already based on derivation or you may be eligible for citizenship.

I could not find the relevant page for the US embassy in Nigeria, but this should apply in Nigeria as well. You will need to contact the US embassy to confirm:
https://mh.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/derivative-u-s-citizenship-for-adults/

This site also provides more information on the different nuances and laws that apply based on when you were born, when you turned 18 etc. e.g. If you were 18 years old or younger on or after February 27, 2001 you may actually already be a citizen and will just need to prove you are yourself and other documents to confirm he is your father etc. and you can apply for a passport. Or there may be other steps required depending on which law is applicable based on your age etc.
https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/acquiring-deriving-citizenship-through-parents

I assume you are in good standing with your dad as you will need his support to prove your relationship. Given he was married to your mom I think it should be easy to do if you have the relevant marriage and birth certificates.

You will also need to be able to prove your dads citizenship so he will need to provide copies of his US passport etc. hence why I asked if you were in good standing with him.

Again I can't find the version for the US embassy in Nigeria but I expect it to be similar aside possibly a few differences but it gives you an idea of the types of documents you will need:
https://d2v9ipibika81v.cloudfront.net/uploads/sites/82/CITIZENSHIP-Derivative-Adult-Checklist-FINAL-JAN2020.pdf

Tbvxl:

Yeah he was already a citizen before I was born.
Re: My Dad Is An American Citizen,does That Make Me One? by nnennachiji(f): 7:00pm On Jan 14, 2022
I think you are eligible for derivative citizenship of an adult child of a USA citizen
Google it
Re: My Dad Is An American Citizen,does That Make Me One? by BigDawsNet: 7:14pm On Jan 14, 2022
Tbvxl:
Please enlighten me

The children of a U.S. citizen born abroad can be considered as an "immediate relatives," and therefore eligible for a green card, allowing them to live and work in the United States....

1 Like

Re: My Dad Is An American Citizen,does That Make Me One? by ttmacoy: 7:35pm On Jan 14, 2022
I think he is eligible for direct citizenship through derivation rather than green card. It would be green card if his dad became a US citizen after he was born not before.

Either way he needs to get documents like his birth corticate, marriage certificate of his parents, proof of his dad's US citizenship etc. and reach out to the embassy for more guidance

BigDawsNet:

The children of a U.S. citizen born abroad can be considered as an "immediate relatives," and therefore eligible for a green card, allowing them to live and work in the United States....

Re: My Dad Is An American Citizen,does That Make Me One? by BigDawsNet: 7:43pm On Jan 14, 2022
ttmacoy:
I think he is eligible for direct citizenship through derivation rather than green card. It would be green card if his dad became a US citizen after he was born not before.

Either way he needs to get documents like his birth corticate, marriage certificate of his parents, proof of his dad's US citizenship etc. and reach out to the embassy for more guidance

He said his 27
His dad hav been in the US for 20years

I'm not sure but we don't know if his dad got citizenship at 7th year of his arrival in the US...

Let say his dad got citizenship at 10year of arrival in the US...

The dude haz been born already...

All dis would not be necessary if his Dad was a US citizen by birth...but it sounds more like a cititzen by neutralization...

My advice for the guy is to follow the Greencard route...

With his Greencard... In less than 3 years ..he can secure a passport

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Dad Is An American Citizen,does That Make Me One? by Ashirioluwa: 7:53pm On Jan 14, 2022
Tbvxl:
Please enlighten me

No that doesn’t make you an American citizen but your dad can petition for you so you can get immigrant visa. If this visa is approved then you can apply for US citizenship after staying for 5 years in the US.

Your siblings (age 21 and above) can petition for you too since you have same father.

The only problem in your case is your age. Because you an adult child, the petition or application will take at least 6 to 10 years for it to be processed. Some people have been waiting for more than 10 years.

It will have been quicker if your dad applied for you before you turned adult.

1 Like

Re: My Dad Is An American Citizen,does That Make Me One? by ttmacoy: 8:38pm On Jan 14, 2022
Thanks I didn't see the age 27. I did ask if his dad was a citizen before or after he was born and he said before, but if as you say he is 27 and his father has been a citizen for 20 years then you are right he has to go through the green card route.

This all depends on the relationship he has with his father as he will have to file for him as an immediate relative. I have not seen any indication form his posts that he is in touch with or in good relation with his father if the guy has been a citizen for 20 years and not made any attempt to get him over.

BigDawsNet:

He said his 27
His dad hav been in the US for 20years

I'm not sure but we don't know if his dad got citizenship at 7th year of his arrival in the US...

Let say his dad got citizenship at 10year of arrival in the US...

The dude haz been born already...

All dis would not be necessary if his Dad was a US citizen by birth...but it sounds more like a cititzen by neutralization...

My advice for the guy is to follow the Greencard route...

With his Greencard... In less than 3 years ..he can secure a passport
Re: My Dad Is An American Citizen,does That Make Me One? by BigDawsNet: 8:48pm On Jan 14, 2022
ttmacoy:
Thanks I didn't see the age 27. I did ask if his dad was a citizen before or after he was born and he said before, but if as you say he is 27 and his father has been a citizen for 20 years then you are right he has to go through the green card route.

This all depends on the relationship he has with his father as he will have to file for him as an immediate relative. I have not seen any indication form his posts that he is in touch with or in good relation with his father if the guy has been a citizen for 20 years and not made any attempt to get him over.

Relationship with his father is a different thing entirely... We shouldn't really interfere...

Our only advice he asked was how to get the citizenship...

Right now I will advice him to talk to his dad and they can start an immigrant visa process for him ....
I hope and pray his Dad go along with the plan so he can migrate and start a life for himself and his future family

1 Like

Re: My Dad Is An American Citizen,does That Make Me One? by Tbvxl: 8:50pm On Jan 14, 2022
ttmacoy:

Thanks for your contribution so far.
The thing is I am not on good terms with him.
He wasn't legally married to my mum before she died.
I just want to use the opportunity that he is a citizen to get my own passport.
Please give more knowledge to this.
Can I still go through the green card route?
Re: My Dad Is An American Citizen,does That Make Me One? by Tbvxl: 8:52pm On Jan 14, 2022
BigDawsNet:

Relationship with his father is a different thing entirely... We shouldn't really interfere...

Right now I will advice him to talk to his dad and they can start an immigrant visa process for him ....
I hope and pray his Dad go along with the plan so he can migrate and start a life for himself and his future family

Thank you so much for this
Re: My Dad Is An American Citizen,does That Make Me One? by BigDawsNet: 8:54pm On Jan 14, 2022
Tbvxl:

Thank you so much for this

Goodluck brother
Re: My Dad Is An American Citizen,does That Make Me One? by ttmacoy: 8:54pm On Jan 14, 2022
I get your point, the reason I brought that up is that is essential to him being sponsored. Also there are residency requirements for the father to sponsor him as an immediate relative so if his father moved back to Nigeria five years ago that may be a stumbling block.

The point about being married to his mother or not is also relevant as there will be extra steps required to prove he is his father (proof of legitimization) if out of wedlock as opposed to just submitting a birth and marriage certificate.

Yes I agree he doesn't need to share details here on a public forum, he should go check the requirements for sponsorship to see if he can meet them, and as you said he needs to try to get his father's support.

BigDawsNet:

1 Like

Re: My Dad Is An American Citizen,does That Make Me One? by BigDawsNet: 9:11pm On Jan 14, 2022
ttmacoy:
I get your point, the reason I brought that up is that is essential to him being sponsored. Also there are residency requirements for the father to sponsor him as an immediate relative so if his father moved back to Nigeria five years ago that may be a stumbling block.

Yes I agree he doesn't need to share details here on a public forum, he should go check the requirements for sponsorship to see if he can meet them, and as you said he needs to try to get his father's support.

I really don't think it will matter much right now
His father has been living outside the US for 5years as a US citizen...

The guy may want to require an assistant of an immigration lawyer in this level before applying or his father filling anything...

If his dad was a greencard holder...I would hav ruled out the relocation Tru his father completely...but his a US citizen so it doesn't really matter much but still...the road path has now become zigzags for the guy because the said father has already proving to choose other country as a home...

The US state department will hav to wonder who's gonna have to help this guy settle in, if he arrives in the US...

I dint notice he mentioned his dad haz been away for years ..

So let him or his Dad find a US immigration lawyer and explain what's on ground and they will suggest the best plan for him...

In the meantime... Try and follow this US immigration lawyer on ticktock...
He handle couples of cases like this....and you can message him and explain yourself and your dad status...

He will give out an advice...
"sdimmigrationlawyer" follow on ticktock

2 Likes

Re: My Dad Is An American Citizen,does That Make Me One? by Originalsly: 7:43am On Jan 15, 2022
BigDawsNet:

The above is true. At 27 ...you have passed the age when you can file to become a citizen because your father is a citizen.
Re: My Dad Is An American Citizen,does That Make Me One? by bake19: 11:06am On Jan 15, 2022
Your dad couldn't have married your mom legally, it would have resulted in him committing bigamy, which is an offence in usa. Try and mend fences with him what's in the past is in the past.

1 Like

Re: My Dad Is An American Citizen,does That Make Me One? by lily156: 4:09am On Jan 17, 2022
Don't let too many people confuse you.

1) You may qualify for citizenship if your father was a citizen before you were born. It doesn't matter how old you are. There are certain requirements to be met. https://www.uscis.gov/policy-manual/volume-12-part-h-chapter-3

2) If your father became a citizen after you were born, then he can file for you in the following categories depending on YOUR marital status:
First: (F1) Unmarried Sons and Daughters of U.S. Citizens: 23,400 plus any numbers not required for fourth preference.
OR
Third: (F3) Married Sons and Daughters of U.S. Citizens: 23,400, plus any numbers not required by first and second preferences.

F1 will take about 8 years. F3 will take about 14 years. Based on the current visa bulletin.

Ask a lawyer on avvo .com

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Canada Visa Opportunity / Travel To Canada For Free / Coventry/wolverhampton University?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.