Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,640 members, 7,820,249 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:06 PM

What Can I Do To Resolve CEL Issue Permanently? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / What Can I Do To Resolve CEL Issue Permanently? (840 Views)

Check Engine Light And How Do I Resolve? / CEL On My Camry, Error Codes Scanned. Please Advise. / Need A Good Re-wire To Resolve My PASSAT 2001 Model Issue. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Can I Do To Resolve CEL Issue Permanently? by myorh: 11:02pm On Jan 15, 2022
Good evening gurus in the house.
My car initially came up with Check Engine Light. I scanned it and it showed Cylinder 4 misfire code (It had shown Cylinder 3 misfire before which I took to my mechanic, he cleared the code and advised that I buy Octane booster when next I fill up my Tank, that our fuels here are mostly the cause. I did that and car was okay for like a week).

I noticed it vibrates when I start it up just before the CEL and it latter settles. But one morning, I tried starting it but it didn’t come up at all until after cranking it for a while and stepping on the throttle simultaneously. I took it to the mechanic immediately after that, he serviced/ cleaned the nozzles this time and said it’s fine.

Fast forward to 2 days after, the same vibration started again and when I scanned it, it showed the Cylinder 4 misfire code again (mind you I had already changed the 4 plugs and two ignition coils some months back when a misfire code came up)

Please gurus in the house, what can I do to permanently resolve this issue?
It’s a 2013 Toyota Camry.

Re: What Can I Do To Resolve CEL Issue Permanently? by Dozieson(m): 4:24am On Jan 16, 2022
myorh:
Good evening gurus in the house.
My car initially came up with Check Engine Light. I scanned it and it showed Cylinder 4 misfire code (It had shown Cylinder 3 misfire before which I took to my mechanic, he cleared the code and advised that I buy Octane booster when next I fill up my Tank, that our fuels here are mostly the cause. I did that and car was okay for like a week).

I noticed it vibrates when I start it up just before the CEL and it latter settles. But one morning, I tried starting it but it didn’t come up at all until after cranking it for a while and stepping on the throttle simultaneously. I took it to the mechanic immediately after that, he serviced/ cleaned the nozzles this time and said it’s fine.

Fast forward to 2 days after, the same vibration started again and when I scanned it, it showed the Cylinder 4 misfire code again (mind you I had already changed the 4 plugs and two ignition coils some months back when a misfire code came up)

Please gurus in the house, what can I do to permanently resolve this issue?
It’s a 2013 Toyota Camry.

Why not share the code here? The misfire code is misleading. It could be something else
Re: What Can I Do To Resolve CEL Issue Permanently? by myorh: 5:02am On Jan 16, 2022
Dozieson:

Why not share the code here? The misfire code is misleading. It could be something else

I have added the pic to the post
Re: What Can I Do To Resolve CEL Issue Permanently? by autologic: 10:18am On Jan 16, 2022
Futher test is required on cylinder 4 to determine the issue .From the information supplied already ,issue is tending towards mechanical integrity issue on the engine.
Go for engine analysis troubleshooting as demonstrated in this 21st century mechanical diagnosis test
https://youtube.com/shorts/setkz2cJAMw?feature=share

Re: What Can I Do To Resolve CEL Issue Permanently? by myorh: 11:11am On Jan 16, 2022
autologic:
Futher test is required on cylinder 4 to determine the issue .From the information supplied already ,issue is tending towards mechanical integrity issue on the engine.
Go for engine analysis troubleshooting .

Thanks for the response. Would contact you for this.
Re: What Can I Do To Resolve CEL Issue Permanently? by Dozieson(m): 1:07pm On Jan 16, 2022
myorh:

I have added the pic to the post

From what I can see, you need to get an original plug for cylinder 4. Or try swapping cylinder 1 and 4 plugs to know if the plug is actually the issue. The code is obviously pointing to the plug of cylinder 4

2 Likes

Re: What Can I Do To Resolve CEL Issue Permanently? by chukel(m): 6:06am On Jan 17, 2022
Sorry about your ordeal. Injector cleaner, cleaned nozzles.... on a 2013 camry? How do you guys allow roadside mechanics mess with such recent cars? Good you have a scanner. I bet the plugs you threw in there are not the recommended plugs. Cylinder 4 misfire could be the plug, the injector or harness or even the cylinder itself. But i wouldn't think of cylinder. Coil will usually throw a coil code. You have changed plugs, coils and "serviced" injectors. Your problem is likely from the work done. Change where you buy fuel too.

3 Likes

Re: What Can I Do To Resolve CEL Issue Permanently? by myorh: 11:59am On Jan 18, 2022
Thanks everyone for your contributions, I’m not actually using a road side mechanic. I only call them for not so technical stuffs that I know I can supervise my self like changing bulbs and all.
Tried starting the car yesterday and it didn’t come up again until I did my normal ritual or giving it gas. Took it back to my mechanic after I was able to start it (This time, I made sure it was the main guy that attended to me). And it was checked again, he found out that it was two of the plugs that was faulty and for the issue of the car not starting, he said the battery was already getting weak so I replaced the battery. So far, its been good.
Still watching for some time. Hopefully that resolves it totally.

1 Like

Re: What Can I Do To Resolve CEL Issue Permanently? by Dozieson(m): 12:08pm On Jan 18, 2022
myorh:
Thanks everyone for your contributions, I’m not actually using a road side mechanic. I only call them for not so technical stuffs that I know I can supervise my self like changing bulbs and all.
Tried starting the car yesterday and it didn’t come up again until I did my normal ritual or giving it gas. Took it back to my mechanic after I was able to start it (This time, I made sure it was the main guy that attended to me). And it was checked again, he found out that it was two of the plugs that was faulty and for the issue of the car not starting, he said the battery was already getting weak so I replaced the battery. So far, its been good.

Good luck. Try and stick with diagnosis before any repair works on your car
Re: What Can I Do To Resolve CEL Issue Permanently? by chukel(m): 7:22am On Jan 19, 2022
myorh:
battery was getting weak from the several cranks you give the car in tge morning to start. A weak battery will not start the car when the throttle pedal is floored. If that cranking issue continues, there is a problem with fuel delivery or engine coolant temperature switch.

1 Like

Re: What Can I Do To Resolve CEL Issue Permanently? by myorh: 2:10pm On Jan 19, 2022
chukel:
battery was getting weak from the several cranks you give the car in tge morning to start. A weak battery will not start the car when the throttle pedal is floored. If that cranking issue continues, there is a problem with fuel delivery or engine coolant temperature switch.

Thanks, I’d have to watch. It hasn’t done that since the last time
Re: What Can I Do To Resolve CEL Issue Permanently? by myorh: 2:11pm On Jan 19, 2022
Dozieson:

Good luck. Try and stick with diagnosis before any repair works on your car
Thank you. Yeah, definitely.

(1) (Reply)

Driving With AC ON And A Container Of FUEL Inside The Car. / Car Demurrage / Premium Bugatti Veyron Spotted In France

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.