Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,836 members, 7,810,215 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:18 AM

CEL On My Camry, Error Codes Scanned. Please Advise. - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / CEL On My Camry, Error Codes Scanned. Please Advise. (3340 Views)

What Can I Do To Resolve CEL Issue Permanently? / Help With These Error Codes On Toyota Camry 2007 LE / My Scanned Honda Codes (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

CEL On My Camry, Error Codes Scanned. Please Advise. by SerPounce(m): 3:33pm On Jan 04, 2018
Good afternoon guys,

The check engine light came up on my Camry 09. The ABS light also comes on after driving on an increased speed for a while.

Had it scanned today and got the following codes:

P0420 - Catalyst system efficiency below threshold (bank 1)
C0205 - Front speed sensor LH circuit
C0200 - Front speed sensor RH circuit
C1330 - Open circuit in right front speed circuit.

The mechanic says the last three codes will be cleared after we change the defective sensors.

For the P0420 code, he advised importing new CAT and O2 sensors from outside the country as the best option (the prohibitive costs given the exchange rates make this an unlikely option at the moment). Besides, he says after the change, there's no guarantee the CEL won't still come up after some time given the fuel we use over here.

I read something on an earlier thread by adanny01 about using spacers. More info will be needed on this please. This is my first car and I as yet don't have much DIY experience.

Kindly advise, thanks.

Cc adanny01, nissparts, gazzuzz.
Re: CEL On My Camry, Error Codes Scanned. Please Advise. by mayor2013: 3:50pm On Jan 04, 2018
SerPounce:

Good afternoon guys,

The check engine light came up on my Camry 09. The ABS light also comes on after driving on an increased speed for a while.

The mechanic says the last three codes will be cleared after we change the defective sensors.

For the P0420 code, he advised importing new CAT and O2 sensors from outside the country as the best option (the prohibitive costs given the exchange rates make this an unlikely option at the moment). Besides, he says after the change, there's no guarantee the CEL won't still come up after some time given the fuel we use over here.

I read something on an earlier thread by adanny01 about using spacers. More info will be needed on this please. This is my first car and I as yet don't have much DIY experience.

Kindly advise, thanks.

So after buying a new cat your check engine light would still remain. You can get a very good toks
Re: CEL On My Camry, Error Codes Scanned. Please Advise. by SerPounce(m): 4:14pm On Jan 04, 2018
mayor2013:

So after buying a new cat your check engine light would still remain. You can get a very good toks

He says the CEL light would go off, but would eventually come on again after the vehicle attains a certain mileage. According to him, this is because of the nature of fuel we use.

He also said the toks have a 50/50 chance. Where can I source a good toks then? Thanks.
Re: CEL On My Camry, Error Codes Scanned. Please Advise. by SerPounce(m): 5:16pm On Jan 04, 2018
Advice will be appreciated. Thanks.
Re: CEL On My Camry, Error Codes Scanned. Please Advise. by mayor2013: 6:52pm On Jan 04, 2018
SerPounce:

He says the CEL light would go off, but would eventually come on again after the vehicle attains a certain mileage. According to him, this is because of the nature of fuel we use.

He also said the toks have a 50/50 chance. Where can I source a good toks then? Thanks.

Check my signature I can supply you a very good toks
Re: CEL On My Camry, Error Codes Scanned. Please Advise. by SerPounce(m): 7:25am On Jan 05, 2018
Will do. But is changing the CAT the best option? Given the likelihood of the error code coming up again. More inputs please.
Re: CEL On My Camry, Error Codes Scanned. Please Advise. by bravolad(m): 7:42am On Jan 05, 2018
SerPounce:

Good afternoon guys,

Kindly advise, thanks.

Replacing the cat will take care of the P0420. Usually, a good Toks should solve the problem. Remember if you don't change the cat, u may have an engine failure in the long run.

As for the 02 sensor, get a Toks with guarantee & you have the problem solved. I have used Toks 02 sensor in the last 6 years in different cars & never have the CEL back. The fuel imported in this country is terribly poor & low quality.
Re: CEL On My Camry, Error Codes Scanned. Please Advise. by mayor2013: 7:49am On Jan 05, 2018
I still do not believe in the fuel ish that damages o2 sensors and catalytic converters I have my car running for 4years never have I changed my o2 sensors. Misfires, wrong use of engine oil, wrong use of spark plugs and just to mention a few are the major destroyers of these components

1 Like

Re: CEL On My Camry, Error Codes Scanned. Please Advise. by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:21am On Jan 05, 2018
SerPounce:

Good afternoon guys,

Kindly advise, thanks.

Cc .

explain the bolded in detail.
Re: CEL On My Camry, Error Codes Scanned. Please Advise. by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:24am On Jan 05, 2018
mayor2013:
I still do not believe in the fuel ish that damages o2 sensors and catalytic converters I have my car running for 4years never have I changed my o2 sensors. Misfires, wrong use of engine oil, wrong use of spark plugs and just to mention a few are the major destroyers of these components

ford explorer 2012 bought brand new, 43,000miles later, catalyst blocked.

Pilot 2012 bought brand new 53,000km catalyst blocked

I have seen cases like. These over 30 times in 2017 what do you think the problem is? Our driving pattern? grin
Re: CEL On My Camry, Error Codes Scanned. Please Advise. by bravolad(m): 8:27am On Jan 05, 2018
mayor2013:

Personally, I use the recommended engine oil & spark plugs for my cars. So what could have damaged my cat & 02 sensor?
Re: CEL On My Camry, Error Codes Scanned. Please Advise. by thebigkendo(m): 8:39am On Jan 05, 2018
GAZZUZZ:

I have seen cases like. These over 30 times in 2017 what do you think the problem is? Our driving pattern? grin

And our bad road grin grin grin grin
Re: CEL On My Camry, Error Codes Scanned. Please Advise. by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:54am On Jan 05, 2018
mayor u use a car built for war, corrola 2003-2006 catalyst does not get blocked in this model, if there is any restriction, engine burns out the catalyst completely and you are left with an empty port. wink
Re: CEL On My Camry, Error Codes Scanned. Please Advise. by SerPounce(m): 11:59am On Jan 05, 2018
bravolad:

Replacing the cat will take care of the P0420. Usually, a good Toks should solve the problem. Remember if you don't change the cat, u may have an engine failure in the long run.

As for the 02 sensor, get a Toks with guarantee & you have the problem solved. I have used Toks 02 sensor in the last 6 years in different cars & never have the CEL back. The fuel imported in this country is terribly poor & low quality.

Thanks for the response. The boldest is my biggest fear. Will do that as soon as I can get competent hands to source and replace the CAT. Thanks to info I've gotten from this forum, I'm wary of incompetent hands working on my vehicle.
Re: CEL On My Camry, Error Codes Scanned. Please Advise. by SerPounce(m): 12:12pm On Jan 05, 2018
GAZZUZZ:

explain the bolded in detail.

Thanks Gazzuzz. When I start the car for the first time and drive at low speeds, the ABS does not come on. But when I pick up speed, say, when driving on the highway it comes up and remains until I turn off the ignition. Start up again, no abs light, pick up speed, ABS comes on and remains till ignition is turned off.
Re: CEL On My Camry, Error Codes Scanned. Please Advise. by GAZZUZZ(m): 1:15pm On Jan 05, 2018
SerPounce:

Thanks Gazzuzz. When I start the car for the first time and drive at low speeds, the ABS does not come on. But when I pick up speed, say, when driving on the highway it comes up and remains until I turn off the ignition. Start up again, no abs light, pick up speed, ABS comes on and remains till ignition is turned off.

the quoted might not be the present issue.

Clear all abs codes and re-scan.

Preferably run a live speed scan.
Re: CEL On My Camry, Error Codes Scanned. Please Advise. by mayor2013: 10:26pm On Jan 05, 2018
bravolad:

Personally, I use the recommended engine oil & spark plugs for my cars. So what could have damaged my cat & 02 sensor?

Cats would damage by default over a period they are not built to last for life. What car is this by the way?
Re: CEL On My Camry, Error Codes Scanned. Please Advise. by mayor2013: 10:29pm On Jan 05, 2018
GAZZUZZ:

Ford in this case would be an exception for me. Any fault comes when it comes to their products
Re: CEL On My Camry, Error Codes Scanned. Please Advise. by mayor2013: 10:30pm On Jan 05, 2018
GAZZUZZ:
mayor u use a car built for war, corrola 2003-2006 catalyst does not get blocked in this model, if there is any restriction, engine burns out the catalyst completely and you are left with an empty port. wink

Have not seen the Boko boys used it for war grin
Re: CEL On My Camry, Error Codes Scanned. Please Advise. by bravolad(m): 8:30am On Jan 06, 2018
mayor2013:

Cats would damage by default over a period they are not built to last for life. What car is this by the way?

@Mayor2013, I replaced the cat & 02 sensor on my sienna with toks and used it for over 3 years before selling & codes never came back. Replaced my Camry cat last year with toks & it's still going strong.

Finally, I replaced my RX330 02 sensor last year & it's been great.

Primarily, the quality of our fuel impact these items. I think that 90% of those using 2008 and above vehicles will have their CEL on.
Re: CEL On My Camry, Error Codes Scanned. Please Advise. by kingreign(m): 8:50am On Jan 06, 2018
filling the engine oil beyond the max mark, poor fuel, prolonged unattended misfire, village people can cause damage to catalytic converters.
Re: CEL On My Camry, Error Codes Scanned. Please Advise. by kingreign(m): 8:54am On Jan 06, 2018
GAZZUZZ:
same with lexus circa 04-09 but when it burns it, LTFT & STFT will shoot up their values this means fuel gulping.
Re: CEL On My Camry, Error Codes Scanned. Please Advise. by obekediamondfuto(m): 4:48pm On Jan 07, 2018
are we forgetting the role air filters have got to play in the life our cats? a dirty filter (to me is one of the most ignored component) can clot the maf with dirt, which in turn sends wrong signals ..... ripple effect which eventually gets the cat filled with unburnt fuel causing failure of the cat con. major problems of cat con comes from dirty maf( for vehicles with Maf sensor sha)
Re: CEL On My Camry, Error Codes Scanned. Please Advise. by scarplanet(m): 6:52pm On Jan 07, 2018
for the love of Christ, who can tell me where one can scan a car in Owerri please?

you can help me with the number of the person if possible. Thanks
Re: CEL On My Camry, Error Codes Scanned. Please Advise. by obekediamondfuto(m): 8:42pm On Jan 07, 2018
scarplanet:
for the love of Christ, who can tell me where one can scan a car in Owerri please?

hahahahahaa no b small tin oh, can u get us hands in on of those small Bluetooth scanners? I doubt if u will get any place or tech capable of doing comprehensive scan. there is a very pompous guy (his name is forgotten) @ naze junction that uses the skeletal launch creader, he'll bill u 5k for diagnosis sha.

cc Grimaldi please help a guy out
Re: CEL On My Camry, Error Codes Scanned. Please Advise. by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:51pm On Jan 07, 2018
scarplanet:

obekediamondfuto:

hahahahahaa no b small tin oh, can u get us hands in on of those small Bluetooth scanners? I doubt if u will get any place or tech capable of doing comprehensive scan. there is a very pompous guy (his name is forgotten) @ naze junction that uses the skeletal launch creader, he'll bill u 5k for diagnosis sha.

one of the bois that benefited from the free strike training is in owerri, I gifted him a scanner call 0814 646 4899 Mr oriaku

Re: CEL On My Camry, Error Codes Scanned. Please Advise. by obekediamondfuto(m): 10:00pm On Jan 07, 2018
GAZZUZZ:

one of the bois that benefited from the free strike training is in owerri, I gifted him a scanner call 0814 646 4899 Mr oriaku

chai gazuzz eh, that Mr oriaku don hammer be that oh!
comprehensive scanner? na 50k per diagnosis be that, scarplanet do the needful!
Re: CEL On My Camry, Error Codes Scanned. Please Advise. by GAZZUZZ(m): 10:27pm On Jan 07, 2018
obekediamondfuto:

chai gazuzz eh, that Mr oriaku don hammer be that oh!
comprehensive scanner? na 50k per diagnosis be that, scarplanet do the needful!

basic scanner
Re: CEL On My Camry, Error Codes Scanned. Please Advise. by scarplanet(m): 10:34pm On Jan 07, 2018
GAZZUZZ:

Will reach him.. Thank you
Re: CEL On My Camry, Error Codes Scanned. Please Advise. by FreshMekanik: 11:17am On Jan 08, 2018
obekediamondfuto:

Owerri really lack up to date mechanics. searched the other day with no result.
Re: CEL On My Camry, Error Codes Scanned. Please Advise. by chukel(m): 2:29pm On Jan 08, 2018
mayor2013:

heavily leaded will hasten the damage process.
Re: CEL On My Camry, Error Codes Scanned. Please Advise. by chukel(m): 2:31pm On Jan 08, 2018
scarplanet:

Will reach him.. Thank you
by month end, I will be in owerri. Will sort you out if you still need services. Can also provide u with a basic scanner.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Kia Parts/engine NEEDED / Help Me Choose Between Honda Accord 03-08 And Honda Pilot 03-06 / How Profitable Is Cab Business In Abuja

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.