Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,521 members, 7,816,277 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:39 AM

How Much Of Your Salary Should Be Used To Pay Your Rent? - Properties (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / How Much Of Your Salary Should Be Used To Pay Your Rent? (27339 Views)

Your Annual Rent Shouldn't Exceed Your Two Months Salary. If It Does / How To Pay Your Rent With Ease! Introducing Paymyrent.ng Savings / Edo Landlord Burns Down His House Over Tenants’ Refusal To Pay Rent (Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Much Of Your Salary Should Be Used To Pay Your Rent? by Rubbiish(m): 12:03pm On Jan 28, 2022
aikyg:
Your salary for one month should be able to pay your rent for one year. If your salary cannot pay your rent for one year, then you need to either find a better paying Job or a side hustle.
This is not realistic
Majority of Nigerians are earning around 100k to 300k. Saying only one month salary should cover rent is not realistic for majority

11 Likes

Re: How Much Of Your Salary Should Be Used To Pay Your Rent? by AlphaStyles(m): 12:10pm On Jan 28, 2022
Skyfornia:

So if someone has a business that generates income of 100k monthly and he needed an assistant to work with him...he should be paying the assistant more than he is paying himself?
maybe that 100k earner doesnt need an assistant

1 Like

Re: How Much Of Your Salary Should Be Used To Pay Your Rent? by BigDawsNet: 12:11pm On Jan 28, 2022
1 week wages will cover my rent for the month

The rest and extra income goes to bills+food+savings+gifts

2 Likes

Re: How Much Of Your Salary Should Be Used To Pay Your Rent? by socialmediaman: 12:12pm On Jan 28, 2022
Calibrator:
God bless whoever created this thread....

Went house hunting this week.
I purposely went through the forum archives on Wednesday to search for this exact topic and read through 16 pages of insightful contributions.

Getting fresh perspectives on this new thread won't hurt.

There’s also Google with tons of advice on this topic from experienced financial experts
Re: How Much Of Your Salary Should Be Used To Pay Your Rent? by Prechgold1180(m): 12:15pm On Jan 28, 2022
lokobyforch:
How u go rent house when u dey earn 40k, my friend go follow person stay jare.

Transportation- 8,000(20%)

Feeding- 20,000(50%)

Soap, cream, body spray, subscription, babe- 8,000(20%)

Savings( Incase u dey sick)- 4,000(10%)

Simply put; u never reach to rent hoz.
Who u dey impress!
back then when life they show me shege
I go rent hus of 150 per year
My salary nah 14800 minus tax

Omo year end i pack go my mama hus I nur fit shout
Thank God for life now

7 Likes

Re: How Much Of Your Salary Should Be Used To Pay Your Rent? by OgunkeelAllMod: 12:17pm On Jan 28, 2022
sad For Abuja here, most of our money goes into rent angry ..part why we dey vex,especially if na flat or sefcon(standard)na baba werey rent cheesy

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: How Much Of Your Salary Should Be Used To Pay Your Rent? by Halo22: 12:20pm On Jan 28, 2022
I don't understand what people mean by 2 or 3 months salary cos what I spend on rent in Enugu is about 45% of my annual salary. If not for side hustle, person for don pack go villa. Imagine paying up to 500k for a 2---bedroom flat.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Much Of Your Salary Should Be Used To Pay Your Rent? by Winneygirl(f): 12:22pm On Jan 28, 2022
10% of your annual income.
Or 2 months salary.
Anything more, you will be going outside what is affordable based on your income.
Remember that you will pay for PHCN and PHCN bill can be as high as your monthly rent.
You might also pay for water, security, fuel for generator etc.
So.... 10% max of your annual income.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Much Of Your Salary Should Be Used To Pay Your Rent? by Newdawn123: 12:24pm On Jan 28, 2022
Let's support you to own that dream car or asset. Get across to us today 08090551830

Re: How Much Of Your Salary Should Be Used To Pay Your Rent? by lokobyforch(m): 12:25pm On Jan 28, 2022
Prechgold1180:
back then when life they show me shege
I go rent hus of 150 per year
My salary nah 14800 minus tax

Omo year end i pack go my mama hus I nur fit shout
Thank God for life now

Na d gospel truth be dat, unless u get where u wan dey thief dey balance up.
Re: How Much Of Your Salary Should Be Used To Pay Your Rent? by lokobyforch(m): 12:29pm On Jan 28, 2022
Skyfornia:

Calm down and make your point...no be fight.

Let's say I have a business and opened another business that requires a salesgirl, and the new business is generating less than 100k profit. How much am I supposed to pay the sales girl...or are you saying I shouldn't have opened the new business or hired a sales girl for the new business?

Sorry if I sounded offensive, now u are making me understand that u don't intend living on this new business, if u are earning 100k profit u can as well pay 30-40k, mind u business increase as the day goes by, so u have nothing to worry about.
Re: How Much Of Your Salary Should Be Used To Pay Your Rent? by CocoaOla: 12:30pm On Jan 28, 2022
Nigerians are poor

2 Likes

Re: How Much Of Your Salary Should Be Used To Pay Your Rent? by Paramount01(m): 12:33pm On Jan 28, 2022
Itsrm:
My rent is 5.3 percent of my annual salary and 3.1% of annual income.

This has made me the darling of my landlord because I find it easy to pay and pay him promptly

My side hustle is more than what I realize in a month
Should I still now rent house base on what I earn as salary or I add it with my side hustle and take house
Re: How Much Of Your Salary Should Be Used To Pay Your Rent? by TUTU147: 12:35pm On Jan 28, 2022
federal9:
I earn 650,000 a month. My house rent is 700,000 a year. Almost one and a half months of my salary goes to rent.
You are one of the luckiest nigerian.You don't know what God Almighty have done for us.some of us have served the government for 15years yet our salary is not up to 80k.We have wife and children and other relatives.This is one of the reasons some of us dey vex.

2 Likes

Re: How Much Of Your Salary Should Be Used To Pay Your Rent? by Newboss(m): 12:37pm On Jan 28, 2022
Only dumb people follow those rules.

If the rules were to be followed, most people in major cities around the world will be homeless not because they don't have money to pay rent.

Those rules are for the ideal world. The world is real, not ideal

3 Likes

Re: How Much Of Your Salary Should Be Used To Pay Your Rent? by Glaxxs: 12:37pm On Jan 28, 2022
Rubbiish:

This is not realistic
Majority of Nigerians are earning around 100k to 300k. Saying only one month salary should cover rent is not realistic for majority
Dont mind that chap, not sure he/she pays rent.

1 Like

Re: How Much Of Your Salary Should Be Used To Pay Your Rent? by OgunkeelAllMod: 12:40pm On Jan 28, 2022
Rubbiish:

This is not realistic
Bruv, I don't understand what you mean by MAJORITY of Nigerians earning up to 200-300k per what? Have you forgotten minimum wage? Hmm, many Nigerians in big cities like Abuja,, Lagos, etc live in shanties, shacks, ghetto3, slums, suburbs! A helluva lot! Check out during close of the day traffic direction. Thousands of cars, okada, keke heading out of the city center (with Quarters, estates, duplexes, apartment block, condos, pent houses etc) to those destination I mentioned. That's the Actual reallty. Majority of the guys and babes you see well dressed live in most of these low budget areas where rooms are gotten for as low as 3k per month undecided Public house, so to say, and many are struggling even to meet up with that meager amount! Some people (guys and babes) like 2 to 3 in a single room undecided..most Nigerians live miserably o

6 Likes

Re: How Much Of Your Salary Should Be Used To Pay Your Rent? by AgentGoat: 12:40pm On Jan 28, 2022
lokobyforch:

Feeding- 20,000(50%)

Who u dey impress!

This sentence ' your rent should not be more than your 3 months salary'. Is it that you won't feed and do other necessary living expenses for 3 months and just transfer the money to the landlord?

Most people on salary Jobs are just working for their landlords year in year out.
Re: How Much Of Your Salary Should Be Used To Pay Your Rent? by TUTU147: 12:40pm On Jan 28, 2022
Na people when dey receive salary above 200k fit use one month salary pay house rent for a year.Some of us have served the government for 15years,yet our salary never reach 80k.We have wife and children and other relatives.Some of us are posted to cities where things are very expensive,and yet the government don't want to do anything about it.Na God dey see us through if not I don't know how person fit survive.

1 Like

Re: How Much Of Your Salary Should Be Used To Pay Your Rent? by itsene: 12:42pm On Jan 28, 2022
Government apartments: 10 to 20%.
Private apartments: max 30%.
Labour unions, cooperatives, local
and state governments should invest in housing.

1 Like

Re: How Much Of Your Salary Should Be Used To Pay Your Rent? by TUTU147: 12:42pm On Jan 28, 2022
OgunkeelAllMod:
Bruv, I don't understand what you mean by MAJORITY of Nigerians earning up to 200-300k per what? Have you forgotten minimum wage? Hmm, many Nigerians in big cities like Abuja,, Lagos, etc live in shanties, shacks, ghetto3, slums, suburbs! A helluva lot! Check out during close of the day traffic direction. Thousands of cars, okada, keke heading out of the city center (with Quarters, estates, duplexes, apartment block, condos, pent houses etc) to those destination I mentioned. That's the Actual reallty. Majority of the guys and babes you see well dressed live in most of these low budget areas where rooms are gotten for as low as 3k per month undecided Public house, so to say, and many are struggling even to meet up with that meager amount! Some people (guys and babes) like 2 to 3 in a single room undecided..most Nigerians live miserably o
That is the reality of life in nigeria.
Re: How Much Of Your Salary Should Be Used To Pay Your Rent? by Jaysleeves(m): 12:42pm On Jan 28, 2022
TUTU147:
You are one of the luckiest nigerian.You don't know what God Almighty have done for us.some of us have served the government for 15years yet our salary is not up to 80k.We have wife and children and other relatives.This is one of the reasons some of us dey vex.
Are you a civil servant or a member of Nigeria police force , just curious ?
Re: How Much Of Your Salary Should Be Used To Pay Your Rent? by Lange: 12:44pm On Jan 28, 2022
If you are paying more than your monthly salary as your rent per year, you need a rethink. You are living above your means. My honest and sincere opinion.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Much Of Your Salary Should Be Used To Pay Your Rent? by PHIPEX(m): 12:44pm On Jan 28, 2022
My rent is currently 8% of my income. I don't think anyone should cross 20% otherwise, you might not be able to save anything in a year as a family person.
Re: How Much Of Your Salary Should Be Used To Pay Your Rent? by obamartins(m): 12:46pm On Jan 28, 2022
My rent is less than 20% of my monthly income and it is a three-bedroom flat. But e far from the main road well well grin. Some people will visit me and be like, "the house is far from the major road." I tell them in my mind not to visit me, I no invite una. I can't afford to be working for the Landlord every year.

I live in a city where the closer the building is to a tarred road or a major road, the higher the rent. As if naa the Landlords build the road. Mtheew.

6 Likes

Re: How Much Of Your Salary Should Be Used To Pay Your Rent? by teemy(m): 12:47pm On Jan 28, 2022
FuckDModz:
My annual rent is less than my monthly earning...

There are better things to do with money.

If you have to save to pay rent, you simply can't afford that house. Double your hustle!

obembet:
If your one month salary cannot pay your rent, then u need to change your house.

FuckDModz:

Nah, you need to increase your income.

One has to give way though.

Truly, the one-month salary is the way to go.
Re: How Much Of Your Salary Should Be Used To Pay Your Rent? by gabpaul: 12:47pm On Jan 28, 2022
Halo22:
I don't understand what people mean by 2 or 3 months salary cos what I spend on rent in Enugu is about 45% of my annual salary. If not for side hustle, person for don pack go villa. Imagine paying up to 500k for a 2---bedroom flat.
It's cheap na..come to Lagos grin
Re: How Much Of Your Salary Should Be Used To Pay Your Rent? by Newboss(m): 12:50pm On Jan 28, 2022
lokobyforch:

Feeding- 20,000(50%)

Who u dey impress!

You dey earn 40k and you dey feed with 20k and spend 8k on soap, cream, body spray, subscription and babe?

Makes zero sense. Cut that feeding down. Cut that 8k down too. Then pay your rent.

Life is all about compromise. Shelter is very important for your esteem and confidence. Avoid squatting if you're earning.

Even if na 5k a month room, take the room and maintain it. As a guy, you will get more toto if you have your own place. And you will also be more proud of yourself.

2 Likes

Re: How Much Of Your Salary Should Be Used To Pay Your Rent? by OgunkeelAllMod: 12:52pm On Jan 28, 2022
TUTU147:
he might be one those certificateless ,ill educated quota system thing you know, there are many of his kind in various ministries ,department and agencies,trust me. especially if na abok1 undecided..forget it, it got NOTHING to do with God, many things is wrong with the fraudulent setup called Nigeria. If you know, you know
Re: How Much Of Your Salary Should Be Used To Pay Your Rent? by htdot: 12:52pm On Jan 28, 2022
Mynd44:
Your rent should not Be more than 30% of your annual income. Anything else is a waste of time except you want to be hiding from your landlord

And you should always removed the 30% immediately you get paid. Save it is piggyvest, cowrywise or those banks that allows you do targeted savings
30% is too much... your rent shouldnt be more that 23% of your annual income.
Re: How Much Of Your Salary Should Be Used To Pay Your Rent? by sammirano: 12:53pm On Jan 28, 2022
2 months salary max

1 Like

Re: How Much Of Your Salary Should Be Used To Pay Your Rent? by gabpaul: 12:53pm On Jan 28, 2022
TUTU147:
Na people when dey receive salary above 200k fit use one month salary pay house rent for a year.Some of us have served the government for 15years,yet our salary never reach 80k.We have wife and children and other relatives.Some of us are posted to cities where things are very expensive,and yet the government don't want to do anything about it.Na God dey see us through if not I don't know how person fit survive.
80k with family ..the Lord is your strength undecided

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Damache Doors ! Lovely Security And Room Doors For Sale / 5 Dead, 26 Rescued In Ochanja, Onitsha Market Building Collapse (Photos) / Please Help Criticze This Building Plan.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.