Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,657 members, 7,816,685 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:14 PM

How Much Of Your Salary Should Be Used To Pay Your Rent? - Properties (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / How Much Of Your Salary Should Be Used To Pay Your Rent? (27342 Views)

Your Annual Rent Shouldn't Exceed Your Two Months Salary. If It Does / How To Pay Your Rent With Ease! Introducing Paymyrent.ng Savings / Edo Landlord Burns Down His House Over Tenants’ Refusal To Pay Rent (Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Much Of Your Salary Should Be Used To Pay Your Rent? by Jidefido(m): 12:56pm On Jan 28, 2022
I completely agree with you on this. Anything above 3 months is disaster

KillIgbohoN0W:
Not more than 3 months' salary.
Anything more and you're living beyond your means.
Re: How Much Of Your Salary Should Be Used To Pay Your Rent? by Newboss(m): 12:57pm On Jan 28, 2022
htdot:

30% is too much... your rent shouldnt be more that 23% of your annual income.

Have you considered how much the person earns?

What about the person's expenses?

What about the cost of renting in the state/country?

These are variables that could allow one to spend over 70% on rent and not feel shît. And no, they won't be living above their means. When it comes to means, context is everything.

Percentage is not an exact figure. Percentage depends on context

1 Like

Re: How Much Of Your Salary Should Be Used To Pay Your Rent? by damosky12(m): 12:59pm On Jan 28, 2022
obamartins:
My rent is less than 20% of my monthly income and it is a three-bedroom flat. But e far from the main road well well grin. Some people will visit me and be like, "the house is far from the major road." I tell them in my mind not to visit me, I no invite una. I can't afford to be working for the Landlord every year.

I live in a city where the closer the building is to a tarred road or a major road, the higher the rent. As if naa the Landlords build the road. Mtheew.

Less than 20 percent. Inside the bush. grin
Boss. This is low-key ijebu sturves.

1 Like

Re: How Much Of Your Salary Should Be Used To Pay Your Rent? by Paramount01(m): 1:00pm On Jan 28, 2022
PHIPEX:
My rent is currently 8% of my income. I don't think anyone should cross 20% otherwise, you might not be able to save anything in a year as a family person.

Did u have other side hustle or you just depend only on salary
Re: How Much Of Your Salary Should Be Used To Pay Your Rent? by siyeke2023(m): 1:00pm On Jan 28, 2022
My net monthly take home is about 265k, my rent is 350k. How am i doing?

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Much Of Your Salary Should Be Used To Pay Your Rent? by obamartins(m): 1:02pm On Jan 28, 2022
damosky12:

Less than 20 percent. Inside the bush. grin
Boss. This is low-key ijebu sturves.

Oga leave me make i stay my bush in peace o.

4 Likes

Re: How Much Of Your Salary Should Be Used To Pay Your Rent? by Richie77: 1:06pm On Jan 28, 2022
It is well with Nigeria...
Re: How Much Of Your Salary Should Be Used To Pay Your Rent? by authority2006(m): 1:06pm On Jan 28, 2022
jojofola:
Make una leave all this kind talk abeg

Let people live whichever life suits them, no be pikin dey rent house.

Enlightenment is very necessary, you don't know who's going to learn from this and make adjustment

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Much Of Your Salary Should Be Used To Pay Your Rent? by Pinkyposh(f): 1:09pm On Jan 28, 2022
Michelle70:
Use the 50:30:20 strategy
How explain better
Re: How Much Of Your Salary Should Be Used To Pay Your Rent? by htdot: 1:09pm On Jan 28, 2022
Newboss:

Have you considered how much the person earns?

What about the person's expenses?

What about the cost of renting in the state/country?

These are variables that could allow one to spend over 70% on rent and not feel shît. And no, they won't be living above their means. When it comes to means, context is everything.

Percentage is not an exact figure. Percentage depends on context
if you are earning 480k a year you shouldnt spend more than 120k for rent..
Re: How Much Of Your Salary Should Be Used To Pay Your Rent? by whodeyhere: 1:10pm On Jan 28, 2022
hofeshhomes:

God bless this OP alot, I needed this the most at this time

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Much Of Your Salary Should Be Used To Pay Your Rent? by TUTU147: 1:10pm On Jan 28, 2022
OgunkeelAllMod:
he might be one those certificateless ,ill educated quota system thing you know, there are many of his kind in various ministries ,department and agencies,trust me. especially if na abok1 undecided..forget it, it got NOTHING to do with God, many things is wrong with the fraudulent setup called Nigeria. If you know, you know
I wish I can have such a link, good pay gives you Joy.
Re: How Much Of Your Salary Should Be Used To Pay Your Rent? by dre11(m): 1:11pm On Jan 28, 2022
It all depends on where you stay....

If you live in lag, abuja i would advise you to budget not more than 30% of your salary

But if you stay where rent is not expensive, you can budget 15% of your salary for rent
Re: How Much Of Your Salary Should Be Used To Pay Your Rent? by 123papas(m): 1:12pm On Jan 28, 2022
less than one month salary
Re: How Much Of Your Salary Should Be Used To Pay Your Rent? by Chatflick(m): 1:21pm On Jan 28, 2022
Wahala for salary earners o. It is well. I can't tell because I can get my house rent in one day smiley. God bless the internet and technology

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Much Of Your Salary Should Be Used To Pay Your Rent? by phorget(m): 1:24pm On Jan 28, 2022
My annual salary is for my rent, I live on other stream of incomes.
Re: How Much Of Your Salary Should Be Used To Pay Your Rent? by Omini247: 1:31pm On Jan 28, 2022
Michelle70:
explain
Re: How Much Of Your Salary Should Be Used To Pay Your Rent? by Wealthoptulent(m): 1:40pm On Jan 28, 2022
hofeshhomes:

3 months..
Re: How Much Of Your Salary Should Be Used To Pay Your Rent? by BuyAndSellStuff: 1:41pm On Jan 28, 2022
obembet:
If your one month salary cannot pay your rent, then u need to change your house.

Hmmm
Do you know that quality of life can affect income too?

Sometimes, its better to just pay slightly more for a place that's close to your workplace or where there's steady electricity because you will still spend it and even more when you add tfare and fuel expenses.

You didn't add those while typing this o

4 Likes

Re: How Much Of Your Salary Should Be Used To Pay Your Rent? by Jaysleeves(m): 1:44pm On Jan 28, 2022
There are so many factors to consider in this ...
1. Proximity to place of work i.e I earn 100k and I decide to rent a cheap apartment let's say ikorodu, epe or other suburbs for 60-100k rent meanwhile I work on the island.. do you know how much I will spend on transport daily?

2. Health and comfort : most people in Lagos can't boast of 4 hours sleep due to the usual waking up early and getting home late ..

I have a friend who earns 150k and decide to rent a house of about 900k, on the island which is just Max 15 mins from his work place with Max transport of 400 naira daily .... My guy is very much comfortable with this cause he gat time to rest and take care of other businesses.

Note : consider amount be paid for transport together with rent in your percentage too...

1 Like

Re: How Much Of Your Salary Should Be Used To Pay Your Rent? by iamdapsyj(m): 1:48pm On Jan 28, 2022
CodedWealth:
Well following the normal money rule,

It is stated at 30%..

But in reality, divide your rent into 12 and save 1/12 monthly...

And this should be your tradition monthly...

Let's see my rent is 100k

And I am doing a job of 100k per month...

I'm supposed to save at least 8K monthly

For rent...

If your rent is above 30% of your salary monthly, then indirectly you are working for the house owner whether you aware of it or not

The UN specification is actually 25% of your monthly salary........30% is even too high in my opinion.

1 Like

Re: How Much Of Your Salary Should Be Used To Pay Your Rent? by rita25(f): 2:06pm On Jan 28, 2022
oga buy house do mortgage and get your own place and if u want to relocate you sell and have money stop enriching landlord..ask me if interested
Itsrm:
My rent is 5.3 percent of my annual salary and 3.1% of annual income.

This has made me the darling of my landlord because I find it easy to pay and pay him promptly
Re: How Much Of Your Salary Should Be Used To Pay Your Rent? by mattmogan88: 2:11pm On Jan 28, 2022
Abeg how can one manage 30k salary,? the thing still Dy confuse me

2 Likes

Re: How Much Of Your Salary Should Be Used To Pay Your Rent? by whirlwind7(m): 2:24pm On Jan 28, 2022
Mynd44:
Your rent should not Be more than 30% of your annual income. Anything else is a waste of time except you want to be hiding from your landlord

And you should always removed the 30% immediately you get paid. Save it is piggyvest, cowrywise or those banks that allows you do targeted savings

The recommended MAX amount is 25% of your income.
Anything more than this is pushing it. I have practiced this all my life since I rented my first apartment eons ago.
Re: How Much Of Your Salary Should Be Used To Pay Your Rent? by NamelessOGBENI(m): 2:25pm On Jan 28, 2022
Mynd44:
Your rent should not Be more than 30% of your annual income. Anything else is a waste of time except you want to be hiding from your landlord

And you should always removed the 30% immediately you get paid. Save it is piggyvest, cowrywise or those banks that allows you do targeted savings
Re: How Much Of Your Salary Should Be Used To Pay Your Rent? by Charly500(m): 2:40pm On Jan 28, 2022
AgentGoat:

This sentence ' your rent should not be more than your 3 months salary'. Is it that you won't feed and do other necessary living expenses for 3 months and just transfer the money to the landlord?

Most people on salary Jobs are just working for their landlords year in year out.

No now, how will you feed for those months, u have to just save up before the due date.

I earn 100,000 per month and my rent is 170,000.

i just have to save up by being prudent with my spending to ensure its ready before the due date.

it should not be more than two months at least, as things are really expensive these days in nigeria, especially when you are a family man with children.

1 Like

Re: How Much Of Your Salary Should Be Used To Pay Your Rent? by louqas: 2:42pm On Jan 28, 2022
hofeshhomes:

Your annual rent shouldnt be more than your one month salary...
Re: How Much Of Your Salary Should Be Used To Pay Your Rent? by Deicide: 2:53pm On Jan 28, 2022
If you day earn 50k. 150k go get you self contain for some area. The remaining 450k see how you go take manage am.
Re: How Much Of Your Salary Should Be Used To Pay Your Rent? by Anonymoususher: 3:01pm On Jan 28, 2022
When I was a salary earner taking 60k a month, I rented a face me I face you apartment that was 4k monthly here in Lagos and transport to work was trekkable.

It was horrible but I was saving and planning my escape from the company, one of my colleague was living in a 250k a year apartment and was always complaining of money.

By the time I saved enough, I resigned my job and went into business with the money saved and now I live in a 2bedroom paying 650k per annum.

I have a plan with Piggyvest that enables them to deduct 2k everyday from my account

Bottom like is never use beyond max 2months salary for rent else u will put yourself in mortgage stress.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Much Of Your Salary Should Be Used To Pay Your Rent? by Rubbiish(m): 3:02pm On Jan 28, 2022
OgunkeelAllMod:
Bruv, I don't understand what you mean by MAJORITY of Nigerians earning up to 200-300k per what? Have you forgotten minimum wage? Hmm, many Nigerians in big cities like Abuja,, Lagos, etc live in shanties, shacks, ghetto3, slums, suburbs! A helluva lot! Check out during close of the day traffic direction. Thousands of cars, okada, keke heading out of the city center (with Quarters, estates, duplexes, apartment block, condos, pent houses etc) to those destination I mentioned. That's the Actual reallty. Majority of the guys and babes you see well dressed live in most of these low budget areas where rooms are gotten for as low as 3k per month undecided Public house, so to say, and many are struggling even to meet up with that meager amount! Some people (guys and babes) like 2 to 3 in a single room undecided..most Nigerians live miserably o
I agree with u
I just had to say majority as I no understand the guy post. Thinking everyone na big man.
Re: How Much Of Your Salary Should Be Used To Pay Your Rent? by nelszx: 3:02pm On Jan 28, 2022
Michelle70:
Please can you kindly explain?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Damache Doors ! Lovely Security And Room Doors For Sale / 5 Dead, 26 Rescued In Ochanja, Onitsha Market Building Collapse (Photos) / Please Help Criticze This Building Plan.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.