Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,086 members, 7,818,256 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:17 AM

Career Dilemma: Getting A Skill Vs LLB? - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Career Dilemma: Getting A Skill Vs LLB? (7596 Views)

My Dilemma As Contract Staff In A Bank / Skill Vs Certificate / SKILL VS CERTIFICATE; Which One Will Give You An Edge? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Career Dilemma: Getting A Skill Vs LLB? by Wealthoptulent(m): 1:33pm On Jan 21, 2022
MoneyMusthear:
Good afternoon our Nairaland sages.

I will make this as brief as possible, but will try as much as I can to express myself in all seriousness.

I am a young guy (20 years of age) who passed out from secondary school not quite long ago. I have been very, very passionate about having a great career that would translate to a stable future. I have a lifelong dream of becoming a lawyer cum getting an LLB. I think I will do greatly in the field, because it has been confirmed to me that I have great logical and speaking skills. Academically, I know I am doing greatly.

Now this is where the problem lies:

Given that a lot of graduates, lawyers included, are roaming the streets of Nigeria seeking for job, and never having to get one, or would resort to working for a meagre pay, I do not know how well I would thrive as a lawyer. I dread ending up a failure in life, and I am very doubtful if I would have anything that these smart and bubbling graduates do not have to put me above them. I am ready to walk on thorns to leave Law school with a first class, if it would give me an edge, but then again, what about my predecessors? How well are they doing financially despite their first class?

On the other, I have a natural gift of being able to do just about anything that can be done with hands: Fixing things (generators, electronic appliances even without a formal training), drawing like a pro, cooking grin, playing musical instruments, singing, mason, woodwork and shoe repairing. Just mention it. I haven't been trained to do these, but I do them anyway. Fictional writing too (poems and stories).

This is where I direly need your advice and suggestions:
1. Do you suggest I go on to study Law?
2. Do you suggest I learn a skill instead?
3. Should this skill be handwork or soft skill?
4. What profitable skill do you advise that I learn?
There are father-like and mother-like personalities on here, so I believe I will get the best advice. God bless you even as you drop your candid advice.

Oga study 1st, den skill acquisition along.... e plenty u fit merge.
Re: Career Dilemma: Getting A Skill Vs LLB? by Evidenx(m): 1:34pm On Jan 21, 2022
What is education??
TRUE EDUCATION IS THE DEVELOPMENT OF ONE'S GIFT'S AND TALENT.

I WILL SAY DEVELOPE YOUR SKILL.BECOME A MASTER,MAKE MONEY,MAKE A NAME AND THEN GO BACK TO SCHOOL IF YOU STILL WANT,I DOUBT YOU WILL DO THAT AFTER U HAVE MADE MONEY. wink. grin
Re: Career Dilemma: Getting A Skill Vs LLB? by astute28: 1:35pm On Jan 21, 2022
My candid advise for you ,you can learn ict skill with your knowledge ,like graphics design ,web development , digital marketing, coding and programming , he doesn't stop your law career , you are still in your early twenties the sky is your limit , wishing you all the best
Re: Career Dilemma: Getting A Skill Vs LLB? by Afonasa(m): 1:36pm On Jan 21, 2022
First off I'll tell u that some of the great lawyers are third class,go check it out,and two don't despise the idea of gaining degree not because of the cert but it will expose you more to life and lastly in whatever u do,remember to focus a part of ur energy in learning a digital skill....its the new trend now.

My freelancing video will help u get more review and more gigs and will also show you some mistakes other freelancer make,even as a newbie,u are covered
Re: Career Dilemma: Getting A Skill Vs LLB? by Rashman578(m): 1:36pm On Jan 21, 2022
Combine both OP. May Allah be with you
Re: Career Dilemma: Getting A Skill Vs LLB? by ogecrown(f): 1:43pm On Jan 21, 2022
This is 2022. What are you doing to improve yourself?
Let Luxfiat International Limited give your career value
Dm for more information.

Re: Career Dilemma: Getting A Skill Vs LLB? by cherryCola: 1:52pm On Jan 21, 2022
You sound broke @OP,
sorry if I sounded harsh.

I can see that all your write up was about financial
security, but why not go for financial freedom (an average man won't understand this).

I sacrifice my military career for money, I wanted to
be stinky rich and at the same time I wanted to be a military personnel (Navy to be precise) so I figured out
that both won't work so I have to give up on one, my military career.

FYI: your chance of making it as a lawyer is very slim
unless you're willing to think outside the box.

So OP if you need hundred's of millions don't go
for law, but if you are Ok with ten to 50 million a year,
you can go for law but know that only 4% of lawyer's in Nigeria make this.

MY COURTESY cool.
Re: Career Dilemma: Getting A Skill Vs LLB? by biggie73(m): 1:58pm On Jan 21, 2022
Why are you this pessimistic in nature? Do you know there are many successful lawyers than unsuccessful ones? It's all about God's blessing, timing and just one good case. If not sure, study Law then learn trading on part time basis. I wish you well.
Re: Career Dilemma: Getting A Skill Vs LLB? by yungz: 1:59pm On Jan 21, 2022

1 Like

Re: Career Dilemma: Getting A Skill Vs LLB? by GCFR95(m): 2:14pm On Jan 21, 2022
I have painstakingly and diligently read your post and I have decided to take out my time to advise you. Let me start this way, most of the folks giving you advice on this platform are not lawyers so be wary of their advice. I am a practicing young lawyer in my twenties, so I'll be in a better position to advise you here. I graduated with a second class upper from the University and also finished with a second class upper from the Nigerian Law School, Lagos Campus. I am currently working as an associate in a law firm managed by a Senior Advocate in Victoria Island, Lagos. I had to state the above so that you will know that I am not a push-over lawyer or a mediocre.

You have raised four pertinent issues in your post which I will go ahead to deal with seriatim.

Issue 1: Do you suggest I go on to study Law?
In my honest opinion, I do not advise that you study law. Even though I studied law, I ensured that none of my siblings did. Let me be practical with you. The legal climate in Nigeria is a very unpredictable one which makes it very difficult for young lawyers to succeed. I cannot count how many friends of mine have moved on to other professions or career paths. One of my mentors branched out to accounting and did his ICAN and ACCA together and now works at KPMG. He is not doing anything related to law in his new employment but is purely doing roles relating to tax and audit. There are other folks I know who have transitioned to other fields out of frustration. I am currently pursuing an MBA because I intend to transition from law to business. Last week, I was at the Nigerian Law School, Lagos to do something and I saw the number of students who recently enrolled, they were so many. I simply shook my head in pity of the system. Don't be deceived by those who say, your fate is different. It is not! In fact, you stand the chance of ending up in a low-class law firm with a meager salary even if you graduate with a second-class upper. I have friends who graduated with a second-class upper earn second to nothing in some law firms around CMS/TBS. I, therefore, resolve this issue by advising you to pick a far easier 4-year course and leave this 6-year course that may not even support your big dreams later in life. The number of lawyers churned out by the Nigerian Law School is alarming, and most of them are all heading to Lagos. Can you imagine that? Where else does law work if not Lagos. Imagine practicing in Cross River or Taraba, in fact with the exception of Abuja, Port Harcourt, and Lagos, law practice is not very lucrative in any other city in Nigeria. All the big law firms are situated in Lagos. So, what are your chances that you will succeed outside Lagos, Abuja or Port Harcourt as a lawyer? So, rethink your law dream.

Issue Two: Do you suggest I learn a skill instead?
Now to the next issue of skill, I would be very brief on this issue. Learning a skill is very important in today's value-driven world. With skill, you can exchange value for money. I have a friend who is currently a tech co-founder. I remember vividly the day we arrived in Lagos from Port Harcourt in search of better opportunities. Even though I got a job in a law firm and thought I was doing better than him within the first year of our arrival, he is currently earning 20x what I'm earning because he is so skillful in software development and has gone ahead to build his tech startup. Even my brother who recently gained admission to UNN to study civil engineering is currently taking photography lessons and will soon transition to learning technology skills. So, my dear brother, learn a skill and a good one at that. I suggest you learn a skill in technology, blockchain, crypto, and online commerce.

Issue 3: Should this skill be handwork or soft skill?
I have extensively dealt with this in issue 2 above. Soft skills pay more and are less stressful. However, if you have a flair for handiwork, let your passion take the lead. But think technology in all you do.

Issue 4: What profitable skill do you advise that I learn?
I have extensively dealt with this in Issue 2 and 3 above. Technology-driven skills are more profitable.

In all my brother, I don't know why I'm going all out to advise you, but please take my advice as my younger brother. You can send me a message and I'll surely respond. Remember, gone are the days when titles matter, today's world is driven by ideas and skills and not mere certificates. Nigeria has seen enough lawyers. May God guide you in all you do. Amen.

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Career Dilemma: Getting A Skill Vs LLB? by Waterlrd: 2:15pm On Jan 21, 2022
MoneyMusthear:
Good afternoon our Nairaland sages.

I will make this as brief as possible, but will try as much as I can to express myself in all seriousness.

I am a young guy (20 years of age) who passed out from secondary school not quite long ago. I have been very, very passionate about having a great career that would translate to a stable future. I have a lifelong dream of becoming a lawyer cum getting an LLB. I think I will do greatly in the field, because it has been confirmed to me that I have great logical and speaking skills. Academically, I know I am doing greatly.

Now this is where the problem lies:

Given that a lot of graduates, lawyers included, are roaming the streets of Nigeria seeking for job, and never having to get one, or would resort to working for a meagre pay, I do not know how well I would thrive as a lawyer. I dread ending up a failure in life, and I am very doubtful if I would have anything that these smart and bubbling graduates do not have to put me above them. I am ready to walk on thorns to leave Law school with a first class, if it would give me an edge, but then again, what about my predecessors? How well are they doing financially despite their first class?

On the other, I have a natural gift of being able to do just about anything that can be done with hands: Fixing things (generators, electronic appliances even without a formal training), drawing like a pro, cooking grin, playing musical instruments, singing, mason, woodwork and shoe repairing. Just mention it. I haven't been trained to do these, but I do them anyway. Fictional writing too (poems and stories).

There are father-like and mother-like personalities on here, so I believe I will get the best advice. God bless you even as you drop your candid advice.

I would have shared an idea with you but you lied about your age & educational qualification . I'm 100% sure that you has been lying for the past 27 years. No wonder you want to become a lawyer in place of a certified lier.
Kindly tell me other things and l will have a good time to advice you.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Career Dilemma: Getting A Skill Vs LLB? by expressglory: 2:19pm On Jan 21, 2022
My friend...don't be afraid...you will succeed.Go for law...graduate with a good grade...proceed for your Masters...LLM.
Then enter into academics... pursue your doctorate..As a lecturer in Law you can work in more than one University!
...You are good to go...lest I forget...make sure you marry the right woman!
I wish u all the best!
Re: Career Dilemma: Getting A Skill Vs LLB? by ofuonyebi: 2:21pm On Jan 21, 2022
My friend, i will give you sincere advise from my wealth of experience as a Lawyer and Author..Many Lawyers are in the chambers, hungry and looking for what to eat today while some are in the unemployment market
Wole Soyinka became a great man and celebrity in Nigeria today by the skill of writing books
despite making third class from the university...

Some of his colleagues that made first class including Law, are no where to be found today..
Go and study Law to give you education...if you have the means BUT you need an entrepreneurship career to keep out of hunger tomorrow
my son has B.Sc bt leant electrical and solar energy production and repairs after youth service and is doing well with it BUT not with certificate.

Go and get a copy of my Book> "Career Development And the Problems of Unemployment in Nigeria-Time for a Paradigm Shift"...it is still the best seller today in Nigeria.....just #1k only....nanofuonyebi@yahoo.com

2 Likes

Re: Career Dilemma: Getting A Skill Vs LLB? by Scandium: 2:27pm On Jan 21, 2022
The one that you have the greatest interest in is the best for you. You will excel more if you are passionate about what you do

PS. Please who have a job for me in Ibadan?
Please help!. Contact in my signature
Re: Career Dilemma: Getting A Skill Vs LLB? by Idiko1: 2:29pm On Jan 21, 2022
LLB is equally a skill and a special one for the matter. It appears you have interest in law, and I say go for it. Not every lawyer is jobless.
Re: Career Dilemma: Getting A Skill Vs LLB? by GCFR95(m): 2:32pm On Jan 21, 2022
Thank you senior colleague, I pray he listens to sound advice.

ofuonyebi:
My friend, i will give you sincere advise from my wealth of experience as a Lawyer and Author..Many Lawyers are in the chambers, hungry and looking for what to eat today while some are in the unemployment market
Wole Soyinka became a great man and celebrity in Nigeria today by the skill of writing books
despite making third class from the university...

Some of his colleagues that made first class including Law, are no where to be found today..
Go and study Law to give you education...if you have the means BUT you need an entrepreneurship career to keep out of hunger tomorrow
my son has B.Sc bt leant electrical and solar energy production and repairs after youth service and is doing well with it BUT not with certificate.

Go and get a copy of my Book> "Career Development And the Problems of Unemployment in Nigeria-Time for a Paradigm Shift"...it is still the best seller today in Nigeria.....just #1k only....nanofuonyebi@yahoo.com
Re: Career Dilemma: Getting A Skill Vs LLB? by GCFR95(m): 2:34pm On Jan 21, 2022
LL.B is not a skill, it is a certificate like every other. Obtaining it does not guarantee success by any means. Get your facts right.

Idiko1:
LLB is equally a skill and a special one for the matter. It appears you have interest in law, and I say go for it. Not every lawyer is jobless.

1 Like

Re: Career Dilemma: Getting A Skill Vs LLB? by SocialJustice: 2:34pm On Jan 21, 2022
MoneyMusthear:

1. Go to law school, study to the best of your ability and come out with a good result. Also, learn the skill you want to learn on the side to survive Nigeria. Open your eyes in the law field too, look for the lucrative parts you can start earning from even before graduating. Do not sacrifice one for the other, do the 2. You're young and this is the sort of thing you should dedicate your life to.

2. Like I said, do the 2. Get a skill and also study law. You could get into real estate agency as a side hustle too. See the ropes, see where your law degree will come in very handy.

3. I prefer a soft skill, sharpen your marketing skill too. Just learn something that you can leverage with the Internet.

4. You need to do this research on your own, the opportunities are endless.

I really suggest you get into real estate, the money there is the best. You can partner with real estate companies to showcase their properties too. If any sale comes through you, you take a commission. Make sure everything is documented. The industry is filled with crooks but the earlier you enter, the better.

You can go to YouTube and search for Eden Oasis, it will give you a clearer idea.

Re: Career Dilemma: Getting A Skill Vs LLB? by ccollins(m): 2:57pm On Jan 21, 2022
safarigirl:
Get a skill

I have an LLB and a BL

My skill is what is feeding me.

Get a skill

LLB is almost useless in Nigeria, especially if you don't have a John the Baptist that prepared the way for you
nonsense post, are u normal at all. U are not fit and proper to be a lawyer by your foolish tantrums. You better return your llb to your school and BL to the council of legal education. Rubbish uncouth post

1 Like

Re: Career Dilemma: Getting A Skill Vs LLB? by ccollins(m): 2:59pm On Jan 21, 2022
GCFR95:
LL.B is not a skill, it is a certificate like every other. Obtaining it does not guarantee success by any means. Get your facts right.

llb is a special certificate that has empowered a lot of people to wealth.you people should keep talking nonsense on internet
Re: Career Dilemma: Getting A Skill Vs LLB? by gforce5: 3:28pm On Jan 21, 2022
OP, as a practising lawyer, i will advice you to choose skills over legal qualification. Thousands of law graduates are turned out annually from universities and the Law School. A lot of those graduates are unemployed due to over-saturation of the job market. As some people in this thread have pointed out, you need to be very smart in order to succeed in the legal profession. Your social skills must be top notch because you have to do a lot of networking in order to get clients. Not only that, you need to socialize with those rich kids in school in order to get a job. The Legal Profession in this country is not what you know but who you know.

Do you come from a legal background? Most of these "senior lawyers" as you see so come from privileged backgrounds. Their parents were either Judges, SANS or ran their own law firms. This is an open secret that no one wants to talk about. Most of these "firms" pay lawyers peanuts. They will tell you that they are giving you "experience". The big firms that pay decent wages (Templars, G. Elias & Co), you have to work like a slave in order to earn that salary.

Your best bet is combining both. Use your skills to make money while developing yourself through legal education.

1 Like

Re: Career Dilemma: Getting A Skill Vs LLB? by remi1444: 3:40pm On Jan 21, 2022
safarigirl:
Get a skill

I have an LLB and a BL

My skill is what is feeding me.

Get a skill

LLB is almost useless in Nigeria, especially if you don't have a John the Baptist that prepared the way for you
ughh... not after this stress!!
Re: Career Dilemma: Getting A Skill Vs LLB? by DuBLINGreenb(m): 3:41pm On Jan 21, 2022
mirror:
Learning a skill is tougher than reading law books. You better go and read your law jeje.

Lol you really think so?

Ask yourself do Nigerians go to court? Or they "leave am for God"

Then consider how many Nigerians Use chairs and tables in their houses compare and contrast those numbers. How many Nigerians need carpenters for their roofing or scaffolding?

That is ONE.

part TWO.

Carpentry may take you 1 or 2 years to learn depending on how smart and gifted you are, same with generator repairs, I learnt it while holding touch for them and watching my dad and the generator repairer whenever they did whatever they did to repair the gen so I knew if I hear this sound this is what is wrong and this is what you do or change.

on the other hand, I am a lawyer, go and check the failure rate from law school and even universities
Almost every year you hear over 20% or 23% failed

Go and read past questions from Nigerian law school and see why

Also look at the pay lawyers make monthly I'm not talking of the highest 1% of earners the popular ones you hear on radio daily

So I wil tell you as one who knows what it's like on both sides

Learning a skill is WAY easier than 2 semesters of about 6 to 7 course per semester for 5years of university (if no strikes) (if no spill over) consider all the cases (case laws) you need to know and the citations (statutory provisions) you need to have at heart. And those things won't even give you full 1 mark each it's like 0.25marks or at best 0.5marks per case cited lol

1 year law school (if no resit) with an exam that is written back to back, fail one course (E or F in one course) you have to re sit all other courses including the ones you passed, get a D in any course you have to re write that particular course.

And after all that finding a firm to work for or starting out on your own is another tough stuff except you have people you know the normal Nigerian doings.

I know you may be hoping on your family and friends to bring cases to you;

I will give you one tip tho, family, friends and acquaintances will refuse to pay you because they know you, you are their brother etc

I prepared documents for an ex class mate since a year ago and till today he didn't come back for them, these documents will cost him a mere 5,000naira because of simple 5,000naira my guy is avoiding me, dodging me, did he think because I am a lawyer I will not pay court processes and all that even if I don't collect my own professional fee won't he pay for the cost of processing the documents? The affidavit? The stamp duty and all that, nobody else will prepare such documents for 5k but as a friend I did it for him with my money and he went into hiding for ordinary 5k.

A colleague of mine whenever he wants to discuss his renumeration or get paid, I usually go with him or for him so that they( his community people, friends, church members etc) won't beg him, they'll talk with me or hand the money to me or to an account that doesn't bear his name, so it's not their brother they are interfacing with or paying it's the firm or me. Because Nigerians like to take people they know for granted, they also love to price, they price lawyers as if they are buying fish or egusi in market.

You will face things like these also people don't believe your work is difficult because almost 80 to 90% of what you do they don't see, they only see maybe a few paper works and maybe the results but they don't understand the long tiring processes and the hours of preparations, even if they see they won't understand so to them it's not worth the money.

Guy law is NOT for the faint hearted

IT IS definitely NOT for those who want to get rich quick

This thing I am telling you guys nobody else will tell you so whether you like take it or leave it when you enter and start sweating in a black suit under our hot Nigerian 36 degree Celsius heat for meagre pay is when you will know how far

Finally consider the cost: when last I check lawschool fees ALONE cost 280k or more, without cost of books some of my books cost 12k some cost 50k then there is law reports you subscribe to which costs even more, then transportation to Abuja or wherever your lawschool is situated. The insecurity on the roads. There's a lot to consider my friend, because you haven't been their you won't know, some died going back home after the law program, some died on their way back during externship, some died going to the law school you can Google these things like the one I heard of last a Cameroonian law student drowned in a ship that sank on its way to Cameroon from Nigeria after his law school program. Feel free to Google anything or ask anyone who is knowledgeable.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Career Dilemma: Getting A Skill Vs LLB? by safarigirl(f): 3:55pm On Jan 21, 2022
remi1444:
ughh... not after this stress!!

Just get a skill in case

You can finish the stress, but get a skill

This whole thing is also dependent on personality, the more outgoing you are, the higher your chances of making it in something like Law.

Still, there is nothing wrong in adding to your skillset. Never be dependent on just one thing
Re: Career Dilemma: Getting A Skill Vs LLB? by remi1444: 4:07pm On Jan 21, 2022
safarigirl:

Just get a skill in case
You can finish the stress, but get a skill

This whole thing is also dependent on personality, the more outgoing you are, the higher your chances of making it in something like Law.

Still, there is nothing wrong in adding to your skillset. Never be dependent on just one thing
I'm not outgoing... I'd rather say I'm not an outgoing person, I prefer personal space rather mixing up with crowd. For sake of clarity, during semester breaks I'm always indoors for the 30 days or less. I literally don't leave my gate. I'm trying my hands on tech now, that one(tech) comes with its complexity and frustration. grin

I wish I did earlier than now.
Re: Career Dilemma: Getting A Skill Vs LLB? by safarigirl(f): 4:18pm On Jan 21, 2022
remi1444:
I'm not outgoing... I'd rather say I'm not an outgoing person, I prefer personal space rather mixing up with crowd. For sake of clarity, during semester breaks I'm always indoors for the 30 days or less. I literally don't leave my gate. I'm trying my hands on tech now, that one(tech) comes with its complexity and frustration. grin

I wish I did earlier than now.

If you're not outgoing, then networking may not be a strong point of yours, and if is one of the key factors in Law, in my opinion.

Yes, you should definitely dabble deeper into tech, if you do go into law, tech law is quite the industry, and you can try your hands at it. If not, tech can give you a level of anonymity and interactions may be mostly limited to the online space.

If I were any good at Tech, I too, would have tried my hand at it, but it's not quite my strong point
Re: Career Dilemma: Getting A Skill Vs LLB? by remi1444: 5:26pm On Jan 21, 2022
safarigirl:

If you're not outgoing, then networking may not be a strong point of yours, and if is one of the key factors in Law, in my opinion.

Yes, you should definitely dabble deeper into tech, if you do go into law, tech law is quite the industry, and you can try your hands at it. If not, tech can give you a level of anonymity and interactions may be mostly limited to the online space.

If I were any good at Tech, I too, would have tried my hand at it, but it's not quite my strong point
From reviews by already established tech bro, I'm winging it compared to how I was months ago. It's just that it's not a get rich quick path. So I'm yet to start benefiting from it.
Re: Career Dilemma: Getting A Skill Vs LLB? by perdollar(m): 5:32pm On Jan 21, 2022
Pocket royas now commoner than oloshos
Re: Career Dilemma: Getting A Skill Vs LLB? by Montaque(m): 6:32pm On Jan 21, 2022
I have an LLB and I would advise you get a skill FIRST. There are many jobs you can't be learning as a lawyer.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Lagos Tax (any Tax Officer Inhouse Or Firs Staff) / How To Write A Cover Letter / Federal Government SURE-P Graduate Internship Scheme 2012

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 105
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.