Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,362 members, 7,812,027 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 06:38 AM

Help! My Kid Brother Is Going Mad. - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Help! My Kid Brother Is Going Mad. (1217 Views)

Please Help, My Kid Sister Is In Pains (pics) / Help! How Can I Save My Kid Brother In-law From Taking meth? / Help! My Younger Brother Is Going Mad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help! My Kid Brother Is Going Mad. by Albara(m): 1:00am On Jan 22, 2022
Hello NL family, I am a frequent visitor of this platform, however, this is my first post as a member here. Apologies in advance for any grammatical construction or typographic errors, I am one out of the many imperfect human alive. Without wasting much of your time, I'll dive straight in to the intended purpose for this post. My younger brother who should be 23 years of age in may this year is mentally ill. The problems started around June last year when he started quarrelling and attempting to fight with my sisters who happen to be his senior siblings. I wasn't at home as at then but according to my mum and sisters narration, he did insulted and even attempted to fight them to the extent they called some of their friends in the police force to come and arrest and discipline him.
He eventually came and begged for their forgiveness later on. This is a young lad who is very humble and respectful. Let me not forget to mention that he did followed some bad company and started smoking weed and cigarettes, I spoke to him and did warn him about the effects of drugs severally, I did the big brother-small brother talks with him, he didn't stop, I scolded him, still didn't stop, until the last altercation he got with my sisters and mum that I got so pissed that I told him we'll all cut him off if he doesn't stop the bad habits.
Fast forward to October last year, he withdrew from drugs (Indian hemp and cigarettes which was the only substance he did according to him when I spoke to him about drugs n all) and started learning fashion design as a vocational skill. Later on, he started exhibiting some abnormal symptoms and started behaving very slow both physically and mentally, too sluggish for a vibrant sporty young man, then he started skipping and forgetting things. It got so worst that when you you give him 50 naira to go get sugar and Lipton for you, he'll forget one and buy the other for you. We all thought the behaviors were more of a withdrawal symptom from smoking, but the symptom persisted. That's when we all started to get worried and began finding solutions to the problems. Meanwhile, for the majority of the time, I was in school, writing my final year project up until October.
We started seeking for both spiritual and medical help, although, he wasn't crazy crazy in particular but we feared for the worst and started to act on time. Things went on slowly particularly because of the economy and I particularly wasn't doing too well financially, I just got fresh out of school and hasn't gotten my foot down. Fast forward to last week, he had a slight altercation with our nephew and boom, the worst came! He started hitting the wall and tree in the compound that he must beat the boy, then I was getting ready to go for my regular evening exercise (football) thus I saw it all but never thought he has actually gone mad at that point. I quickly warned our nephew n told him to step out of the house to cool things down, then spoke with my kid bro and calmed him till I was sure the situation is calm then I went to the field. After the game, I came home and that's when my mum told me that he went completely ballistic and even beat the shii out of her, the neighbors had to come and rescue her, and that he did realized he did wrong and came on knees and apologized.
She told me all this while he was there listening to us. I was dumbfounded and confused, all my thoughts was how did it got to that point. I stood up to get water from the drum to bath, that's when my kid bro who is actually tall and huge slapped me from behind un-provokingly. We started to wrestle and struggle while he kept murmuring and saying things I don't understand. We had to use rope and tie him down that evening till the following day. He kept shouting and saying things, started seeing things. I was very confused, moody, didn't know what to do or what to say, I just knew my kid bro is mentally ill and was struggling to accept the glaring reality. Let me stop here, I'll update ya'll with the rest of the story tomorrow.
Please mods, push this to the front page, i would very much love to hear some opinions and advice when I update the rest of the story tomorrow. Thank you and have a wonderful night sleep.

2 Likes

Re: Help! My Kid Brother Is Going Mad. by doggedfighter(f): 1:07am On Jan 22, 2022
Please don't take him to any church or mosque.

He needs to see a psychiatrist not a pastor or Alfa.

He needs medical and psychiatric evaluation and corresponding treatment not prayers or magic.

I believe it won't be long he will come back to his normal self.

Some of these things are not as difficult to treat as we think.

Just seek required help from trained medics.

That was how I saw a handsome young man chained in front of a church with terrible cane marks on his body last year.

It gave me goosebumps and made me cry, the picture is still vivid in my memory.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Help! My Kid Brother Is Going Mad. by Amotolongbo(f): 1:23am On Jan 22, 2022
Please take him to a psychiatric hospital before it gets out of hand

1 Like

Re: Help! My Kid Brother Is Going Mad. by FairlyUSEDpussy: 2:28am On Jan 22, 2022
Well.......those two up there have spoken well enough......
Psychiatric hospital is what he needs!!!!
God be with you........
Re: Help! My Kid Brother Is Going Mad. by daddytime(m): 2:37am On Jan 22, 2022
Get him back on that marijuana, please in a controlled manner if possible. That could just be the "natural oxygen" his brain is being denied of and just might be what'd jolt him back to his old bubbly self a.k.a factory resetting things.

Most people won't understand this submission, I am sure.

You could as well try the psychia...route as posited above too.

I wish you guys well.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Help! My Kid Brother Is Going Mad. by Uyi168: 2:39am On Jan 22, 2022
theres a link between cannabis use and psychosis.
it also possible that your brother abused other substances too.
in all, he needs to be taken to a psychiatric hospital.

hopefully, the damage is not permanent or irreversible yet..
Re: Help! My Kid Brother Is Going Mad. by ValCon888: 3:04am On Jan 22, 2022
Excellent narration OP.

I think I can determine the substances your brother abused based on the timeline.

Let's be clear; at no point in time was your brother smoking ordinary weed.

At the first stage, your brother was taking Arizona and Colorado when he was fighting his sisters. That is weed mixed with crack cocaine.

Arizona and Colorado makes you extremely excitable and prone to challenging authority.

At the second stage when "he withdrew from drugs", your brother was taking codein.

He didn't stop taking drugs. He only went the opposite end of the spectrum.

Codein makes you numb, sluggish and forgetful. You begin to see the world like it's on slow motion.

At the third stage, when your brother beat your mum and was seeing things, he was taking crystal meth a.k.a mkpuru mmirri.

That substance not only makes you violent, it causes you to hallucinate.

All the psychiatrists in the world cannot help him if you do not cut off his supply. Cut off the head of the snake and the body will die.

You see those bad friends? They either know the supplier or the supplier is amongst them.

You need to organise serious police or soldiers to mend those guys.

Let them cool off inside cell for a week. After that, give them undertaking to sign never to near your brother again.

Of course, your brother will experience withdrawal symptoms. But once the drugs are weaned out of his system he will be fine.

8 Likes

Re: Help! My Kid Brother Is Going Mad. by Ola17: 3:10am On Jan 22, 2022
doggedfighter:

He needs medical and psychiatric evaluation and corresponding treatment not prayers or magic.

That was how I saw a handsome young man chained in front of a church with terrible cane marks on his body last year.

albara
Listen to this wise post and act accordingly. A relation has gone through this. Many people will tell you to take him to this or that prophet or pastor, please ignore them. Take your brother to a good psychiatric hospital now that’s not late. One month tops, your brother will come back to ’normal’.

Be guided.

5 Likes

Re: Help! My Kid Brother Is Going Mad. by GogetterMD(m): 3:40am On Jan 22, 2022
Do your findings well. He is still abusing a substance which might not necessarily be weed or cigarette.
Take him for rehab

1 Like

Re: Help! My Kid Brother Is Going Mad. by Bluewitch(f): 5:05am On Jan 22, 2022
doggedfighter:

I hope they heed to your advice....

1 Like

Re: Help! My Kid Brother Is Going Mad. by 3plet: 11:55am On Jan 22, 2022
U just said my mind 80%.the guy was never off drugs
ValCon888:
Excellent narration OP.

I think I can determine the substances your brother abused based on the timeline.

At the first stage, your brother was taking Arizona and Colorado when he was fighting his sisters. That is weed mixed with crack cocaine.

Arizona and Colorado makes you extremely excitable and prone to challenging authority.

At the second stage when "he withdrew from drugs", your brother was taking codein.

Codein makes you numb, sluggish and forgetful. You begin to see the world like it's on slow motion.

At the third stage, when your brother beat your mum and was seeing things, he was taking crystal meth a.k.a mkpuru mmirri.

All the psychiatrists in the world cannot help him if you do not cut off his supply. Cut off the head of the snake and the body will die.

You see those bad friends? They either know the supplier or the supplier is amongst them.

Let them cool off inside cell for a week. After that, give them undertaking to sign never to near your brother again.

Of course, your brother will experience withdrawal symptoms. But once the drugs are weaned out of his system he will be fine.

Take note op of this fact "some" responsible and "some" irresponsible people use "hard drugs" and vice versa as there are responsible folks and as well irresponsible folks who don't take "hard drugs'. The most important thing here is the" circle "one finds themselves upon first contact with hard drugs. u may succeed in weaning him &you can do it without inflicting trauma ,firstly identify his clique and make necessary adjustments .u will need the help of your "responsible friends"who take hard drugs. truth is you just can't stop him abruptly rather it should be systematic.
Re: Help! My Kid Brother Is Going Mad. by Albara(m): 11:23pm On Jan 22, 2022
doggedfighter:

Thanks for the advice doggedfighter. Although I believe in the existence of God, I am no overly a religious extremist nor diabolic in nature. However, seeing my kid bro in the condition he is now made me to open up to every possible way we could help him. I didn't quite finish up the story yesterday so, I didn't get to tell you guys how I took him to a government owned mental institution in the city where I reside. Bottom line is, I did tried to get him medical help from a mental institution. He's on medication now but there are still traces of the symptoms. I'll update the story later so that youll get a clearer narration of the situation......Thank you once again for the advice.

1 Like

Re: Help! My Kid Brother Is Going Mad. by Albara(m): 11:30pm On Jan 22, 2022
Amotolongbo:
Please take him to a psychiatric hospital before it gets out of hand

Thanks for the advice. I am one of those who believe in the medical science too. psychiatric hospital is all I think of right now. I'll update the story later for more insight of the situation.
Re: Help! My Kid Brother Is Going Mad. by Albara(m): 11:38pm On Jan 22, 2022
daddytime:
Get him back on that marijuana, please in a controlled manner if possible. That could just be the "natural oxygen" his brain is being denied of and just might be what'd jolt him back to his old bubbly self a.k.a factory resetting things.

Most people won't understand this submission, I am sure.

You could as well try the psychia...route as posited above too.

I wish you guys well.

Well, I'm not so sure about getting him back on marijuana, however, I do believe the medical route will be safer. Anyways, Thanks for ur advice.
Re: Help! My Kid Brother Is Going Mad. by Albara(m): 11:43pm On Jan 22, 2022
Uyi168:
theres a link between cannabis use and psychosis.
it also possible that your brother abused other substances too.
in all, he needs to be taken to a psychiatric hospital.

hopefully, the damage is not permanent or irreversible yet..

I thought so too. I don't smoke, but I've heard cannabis doesn't make someone get mentally deranged. I had my doubts too, I did my investigations and the friends he followed all said he only did marijuana and cigarettes. I'm very confused as it is now.
Re: Help! My Kid Brother Is Going Mad. by Albara(m): 11:56pm On Jan 22, 2022
ValCon888:
Excellent narration OP.

Wow! you seemed to have figured it all out from there. Although, I can categorically tell you that Mkpu mmiri is not that much on the streets down here and codeine is too expensive for him to afford and arresting the boys and the supplier? none of em forced my kid bro in to smoking, he willing joined them. All we can do about the bad company is to try and cut him off from them which we successfully did. As for arizona and colorado, I don't know much about, I only knew ge did marijuana. You should try investigative journalism though, your sense of imaginations can do you wonders in that field. Anyways, thanks for your submission. Appreciations.

2 Likes

Re: Help! My Kid Brother Is Going Mad. by Albara(m): 12:03am On Jan 23, 2022
GogetterMD:
Do your findings well. He is still abusing a substance which might not necessarily be weed or cigarette.
Take him for rehab
I did try, but all I got is that he did marijuana and cigarrettes. I still have my suspicions though and he's not in the right state of mind to come clean about that right now
Re: Help! My Kid Brother Is Going Mad. by doggedfighter(f): 6:45am On Jan 24, 2022
Albara, how are you doing out there?

How's your brother and the rest of the family doing?

Is he getting any better?

What's the situation ? Maybe too early to ask though.

Good morning !

2 Likes

Re: Help! My Kid Brother Is Going Mad. by Krak(m): 7:52am On Jan 24, 2022
doggedfighter:

Good morning !

https://www.nairaland.com/6953391/kid-brother-going-mad
Re: Help! My Kid Brother Is Going Mad. by LadySarah: 9:11am On Jan 24, 2022
Albara:

Thanks for the advice doggedfighter. Although I believe in the existence of God, I am no overly a religious extremist nor diabolic in nature. However, seeing my kid bro in the condition he is now made me to open up to every possible way we could help him. I didn't quite finish up the story yesterday so, I didn't get to tell you guys how I took him to a government owned mental institution in the city where I reside. Bottom line is, I did tried to get him medical help from a mental institution. He's on medication now but there are still traces of the symptoms. I'll update the story later so that youll get a clearer narration of the situation......Thank you once again for the advice.

yes there will still be traces.keep on with the treatment he'll be alright.

Religous ppl will drain you of your finances meawhile God gives healing free.Still keep praying and working with the mental health institution

My cousin had the same case but now hes a whole lot better.
Re: Help! My Kid Brother Is Going Mad. by Albara(m): 11:49pm On Jan 24, 2022
LadySarah:

yes there will still be traces.keep on with the treatment he'll be alright.

Religous ppl will drain you of your finances meawhile God gives healing free.Still keep praying and working with the mental health institution

My cousin had the same case but now hes a whole lot better.
Your words are motivating. I'll keep trying my best to get help for him. Thank u for the advices once again, you're a god sent
Re: Help! My Kid Brother Is Going Mad. by Albara(m): 11:57pm On Jan 24, 2022
doggedfighter:

Good morning !

Hello doggedfighter, I'm holding up really strong and my family are doing okay.

The situation is a bit complex, I did updated the story yesterday and I saw someone shared the link to u in the comment thread, please go through it, some of the questions will b answered there. Thank u very much.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Help Me Out / Flat Tommy / Treat womanly Infections By Yourself And Protect Yourself Subsequently

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.