Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,736 members, 7,817,028 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:33 PM

Military Coup Underway In Burkina Faso: President Kabore Detained By Mutineers - Foreign Affairs (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Military Coup Underway In Burkina Faso: President Kabore Detained By Mutineers (25266 Views)

Coup Attempt In Burkina Faso / Coup Underway In Sudan: Internet Disrupted, Prime Minister, 4 Others Detained / Mali Coup: President Bah Nda, PM, Defence Minister Detained By Mutinous Soldiers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Military Coup Underway In Burkina Faso: President Kabore Detained By Mutineers by BobbieZion(m): 11:40am On Jan 24, 2022
ViperAda:
About 4 countries have had regime change through coup d'etat in the last five years.
Buhari was sensible as much as possible to avoid the mistakes of appointing a particular section of the country at the helm of security sector. The trigger happy fifth columnists would have perpetrated a repeat of January 1966, going by the extreme amount of hate they exhibit against the country on a daily.
God bless President Mohammad Buhari.

-Viper

Buhari is the first Military Man to coup a Civilian Democratically Elected Govt.
And then was removed 18months later in a bloodless coup like a bloody Civilian.
Over 30 years later he has come back to finally bury the carcass he has made of a Nation.
He will go down as the worst most useless leader in the history of the World,just like Mobutu,Al-Bashir,Al-Assad,Hosni Mubarak,Sadam,Idi Amin,Yahaya Jammeh,Idris Deby. Etc
Buhari is a bigot and an extremist.
Even his state of Katsina has been over run by Islamist.
Buhari, Buharists and Buharideens are the greatest enemies of Nigeria,but hypocrites will be forming Patriots.

Don't tell me shit I am from NE so we know the situation at hand.

-Eagle

1 Like

Re: Military Coup Underway In Burkina Faso: President Kabore Detained By Mutineers by Maswell432: 11:43am On Jan 24, 2022
see below

Re: Military Coup Underway In Burkina Faso: President Kabore Detained By Mutineers by BigBashiru: 11:47am On Jan 24, 2022
KingSatan:
In the 21st century when other nations are investing heavily in Science, Tech, Artificial Intelligence, The Metaverse, Robotics etc.

My Africa is still actively engaged in Mutinies and Coup d'état.

Dark Continent Indeed.

Says an inferiority complex brainwashed olodo.

Since 1960 France has carried out over 50 illegal military interventions in Africa with many without the approval of the UN security Council....

The independence gained by African states in 1960 was NOMINAL.

Western Europeans = the black man's burden.

Western Europe is the dark continent. Till today they are always plotting one thing or the other on the African continent because they are poor without Africa. ..

I hope this inferiority complex and colonial brainwashing clears from your eyes soon.

1 Like

Re: Military Coup Underway In Burkina Faso: President Kabore Detained By Mutineers by Vidiga100: 11:47am On Jan 24, 2022
Lamba42:
*CRUDE OIL & AGO (DIESEL)AVAILABLE,COMMERCIAL QUANTITY SERIOUS BUYERS & ENQUIRIES ONLY.*
hi good morning. How are you. Sir I'm desperately in need of a job. Please I'm losing my young son emotionally and mentally as I'm not there for him and this is making me Lose my mind, please I need a job, I'm 26 and I can fo anything. Please this is serious
Re: Military Coup Underway In Burkina Faso: President Kabore Detained By Mutineers by Nobody: 11:55am On Jan 24, 2022
OceanEye:
African countries are getting tired of old and recycled leaders.

Kabore wasn't a 'recycled' leader per se.
Re: Military Coup Underway In Burkina Faso: President Kabore Detained By Mutineers by Nobody: 11:56am On Jan 24, 2022
BIGDADDY000:
How could I wish, something of such should happen here in Nigeria.

Back in November 1965, a lot of people said the same thing you are saying, and by 1975, they were crying for civilian rule.
Re: Military Coup Underway In Burkina Faso: President Kabore Detained By Mutineers by prigoz(m): 11:57am On Jan 24, 2022
Bubu will be peeing and pooing in his pants.

Re: Military Coup Underway In Burkina Faso: President Kabore Detained By Mutineers by Nobody: 11:57am On Jan 24, 2022
ViperAda:
About 4 countries have had regime change through coup d'etat in the last five years.
Buhari was sensible as much as possible to avoid the mistakes of appointing a particular section of the country at the helm of security sector. The trigger happy fifth columnists would have perpetrated a repeat of January 1966, going by the extreme amount of hate they exhibit against the country on a daily.
God bless President Mohammad Buhari.

-Viper

Has nothing to do with Buhari, and everything to do with the fact that army people don't like coups.

And that Obasanjo, on taking over, retired all the remaining coupists still in the Army.
Re: Military Coup Underway In Burkina Faso: President Kabore Detained By Mutineers by Nobody: 12:00pm On Jan 24, 2022
PrinceMajestic:
Nigerian pussy ass soldiers will not learn from Burkinafaso, Sudan, Mali etc. Only to subject themselves as slaves of evil and sorrow to kill n harrass innocent armless civilians is what they're good at, a military coup could have saved Nigeria from Buhari and his Boko Haram/Fulani Terrorists

Mali still has issues with terrorism. Nothing has changed, and the economy is still bad.

Sudan's army rulers are facing serious protests from their people every day.

You want a coup because your side lost out in the political games to their side, not because you want a better Nigeria.

Army rule was one long harsh thing. It was not a good thing for the Army and for Nigeria.
Re: Military Coup Underway In Burkina Faso: President Kabore Detained By Mutineers by Nobody: 12:03pm On Jan 24, 2022
wirinet:

Nigeria too is heading in the same direction. The rank and file will one day become frustrated with the incessant killings of junior soldiers on the battle front due to lack of adequate arms and ammunitions, despite trillions of naira in defense budget year in year out. Added to the lack of prompt payment of meagre salaries and allowances that is paid late. Meanwhile the senior officers with political connections are living big.

I pray the Buhari administration sees the danger and quickly address the moral and equipment of our military fast before it degenerates into a crisis.

Or our army wakes up and realizes that the war against Boko is not a conventional war, but an asymmetric war that must be fought by asymmetric means.

We need more improvement for our special forces. And better tactics. THat's what.

A coup won't change anything. And would even make life more difficult.

LORD Knows i don't like this government, but army rule would make things worse. And the same old corruption would still be there.
Re: Military Coup Underway In Burkina Faso: President Kabore Detained By Mutineers by Nobody: 12:03pm On Jan 24, 2022
wirinet:

Even though I don't support a coup, sometimes a coup might be the only option for securing the territorial integrity of a country. It happened in Egypt. When Mohammed Morsi was bringing in religion into politics and allowing Muslim Brotherhood into government, the military leaders led by El Sis overthrew his government.

The military is usually a unifying organization, they won't tolerate a civilian government that would dismember the country or introduce policies that would disunity the country.

Even in the former Soviet Union, the military attempted a coup against Boris Yeltsin from breaking up tje union. It failed because the people supported Yelsin.

What the Burkinabe (and Nigerian) soldiers are complaining about is not even tactics. It's lack of basic equipment to fight the militants or Islamic terrorists. They are ordered to the war front without adequate arms, without enough ammunitions and without adequate supplies. Apart from that no adequate intelligence and then they have to deal with sabotage. It's like a suicide mission. And they cannot resign. Many fine officers have died needlessly.
The terrorist can easily buy their equipment's off the street in Libya or get supports from other government who have ulterior stake in your country , same does not happen for a democratic government , whose activities are always on the radar, if they do same, human rights activist would start to shout, so they have to go through the legal route which involves a lot of diplomatic wrangling. If it is difficult for a democratic government to get equipment's do you know how much more difficult it would be for a military government. I quite sympathize with the men of the force but they can't deny there have been a tremendous improvement in terms of equipping the Military with PMB. .. biko I reserve my comment on this matter it is Monday morning.
Re: Military Coup Underway In Burkina Faso: President Kabore Detained By Mutineers by OceanEye: 12:05pm On Jan 24, 2022
backbencher:

Kabore wasn't a 'recycled' leader per se.

Well, at least he fits into the old category as I mentioned
Re: Military Coup Underway In Burkina Faso: President Kabore Detained By Mutineers by wirinet(m): 12:06pm On Jan 24, 2022
backbencher:

Mali still has issues with terrorism. Nothing has changed, and the economy is still bad.

Sudan's army rulers are facing serious protests from their people every day.

You want a coup because your side lost out in the political games to their side, not because you want a better Nigeria.

Army rule was one long harsh thing. It was not a good thing for the Army and for Nigeria.

But all the infrastructures we identify with our nation was build under military rule. Lagos Internation airport, National Arts Theatre, Third mainland Bridge, the four refineries, etc. Compare with national infrastrural assets build by civilians.
Re: Military Coup Underway In Burkina Faso: President Kabore Detained By Mutineers by Nobody: 12:10pm On Jan 24, 2022
wirinet:

There was no militancy, IPOB, Boko Haram, Fulani Herdsmen and ISWAP during military regimes. The corruption was less under military regimes.

LOL...

1.Army rule, part one.1966-79..we had a 3 year civil war, pogroms in 1966, rise in violent armed robbery in the 1970's, and the usual tribal crisis.

2.Army rule from 1983-99..we had Maitatsine, islamists, tribal violence, religious violence...1987 was hot, I tell ya...people thought we would end in anarchy, rise of cultisim and cultic violence, and violent armed robbery. (era of Anini and Shina Rambo....which is what led to the formation of SARS).

3.Army rule 1983...our economy went down, and down and down, and we became more and more dependent on oil...which is why we are in a mess today.
The worse thing about military regimes was Human Rights violations and abuses, sit tightism and authoritarianism.

And you want that?

No, I so don't want to go back to the days where criticizing government could get you locked up incommunicado for months on end.

This civilian rule is bad, and awful...but Army rule? I don't want to be like Fela's zombie again.

We all complained about first and second republic...and got Army rule...and see what it did to us. We were crying for the corrupt politicians within 10 years of army rule each time.
Re: Military Coup Underway In Burkina Faso: President Kabore Detained By Mutineers by Nobody: 12:13pm On Jan 24, 2022
SportsHD:
Mehn, France is doing an Amazing job at keeping niggers where they deserve. Almost all francophone countries have had a coup these last ten years.

Nothing to do with the French, and everything to do with leaders not doing their job well.

And also people not holding their leaders accountable, and taking an active part in the democratic process

Democracy does not work well in Africa because we all vote, and then go home. We don't take part, we don't think critically, we don't do the hard work of accountability. SO, the government messes up, and the army comes in and sets up their own autocratic version of governance.

Army is complaining of being killed by ISWAP...has the army taken a close look at its tactics? NO, its the fault of the civillans.

Stop blaming the french. We have brains, and have been independent for decades. Time we woke up and used our heads.
Re: Military Coup Underway In Burkina Faso: President Kabore Detained By Mutineers by Belleful: 12:14pm On Jan 24, 2022
Africa soldiers staging come backs. Reclaiming what democracy took from them. The west is watching without doing anything. Sudan Mali guinea and now bukinafaso
Re: Military Coup Underway In Burkina Faso: President Kabore Detained By Mutineers by Nobody: 12:17pm On Jan 24, 2022
wirinet:

But all the infrastructures we identify with our nation was build under military rule. Lagos Internation airport, National Arts Theatre, Third mainland Bridge, the four refineries, etc. Compare with national infrastrural assets build by civilians.

So?

Nigeria's economy did not improve under army rule...plus civilians built a lot of things (universities, roads, railways, etc. )

And Warri refinery and PH Old refinery started under civilian rule by the way...not army rule. Kaduna and New ph were army rule things.

Either way, Nigeria is still a resource dependent , poor nation, army or civilian.
Re: Military Coup Underway In Burkina Faso: President Kabore Detained By Mutineers by Nobody: 12:19pm On Jan 24, 2022
OceanEye:

Well, at least he fits into the old category as I mentioned

Doesn't matter, he was elected, and had never ruled the country before.
Re: Military Coup Underway In Burkina Faso: President Kabore Detained By Mutineers by jimtemi1: 12:22pm On Jan 24, 2022
The government don use money cover our generals... The only thing they can overthrow is girls
Re: Military Coup Underway In Burkina Faso: President Kabore Detained By Mutineers by guywitzerogal(m): 12:26pm On Jan 24, 2022
Lovenorth:
Useless Burkina Faso soldiers like to destroy their country because of love for power at all cost
if you don't know what to say please keep quiet... You think if Army remove buhari we no go happy ni
Re: Military Coup Underway In Burkina Faso: President Kabore Detained By Mutineers by DeepSight(m): 12:34pm On Jan 24, 2022
wirinet:

Believe me kwarapshin is far greater under civilian government. The total revenue received by the IBB government in 8 years is less than the total revenue received by the Jonathan government in one year. Meanwhile we can point to some projects by IBB. (Remember IBB fought 2 wars). Name one infrastructural project by Jonathan. The total revenue received by Abacha in his 6 odd years is probably only 3 month's revenue by this Buhari government. Remember crude prices fell to $8 under abacha and never rose above $16, all these while under sanctions.

I dont need to tell you that the money of yesteryears has different value from the money of today. And I am not talking about exchange rate evolution only. I mean dollar to dollar. $10 yesterday is not $10 today even in the United States. Many variables factor in, inflation being the main one, but by no means the only one. Aside from this I am shocked that you say we cannot name one infrastructural project under GEJ. Thats an extremist assessment and all extremist assessments are false ab initio. The truth is that the GEJ gwament had several projects to be proud of, and several legacies which will be spoken of for decades to come (not least the democratic disposition which permitted the handover to an opposition party - you know most would die-fighting). Sadly the truth is also that GEJ was a weak leader, did not understand presidential authority, was corrupt, and worse, did not keep those under him on a leash - such that they were able to go to town with reckless abandon. The most infamous being the Diezani/ Kola Aluko cabal. He also failed security-wise - even though again, in truth, Buhari's spectacular failure in the same regard has somewhat reduced the extent to which we can point to GEJ alone on that matter.

PS: Please do not scandalize me by being one of those who praise IBB for anything. If you have in mind the third mainland bridge, not only was that ongoing, but the fact is that the man not only institutionalized kwarapshin in this kwantri, he also set us back a great deal with his fraudulent transition programme. This is aside from being a serial treasonable felon.

1 Like

Re: Military Coup Underway In Burkina Faso: President Kabore Detained By Mutineers by Dan18(m): 12:42pm On Jan 24, 2022
It's funny how everyone is criticizing their military for toppling the corrupt govt, sometimes sef Nigerians deserve what we get.

Shey dem never suppose don do coup for Nigeria too?? If not that those at the elms of affairs of the AF are also beneficiaries of the widespread corruption..
Re: Military Coup Underway In Burkina Faso: President Kabore Detained By Mutineers by wirinet(m): 12:45pm On Jan 24, 2022
backbencher:

LOL...

1.Army rule, part one.1966-79..we had a 3 year civil war, pogroms in 1966, rise in violent armed robbery in the 1970's, and the usual tribal crisis.
The crisis that led to the 3 year civil war started under the Tafa Balewa government. The federal government's interference on the Western Nigeria elections led to a break down of law and order and the military supposedly came in to unify the country and stem corruption.

2.Army rule from 1983-99..we had Maitatsine, islamists, tribal violence, religious violence...1987 was hot, I tell ya...people thought we would end in anarchy, rise of cultisim and cultic violence, and violent armed robbery. (era of Anini and Shina Rambo....which is what led to the formation of SARS).
The army dealt decisively with Maitatsine islamists, the 3rd armoured division under General Buhari pursued the Islamist into Chad, much to the anger of the civilian government led my Shehu Shagari. Buhari was actually queried for entering Chad against government directives.

IBB publicly gave the then IG a standing order to fish out Anini and he was arrested within weeks.

Then cult activities were restricted to the universities and higher institutions. Cult gangs did not take over our streets, motor parks and secondary schools as it is now.

3.Army rule 1983...our economy went down, and down and down, and we became more and more dependent on oil...which is why we are in a mess today.
Our economy has been going down since the seventies, but is accelerates during civilian regimes.

Both military and civilian regimes have relied on oil to run their governments. No government since independence has designed a plan to diversify our economy away from oil.

And you want that?
All I want is relative safety for my family and business. Any government that can supply that I support.

No, I so don't want to go back to the days where criticizing government could get you locked up incommunicado for months on end.

This civilian rule is bad, and awful...but Army rule? I don't want to be like Fela's zombie again.

We all complained about first and second republic...and got Army rule...and see what it did to us. We were crying for the corrupt politicians within 10 years of army rule each time.

If Because of corruption within the civilians politicians, Boko Haram takes over North East, Fulani Bandits take over North West, militants take over South South, IPOB takes over South East and cultists take over South West, would you be happy?
Re: Military Coup Underway In Burkina Faso: President Kabore Detained By Mutineers by Markswag101: 12:51pm On Jan 24, 2022
What's with Francophone West african nations and coup of recent first, Mali, the Guinea now Burkina shocked
Re: Military Coup Underway In Burkina Faso: President Kabore Detained By Mutineers by Nicepoker(m): 12:52pm On Jan 24, 2022
Lamba42:
*CRUDE OIL & AGO (DIESEL)AVAILABLE,COMMERCIAL QUANTITY SERIOUS BUYERS & ENQUIRIES ONLY.*
Crude oil? Where is your license.
Re: Military Coup Underway In Burkina Faso: President Kabore Detained By Mutineers by Omodua(m): 12:53pm On Jan 24, 2022
KingSatan:
In the 21st century when other nations are investing heavily in Science, Tech, Artificial Intelligence, The Metaverse, Robotics etc.

Dark Continent Indeed.
Coup supported. Coup d'etat is indigenous form of Democracy in Africa. Coup's provide checks and balances in the leadership mantle on the continent where ballot boxes fail to install credible leadership. Our country needs coup to right the wrongs where Democracy has proved ineffective and only succeeded in breeding grinding poverty and wars.

1 Like

Re: Military Coup Underway In Burkina Faso: President Kabore Detained By Mutineers by Nicepoker(m): 12:54pm On Jan 24, 2022
Lovenorth:
Useless Burkina Faso soldiers like to destroy their country because of love for power at all cost
They are demanding for support from the government against the fight with islamist militants.
Re: Military Coup Underway In Burkina Faso: President Kabore Detained By Mutineers by Omodua(m): 12:54pm On Jan 24, 2022
BIGDADDY000:
How could I wish, something of such should happen here in Nigeria.
Exactly.
Re: Military Coup Underway In Burkina Faso: President Kabore Detained By Mutineers by Lamba42(m): 12:55pm On Jan 24, 2022
Nicepoker:
Crude oil? Where is your license.
Seller has ATS, serious enquiries only please
Re: Military Coup Underway In Burkina Faso: President Kabore Detained By Mutineers by Saig: 1:00pm On Jan 24, 2022
KingSatan:

Dark Continent Indeed.
Yes, I think it becomes necessary when the government in power is doing little or nothing to see that these things are brought to his country and unconcerned of the people's welfare. I feel Nigeria needs a reset at some point

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

U.S. Airman Who Set Himself On Fire Outside Israeli Embassy In D.C. Has Died / Gunman Kills 27 Including Children At An Elementary School / 117 Dead, 20,000 Troops Deployed As Unrest Persists In South Africa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.