Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,706 members, 7,816,895 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:41 PM

Military Coup Underway In Burkina Faso: President Kabore Detained By Mutineers - Foreign Affairs (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Military Coup Underway In Burkina Faso: President Kabore Detained By Mutineers (25260 Views)

Coup Attempt In Burkina Faso / Coup Underway In Sudan: Internet Disrupted, Prime Minister, 4 Others Detained / Mali Coup: President Bah Nda, PM, Defence Minister Detained By Mutinous Soldiers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Military Coup Underway In Burkina Faso: President Kabore Detained By Mutineers by ambale(m): 1:06pm On Jan 24, 2022
All of the world shenanigans going on in Africa

Seems to only thing that looks like United in Africa is sport or football only sef

Our leaders are just too insensitive leaving little stones to turn to a mountain and then now paying heavily to deal with it.
Re: Military Coup Underway In Burkina Faso: President Kabore Detained By Mutineers by BigBashiru: 1:09pm On Jan 24, 2022
Markswag101:
What's with Francophone West african nations and coup of recent first, Mali, the Guinea now Burkina shocked

Because power in those countries is shifting from France back to the people of those countries and to a new more credible ally - Russia.

God has heard the prayers and cries of the Africans smiley

2 Likes

Re: Military Coup Underway In Burkina Faso: President Kabore Detained By Mutineers by OceanEye: 1:21pm On Jan 24, 2022
backbencher:

Doesn't matter, he was elected, and had never ruled the country before.

Looks like it does matter in Burkina Faso, obviously!
Re: Military Coup Underway In Burkina Faso: President Kabore Detained By Mutineers by Nobody: 1:21pm On Jan 24, 2022
wirinet:

The crisis that led to the 3 year civil war started under the Tafa Balewa government. The federal government's interference on the Western Nigeria elections led to a break down of law and order and the military supposedly came in to unify the country and stem corruption

The crisis was also exacerbated by the activites of the army men and women (If Nzeogwu wanted to change things, he should have joined politics, instead of organising coup and making a bad matter worse)

Plus the period after the civil war was not all that peaceful (Armed robbery became a thing in the 1970's).

The army dealt decisively with Maitatsine islamists, the 3rd armoured division under General Buhari pursued the Islamist into Chad, much to the anger of the civilian government led my Shehu Shagari. Buhari was actually queried for entering Chad against government directives.

Erm, maitatsine was still active till 1985, plus we had religious crisis throughout the 1980's in the North.

And invading Chad could lead to a big diplomatic headache (though then again, LIbya and a host of other countries and actors were in chad, but that's not the point)

IBB publicly gave the then IG a standing order to fish out Anini and he was arrested within weeks

We also had religious issues and crisis, and student cultisim became worse then. And in 1986, students were killed all over the country for protesting

Then cult activities were restricted to the universities and higher institutions. Cult gangs did not take over our streets, motor parks and secondary schools as it is now.

And it got worse under army rule. That's my point.

Our economy has been going down since the seventies, but is accelerates during civilian regimes.

Nigeria's economy has been bad since independence because it is dependent on whatever resource we sell...not on us processing the resources into industrial goods the world needs.

Resource dependency.
Both military and civilian regimes have relied on oil to run their governments. No government since independence has designed a plan to diversify our economy away from oil.

SO, an army government would suddenly do the magic like that?

Better we do the hardwork of democracy and vote in governments who would do the needful. People like South Korea's Park are very very rare.

All I want is relative safety for my family and business. Any government that can supply that I support.

So, let's do that by doing the hard work of democracy. People said the same thing under military rule.

If Because of corruption within the civilians politicians, Boko Haram takes over North East, Fulani Bandits take over North West, militants take over South South, IPOB takes over South East and cultists take over South West, would you be happy?
[/quote]

SO we should go back to authoritiarian rule to get that...or we should do the hard work of democracy?

YOu think that all the funcitoning democracies worked like that in one day?

And anyway, we have bad law enforcement because we think we can use limited oil revenue to fund the police,,....instead of taxing the majority who don't pay income taxes, and diversifying the economy to raise enough cash to fund the police properly

NPF gets about one tenth of what NYPD uses to police 25 million people, and you guys expect miracles?
Re: Military Coup Underway In Burkina Faso: President Kabore Detained By Mutineers by DeepSight(m): 1:22pm On Jan 24, 2022
wirinet:

But all the infrastructures we identify with our nation was build under military rule. Lagos Internation airport, National Arts Theatre, Third mainland Bridge, the four refineries, etc. Compare with national infrastrural assets build by civilians.

Ol boy, I have lived my whole life in Lagos and I never saw something as simple as street lights in Lagos until after 1999.
NEVER.
Digest that.

1 Like

Re: Military Coup Underway In Burkina Faso: President Kabore Detained By Mutineers by Nobody: 1:24pm On Jan 24, 2022
OceanEye:

Looks like it does matter in Burkina Faso, obviously!

It does, and in ten years they will be begging for democracy.

Military rule does not guarantee good governance. It didn't in Burkina Faso.

What guarantees good governance is people holding people to account at all levels, and taking an active part in the political process, and also being realistic sometimes, not just voting, going home and expecting goodies to fall from heaven

1 Like

Re: Military Coup Underway In Burkina Faso: President Kabore Detained By Mutineers by DeepSight(m): 1:27pm On Jan 24, 2022
backbencher:

People like South Korea's Park are very very

This is a most crucial point which seems to be lost on Wirinet. Corruption is terrible, but the corruption under a system of absolute power can never be quantified.

Its laughable when people say the richest men in the world are Gates, Bezos, Musk, etc. If you know anything about what despots amass all of those people would look like clowns. I remember what was revealed about Hosni Mubarak - Not a single one of these so called billionaires could light a candle to what that one had amassed.

1 Like

Re: Military Coup Underway In Burkina Faso: President Kabore Detained By Mutineers by DeepSight(m): 1:28pm On Jan 24, 2022
backbencher:

What guarantees good governance is people holding people to account at all levels, and taking an active part in the political process, and also being realistic sometimes, not just voting, going home and expecting goodies to fall from heaven

GBAM!

1 Like

Re: Military Coup Underway In Burkina Faso: President Kabore Detained By Mutineers by descarado: 1:49pm On Jan 24, 2022
Europe.one day, we will free ourselves
Re: Military Coup Underway In Burkina Faso: President Kabore Detained By Mutineers by Rick9(m): 2:01pm On Jan 24, 2022
Africa. Tufiakwa
Re: Military Coup Underway In Burkina Faso: President Kabore Detained By Mutineers by planetx: 2:35pm On Jan 24, 2022
Another sit tight leader will emerge just like in Guinea and Mali promising endless transition.
Re: Military Coup Underway In Burkina Faso: President Kabore Detained By Mutineers by BigBashiru: 2:58pm On Jan 24, 2022
Markswag101:
What's with Francophone West african nations and coup of recent first, Mali, the Guinea now Burkina shocked

The independence gained from France was only NOMINAL. Power is now shifting away from France.... my guess is the current Burkina Faso president was installed by France.

2 Likes

Re: Military Coup Underway In Burkina Faso: President Kabore Detained By Mutineers by Blackdisciple(m): 3:23pm On Jan 24, 2022
OceanEye:
African countries are getting tired of old and recycled leaders.

You got it
Re: Military Coup Underway In Burkina Faso: President Kabore Detained By Mutineers by femmy77: 3:26pm On Jan 24, 2022
Only God can save us in this Africa
Re: Military Coup Underway In Burkina Faso: President Kabore Detained By Mutineers by Nicenixon: 3:34pm On Jan 24, 2022
mecussey:
Africa need to undergo serious revolution, this oyibo left over government is not working. Next country pls
you are right bro, even almost all developed countries went through revolution.

1 Like

Re: Military Coup Underway In Burkina Faso: President Kabore Detained By Mutineers by BigBashiru: 4:27pm On Jan 24, 2022
backbencher:

Long before democracy there had been other forms of government. The countries that promote democracy today aren't really democracies. For example in Britain, Queen Elizabeth is the permanent Head of State without elections. The elections done to select a prime minister is a sham since whoever is prime Minister would still report to an unelected queen so its not a real democracy.

The west (eu, USA, Britain France etc) promote democracy as a way to meet their selfish interests in the countries they are promoting "democracy"

Britain and France would hate it if an African country gets a monarchy because it means they can no longer manipulate that country.

2 Likes

Re: Military Coup Underway In Burkina Faso: President Kabore Detained By Mutineers by Sammerboi: 4:42pm On Jan 24, 2022
Why a lot of military coup happening in the French West Africa Lately? France are suspect in all these coups taken place in this African countries. A president who disagree with France would be removed forcefully by coup or by a rigged election.
Re: Military Coup Underway In Burkina Faso: President Kabore Detained By Mutineers by Nobody: 4:59pm On Jan 24, 2022
BigBashiru:

Long before democracy there had been other forms of government. The countries that promote democracy today aren't really democracies. For example in Britain, Queen Elizabeth is the permanent Head of State without elections. The elections done to select a prime minister is a sham since whoever is prime Minister would still report to an unelected queen so its not a real democracy.

The west (eu, USA, Britain France etc) promote democracy as a way to meet their selfish interests in the countries they are promoting "democracy"

Britain and France would hate it if an African country gets a monarchy because it means they can no longer manipulate that country.

I lived under military's rule. It was harsh and bad for most of us. Maybe not for you...but for most of us.

Democracy is better. It gives us all a say. Forget western powers...who are just as bad as other governments...but in the west you have a say. In a dictatorships, you only meet oppressions and bad government

If Army rule worked in Africa, why aren't we prosperous then?

Monarchy is even worse. Yes, UK has a monarchy, which has been thoroughly defanged that it is not as powerful as it was 400-500 years ago, when a king could tell people that he was basically god's two i see .France got rid of its monarchs ages ago.
Re: Military Coup Underway In Burkina Faso: President Kabore Detained By Mutineers by BigBashiru: 5:06pm On Jan 24, 2022
backbencher:

I lived under military's rule. It was harsh and bad for most of us. Maybe not for you...but for most of us.

Democracy is better. It gives us all a say. Forget western powers...who are just as bad as other governments...but in the west you have a say. In a dictatorships, you only meet oppressions and bad government

Monarchy is even worse. Yes, UK has a monarchy, which has been thoroughly defanged that it is not as powerful as it was 400-500 years ago, when a king could tell people that he was basically god's two i see .France got rid of its monarchs ages ago.

I will reply you in a separate mention. After I do, please share my response with everyone else you know and tell them to share with everyone else they know. Africa is more prosperous than western europe.
Re: Military Coup Underway In Burkina Faso: President Kabore Detained By Mutineers by Nobody: 5:10pm On Jan 24, 2022
BigBashiru:

I will reply you in a separate mention. After I do, please share my response with everyone else you know and tell them to share with everyone else they know. Africa is more prosperous than western europe.

Africa would be more prosperous when we use our raw materials to make goods and services the world needs and can use, not when we sell raw materials for 2 billion and someone uses part of it to make products worth 17 billion.

Also, you that is shouting western intervention....have you joined a party to articulate your views, or formed a party? All you Nigerians do is play victimhood. Democracy and good governance is hard hard work.
Re: Military Coup Underway In Burkina Faso: President Kabore Detained By Mutineers by BigBashiru: 5:27pm On Jan 24, 2022
backbencher:

I won't enter into a long argument with you. I will just give you the relevant facts to do what you want with. Part of the issue is that the effects of colonization has been downplayed.

1. Native Americans in Canada DID NKT SURVIVE COLONIZATION.
2. Native Americans in USA DID NOT SURVIVE colonization; they almost extinct.
3. The natives of Australia and New Zealand did not survive colonization today they are in the background.

It's because colonization did not succeed in Nigeria though it almost did permanently that you are still arguing by saying "colonization was a long time ago, stop playing victim etc".

Military high handedness my opinion is what will make Nigeria work.... that harshness is what makes it work. UK works because it's strict (just like military)

Who told you monarchy is not as powerful as it was 400 years. Problem with Nigerians be say una go just dey talk and argue without facts. The Head of State in Canada is the british monarch. In Ontario, Quebec etc there's governor generals who all report to the Queen. Same in UK prime Minister reports to Queen. So the queen of England is not just powerful in England but also in all colonies because the "independence" was only nominal.

Why isn't Africa prosperous?

Africa is prosperous but you have been brainwashed by western media yo believe it isn't. As I speak to you western Europe are still fighting themselves over Africa il send you link in a separate mention.

Africa even today despite all the instability is much better than western Europe. There's instability India and China and Venezuela too....

Many Africans abroad are returning home.

95% of the infighting I'm Africa is instigated by the west. You need to understand that western countries are poor and they need Africa more than Africa needs them. They are like poor thieves constantly on the prowl for without all their colonies they will quickly become poor.

Nigeria is prosperous but is overpopulated.
Re: Military Coup Underway In Burkina Faso: President Kabore Detained By Mutineers by BigBashiru: 6:12pm On Jan 24, 2022
backbencher:

Africa would be more prosperous when we use our raw materials to make goods and services the world needs and can use, not when we sell raw materials for 2 billion and someone uses part of it to make products worth 17 billion.

Also, you that is shouting western intervention....have you joined a party to articulate your views, or formed a party? All you Nigerians do is play victimhood. Democracy and good governance is hard hard work.

Here's a recent news article that shows western Europe are still fighting themselves over Africa:

www.rt.com/russia/543196-wagner-sanctions-zakharova-response/amp/

Believe you me my brother they never left us alone in 1960. As I speak to you France wants to take over mali and its sovereignty; it was Russia and China that vetoed and blocked UN support for ecowas sanctions against Mali.

Finally, western media tries to portray African leaders as tyrants who once they get onto power they want to cling to power but its not true. Merkel ruled German for 16yrs! The reason African leaders cling to power is because they are trying to protect their country from western interference.

As for minerals the mineral resources need to be traded with friendly states.

Africa can no longer be ignored on the world scene. Even eu themselves have acknowledged Africa is a rapidly rising power.
Re: Military Coup Underway In Burkina Faso: President Kabore Detained By Mutineers by DabuIIIT: 6:30pm On Jan 24, 2022
GeneralOjukwu IvartheMENTAL :
angry

Islamic Groups affiliated to Boko Haram / Al Shabab/ ISWAP have been causing problems all over Sub Saharan Africa.

The earlier the tumour is cut out the better before it spreads.

Growing bigger every day.
Abeg shut up and quit acting like you got the capacity to process something educated from that afonjanic cerebellar ataxia telangiectasia brain tissue grin

Re: Military Coup Underway In Burkina Faso: President Kabore Detained By Mutineers by GeneralOjukwu: 6:48pm On Jan 24, 2022
DabuIIIT:
angry

Them just buy you a Thesaurus Dictionary abi ? undecided

You wan dey show yasef
Re: Military Coup Underway In Burkina Faso: President Kabore Detained By Mutineers by DabuIIIT: 6:52pm On Jan 24, 2022
GeneralOjukwu:

Them just buy you are a canterkerous element grin you a Thesaurus Dictionary abi ? undecided

You wan dey show yasef
Re: Military Coup Underway In Burkina Faso: President Kabore Detained By Mutineers by 1vid(m): 7:10pm On Jan 24, 2022
KingSatan:
In the 21st century when other nations are investing heavily in Science, Tech, Artificial Intelligence, The Metaverse, Robotics etc.

My Africa is still actively engaged in Mutinies and Coup d'état.

Dark Continent Indeed.

This is the process
Re: Military Coup Underway In Burkina Faso: President Kabore Detained By Mutineers by EagleNest(m): 7:33pm On Jan 24, 2022
Are we still part of this world? Everybody want to rule by all means.
Re: Military Coup Underway In Burkina Faso: President Kabore Detained By Mutineers by ofiko123(m): 7:36pm On Jan 24, 2022
Wahala everyday..
Re: Military Coup Underway In Burkina Faso: President Kabore Detained By Mutineers by Elbinawi: 8:03pm On Jan 24, 2022
BREAKING: President of Burkina Faso arrested by soldiers in apparent coup

Me:

Military coup is the new fashion in West Africa as liberal democracy has failed woefully to bring progress and development to the region.

The truth on the ground is that the civilian politicians in West Africa are extremely wicked and corrupt. In the extreme poverty capital of the whole world that is Nigerian, Nigerian Lawmakers are among the most highest paid in the world.

Sadly, liberal democracy in West Africa is Oligarchic in nature and substance. Apart from maybe Ghana, no West African country is doing well with liberal democracy.

The genocidal Buhari regime in Nigeria is running the most corrupt government in the history of the Nigerian state. This liberal democracy in Nigeria perpetrated genocide in Zaria in December, 2015.

No military regime has murdered peaceful protesters like the genocidal Buhari regime in Nigeria. And This regime has freed thousands of BokoHaram terrorists in the midst of a bloody insurgency.

Conclusion:

Blame the corrupt civilian politicians and not the soldiers seizing power.

#ElbinawiTweets
Re: Military Coup Underway In Burkina Faso: President Kabore Detained By Mutineers by omohayek: 11:11pm On Jan 24, 2022
wirinet:

There was no militancy, IPOB, Boko Haram, Fulani Herdsmen and ISWAP during military regimes. The corruption was less under military regimes.

The worse thing about military regimes was Human Rights violations and abuses, sit tightism and authoritarianism.
The claim that "corruption was less under military regimes" is completely false, and the opposite is actually true. By far the most corrupt regimes in Nigeria's history have been those of Gowon, Babangida and Abacha, all military men. The real difference between civilian and military regimes is that the soldiers have no qualms about arresting or killing any journalists who dare to speak the truth about their misdeeds, so they look cleaner. The easiest justification any over-ambitious soldier can make for executing a coup is to claim to wish to "fight corruption", and that is precisely what every single gang of plotters have said since 1966, including the kleptomaniac Sani Abacha!

Abacha's kleptomania is a matter of public record, but for the sheer level of thieving that went on under Gowon and Babangida, I recommend the well-researched book "This Present Darkness" by Stephen Ellis, who actually took the time to root around original sources in Nigeria, the USA and the UK in digging into Nigeria's culture of corruption and its close ties to criminality.

https://www.hurstpublishers.com/book/this-present-darkness/

1 Like

Re: Military Coup Underway In Burkina Faso: President Kabore Detained By Mutineers by Lamba42(m): 12:38am On Jan 25, 2022
BlackTemplar001:

I am not a buyer, but I can source for buyers but we need to have a deep conversation to establish a healthy relationship
I sent you an email since yesterday, let me know how else I can reach you

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

U.S. Airman Who Set Himself On Fire Outside Israeli Embassy In D.C. Has Died / Gunman Kills 27 Including Children At An Elementary School / 117 Dead, 20,000 Troops Deployed As Unrest Persists In South Africa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.