Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,246 members, 7,811,693 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 05:24 PM

Abdulsalami Reveals How Abacha Was Discovered Dead - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Abdulsalami Reveals How Abacha Was Discovered Dead (1887 Views)

Al-Mustapha: How Abacha Died! Didn’t Die After Eating Apples From Prostitutes / Senator Obinna Ogba Says Abacha Was ‘A Good Man’ / Mustapha Sani Abacha Was Born In Aso Rock To A Sitting Head Of State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Abdulsalami Reveals How Abacha Was Discovered Dead by timtunday: 1:37pm On Jan 25, 2022
Former Head of State, Abdulsalami Abubakar, has revealed how Nigeria’s late dictator, Gen Sani Abacha was discovered dead during the night in 1998.

Abdulsalami noted that the former dictator died during the night and the then Inspector-General of Police, Ibrahim Coomassie, broke the news to him.

The 79-year-old retired general stated during an interview with Daily Trust TV.

WITHIN NIGERIA had earlier reported that Abdulsalami narrated how late Moshood Abiola, MKO, winner of the June 12, 1993, presidential election, fell ill and died during a meeting with the American delegation while in detention in 1998.

He said Abiola was not killed but died after falling ill, contrary to the popular story that the politician took poisoned tea.

Speaking on what he knew about the death of Abacha, Abdulsalami said, “A lot happened the day General Abacha passed away. He died I think the day he was to travel to Togo for, I think, the ECOWAs or AU summit.

“Now I got a call from the Villa that General Abacha wanted to see me. So, immediately what came to my mind, I said; I hope he had not changed his mind about going to this Togo and was going to send me because at that time when he passed away, already I was the de facto number two man because at that time General Diya and others were having a problem on this alleged coup.

“So I suspected that the General had changed his mind and he was going to send me because, in a lot of times, I am called upon to go and represent the head of state. So I took my time when I went to the bathroom and I told my wife, “look I think I might be going to this AU Summit, so help me prepare my bag” but before I finished then there was another call.

“Yes, in the morning. Then there was another call; “look the president is waiting for you,” I said, “okay I am coming”. So I casually put on my tracksuit since there was no time to dress in uniform and so on since there was agitation that I was wanted immediately.

“So I came with my tracksuit, I think I was even wearing slippers. When I entered they said, “General is in the office”; so naturally when I come to the office, no matter who was with General Abacha I normally just go in and meet him, and maybe he would say “Okay, wait, let me finish with this gentleman” or he will ask the fellow to give us chance.

“To my surprise when I came, as I was climbing the steps, somebody said, “No, he said you have to wait in the waiting room”. To my surprise, I was in the waiting room for over 30, 40 minutes, then I kept wondering what was happening. Any time I wanted to go up, they said no, the General said I should wait.

“So after about 40 minutes waiting, then Late Coomassie, (Ibrahim Coomassie), who was the Inspector-General of Police came to where I was sitting and he said “Please come”. Instead of going up to the office, we followed out, he said, “No, we are going to the house”.

“It was in that process he told me, “Look, unfortunately, General Abacha has passed on in the night”. So that was how we went to the villa where General Abacha was living and as we entered, they showed me on the right where his corpse was, so I entered and prayed for his soul and so on.

“Then we entered the parlour where I found some gentlemen including I think…Coomassie of course was there then the chief justice of the federation, I think Ambassador Babagana Kingibe and one or two security operatives, I can’t remember everybody.

“Well at that time I was told he passed away and so on and at that time all these speculations did not arise until later on. All we were concerned was that okay, that the head of state has passed on, how do we now break the news to the country, and so on and so forth.

“We were guided by the then chief justice of the federation saying that “Look, so much as there is the need to inform Nigerians about the passing away of the head of state, you cannot leave a vacuum, there must be a substantive head of state before you can go ahead with other things”. So I think that set up the chain of events.

“So immediately, as the chief of defense staff then, I quickly summoned for the council of state meeting. I was still in my tracksuit because there was no time because it was really a shocking and devastating period we found ourselves. So it was later when we set up the meeting, that I had to go home and really get properly dressed.

“So now when I came back well dressed, by that time members of the military ruling council had started arriving, when we all assembled then we went to the meeting. Of all course, we had to break the news although it had become a common knowledge between the members that his Excellency General Abacha had passed on.

“We had to tell the council of his demise and the advice given by the chief justice of the federation, that before we did anything there must be somebody to take over so that he is in charge.

“It took time before the members of the council of state arrived. Of course in the chamber, there were a lot of interactions. Finally, it was decided that okay we had General Useini who was then the most senior officer, so to speak, but he was in the administration, he was then minister of FCT and I was the chief of defense staff, so the issue was one of us should emerge as the head of state.”

Source: https://thenationalpulse.co/abdulsalami-reveals-how-abacha-was-discovered-dead/

2 Likes

Re: Abdulsalami Reveals How Abacha Was Discovered Dead by Alphafeezay(m): 1:40pm On Jan 25, 2022
The news was at first unbelievable...., God above everything.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Abdulsalami Reveals How Abacha Was Discovered Dead by TheSameGuy(m): 1:48pm On Jan 25, 2022
Ok
Re: Abdulsalami Reveals How Abacha Was Discovered Dead by FreeStuffsNG: 1:51pm On Jan 25, 2022
Hmmm. I think he should write his memoirs too.
Re: Abdulsalami Reveals How Abacha Was Discovered Dead by Truammashton: 1:56pm On Jan 25, 2022
Hmm
Re: Abdulsalami Reveals How Abacha Was Discovered Dead by PrinceOfLagos: 2:00pm On Jan 25, 2022
Abacha that year , All the wickedness and gragra end up for 6ft

Life!

2 Likes

Re: Abdulsalami Reveals How Abacha Was Discovered Dead by FEGNO: 3:23pm On Jan 25, 2022
So so funny. All the names mentioned are Northerners. Like a paddy paddy association. And it is even worse now. When Buhari calls a State Security Meeting, they do not even bother with English or any other Nigerian language. They just speak Hausa/Fulani. That is how despotic and parochial this Government has been.

4 Likes

Re: Abdulsalami Reveals How Abacha Was Discovered Dead by amuwo1980: 3:30pm On Jan 25, 2022
Babagana Kingibe uselessssssss spy and jihadist

3 Likes

Re: Abdulsalami Reveals How Abacha Was Discovered Dead by DMerciful(m): 4:15pm On Jan 25, 2022
Who made Abacha head of state? Yeye dey smell!
Re: Abdulsalami Reveals How Abacha Was Discovered Dead by sapientia(m): 4:42pm On Jan 25, 2022
What if Mustapha shot you
Re: Abdulsalami Reveals How Abacha Was Discovered Dead by sharpwriter(m): 7:36pm On Jan 25, 2022
Why is this one coming out with stories wey we no ask am? Make e Park well or go get a career in creative writing... Mtchew
Re: Abdulsalami Reveals How Abacha Was Discovered Dead by talk2hb1(m): 8:08pm On Jan 25, 2022
Tooh
Re: Abdulsalami Reveals How Abacha Was Discovered Dead by ChemicalReaction(f): 9:02pm On Jan 25, 2022
I'm just curious as to why a whole Head of State would die and no autopsy was taken.
Re: Abdulsalami Reveals How Abacha Was Discovered Dead by christaddicted: 9:13pm On Jan 25, 2022
ChemicalReaction:
I'm just curious as to why a whole Head of State would die and no autopsy was taken.

Hmm! Wait! You've got a point. Never have I thought of this.
Re: Abdulsalami Reveals How Abacha Was Discovered Dead by criminalmindz: 9:26pm On Jan 25, 2022
Cabal Kinginbe to think they use him as abiolas running mate. Yoruba people Una for hear am
Re: Abdulsalami Reveals How Abacha Was Discovered Dead by Okwyjesus(m): 9:42pm On Jan 25, 2022
FEGNO:
So so funny. All the names mentioned are Northerners. Like a paddy paddy association. And it is even worse now. When Buhari calls a State Security Meeting, they do not even bother with English or any other Nigerian language. They just speak Hausa/Fulani. That is how despotic and parochial this Government has been.

That was how they destroyed Nigeria.

Now they are blaming Igbos
Re: Abdulsalami Reveals How Abacha Was Discovered Dead by Buckeyemedia1: 9:51pm On Jan 25, 2022
FreeStuffsNG:
Hmmm. I think he should write his memoirs too.
Most probably on its way out, using the press to promote the hype.

Declassified information, yesterday Abiola, today Abacha, tomorrow difficulties in the imposition of PDP’s Olusegun Obasanjo on Nigeria?

Add am together, give me the answer? Army Arrangement.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Abdulsalami Reveals How Abacha Was Discovered Dead by gulfer: 10:07pm On Jan 25, 2022
This account is at a tangent with that of Al Mustpha...... angry angry angry
Re: Abdulsalami Reveals How Abacha Was Discovered Dead by JAMO84: 11:29pm On Jan 25, 2022
Someone should tell Babangida to write a book and tell us all about June 12. He must not die without revealing what really happened.
Re: Abdulsalami Reveals How Abacha Was Discovered Dead by player007(m): 12:14am On Jan 26, 2022
timtunday:
Former Head of State, Abdulsalami Abubakar, has revealed how Nigeria’s late dictator, Gen Sani Abacha was discovered dead during the night in 1998.

Abdulsalami noted that the former dictator died during the night and the then Inspector-General of Police, Ibrahim Coomassie, broke the news to him.

The 79-year-old retired general stated during an interview with Daily Trust TV.

WITHIN NIGERIA had earlier reported that Abdulsalami narrated how late Moshood Abiola, MKO, winner of the June 12, 1993, presidential election, fell ill and died during a meeting with the American delegation while in detention in 1998.

He said Abiola was not killed but died after falling ill, contrary to the popular story that the politician took poisoned tea.

Speaking on what he knew about the death of Abacha, Abdulsalami said, “A lot happened the day General Abacha passed away. He died I think the day he was to travel to Togo for, I think, the ECOWAs or AU summit.

“Now I got a call from the Villa that General Abacha wanted to see me. So, immediately what came to my mind, I said; I hope he had not changed his mind about going to this Togo and was going to send me because at that time when he passed away, already I was the de facto number two man because at that time General Diya and others were having a problem on this alleged coup.

“So I suspected that the General had changed his mind and he was going to send me because, in a lot of times, I am called upon to go and represent the head of state. So I took my time when I went to the bathroom and I told my wife, “look I think I might be going to this AU Summit, so help me prepare my bag” but before I finished then there was another call.

“Yes, in the morning. Then there was another call; “look the president is waiting for you,” I said, “okay I am coming”. So I casually put on my tracksuit since there was no time to dress in uniform and so on since there was agitation that I was wanted immediately.

“So I came with my tracksuit, I think I was even wearing slippers. When I entered they said, “General is in the office”; so naturally when I come to the office, no matter who was with General Abacha I normally just go in and meet him, and maybe he would say “Okay, wait, let me finish with this gentleman” or he will ask the fellow to give us chance.

“To my surprise when I came, as I was climbing the steps, somebody said, “No, he said you have to wait in the waiting room”. To my surprise, I was in the waiting room for over 30, 40 minutes, then I kept wondering what was happening. Any time I wanted to go up, they said no, the General said I should wait.

“So after about 40 minutes waiting, then Late Coomassie, (Ibrahim Coomassie), who was the Inspector-General of Police came to where I was sitting and he said “Please come”. Instead of going up to the office, we followed out, he said, “No, we are going to the house”.

“It was in that process he told me, “Look, unfortunately, General Abacha has passed on in the night”. So that was how we went to the villa where General Abacha was living and as we entered, they showed me on the right where his corpse was, so I entered and prayed for his soul and so on.

“Then we entered the parlour where I found some gentlemen including I think…Coomassie of course was there then the chief justice of the federation, I think Ambassador Babagana Kingibe and one or two security operatives, I can’t remember everybody.

“Well at that time I was told he passed away and so on and at that time all these speculations did not arise until later on. All we were concerned was that okay, that the head of state has passed on, how do we now break the news to the country, and so on and so forth.

“We were guided by the then chief justice of the federation saying that “Look, so much as there is the need to inform Nigerians about the passing away of the head of state, you cannot leave a vacuum, there must be a substantive head of state before you can go ahead with other things”. So I think that set up the chain of events.

“So immediately, as the chief of defense staff then, I quickly summoned for the council of state meeting. I was still in my tracksuit because there was no time because it was really a shocking and devastating period we found ourselves. So it was later when we set up the meeting, that I had to go home and really get properly dressed.

“So now when I came back well dressed, by that time members of the military ruling council had started arriving, when we all assembled then we went to the meeting. Of all course, we had to break the news although it had become a common knowledge between the members that his Excellency General Abacha had passed on.

“We had to tell the council of his demise and the advice given by the chief justice of the federation, that before we did anything there must be somebody to take over so that he is in charge.

“It took time before the members of the council of state arrived. Of course in the chamber, there were a lot of interactions. Finally, it was decided that okay we had General Useini who was then the most senior officer, so to speak, but he was in the administration, he was then minister of FCT and I was the chief of defense staff, so the issue was one of us should emerge as the head of state.”

Source: https://thenationalpulse.co/abdulsalami-reveals-how-abacha-was-discovered-dead/

I still don’t believe his version of the story.
He only saw the body 30-40 minutes after.
A lot could have happened in that timeframe.

(1) (Reply)

Senator Stella Oduah Re Dumps APC, Returns To PDP / Breaking Simon Ekpa Announce Alliance With Gen Orji Of Biafra National Guard-pic / Mixed Reactions As Peter Obi Was Interviewed By Igbos Woman On CNN

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.