Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,296 members, 7,818,993 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:44 AM

Look At The Bridge Chinese Constructed In China And The Type They Built For Us. - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Look At The Bridge Chinese Constructed In China And The Type They Built For Us. (73229 Views)

Update On Rural Roads Constructed In Akwa Ibom For The Last 18months... Photos / Update On The Bridge In Port Harcourt - Artillery - Rumuola- Garrison / An Overview Of The Loko-oweto Bridge, The Bridge Linking Benue & Nasarawa States (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Look At The Bridge Chinese Constructed In China And The Type They Built For Us. by blackaxe78: 11:55am On Jan 26, 2022
Chinese be flooding Africa with substandard products and construction.

Africa’s newest colonial masters
Re: Look At The Bridge Chinese Constructed In China And The Type They Built For Us. by gidado14(m): 11:57am On Jan 26, 2022
God1000:
Chinese engineers have built amazing infrastructure across China with their expertise, but what baffles me is the crummies they often construct for us in Nigeria, you won't see such in their homeland.

Who do we blame here? Maybe our leaders because it's the amount of money they award some of these projects and they will still embezzle part of it.

They forecast the future while we are trying to copy them without plans

Re: Look At The Bridge Chinese Constructed In China And The Type They Built For Us. by SmartPolician: 11:57am On Jan 26, 2022
Jack005:
Ignorant talk.. Politicians in Nigeria don't execute contracts without budgeting x2/3 of such.. I stay in ph and I can tell you that for every flyover wike does, he makes so much money from it. This is Nigeria bro.

This one still dey argue.

Nigeria's national budget is not up the budget of one state in the United States. With or without corruption, Nigeria is not rich.
The earlier you realize this, the better for you.

Only Maryland is doing $52 billion, while Nigeria's national budget is $40 billion.

1 Like

Re: Look At The Bridge Chinese Constructed In China And The Type They Built For Us. by moshino(m): 11:57am On Jan 26, 2022
Kriss216:
Funny Nigerians cheesy

You want to live a champagne lifestyle on a Beer budget .

Its not the budget that is the problem, its the Nigerian CORRUPTION factor. Both bridges/highways probably cost the same amount of money.
Re: Look At The Bridge Chinese Constructed In China And The Type They Built For Us. by Peace880(m): 11:59am On Jan 26, 2022
PrinceOfLagos:
They built for you what your money can carry

Unfortunately, the money your government signed for building that trash you called "bridge" in Nigeria will equal the same amount used in building that beautiful bridge in china but corruption sad

All this can make pésin crazy, sometimes if dey watch dis òyìnbó kuntri documentry like Dubai on YouTube é go just be like ma gather all our politician and bomb them
Re: Look At The Bridge Chinese Constructed In China And The Type They Built For Us. by wirinet(m): 12:04pm On Jan 26, 2022
dasparrow:
I remember way back when Julius Berger, a german construction company used to build all our roads and bridges. They did an excellent job. But now, our leaders bring in these chinese to come and do our construction and you see the result. If I were president of Nigeria, I will not give one single contract to the chinese. They can't be trusted.

The problem is not the Chinese, it's the Nigerians who contract the Chinese. The Chinese has a policy of giving you the standard you are willing to pay. When you order ordinary consumer items from China, they will give you various prices of various quality of the same product. Physically you would not be able to tell the difference between different standards. Even with drugs you will be asked to specify how much active ingredients you want in the drugs depending on the price you are ready to pay. That's the Chinese model of business.
Re: Look At The Bridge Chinese Constructed In China And The Type They Built For Us. by bluefilm: 12:05pm On Jan 26, 2022
God1000:
Chinese engineers have built amazing infrastructure across China with their expertise, but what baffles me is the crummies they often construct for us in Nigeria, you won't see such in their homeland.

Who do we blame here? Maybe our leaders because it's the amount of money they award some of these projects and they will still embezzle part of it.

Can you pay for the one they have in their place?

Don't you have engineers in your own country to build a standard one for you?
Re: Look At The Bridge Chinese Constructed In China And The Type They Built For Us. by obailala(m): 12:05pm On Jan 26, 2022
God1000:

What is wrong with that Nigerian bridge?... I'm totally lost here... In terms or quality, there doesnt seem to be anything wrong with that Nigerian bridge. Even in terms of aesthetics, there's absolutely nothing wrong with the bridge itself; maybe you might make a case for the dilapidated dwellings surrounding the flyover but what exactly is wrong with the bridge itself?

How exactly do ypu compare apples and bananas?... The 2 bridges are very different, and meant to serve different purposes.

And lastly, was that Nigerian bridge actually even built by the Chinese? What bridge is that?

2 Likes

Re: Look At The Bridge Chinese Constructed In China And The Type They Built For Us. by wirinet(m): 12:06pm On Jan 26, 2022
moshino:

Its not the budget that is the problem, its the Nigerian CORRUPTION factor. Both bridges/highways probably cost the same amount of money.
They don't. The contract sum might be the same, but the actually money going to the Chinese contractor is much less, and they would give you the quality you pay for.
Re: Look At The Bridge Chinese Constructed In China And The Type They Built For Us. by CioAngels(f): 12:06pm On Jan 26, 2022
PrinceOfLagos:

Unfortunately, the money your government signed for building that trash you called "bridge" in Nigeria will equal the same amount used in building that beautiful bridge in china but corruption sad
The Nigeria initiator would have collected 30% in bribe kickbacks.
Re: Look At The Bridge Chinese Constructed In China And The Type They Built For Us. by Lush100(m): 12:06pm On Jan 26, 2022
And this is the bridge we built for ourselves.

It's like u people are joking with your Chinese loan grin

Re: Look At The Bridge Chinese Constructed In China And The Type They Built For Us. by BafanaBafana: 12:07pm On Jan 26, 2022
dasparrow:
I remember way back when Julius Berger, a german construction company used to build all our roads and bridges. They did an excellent job. But now, our leaders bring in these chinese to come and do our construction and you see the result. If I were president of Nigeria, I will not give one single contract to the chinese. They can't be trusted.
You can't blame them.
When you sign 20 billion for a project and give them 10 billion. They know integrity has been lost and they will get away with whatever
Re: Look At The Bridge Chinese Constructed In China And The Type They Built For Us. by generalwo(m): 12:09pm On Jan 26, 2022
Soup when you give international chef 20k to cook and the one wen another man give him wife 5k to cook no go ever taste the same....
Re: Look At The Bridge Chinese Constructed In China And The Type They Built For Us. by obailala(m): 12:10pm On Jan 26, 2022
wirinet:

The problem is not the Chinese, it's the Nigerians who contract the Chinese. The Chinese has a policy of giving you the standard you are willing to pay. When you order ordinary consumer items from China, they will give you various prices of various quality of the same product. Physically you would not be able to tell the difference between different standards. Even with drugs you will be asked to specify how much active ingredients you want in the drugs depending on the price you are ready to pay. That's the Chinese model of business.
First of all, there's absolutely nothing wrong with the bridge posted by the OP, both quality wise and even aesthetically. Of course it isnt as big as the other one he tried to compare it with; both bridges are different and serve different purposes, so the comparison in itself is pointless.

Then this recurring talk in this thread about Chinese building substandard projects, please can anyone in here kindly point out examples of the substandard construction projects the Chinese have executed in Nigeria?

2 Likes

Re: Look At The Bridge Chinese Constructed In China And The Type They Built For Us. by CaptainFM1: 12:13pm On Jan 26, 2022
If your pale' house dey there, you go gree make them remove am to build that kind of bridges?

Shey those bridges are the same cost?
Re: Look At The Bridge Chinese Constructed In China And The Type They Built For Us. by wirinet(m): 12:13pm On Jan 26, 2022
obailala:
What is wrong with that Nigerian bridge?... I'm totally lost here... In terms or quality, there doesnt seem to be anything wrong with that Nigerian bridge. Even in terms of aesthetics, there's absolutely nothing wrong with the bridge itself; maybe you might make a case for the dilapidated dwellings surrounding the flyover but what exactly is wrong with the bridge?

How exactly is it rational to compare apples and bananas?... The 2 bridges are very different, and meant to serve different purposes.

And lastly, was that Nigerian bridge actually even built by the Chinese? What bridge is that?

We are not talking of aesthetics, we are talking about standards and quality. Nigerian bridges and roads are of a lower standard than other developed countries.
I had a relation who worked for a UN agency that carried out a survey of Nigerian roads. He told me that all Nigerian fell short of international standards, including the ones build by Julius Berger. He said the concrete strength and thickness of the roads always comes short of the actual design and traffic specifications.
Re: Look At The Bridge Chinese Constructed In China And The Type They Built For Us. by Naijanascam: 12:18pm On Jan 26, 2022
PrinceOfLagos:

Eggxatly.... you are absolutely correct
After removing percentage for the contract giver,signer, inspector.....yeye dey always smell
Re: Look At The Bridge Chinese Constructed In China And The Type They Built For Us. by MyExpression(m): 12:19pm On Jan 26, 2022
kenny714433:

So you think bridge is meant for decoration. Mention one state in Nigeria that needs this kind of bridge apart from Lagos.

Besides, the companies work on budget provided by their clients.

You are grounded.

I had the same thought.
Round about, bridges and flyovers are built after assessment of traffic flow in around that axis.
Re: Look At The Bridge Chinese Constructed In China And The Type They Built For Us. by obailala(m): 12:19pm On Jan 26, 2022
wirinet:

We are not talking of aesthetics, we are talking about standards and quality. Nigerian bridges and roads are of a lower standard than other developed countries.
I had a relation who worked for a UN agency that carried out a survey of Nigerian roads. He told me that all Nigerian fell short of international standards, including the ones build by Julius Berger. He said the concrete strength and thickness of the roads always comes short of the actual design and traffic specifications.
My main concern is actually the refereence to the Chinese built structures. Several people just have this opinion that the Chinese projects in Nigeria are substandard compared to the JB handled projects. I'm just curious to know the basis for this conclusion. Are there any tangible examples to prove this? Or is this just a result of a long standing but redundant stereotype (i.e. Chinese = poor quality)?

1 Like

Re: Look At The Bridge Chinese Constructed In China And The Type They Built For Us. by elijah101(m): 12:21pm On Jan 26, 2022
How can we have a budget like that when we are not making money … you keep spending and you are not saving or making any money … how you want take get better budget … have sense
Reflect7:
So... China has an annual budget of 5.3 TRILLION dollars per annum.

Nigeria has an annual budget of 35 billion dollars per annum.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_government_budget

YET SOME OAFS ON NAIRALAND think THAT NIGERIA SHOULD HAVE BRIDGES AS ADVANCED AS THOSE IN CHINA.

KAI

Educated illiterates.

Get this. Nigeria is a relatively poor, developing country. It is NOT a rich country, in terms of how much it earns per annum. The oil income is a pittance for its huge population.

The solution for raising national income is continued economic DIVERSIFICATION.

That is your biggest challenge. Far bigger than the much vaunted ''corruption''.

Even if not ONE kobo is stolen by officials, you still would NOT be able to afford those Chinese-style bridges.

Re: Look At The Bridge Chinese Constructed In China And The Type They Built For Us. by DeepSight(m): 12:22pm On Jan 26, 2022
wirinet:

Nigerian bridges and roads are of a lower standard than other developed countries.

This is a misnomer.
Re: Look At The Bridge Chinese Constructed In China And The Type They Built For Us. by Milly44(f): 12:22pm On Jan 26, 2022
Is this a bridge or flyover
Re: Look At The Bridge Chinese Constructed In China And The Type They Built For Us. by Nobody: 12:24pm On Jan 26, 2022
heniford2:
was poor but saw civilization b4 us

Stupid comparisons....... useless debates..

.....must we beat China?

Can't Nigeria develop further without these baseless mentions of foreign madness??

1 Like

Re: Look At The Bridge Chinese Constructed In China And The Type They Built For Us. by EyeofanEagle(m): 12:25pm On Jan 26, 2022
Coolsperm:
Give to the zoo what belong to zoo
U comment made me laugh grin
Re: Look At The Bridge Chinese Constructed In China And The Type They Built For Us. by wirinet(m): 12:25pm On Jan 26, 2022
DeepSight:

This is a misnomer.

Please elaborate.
Re: Look At The Bridge Chinese Constructed In China And The Type They Built For Us. by preshyusufu: 12:26pm On Jan 26, 2022
You no thank God, remember you are still owing them money.
Re: Look At The Bridge Chinese Constructed In China And The Type They Built For Us. by winterfell007(m): 12:27pm On Jan 26, 2022
That particular bridge wasn’t built by CCECC but by Julius Berger

2 Likes

Re: Look At The Bridge Chinese Constructed In China And The Type They Built For Us. by wirinet(m): 12:28pm On Jan 26, 2022
HellVictorinho3:

.....must we beat China?

Can't Nigeria develop further without these baseless mentions of foreign madness??

We can't. Because we live in a globalised economy where goods and services is extremely mobile. The law of demand, supply and market equilibrium operates on a global scale. For you to succeed you have to compete with China.
Re: Look At The Bridge Chinese Constructed In China And The Type They Built For Us. by heniford2: 12:31pm On Jan 26, 2022
HellVictorinho3:

.....must we beat China?

growth its a process you can never count 2 before 1 my friend cheesy
Re: Look At The Bridge Chinese Constructed In China And The Type They Built For Us. by KennethEnyi(m): 12:35pm On Jan 26, 2022
No be where our money reach?
Re: Look At The Bridge Chinese Constructed In China And The Type They Built For Us. by Chidex50(m): 12:36pm On Jan 26, 2022
God1000:

They sign #10BN for a project,embezzle #9BN through back door.Another e.g,have you ever wondered why NFF are always so quick to go for foreign coaches,it's coz they share the bogus salaries with them.Its very common in the System!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Where Could These Be In Lagos at Nights? / Plane Crash Kills Dan Petrescu, Wife, Son And Five Others (Photos) / Japa: See crowd At The UK Embassy In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.