Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,138 members, 7,818,430 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:22 PM

Nigeria’s Iconic Rice Paddy Pyramids To Be Evacuated Tomorrow - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria’s Iconic Rice Paddy Pyramids To Be Evacuated Tomorrow (37000 Views)

Your Bogus Rice Pyramids Are Pyramids of Lies - PDP Mocks Buhari, APC / President Buhari Unveils 1 Million Bags Of Rice Pyramids In Abuja (Pictures) / Sanusi Lamido's N200 Million Library Evacuated (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria’s Iconic Rice Paddy Pyramids To Be Evacuated Tomorrow by Limassol(m): 9:46pm On Jan 26, 2022
jaxxy:
Africa’s largest rice pyramid bt rice is still far more expensive than how Jonathan left it.

Is that not a scam? undecided
Don't be fooled by the term 'largest' - infact it's not as large as it is made to seem. Besides, the whole program was a show of cheap propaganda - for proof look no further than the nearest market near you - the produce is now beyond the reach of many Nigerians , all thanks to this goverment.
Re: Nigeria’s Iconic Rice Paddy Pyramids To Be Evacuated Tomorrow by studentofTruth: 9:54pm On Jan 26, 2022
Nice

Make 5 different 90-second videos of you or your friend sleeping in different places and positions. It can sleeping on the couch or bed or anywhere. Just 5 different videos in different clothes and positions/places.

You will get #1,000 for the 5 videos. The videos should be clear enough to make out the sleeping position and state of the eyes.

send them here: sleepstudies@yandex.com

The 5 videos should not be more than 20 MB. You may zip the file if they are more than that or send them separately.

Thanks
Re: Nigeria’s Iconic Rice Paddy Pyramids To Be Evacuated Tomorrow by nextstep(m): 9:55pm On Jan 26, 2022
Number1benue:

How were they paying them years back angry

Fuel costs more, as do the milling machines, as well as the salaries of everybody involved. Even police and road touts have raised their prices. Time, crops, and lives are also being lost to kidnappers, herdsmen, and others. Servicing your truck, buying tires for it, fixing ball socket joint due to bad roads, etc, cost more. The price of land to farm is more expensive - especially for all these newer farmers. The cost to import needed equipment has doubled in Naira terms since a few years ago. Even the bag to package the rice has added cost.

My brother, please do not blame those who are trying. We're all feeling the effects of change.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s Iconic Rice Paddy Pyramids To Be Evacuated Tomorrow by kmaster007: 9:57pm On Jan 26, 2022
And who told you so... Una never for once appreciate wat dis government hv been doing... But if nah atiku now Una go carry drum dey dance
donbachi:
Apc Campaign rice
Re: Nigeria’s Iconic Rice Paddy Pyramids To Be Evacuated Tomorrow by Nobody: 9:59pm On Jan 26, 2022
Na campaign rice for the almajiris be dis
Re: Nigeria’s Iconic Rice Paddy Pyramids To Be Evacuated Tomorrow by freemanq(m): 10:03pm On Jan 26, 2022
Kindly unveil it during the day,and let press men be allowed to witness it
Re: Nigeria’s Iconic Rice Paddy Pyramids To Be Evacuated Tomorrow by jonnyjustcome22: 10:08pm On Jan 26, 2022
Useless rice pyramid. What is the significant of the rice pyramid when get 50kg buy at an affordable price.
Re: Nigeria’s Iconic Rice Paddy Pyramids To Be Evacuated Tomorrow by Number1benue: 10:08pm On Jan 26, 2022
backbencher:

No, seriously you guys don't get it.

N6000 is not enough to transport the rice from Kano to Abuja self. And you want the rice to sell for N6000 without paying the farmer, the transproter, the suppliers, etc first?

You should know that our naira value has fallen because we waste billions of forex subsidizing a lot of things...petrol inclusive, because we are poor...from oil revenues that are never stable because the price itself is never stable.....leaving limited forex to buffer the naira.

You guys are so obsessed with cheap things, that you don't think about the cost of keeping such things cheap....

Rice cost N6000 in the past because the value of our currency was a bit better, though our economy was not good either. As the population grew and our forex needs grew, we ran out of dollars to buffer the haira, and the value fell, and prices rose. Simple.

Anyway, if you want cheap rice, then we should mechanize all rice farming in this country...so that we can produce rice at levels of 30 million metric tonnes yearly...from the 5 million metric tonnes we produce. So that we can export it to bring in forex that we can use to keep the value of the naira up, and prices low.

A lot of things you wrote up there makes me know you think I don't know how economics work or I want "cheap things" to quote your assumption of me............shm.....

The standard of living for average Nigerians is going down by the day, while people in position's to do anything about only have excuses and challenges and mediocre improvement to give as solitude to the masses.
We should continue like this and keep deceiving our self's that the solution is so far from us. As a country all we see to this country is how we cannot solve our problems cause they are growing everyday which is a very wrong mindset.
Re: Nigeria’s Iconic Rice Paddy Pyramids To Be Evacuated Tomorrow by Number1benue: 10:12pm On Jan 26, 2022
nextstep:

Fuel costs more, as do the milling machines, as well as the salaries of everybody involved. Even police and road touts have raised their prices. Time, crops, and lives are also being lost to kidnappers, herdsmen, and others. Servicing your truck, buying tires for it, fixing ball socket joint due to bad roads, etc, cost more. The price of land to farm is more expensive - especially for all these newer farmers. The cost to import needed equipment has doubled in Naira terms since a few years ago. Even the bag to package the rice has added cost.

My brother, please do not blame those who are trying. We're all feeling the effects of change.

You just managed to list all the shortcomings of the present administration without knowing it......... That's their report card of the last 7years.

Guess what they scored= I leave you to score them since you mention all those things your self
Re: Nigeria’s Iconic Rice Paddy Pyramids To Be Evacuated Tomorrow by delpee(f): 10:15pm On Jan 26, 2022
Waiting for a significant price drop...
Re: Nigeria’s Iconic Rice Paddy Pyramids To Be Evacuated Tomorrow by googlepikins: 10:20pm On Jan 26, 2022
Areaboy2:
what is the point of this pyramid?

It's for photoops nothing else. Just to decieve people. Nigeria needs 80million of bags of rice every 3 months. But this clowns showed us 1 million bags, and we're supposed to be happy.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s Iconic Rice Paddy Pyramids To Be Evacuated Tomorrow by yaki84: 10:40pm On Jan 26, 2022
backbencher:

So, how would you then pay the farmer, transporter, wholesaler, supplier, miller, etc etc...out of that N6000.

What you are suggesting is tantamount to me suggesting that we should pay you a third of your salary instead of the whole lot.

Why I am making fun is that you people want cheap stuff, because you think that people should suffer loss so that you can have 50kg rice for 6000 naira?

No wonder your country is in debt. It really costs a lot in loans to keep things cheap.

Communist countries tried what you are suggesting now, and most of them went broke eventually.
So how come we import rice to Nigeria from Malaysia, Thailand, India, load it in vessels, pay for shipping, pay import duties and other differentials and the rice is just 8k with good quality?
That means we won't be exporting our rice to earn forex cos which country will leave cheap thai rice for low quality, sand filled grains that is even costlier.than thai and other countries quality grains...
Re: Nigeria’s Iconic Rice Paddy Pyramids To Be Evacuated Tomorrow by tophhero(m): 10:40pm On Jan 26, 2022
Nigeria is bless....we are really rich in terms of Agriculture
Re: Nigeria’s Iconic Rice Paddy Pyramids To Be Evacuated Tomorrow by openmine(m): 10:45pm On Jan 26, 2022
backbencher:

Yes, and it happens because we cannot outproduce the big rice countries, until we mechanize. And when that happens, then we can talk.

No sir ....It happens due to the availability and affordability of the products due to consistent power supply,harmonized tax,reduced transport cost and road accessibility in those countries........
Even if we mechanise,as long as we still have persisting issues with unavailable power supply,multiple taxation,hiked transport cost,we will still head no where!
If the FG cannot do anything about those issues i mentioned,the manufacturer will definitely heap the burden of his production cost on the consumers and the consumer will be forced to buy the commodity that is affordable from another country due to the funds at their disposal or will outrightly decide not to purchase locally made but expensive products from Nigeria which will eventually affect the manufacturer whose commodity will be returned and they will run at a loss!

backbencher:

And in response....

The government says that value added tax (VAT) and company income tax have been on the increase since 2015.

But a UN report this year showed that in 2018, Nigeria's estimated VAT gap - the shortfall between potential and actual VAT collections - was one of the largest in Africa

And...

.According to some estimates, Nigeria has one of the world's lowest ratios of tax to GDP.

That is the total amount of tax collected as a proportion of GDP - the value of the country's goods and services.

In 2016, it was at 6%, going by figures from the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD), a grouping of the world's leading market economies.

That is the latest year for which data is available.

The tax-to-GDP ratio in South Africa was 29%, Ghana 18%, Egypt 15% and Kenya 18%, says the OECD.

The average for OECD members - which includes all the advanced economies - was 34%

I have a simple question......the african countries you mentioned.....what is the purchasing power of their currency?
What are the developmental strides of those countries you mentioned compared to ours?
I ask....The taxes that are available to the authorities...what have they been able to use it for?
The agencies that have been unable to remit their actual cashflow....what steps have been taken to plug such loopholes and ensure the actual funds are remitted to the coffers of the country?
Lets stop comparing ourselves to african countries that have gone very far in terms of service delivery to their citizens!

backbencher:

And finally
.In 2018, 19 million Nigerians paid into federal or state coffers, according to government data.
A World Bank report in that year put the country's economically active population at 65 million - so even with rising numbers of taxpayers in recent years, that is still less than 30% paying tax

SAUCE.
Nigerian power sector has a liquidity problem
1.Government sets the price for power...which means power companies lose money, since the set price is below the price of producing the power.
In practice, DISCOS reject power by GENCOS, because they don't have the cash to pay for it.
2.40% of customers don't pay for power.

As a result, all the discos have made losses, and have had to be bailed out, and three of them are in the hands of their debtors now.

Have energy experts not advised the FG to decentralize the power sector through the amendment of the constitution?
Does the FG have the wherewithal to supply adequate and consistent power to all the communities in Nigeria including their states?
The answer is an absolute NO!
There are states with the financial muscle to create and establish Power stations in their state but the law is saying that any power station must first be fed to the national grid!
If the states have the mandate or constitutional powers to provide power to their states, the burden will be taken away from the FG!
You are saying only 40% pay for power...How many energy consumers in Nigeria have electronic meters?
How many consumers have stable power supply in Nigeria?
More than 70% of power consumers resident here are on estimated billing.....why should they pay for services that they dont even get?
Does that make any sense to you? Haba
Re: Nigeria’s Iconic Rice Paddy Pyramids To Be Evacuated Tomorrow by lukency(m): 10:48pm On Jan 26, 2022
They think they can deceive us with a pyramid of rice that can't feed a village.
Re: Nigeria’s Iconic Rice Paddy Pyramids To Be Evacuated Tomorrow by ArewaNorth: 11:23pm On Jan 26, 2022
tuoyoojo:
How does show casing the rice improve the economy and bring down the ever soaring cost of rice

Irrespective of the price soaring, no business has quickly produced millionaires like rice in Nigeria.
The price won't drop so quickly because investors have to recoup their investment which include the machineries, land, human and material resources invested!

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s Iconic Rice Paddy Pyramids To Be Evacuated Tomorrow by ArewaNorth: 11:41pm On Jan 26, 2022
mannasseh:
can pls someone tell me the relevance of building the pyramid in the first place ?

IKBARUTEN11:
What was the significance of the rice pyramid?

Me: it was just to waste extra millions while the hunger lingers in the country

APC of misplaced priorities

The rice pyramids made of 1 million rice paddy was achieved through the Central Bank of Nigeria’s Anchor Borrowers’ Programme (ABP), a programme launched in 2015 to boost agricultural production. Rice farmers association of Nigeria brought rice to NIRSAL instead of money they borrowed, that is the essence of making the pyramid with the rice.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s Iconic Rice Paddy Pyramids To Be Evacuated Tomorrow by Ibime(m): 11:57pm On Jan 26, 2022
Areaboy2:

Campaigning.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s Iconic Rice Paddy Pyramids To Be Evacuated Tomorrow by tragergeorge(m): 12:26am On Jan 27, 2022
naijaboy756:
With the way this government talks about rice revolution, by now rice suppose don be 6k for 50kg. If not the revolution is useless because affordable rice is all that matters.

Without revolution, good foreign rice was Bought for 8k. With revolution it is above 30k.

Which is better?What is happening?

How I wish say Buhari and Lai Mohammed dey chop the local rice sef.
Na foreign rice go full dem kitchen
Hey bro,If not for the local production of rice,we for de pay reach 60k for rice now for 50kg of rice really
Re: Nigeria’s Iconic Rice Paddy Pyramids To Be Evacuated Tomorrow by tragergeorge(m): 12:28am On Jan 27, 2022
backbencher:

So, how would you then pay the farmer, transporter, wholesaler, supplier, miller, etc etc...out of that N6000.

What you are suggesting is tantamount to me suggesting that we should pay you a third of your salary instead of the whole lot.

Why I am making fun is that you people want cheap stuff, because you think that people should suffer loss so that you can have 50kg rice for 6000 naira?

No wonder your country is in debt. It really costs a lot in loans to keep things cheap.

Communist countries tried what you are suggesting now, and most of them went broke eventually.

Modified

Rice can never be 6000 naira for a 50kg bag for the simple reason that we don't have an economy that attracts forex and a strong Naira as a result.

Also, even then, rice cannot be as low as N6000 only. Rice price is determined by farmers, transporters, wholesalers and retailers., and millers. They determine the price they would sell rice to you so that they can make a profit.

Plus we import most of the rice we use. Cost of transporting the rice is another matter.

Modified 2

I don't support the rice pyramid. As far as I am concerned, Nigeria has a long way to go before we can call ourselves a major rice producer. Less than 10% of our agriculture is not mechanized, and we are not like Thailand and Brazil that have lots and lots of wetland...far more than we can ever hope for, to produce rice by the tens of millions of tonnes.

The point of my rant is that many Nigerians have this idea that things should be cheap to help the poor. That's not how an economy is run, and running our power and petrol industries on such a principle is why they are in a mess

sadly this got some real Truth

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s Iconic Rice Paddy Pyramids To Be Evacuated Tomorrow by freshpzy1(m): 12:32am On Jan 27, 2022
naijaboy756:
With the way this government talks about rice revolution, by now rice suppose don be 6k for 50kg. If not the revolution is useless because affordable rice is all that matters.

Without revolution, good foreign rice was Bought for 8k. With revolution it is above 30k.

Too many foolish youth everywhere

They can never appreciate good things

No Nation become great over night

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s Iconic Rice Paddy Pyramids To Be Evacuated Tomorrow by rayopt(m): 1:22am On Jan 27, 2022
Ibime:

Campaigning.

Wow!! U still dey NL. Lol. Big ups bro
Re: Nigeria’s Iconic Rice Paddy Pyramids To Be Evacuated Tomorrow by rayopt(m): 1:29am On Jan 27, 2022
backbencher:

How did PDP not return the rice to the 2000 naira they met it?

Nigeria has a problem with resource depenendecy which accounts for the increase in prices of eveything...we so don't earn enough forex to keep the value of the naira high.

It is why your PDP cannot return the price of bread to the N20 of some thirty years ago, or the 77kobo that beer used to cost in the late 1970's.

Which is why I scream on this site that you people should support leaders who would make us an industrial nation, exporting industrial goods, like cars, phones even blenders. And also vote for leaders who would raise our tax to gdp ratio....to around 40% ...so that we would have enough cash for welfarist projects, and be a really developed naiton in several years.

And forex that would make the naira so strong, that 5 kobo would get you one dollar.

But you want leaders who would give you cheap things, which is why you vote for PDP and why your opposite numbers vote for APC.You want leaders who would share money for you and keep prices so cheap so that you can go and buy imported stuff, while we have no jobs because our domestic industries have been overrun by imports you want.

Good evening. Economics is not about cheap goodies. or keeping things cheap, or expensive. Economics is about making sure that the economy makes enough money to create jobs, and pay the taxman their share....so that the government can keep the economy focused on creating jobs and profit, and innovation and more profit.

Bro, you are really just wasting ur time trying to explain to people with closed minds. Believe me. Nigerians and their lack of wit are the real real problems in this country. I keep telling people, everything should not be about politics but they don't even understand.

If we argue small issue about governance, they bring in APC and PDP. The truth is, whether APC or PDP win election, price of rice is not going down to 6k. And Nigeria will remain in this position for the next ten years until we have reasonable people with reasonable discussions.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria’s Iconic Rice Paddy Pyramids To Be Evacuated Tomorrow by Organs(m): 1:50am On Jan 27, 2022
backbencher:

Modified

Rice can never be 6000 naira for a 50kg bag for the simple reason that we don't have an economy that attracts forex and a strong Naira as a result.

Also, even then, rice cannot be as low as N6000 only. Rice price is determined by farmers, transporters, wholesalers and retailers., and millers. They determine the price they would sell rice to you so that they can make a profit.

Plus we import most of the rice we use. Cost of transporting the rice is another matter.

Modified 2

I don't support the rice pyramid. As far as I am concerned, Nigeria has a long way to go before we can call ourselves a major rice producer. Less than 10% of our agriculture is not mechanized, and we are not like Thailand and Brazil that have lots and lots of wetland...far more than we can ever hope for, to produce rice by the tens of millions of tonnes.

The point of my rant is that many Nigerians have this idea that things should be cheap to help the poor. That's not how an economy is run, and running our power and petrol industries on such a principle is why they are in a mess

I am following you. Brains like yours is what makes Nairaland worth it. Thank you for this summation. Very enlightening.
Re: Nigeria’s Iconic Rice Paddy Pyramids To Be Evacuated Tomorrow by Handsum64: 1:59am On Jan 27, 2022
cosmatika:
Pyramid of lies
Illiterate
Re: Nigeria’s Iconic Rice Paddy Pyramids To Be Evacuated Tomorrow by Nobody: 2:18am On Jan 27, 2022
Aboki people dey try abeg just that small stallion I carry last December my neck never straight up till now cheesy

See how they're lifting bags of rice as if na woman dem dey rise go bed
Re: Nigeria’s Iconic Rice Paddy Pyramids To Be Evacuated Tomorrow by smallsmall: 2:33am On Jan 27, 2022
backbencher:

Modified

Modified 2

You are a confused person and that is why you keep contradicting yourself in your "endless Edits".

But you did ask a very silly question in your first response to the person that said A Bag of Rice was #6,000 before the so-called Paddy Rice Revolution (not sorted Rice, which is half the Volume of Paddy Rice, when sorted, just let us be clear on that) and wondered why it is over #30,000 during this fake and White Elephant Paddy Rice Revolution.

We should be asking you and this useless , deceitful Govt, the same question!
How was a bag of Rice costing #5,200 when this Nepotistic Bigot took Power in 2015, able to pay for all those Channel of Rice Supply, that we still bought it at that Price?

My neighbour just informed that she bought a bag for #36,000 on Monday, 24 january, 2022.
What manner of fake and even criminal, Rice Revolution is this?

Or were there no Rice farmer, transporter, wholesaler, supplier, miller, etc etc in the Rice value-Chain, ...when Rice was being sold for #5,200 in 2015, before we mistakenly elect this incompetent pretender?

Let us tell ourselves the truth, this Buhari was a once-in-a-life-time disaster, the sort of mistake that must never be repeated in five generations.
Everything he touched, he destroyed, from our currency, to Security, to Food, to Agriculture, to Unity among Nigerians, to respect for human life, even treasury looting now starts in the Billions of Naira (NPA, NNPC, NDDC, CUSTOMS, FAAN, MILITARY, Min of Finance, Aso Rock Kitchen and Clinic, the list ios endless.
Re: Nigeria’s Iconic Rice Paddy Pyramids To Be Evacuated Tomorrow by NGpatriot: 2:33am On Jan 27, 2022
The fact that we banned rice importation and we are still enough rice to eat, rice scarcity or emergency means we are almost self-sufficient in rice production.

God Bless PMB.. grin grin

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s Iconic Rice Paddy Pyramids To Be Evacuated Tomorrow by smallsmall: 2:34am On Jan 27, 2022
Remag666:
Aboki people dey try abeg just that small stallion I carry last December my neck never straight up till now cheesy

See how they're lifting bags of rice as if na woman dem dey rise go bed

These are Bags of Paddys, not the Rice you buy in the Market. undecided
Re: Nigeria’s Iconic Rice Paddy Pyramids To Be Evacuated Tomorrow by smallsmall: 2:46am On Jan 27, 2022
tragergeorge:

Hey bro,If not for the local production of rice,we for de pay reach 60k for rice now for 50kg of rice really

Google is free, you can find out how much a bag of Rice cost in Thailand or Malaysia or any other Rice producing nation.
Even the landing cost of long grain, Parboiled Rice to Nigeria is not more than #3,000
but in other to keep making money for his Northern brothers, Buhari shut the Southern Borders to Rice importation just to benefit Northerners, same way Dangotte was given a waiver to keep importing and exporting, throughout the period Borders in Southern Nigeria were tightly closed.

Go to Niger Border and see how trailers of Rice comes into Nigeria unhindered, only to be re-baged as local Rice and sold at #36,000 down South to Southerners. Northern Borders were never closed, weapons, Food, Clothings are coming in while export of Animal Skins, Petrol and gold are going on unhindered.
Funny thing is that most of the so-called "educated" Southerners have no clue about what is going on and they are the same ones even defending the genocide of Northerners on them!
angry angry
Re: Nigeria’s Iconic Rice Paddy Pyramids To Be Evacuated Tomorrow by Microwhy: 3:06am On Jan 27, 2022
naijaboy756:

Guy take it easy on this..
Yesterday I just commissioned Rice mill boiler I installed.
Last week, I commissioned the process plant (Parboiling and cleaning) including its automation (Rockwell PLC). The Milling section is also ready with few instrument terminations. The environment where the rice mill is situated has more than 15 rice mills within a close proximity and most of them with 100% capacity expansion plan. Some have started while some are set to.
The rice revolution is real and while the north and Indians are keying and investing heavily in rice mill, the south keep whirling.
I am not with Mr President on most of his economical policies but on this rice revolution, he has 100% backing and blessing of most Nigerian rice farmers and rice processing investors.
A Indian colleague/friend is always furious about how expensive rice is in Nigeria even with the low quality paddy our farmers cultivate. but I know we will get there soon. When GSM communication came, we all know how we pay through our nose Nokia 3310 is only for the rich. MTN simcard cost 40k+ including MTel and Econet but now, Simcard is almost free with per second billing and extremely affordable data plans.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s Iconic Rice Paddy Pyramids To Be Evacuated Tomorrow by wwwmaster: 3:23am On Jan 27, 2022
Areaboy2:
Political jamboree.
Tells a lot about the usefulness of the old ragged politicians we have in this country.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

President Buhari's Message To Nigerians On 2023 Elections / NSCDC Officer Joins In Looting Of Palliatives / Shekau’s ‘death’, Credit To Jonathan’s Govt. DAILY TIMES.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 105
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.