Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,203 members, 7,811,544 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 02:17 PM

Killer Mechanics - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Killer Mechanics (3250 Views)

6 Ways To Avoid Being Ripped Off By Nigerian Mechanics / Beware Of Fradulent Mechanics / Some Mechanics Cannot Make Heaven - Read AIT's Presenter Ordeal With A Mechanic (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Killer Mechanics by Kashif(m): 8:42am On Jan 28, 2022
So my brother called me to say that his Camry transmission was having issues - erratic shifts, bla bla bla. Mechanic was saying there's something they needed to bring out from the gear and wash (strainer).

Well, after a few questions, I understood the main issue the gear had was consistently high shift point when hot. I explained that high shift point in a modern auto has nothing to do with the gear itself. It has to be external.

I asked if any recent work was done on the car and he said yes - the radiator was replaced. Then I received a shocker: "my mechanic said it is wrong to connect the gear hose to the radiator, so he bypassed it". I asked him to repeat that again in case I misheard, and he did. I asked what the mechanic did with the hose, he said it was connected back to the gear! So what happened to the radiator atf ports? He didn't know.

The mechanic sounded so convincing that after I told my brother his mechanic was wrong, he initially said he would look for a similar car to compare. grin. You can imagine these mechanics!

After the correction was made and atf topped up, the gear came back to normal. I wonder how he came about that in the first place.

I remember many years ago (in the days of Peugeot 504 Station wagon) when I took our vehicle to the mechanic to complain about a slight hammar noise at the front when brakes were applied. When I came back to pick the car and started driving off, I applied brakes and noticed it was barely effective. I got down to complain; that was when I noticed the dimwit applied grease on the front rotors! shocked shocked

Some 'mechanics' have no business with screwdrivers!

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Killer Mechanics by dawnomike(m): 8:50am On Jan 28, 2022
Kashif:
So my brother called me to say that his Camry transmission was having issues - erratic shifts, bla bla bla. Mechanic was saying there's something they needed to bring out from the gear and wash (strainer).

Well, after a few questions, I understood the main issue the gear had was consistently high shift point when hot. I explained that high shift point in a modern auto has nothing to do with the gear itself. It has to be external.

I asked if any recent work was done on the car and he said yes - the radiator was replaced. Then I received a shocker: "my mechanic said it is wrong to connect the gear hose to the radiator, so he bypassed it". I asked him to repeat that again in case I misheard, and he did. I asked what the mechanic did with the hose, he said it was connected back to the gear! So what happened to the radiator atf ports? He didn't know.

The mechanic sounded so convincing that after I told my brother his mechanic was wrong, he initially said he would look for a similar car to compare. grin. You can imagine these mechanics!

After the correction was made and atf topped up, the gear came back to normal. I wonder how he came about that in the first place.

I remember many years ago (in the days of Peugeot 504 Station wagon) when I took our vehicle to the mechanic to complain about a slight hammar noise at the front when brakes were applied. When I came back to pick the car and started driving off, I applied brakes and noticed it was barely effective. I got down to complain; that was when I noticed the dimwit applied grease on the front rotors! shocked shocked

So many of them are quacks...

2 Likes

Re: Killer Mechanics by Skyfornia(m): 10:16am On Jan 28, 2022
Kashif:

It is scary to think one will use a huge sum of money to purchase a car, and a mechanic will carelessly 'finish' the car

6 Likes

Re: Killer Mechanics by GAZZUZZ(m): 10:37am On Jan 28, 2022
Kashif:

in 2022? shocked

3 Likes

Re: Killer Mechanics by proclinician: 10:40am On Jan 28, 2022
Scary

Ordinary serpentine belt, person don condemn my AC compressor. I don package money to buy new one but say make i ask google fes my symptoms. Voila!, na belt. I jut go buy catfish peppersoup and origin with the money enjoy small.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Killer Mechanics by eherbal(m): 9:31am On Jan 29, 2022
Kashif:

just yesterday while looking over a colleagues Honda baby boy,I noticed the sound of the engine was 'off'. I decided ti scan with my scanner. The air fuel ratio sensor and the down stream sensors where not responding. It was static at zero. I was shocked! shocked
I opened the hood to confirm my fears. The upstream sensor (air/fuel ratio) has been disconnected! I'm sure the down stream was disconnected too. Fortunately, the mechanic that worked on it was passing by. My colleague asked him why the sensor was disconnected?his response was legendary. He said since the fan was faulty, the o2 sensor was the culprit, and he had to disconnect it and connect the fan male to the o2 sensor female connector. Jesus is lord! I blasted him seriously. I was livid with rage. Even the air filter has never been cleaned. The car has been asphyxiating and guzzling fuel all this while,hence the bad sound and terrible gas mileage.

6 Likes

Re: Killer Mechanics by emmyN(m): 11:27am On Jan 29, 2022
Apart from the presence of quacks, most of them are wicked and are involved in deliberate sabotage so you keep coming back.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Killer Mechanics by chukel(m): 11:42am On Jan 29, 2022
eherbal:
just yesterday while looking over a colleagues Honda baby boy,I noticed the sound of the engine was 'off'. I decided ti scan with my scanner. The air fuel ratio sensor and the down stream sensors where not responding. It was static at zero. I was shocked! shocked
I opened the hood to confirm my fears. The upstream sensor (air/fuel ratio) has been disconnected! I'm sure the down stream was disconnected too. Fortunately, the mechanic that worked on it was passing by. My colleague asked him why the sensor was disconnected?his response was legendary. He said since the fan was faulty, the o2 sensor was the culprit, and he had to disconnect it and connect the fan male to the o2 sensor female connector. Jesus is lord! I blasted him seriously. I was livid with rage. Even the air filter has never been cleaned. The car has been asphyxiating and guzzling fuel all this while,hence the bad sound and terrible gas mileage.
i literally just died and woke up

1 Like

Re: Killer Mechanics by chukel(m): 11:44am On Jan 29, 2022
In all these cases, i just dont blame the evil mechanics alone, but the car owners who do not want to know anything about their cars aside driving them. Internet is free. There is no knowledge/information you can't get online.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Killer Mechanics by buygala(m): 12:20pm On Jan 29, 2022
As much as there are devilish mechanics, there are geniuses among them, not very literate as they might be.....so no need generalising...

It's the same in every profession. ...quacks and men wey sabi go always dey inside...some.of these illiterate kazeems are a thousand times better than our scanner-wielding, English speaking, Google mechanics. ..Nothing beats years of experience and an ability to come up with on-the-spot solutions. ..

Come to think of it sef, these our new-gen internet Mechanics learnt the trade at the feet of these kazeems we are so fast to demonizesad .....The only difference between them and their illiterate bosses is that they package themselves with Blue Apron, Autel scanner and one fairly used ipad, small Ojuelegba English, office AC, and bill their clients like kidnappers....Small play their invoice don reach 500k angry ....Oga Google Mechanic, na my moto heater no work o....I no kill pesin sad

Just like in everything else, be sure of a professional's expertise before entrusting your vehicle to him or her so that one ekuke no go use your motor practice madness...Also know that your mech having a scanner, AC in his waiting room, and speaks Queen's English and bills you like a SARS officer doesn't guarantee he knows what he is doing. ...it also doesn't mean you can't get the job done somewhere else for much less and even better. ..

Even sef, some of the people criticising mechanics here might be the quacks in their profession. ...The kind of people who are a shining example of what people in their profession shouldn't be

Make una rest abeg

14 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Killer Mechanics by aieromon(m): 5:56pm On Jan 29, 2022
buygala:

some.of these illiterate kazeems are a thousand times better than our scanner-wielding, English speaking, Google mechanics. ..Nothing beats years of experience and an ability to come up with on-the-spot solutions. ..

Come to think of it sef, these our new-gen internet Mechanics learnt the trade at the feet of these kazeems we are so fast to demonizesad .....The only difference between them and their illiterate bosses is that they package themselves with Blue Apron, Autel scanner and one fairly used ipad, small Ojuelegba English, office AC, and bill their clients like kidnappers....Small play their invoice don reach 500k angry ....Oga Google Mechanic, na my moto heater no work o....I no kill pesin sad

Make una rest abeg

shocked

3 Likes

Re: Killer Mechanics by Kashif(m): 9:45pm On Jan 29, 2022
emmyN:
Apart from the presence of quacks, most of them are wicked and are involved in deliberate sabotage so you keep coming back.

I have seen a few like that

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Killer Mechanics by emmyN(m): 9:56pm On Jan 29, 2022
Kashif:

I have seen a few like that

Few? Bro, I once worked in an auto shop for six months. I saw things.

2 Likes

Re: Killer Mechanics by Kashif(m): 10:03pm On Jan 29, 2022
chukel:
In all these cases, i just dont blame the evil mechanics alone, but the car owners who do not want to know anything about their cars aside driving them. Internet is free. There is no knowledge/information you can't get online.

In as much as most mechanics shouldn't be in that space, I really don't think customers should be involved in his own service delivery. That erodes value. If that is the case then we should all learn human anatomy to support our doctors. Pick some legal lessons to weigh our lawyers. I think it's better to seek the qualified service man and be prepared to pay them.

There are people who can't even replace light bulbs in their homes. Are they now expected to have ideas about modern automobile? If we can fine, but shouldn't be frown at if we can't.

8 Likes

Re: Killer Mechanics by Kashif(m): 10:19pm On Jan 29, 2022
buygala:
As much as there are devilish mechanics, there are geniuses among them, not very literate as they might be.....so no need generalising...

It's the same in every profession. ...quacks and men wey sabi go always dey inside...some.of these illiterate kazeems are a thousand times better than our scanner-wielding, English speaking, Google mechanics. ..Nothing beats years of experience and an ability to come up with on-the-spot solutions. ..

Just like in everything else, be sure of a professional's expertise before entrusting your vehicle to him or her so that one ekuke no go use your motor practice madness...Also know that your mech having a scanner, AC in his waiting room, and speaks Queen's English and bills you like a SARS officer doesn't guarantee he knows what he is doing. ...it also doesn't mean you can't get the job done somewhere else for much less and even better. ..

Even sef, some of the people criticising mechanics here might be the quacks in their profession. ...The kind of people who are a shining example of what people in their profession shouldn't be

Make una rest abeg

I agree with a lot of what you have said, but the point is this - there is a difference between principles and methods. You can deploy a defective method, but going against principles is sacrilege. I mean, how can a mechanic condemn the cooling of a transmission? How can a mechanic apply grease on a brake disc to stop a noise? Totally inconcievable.

My AC was recently fixed by an educated tech with a 350k Samsung phone in hand. After the AC failed one week later, it was discovered that alaye used super glue to repair a leaking condenser! Killer mechanic (or any artisan for that matter) can come from either side of the educational divide.

3 Likes

Re: Killer Mechanics by buygala(m): 5:44am On Jan 30, 2022
Kashif:

I agree with a lot of what you have said, but the point is this - there is a difference between principles and methods. You can deploy a defective method, but going against principles is sacrilege. I mean, how can a mechanic condemn the cooling of a transmission? How can a mechanic apply grease on a brake disc to stop a noise? Totally inconcievable.

My AC was recently fixed by an educated tech with a 350k Samsung phone in hand. After the AC failed one week later, it was discovered that alaye used super glue to repair a leaking condenser! [/b]Killer mechanic (or any artisan for that matter) can come from either side of the educational divide[b].

@ bolded. ....Bull's eye Sir smiley

I drive a Honda 2010 Accord v6...And there was a time the VCM was misbehaving. ...Na one Fulani Baba for Akwanga fix am....For less than 10k...Almost a year on, Engine has been perfect. ...The same VCM that some Google mechanics will rather disable or charge a kidney to try fixing...

Best thing though is to try to avoid mechanics of any kind as much a possible. ..so far i have avoided mechanics for the past 5 months. ...I am really hoping to push that period to a year...aside oil changes twice a year of course...Because even the best among them sometimes leave your car with a new problem after fixing an old one .....Not to talks about their absolute disregard for my car's paint...I have had to deal with new dents after a visit to the mechanic. ..Somehow their spanners find a way to leave a scar or two on the car's body...

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Killer Mechanics by Kashif(m): 9:52am On Jan 30, 2022
GAZZUZZ:

in 2022? shocked

No be small thing. I think it's high time some of you came together and setup an academy cheesy

1 Like

Re: Killer Mechanics by Jazzlite: 10:13am On Jan 30, 2022
Kashif:

No be small thing. I think it's high time some of you came together and setup an aca.demy cheesy
Killer mechanics like bandits escape from such academies as the later from security agencies

1 Like

Re: Killer Mechanics by chukel(m): 11:59am On Jan 30, 2022
Kashif:

In as much as most mechanics shouldn't be in that space, I really don't think customers should be involved in his own service delivery. That erodes value. If that is the case then we should all learn human anatomy to support our doctors. Pick some legal lessons to weigh our lawyers. I think it's better to seek the qualified service man and be prepared to pay them.

There are people who can't even replace light bulbs in their homes. Are they now expected to have ideas about modern automobile? If we can fine, but shouldn't be frown at if we can't.
i don't totally agree with you. One should have atleast the basic understanding of what he uses daily. Because you are not a doctor doesn't mean you shouldn't know safe practices that will ensure good and sound health. You are not a lawyer doesn't mean you shouldn't know basic things that should keep you away from crime. All I'm saying is that if you are a car owner and you do not know basic things about how your car runs and what is healthy for the car in this era of internet, then you deserve whatever the quack mechanics do. Kashif, your knowledge of transmission, I'm very sure the basics were learnt online.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Killer Mechanics by chukel(m): 12:01pm On Jan 30, 2022
buygala:

I drive a Honda 2010 Accord v6...And there was a time the VCM was misbehaving. ...Na one Fulani Baba for Akwanga fix am....For less than 10k...Almost a year on, Engine has been perfect. ...The same VCM that some Google mechanics will rather disable or charge a kidney to try fixing...

Best thing though is to try to avoid mechanics of any kind as much a possible. ..so far i have avoided mechanics for the past 5 months. ...I am really hoping to push that period to a year...aside oil changes twice a year of course...Because even the best among them sometimes leave your car with a new problem after fixing an old one .....Not to talks about their absolute disregard for my car's paint...I have had to deal with new dents after a visit to the mechanic. ..Somehow their spanners find a way to leave a scar or two on the car's body...
na this one de pain me pass.

1 Like

Re: Killer Mechanics by buygala(m): 7:04pm On Jan 30, 2022
chukel:
na this one de pain me pass.

It's total chaos out there Sir grin

I asked this rewire to fix my driver window that was winding askew....When he finished the fix, he had broken 4 clips that hold the interior door panel to the door. ...clips that I had to replace at 500 naira per one sad

Then one other mech left a deep gash in my fender while fixing my car's suspension...na cry I no cry

Then I went to this car wash and noticed the guys there using iron bucket ...One small iron bucket was even resting on the bonnet of one poor customer's GLK cry ....I imagined the kind of havoc those iron buckets would do if they came in contact with my car paint ....na so I Japa comot there...Now I wash my car myself once a week on Sunday evenings..I am not yet too big to wash my own property

These artisans mostly don't give a shit...They are always in a hurry and if one isn't careful, they will damage one's property ...When one tries to correct them, they look at him strangely as if to say "wetin dey worry this brother?....abi na im be the 1st pesin to buy moto?" undecided

11 Likes

Re: Killer Mechanics by skywalker240(m): 1:42am On Jan 31, 2022
grin

2 Likes

Re: Killer Mechanics by udemzyudex(m): 12:23pm On Jan 31, 2022
It is base on the way they were taught,no theory just some instructions on how to fix the car when a particular issue occurs.

Like do this,do that, Troubleshoot within this area to diagnose it and see if the problem will stop.

This is why most of them spend over 5 years learning and still end up not understanding how some things work.
One need to understand the principles of how a particular section work, with this knowledge it will be easier to diagonise problem without doing unnecessary guess work.

Most of them have have also failed to upgrade their knowledge,you hardly see them enroll in programs or even buy the latest tool to make the job easy.

Practical knowledge without theory or theory without practical knowledge is bad.

Whether you're an educated mechanic or kazeem , if you lack the two,at some point you will end up doing trial and error.

3 Likes

Re: Killer Mechanics by OGjason: 4:54pm On Jan 31, 2022
Good day bro... Do u mean this.. it has been like this since I bought the car 11months ago. Mechanic advised I leave it that way. Since I don't really know the history of the car.

Kashif:

Re: Killer Mechanics by OGjason: 4:57pm On Jan 31, 2022
Good day Bros. Abeg I have this same thing bypassed in my spider, bought this car 11months ago as a Nigerian used. I tried to revert it the normal way but mechanic advised i shud leave it that way to avoid issues. And I dey fear 13pin wahala. Gear shows torque converter code.

Kashif:

Re: Killer Mechanics by Peppermintflav: 5:37pm On Jan 31, 2022
OGjason:
Good day Bros. Abeg I have this same thing bypassed in my spider, bought this car 11months ago as a Nigerian used. I tried to revert it the normal way but mechanic advised i shud leave it that way to avoid issues. And I dey fear 13pin wahala. Gear shows torque converter code.

Na wa oo!! These kazeems go kill person!!
I will suggest you revert it. But b4 you do make sure that the pipes where they are connected on the radiator are through. Blow air through one side and check if it comes out the other end.
Re: Killer Mechanics by Cloven22: 1:47am On Feb 03, 2022
buygala:

You know you can't exactly keep putting off visiting the mechanic. If you can get a good mechanic that will put your mind at rest. There's this great platform you can try... Flickwheel. You can get vetted mechanics as well as loans to fix your car sef if you need that
Re: Killer Mechanics by Hedgefunds: 6:06am On Feb 05, 2022
Kashif:

Hello similar things happened to me. There was oil in the radiator, the mechanic took out the radiator to a car wash to flush out the oil then bypassing the gear box oil back without going into the normal radiator nosle .

Should I ask him to come and correct it.?
Re: Killer Mechanics by Kingdemu: 8:58am On Feb 05, 2022
Hedgefunds:

Hello similar things happened to me. There was oil in the radiator, the mechanic took out the radiator to a car wash to flush out the oil then bypassing the gear box oil back without going into the normal radiator nosle .

No, ask him to also come and bypass the connection of the radiator to the engine itself.
Re: Killer Mechanics by Peppermintflav: 1:28pm On Feb 05, 2022
Hedgefunds:

It means there is a small leakage in the gear cooler section in the radiator. This might mean changing the radiator, b4 connecting it back if not the oil will still mix if connected back to the same radiator.

2 Likes

Re: Killer Mechanics by Hedgefunds: 3:11pm On Feb 05, 2022
Peppermintflav:

It means there is a small leakage in the gear cooler section in the radiator. This might mean changing the radiator, b4 connecting it back if not the oil will still mix if connected back to the same radiator.

Thank you. What do you suggest? Can it be fixed?
Re: Killer Mechanics by Jazzlite: 4:09pm On Feb 05, 2022
Hedgefunds:

Thank you. What do you suggest? Can it be fixed?
Buy a brand new radiator.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Advice On Uber / Golf 4 Vs Primera P11-144 / Battery/alternator Problems: Help!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 118
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.