Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,909 members, 7,814,074 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 05:39 AM

No Wonder Its Fondly Called Uniyonu(unilorin) - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / No Wonder Its Fondly Called Uniyonu(unilorin) (2215 Views)

Words Fondly Used By Nigerians That Are Not In The Dictionary / Latest University Rankings: UNILORIN Tops As OAU & UI Drop Down / Wonder Twins Head For High School Aged Nine (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

No Wonder Its Fondly Called Uniyonu(unilorin) by Yaungdee(m): 7:59pm On Jun 21, 2011
While i waited for d admission lists of uniyonu as its fondly called, cos i had already sat for jamb dat year and i was lucky to be above d cutoff and God so good i made my postume above cutoff mark, but my happiness soon faded away when i couldnt find my name on d first, second and d last list and i felt like my world was coming to an end, but still summoned courage when a student of the school who is also a friend came to me and told me about the remedials, and i said to myself, dz is my opportunity to leave home and atleast i can be scarce for sometime. Neva knew d latter is even gonna be worse dan the former, i woke up dat early morning went straight to ma bank and withdrew six thousand naira cos i learnt d form will be costing five thousand and i will also be paying 250 naira for d sevice dat will be rendered by d bank which i did as stated above, dat very day i was so elated cos i believed or maybe i should say thought dat i will be admitted into d predegree programme, but it was a sad day for me when d list of d remedials did came came out and couldnt find my name on d list again, i was destabilised, i was discouraged, i couldn eat but d worms in ma stomach wont stop asking for food, while i sat on the couch with uncontrollable tears keep running from my eyes the thought of sleepless nights and numbers of candles burnt wasnt absent from my mind, i depended much on uniyonu dat i didnt even go for d 2 polytechnics exam cos av got no interest in poly, altho ma second university was a waste neva knew its bin operated like private uni if not for these i guess i mite be lucky to get admitted in my second choice but luck was not on ma side as d school fees was unbearable so i was unable to sit for the skul postume, and i was like where am i gonna start from, what am gonna i do but thank God today i am a man of much strength and courage and i believe dat am gonna get admitted this year cos am not gonna give up or relent, why not tell your story and learn form this[color=Black][/color]
Re: No Wonder Its Fondly Called Uniyonu(unilorin) by Johnsinia(m): 8:31pm On Jun 21, 2011
This is my 1st time i wil be applyin to unilorin,i am nt frm d catchmt areas.i wil get admission to unilorin whether i make the cutoff mark or nt b/c i know 4 sure that the God i serve will work it out 4 me.admissn is nt whether u are frm the catchmt zones or scoring abve mark but it is devine.my God(the GOD of chosen) will give me devine admissn this year into unilorin.So i employ u to call on him too
Re: No Wonder Its Fondly Called Uniyonu(unilorin) by Nnajohn06: 6:12pm On Jun 22, 2011
@yaungdee ur story is sympathetic one. Mine is closely related to urs. I first wrote jamb in d yr 2009 scoring 211 and 60(pume) which automatically qualifies me express admission, only to check the admission list and realise i was fooling around when i said i was awaiting the list. Due to my fervent love 4 unilorin, the thought of taking poly jamb was distanced 4rum my mind, making me forfeit all chance going to higher institution dat year. That wasn't more of a disappointment as it was owing to the fact that i foolishly put my entire reliace on unilorin making no plan for an alternative. I pulled through the trauma and was back on track hoping that my brain was still capable of helping me pass 2010 jamb as i am not the type the has the urge to attend coaching centres, fortunately i made huge success in jamb that yr which surpassed the previous one, scoring 235 and 60% in post utme again and i was persuaded by my arrogant broda to choose unilorin for both choices, only to check the 1st, 2nd, supplementary 1 & 2, and combined lists to realise my name was no where near the lists, the one i tag "the greatest disappointment of my life", i wept fervently, tears streaming down my cheeks like the waters of OWU FALL. Whether the devil likes it or not i must and have already gained admission to study mass communication in unilorin this year in Jesus name. Amen! the trauma and was back on track hoping that my brain was still capable of helping me pass 2010 jamb as i am not the type the has the urge to attend coaching centres, fortunately i made huge success in jamb that yr which surpassed the previous one, scoring 235 and 60% in post utme again and i was persuaded by my arrogant broda to choose unilorin for both choices, only to check the 1st, 2nd, supplementary 1 & 2, and combined lists to realise my name was no where near the lists, the one i tag "the greatest disappointment of my life", i wept fervently, tears streaming down my cheeks like the waters of OWU FALL. Whether the devil likes it or not i must and have already gained admission to study mass communication in unilorin this year in Jesus name. Amen!
Re: No Wonder Its Fondly Called Uniyonu(unilorin) by Yaungdee(m): 7:47pm On Jun 22, 2011
Since we are determined and focused not leaving prayer out i believe dz year God will make a way where dere seems to be no way but trust me, me no try do mistake choose ilorin o na oau and unad i choose.
Re: No Wonder Its Fondly Called Uniyonu(unilorin) by Nnajohn06: 7:55pm On Jun 22, 2011
@yaungdee, pls which of the institutions u chose accept 2nd choice, i wanna change my 2nd 4rum uniport.
Re: No Wonder Its Fondly Called Uniyonu(unilorin) by oladayo042: 8:29pm On Jun 22, 2011
I salute your tenacity. I must say your posts have made words superflous but I just have to clarify some issues here.

No marks in UTME and Post-UTME qualifies you for "express admission" as hinted by Nnajohn06. When so many people passed well and the school does not have the capacity to admit them, it is sure some people with high scores will be left unadmitted. You are not returned elected President of Nigeria by scoring the highest vote in the presidential election alone until you have at least 25% of votes in 24 states(two-third) of the federation.

So many things, other than UTME and Post-UTME, are considered for admission among which is your O' level results. If your O' level result does not qualify for your desired course, no score in UTME and Post-UTME can get you admitted. I will advise anybody to check this before selecting any course.

@Yaungdee
The remedial instructions Terms and Conditions never said you will be selected into the programme by simply purchasing the form. Prospective apllicants far outnumber the available facilities and it became necessary to screen out some apllicants of which you are unfortunately among. I'm sure you dont want to get selected into remedial to take lectures in rowdy classes and receive lectures standing from the beginning of the semester till the end. UNILORIN will never be operated like one of the UNAD's of this world where you have over 500 students in a department (apologies to UNADites).

Clear the notion of "UNIYONU" off your mind now or else you may find yourself in UNILORIN later and find it to be hard because of your preconceived notion.

@Nnajohn06
Mass Comm. admitted 26? students last session but the dept is ready to expand as they moved to the building just built for them and that can make the number of students to be admitted this coming session triple (if not more). You stand a good chance of being admitted. If you want to study Mass Comm., you better have the passion for it. They produced a quality newspaper last session and every student is pushed to the wall to put the theory into practice.

Have a nice day.
Re: No Wonder Its Fondly Called Uniyonu(unilorin) by honeric01(m): 8:41pm On Jun 22, 2011
I heard the way they do their admission is by

1: The Locals
2: The Yorubas
3: All other tribes.
Re: No Wonder Its Fondly Called Uniyonu(unilorin) by oladayo042: 9:49pm On Jun 22, 2011
^^^^^^^
Thanks God you said you heard. Admitting students that way will be an insult to the academic community. Which university will you go in Nigeria where you will not find the local tribe dominating?
Re: No Wonder Its Fondly Called Uniyonu(unilorin) by honeric01(m): 10:08pm On Jun 22, 2011
^^^^

Well your response did not debunk what i heard, so it means it's true, no matter how qualified those on the no 2 and 3 are, they still won't be admitted until those on the no 1 get in even if their results is below those on no 2 and 3.
Re: No Wonder Its Fondly Called Uniyonu(unilorin) by oladayo042: 11:06pm On Jun 22, 2011
^^^^^^^
You are commiting the same error people commit when they say "UNILORIN admit Kwarans before considering other states". The example below should solve the puzzle.

If 80% of those who did the Post-UTME exam of UIL are Kwarans (or Yoruba's) and the admission list came out with 80% Kwarans (or Yoruba's), people will care less about the former and they will be more concerned about the latter. They wrongly conclude that the university love Yoruba than other tribes.

This is how it happens in every university in Nigeria. Give me a university where it does not? The reason why Yoruba's dominate UIL is not because they love Yoruba than other tribes but because Yoruba's applied more than other tribes (common sense dictates the same). What you heard can never be farther from the truth.
Re: No Wonder Its Fondly Called Uniyonu(unilorin) by honeric01(m): 12:16am On Jun 23, 2011
^^^^

Thank God you said "IF", so where did you get the percentage from? undecided i can authoritatively tell you that i know a handful of other tribes who chose Unilorin as their 1st choice but didn't get admitted, not even 1.

Mind you, my elder brother's wife graduated from that school and someone very close to me is also in that school, they both testified on what i heard to be true. (they are both Yoruba)
Re: No Wonder Its Fondly Called Uniyonu(unilorin) by oladayo042: 11:16am On Jun 23, 2011
honeric01:

^^^^

Thank God you said "IF", so where did you get the percentage from? undecided i can authoritatively tell you that i know a handful of other tribes who chose Unilorin as their 1st choice but didn't get admitted, not even 1.

Mind you, my elder brother's wife graduated from that school and someone very close to me is also in that school, they both testified on what i heard to be true. (they are both Yoruba)
I am just giving an illustration by that percentage but my argument still holds. If majority of the applicants are Yorubas, people should not be annoyed if they found that the majority of students admitted are Yorubas since intelligence is not a monopoly of any tribe. 73,392 students jostle for admission into UIL last session to show that your 'handful' is just a minute minority.

My point is: The fact that some people you know from other tribes did not get admitted does not mean people from those tribe does not get admitted into UIL. So many factors might have connived to make those you know not to be admitted. Yorubas dominate the school but they did not do so because they were treated preferentially but because they constitute the bulk of applicants as dictated by common sense (UIL is in a Yoruba community).

Your elder brother's wife being an alumni does not make her all-knowing about UIL admissions. I believe she talk from what she witnessed in the school and not what is the rule.

If I may ask: How does UNILORIN decide who is Yoruba and who is not if you are so sure of your claim?

Yoruba = Anybody that comes with a state of origin certificate from the Southwest (be it Ikechukwu Uche or Rabiu Kwankwaso)?
Yoruba = Anybody with a Yoruba name (be it Olusegun Aganga from Edo state)?
Yoruba = ??

Thank God we have a witness on the thread. I can invite more people to tell their stories on this thread but I know it will never change your preconceived notion about UIL.
Re: No Wonder Its Fondly Called Uniyonu(unilorin) by honeric01(m): 11:38am On Jun 23, 2011
oladayo042:

I am just giving an illustration by that percentage but my argument still holds. If majority of the applicants are Yorubas, people should not be annoyed if they found that the majority of students admitted are Yorubas since intelligence is not a monopoly of any tribe. 73,392 students jostle for admission into UIL last session to show that your 'handful' is just a minute minority.

My point is: The fact that some people you know from other tribes did not get admitted does not mean people from those tribe does not get admitted into UIL. So many factors might have connived to make those you know not to be admitted. Yorubas dominate the school but they did not do so because they were treated preferentially but because they constitute the bulk of applicants as dictated by common sense (UIL is in a Yoruba community).

Your elder brother's wife being an alumni does not make her all-knowing about UIL admissions. I believe she talk from what she witnessed in the school and not what is the rule.

If I may ask: How does UNILORIN decide who is Yoruba and who is not if you are so sure of your claim?

Yoruba = Anybody that comes with a state of origin certificate from the Southwest (be it Ikechukwu Uche or Rabiu Kwankwaso)?
Yoruba = Anybody with a Yoruba name (be it Olusegun Aganga from Edo state)?
Yoruba = ??

Thank God we have a witness on the thread. I can invite more people to tell their stories on this thread but I know it will never change your preconceived notion about UIL.

I am not here to argue with you, you have your opinion and i have my opinion, can you please respect that?
I never said my bro's wife is all knowing, i only said you confirmed what i just said, she noticed it and its not like she heard it, she was in the system, she also helped people into that school hence she was close to the admission department.

Secondly the other person i told you about also said the same thing.

Lastly, an Ilorin name can surely be known through where you did your primary and secondary education and also through where you wrote your GEC or SSCE so that logic you highlighted does not hold water.

All in all, what i said about Unilorin is not false and remains true until you prove to me that its not like this.

1: Locals first
2: Yoruba second
3: Any other tribes.

Thank you.
Re: No Wonder Its Fondly Called Uniyonu(unilorin) by oladayo042: 12:01pm On Jun 23, 2011
I am not here to argue either.

Lastly, an Ilorin name can surely be known through where you did your primary and secondary education and also through where you wrote your GEC or SSCE so that logic you highlighted does not hold water.
If my parents are from Kwara but live in Bayelsa where I had all of my education up to SSCE, can't I lay claim to being a Kwaran? There is nothing like an Ilorin name, to me anyway.

Good luck with your opinion though. Thank you and have a nice day.
Re: No Wonder Its Fondly Called Uniyonu(unilorin) by samquad(m): 12:26pm On Jun 23, 2011
@oladayo, why did you have to argue with him? you have told him the basic truth and he refused to listen. i am also a student of unilorin and i totally support you. let him choose another school where they wont consider the criteria. i can confirm it to you that out of 150 students in my class,kwarans are not more than 80, others are from other parts of the country. maybe he expect yorubas to be much in UNN. if you dont like the arrangement, go to other school. abi na by force?
Re: No Wonder Its Fondly Called Uniyonu(unilorin) by Nobody: 2:55pm On Jun 23, 2011
Probitas doctrinas! Better by far university.it is a blind arguement if u kip on saying unilorin are not TRIBALISTIC but i thank God they're hearing wot people are saying abt them nd i can sense that dis year admissn is going to make a change. After finishing 4rm sec 2009,i tot all admissn calamity will end dis year when i obtained UL remedial form nt knwing that they are ready to add to my injury but i thank God 4 my belief,though it pains me to d highest level but i'm d type dat dn't surrenda nor give up easily i'm still on d race to secure my admsn into d best univ in Nigeria dis year by God grace.i jst pray d jamb result cums out nd be at my side then i wil knw how to handle d post utme wit an iron hand.take it or leave it 95% of wot u aspire do cum to reality so stop saying unilorin are tribalistic, be couragerous nd av it in mind dat dis year admsn must nt pass u by. As 4 me i'm going to give it all it takes to gain admsn into unilorin dis year afterall dey r to admit students nd nt goats irrespective of dia catchment.i believe unilorin is d best nd i'm ready 4 d best jst as an adage says that notin gud comes easily.
Re: No Wonder Its Fondly Called Uniyonu(unilorin) by honeric01(m): 3:54pm On Jun 23, 2011
oladayo042:

I am not here to argue either.
If my parents are from Kwara but live in Bayelsa where I had all of my education up to SSCE, can't I lay claim to being a Kwaran? There is nothing like an Ilorin name, to me anyway.

Good luck with your opinion though. Thank you and have a nice day.

I meant to saw Kwaran name and not Ilorin name, yes there's a way you know a Kwaran name, when i said local, i meant to say you must have lived in Kwara and schooled in Kwara to be considered Local, if you're not a Kwaran but did your schooling there, you're also considered a Kwaran, followed by you being Yoruba and then any other tribes. That's my point and yours hasn't changed it.

Neyoor:

Probitas doctrinas! Better by far university.it is a blind arguement if u kip on saying unilorin are not TRIBALISTIC but i thank God they're hearing wot people are saying abt them nd i can sense that dis year admissn is going to make a change. After finishing 4rm sec 2009,i tot all admissn calamity will end dis year when i obtained UL remedial form nt knwing that they are ready to add to my injury but i thank God 4 my belief,though it pains me to d highest level but i'm d type dat dn't surrenda nor give up easily i'm still on d race to secure my admsn into d best univ in Nigeria dis year by God grace.i jst pray d jamb result cums out nd be at my side then i wil knw how to handle d post utme wit an iron hand.take it or leave it 95% of wot u aspire do precipitate to reality so stop saying unilorin are tribalistic, be couragerous nd av it in mind dat dis year admsn must nt pass u by. As 4 me i'm going to give it all it takes to gain admsn into unilorin dis year afterall dey r to admit students nd nt goats irrespective of dia catchment.i believe unilorin is d best nd i'm ready 4 d best jst as an adage says that notin gud comes easily.

When i thought i was strange and alone.

Like i said, its what i heard from people who witnessed it and also there, so i am not in anyway wrong.
Re: No Wonder Its Fondly Called Uniyonu(unilorin) by samquad(m): 4:06pm On Jun 23, 2011
@honoric, instead of u to b findin way to enta d BETA BY FAR sch. U re here argueing an irrelevancy glarin technical fact. Wc university in Nig doesnt favour candidates 4rm its area? UI, OAU,ABU NSUKA. all receive more applicants 4rm dere area and dey admit more 4rm dere area. So wats d emphasis abt Unilorin. My advise 4 u if u choose unilorin, blief dat u wil be admited if u merit it and definitely u wil be admited. Pray to meet u in d BETA BY FAR
Re: No Wonder Its Fondly Called Uniyonu(unilorin) by honeric01(m): 4:22pm On Jun 23, 2011
^^^^

1st and foremost, my ID is honeric01 not honoric, next time look well before typing.

Secondly, who told you i am seeking admission? what makes you think i am not out of school already or currently in school?

Lastly, don't take this personal, seems you're taking it personal or does the school belong to you?

(1) (Reply)

The Ebonyi State Federal University Screening Results Will Be Out Very Soon. / Nigeria Universities With Only Two Professors. / Full List Of Courses Offered In UNIBEN

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.