Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,066 members, 7,828,775 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 01:56 PM

Is My Uncle The Problem Or His Wives? - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is My Uncle The Problem Or His Wives? (23689 Views)

See The Borehole I Am Doing For My Uncle...a Relief Indeed! / My Uncle Drove To My House To Report Me Because I Wore A Bikini–Nigerian Lady / See The Guava Tree My Uncle Warned Me Not To Pluck From (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is My Uncle The Problem Or His Wives? by Walkee: 9:49pm On Jan 28, 2022
Kobojunkie:
And I am telling you that the very same divorce process available in Nigeria to the rich among them is also available to the poor in the same Nigeria. undecided

You say the man was already done with the woman the moment he saw her in the restaurant, but that means absolutely nothing. So long as he is married to her, she can file marriage abandonment charges against him and have divorce processed that way. undecided

Choice to remain in marriage? According to the OP, the man abandoned the marriage and since it takes two to make a marriage, what rational is there in choosing to live as an abandoned spouse? These women ought to have had their divorce processed through the courts is what I posted there. undecided
what's the point? The moment she left the husband's house and he told her family he's done with the marriage she ceased to be his wife and she could remarry if she wants. Marriages in Nigeria are 99% religious /traditional. You don't need legal proceedings to dissolve it unless you are looking for material benefits which you will never get.
Re: Is My Uncle The Problem Or His Wives? by NOETHNICITY(m): 9:50pm On Jan 28, 2022
yuping:
undecided your uncle don't tolerate nonsense, as long as he is happy with is decision let him be.
I couldn't help but laugh hard by ur response
Re: Is My Uncle The Problem Or His Wives? by thinkmoney(m): 9:50pm On Jan 28, 2022
yuping:

Parent often hide under my children, the truth is if you are not mentally stable and happy you can't take care of kids. Peace of mind over everything, if you are causing pain to someone and expect the person to stay because of kid eventually the person is going to die young and still leave the kids behind. Peace of mind over everything jare.
Balance must be found. Sacrifices must be made. Compromise must be reached. Having issues with three women in a space of a short petiod of time point out that that man isn't getting those things right.

1 Like

Re: Is My Uncle The Problem Or His Wives? by NOETHNICITY(m): 9:51pm On Jan 28, 2022
Kobojunkie:
Obviously your uncle is the problem here. undecided

The other issue is the women he keeps engaging aren't educated on their rights as individuals even in marriage. If the first and second wife had processed the divorce from him in the courts as it should be, your uncle may have been forced to tackle maturity since then. undecided
Let us hear word mrs know ur right
Re: Is My Uncle The Problem Or His Wives? by Nobody: 9:52pm On Jan 28, 2022

1 Like

Re: Is My Uncle The Problem Or His Wives? by descartes400: 9:52pm On Jan 28, 2022
yuping:
I think someone like this already tell tell his wives about all this and also keep his side of agreement before and after marriage if he will feels Like the agreement have been breach he let's go.

Exactly!
Re: Is My Uncle The Problem Or His Wives? by Kobojunkie: 9:59pm On Jan 28, 2022
Ashirioluwa:
Our society and culture are forcing marriage on us without taking note that marriage is not for everyone.

Let your uncle enjoy his life
Society and culture forces marriage on individuals? So what you are saying is this man is an imbe-cile since he is moved by the general opinion of those in his community which is what makes up what is Society? undecided

1 Like

Re: Is My Uncle The Problem Or His Wives? by SoapQueen(f): 9:59pm On Jan 28, 2022
yuping:
undecided your uncle don't tolerate nonsense, as long as he is happy with is decision let him be.

And it's same reason he would go to his ancestors shriveled, lonely, and sad.

Saying Problem-monger doesn't tolerate nonsense is hilarious.

Lool.
Re: Is My Uncle The Problem Or His Wives? by Kobojunkie: 10:01pm On Jan 28, 2022
Walkee:
what's the point? The moment she left the husband's house and he told her family he's done with the marriage she ceased to be his wife and she could remarry if she wants. Marriages in Nigeria are 99% religious /traditional. You don't need legal proceedings to dissolve it unless you are looking for material benefits which you will never get.
The statement in bold is not true even in the Nigerian sense of the word marriage, this because most every marriage is registered and so long as one does not file formal divorce papers, the couple remains married by law. undecided

Even your 99% religious marriages are registered with the courts - there is a marriage registry where you register your marriage at even when you do traditional marriage. undecided

1 Like

Re: Is My Uncle The Problem Or His Wives? by Dreytonisback(m): 10:04pm On Jan 28, 2022
They're both wrong
Your uncle , his ex wives, his kinsmen , his family , you that is telling us here

You're all wrong ....

Lights up my kpoli in peace
Re: Is My Uncle The Problem Or His Wives? by Walkee: 10:08pm On Jan 28, 2022
Kobojunkie:
The statement in bold is not true even in the Nigerian sense of the word marriage, this because most every marriage is registered and so long as one does not file formal divorce papers, the couple remains married by law. undecided

Even your 99% religious marriages are registered with the courts - there is a marriage registry where you register your marriage at even when you do traditional marriage. undecided
none of my sisters that got married ever did any form of registry. In fact nobody I I know has ever done that. Once bride price is paid here in Edo state you are 100% fully married. Traditional wedding is the most important thing here most men will never even follow you to court. To do what exactly? Maybe in Abuja and Lagos where tradition is not clear and strong.
I agree if they have papers in court they need to tear it
Re: Is My Uncle The Problem Or His Wives? by Kobojunkie: 10:24pm On Jan 28, 2022
Walkee:
none of my sisters that got married ever did any form of registry. In fact nobody I I know has ever done that. Once bride price is paid here in Edo state you are 100% fully married. Traditional wedding is the most important thing here most men will never even follow you to court. To do what exactly? Maybe in Abuja and Lagos where tradition is not clear and strong.
I agree if they have papers in court they need to tear it
That means your sister are ignorant of their right as individuals and citizens in the country. In the eyes of Nigerian law, none of your sisters are married. They are in cohabitation agreements with the men they call their husbands. undecided

Think about what you just now claimed of your sisters. Should any of them be asked for proof of marriage, at a government facility or even a foreign government office, what proof will ant of them have to show? What document indeed shows them as married? undecided

What that also means is that should your in-laws up and abandon any of your sisters - leaving them with children - to marry another, your sisters will be left helpless in such situations as they would be no better than baby mama's in the eyes of the law. undecided

1 Like

Re: Is My Uncle The Problem Or His Wives? by Sabenko: 10:29pm On Jan 28, 2022
He fired his first wife??���� which kind egocentric man is ur uncle? He probably gets women who are extremely of low class to him and toss them around as he pleases, hence, they av no opinion whatsoever in matters concerning the home

1 Like

Re: Is My Uncle The Problem Or His Wives? by Poleski: 10:32pm On Jan 28, 2022
Ayanwukoma:
The first wife he married didn't last a year he fired her, just because he saw her with another man at a restaurant eating.

the second wife, is presently in her father's house, because he says she doesn't listen to instructions, since 2012.

just this evening, a group of elder men from his third wife family came visiting my father to talk to his brother....I knew they must have been another issue...

so this left me asking is he the problem or his wives?

The first wife issue is understandable but may not be what he thought it was.

The second wife issue made him look like a narcissist and an authoritarian. His wife isn't his maid; he could order around.

No details were revealed about the problem he had with the third wife. So I've nothing to say about it.

From what I know from your post, I blame your uncle. He has some personal behavioral issues he needs to deal with first before venturing into marriage.

1 Like

Re: Is My Uncle The Problem Or His Wives? by temmytee2309: 10:43pm On Jan 28, 2022
Exactly like my father grin
Re: Is My Uncle The Problem Or His Wives? by Walkee: 10:48pm On Jan 28, 2022
Kobojunkie:
That means your sister are ignorant of their right as individuals and citizens in the country. In the eyes of Nigerian law, none of your sisters are married. They are in cohabitation agreements with the men they call their husbands. undecided

Think about what you just now claimed of your sisters. Should any of them be asked for proof of marriage, at a government facility or even a foreign government office, what proof will ant of them have to show? What document indeed shows them as married? undecided

What that also means is that should your in-laws up and abandon any of your sisters - leaving them with children - to marry another, your sisters will be left helpless in such situations as they would be no better than baby mama's in the eyes of the law. undecided
what law? Here in my state tradition comes first. Nobody I know here has done any form of registry. I saw the the registry in Esan central LGA it is fully bushy, I doubt anybody has stepped foot in that building since forever. None of them can be abandoned with children as men normally try to claim children here, it's women who fight to keep the children. If you do court registery without doing traditional wedding you as single as hell, you won't even be allowed to burry your parents should they die unless you do traditional marriage. Once you have done your traditional wedding every institution regard you fully and legally wedded.
Re: Is My Uncle The Problem Or His Wives? by Walkee: 10:54pm On Jan 28, 2022
Kobojunkie:

there's no added benefit to doing registry here. Once you married or divorced traditionally everyone holds it as valid. If you do only registery nobody considers you married, neither traditional people nor religious bodies regards you as you a married woman so to people here it is completely unnecessary.

Lastly we are very polygamous here, their husbands don't even have to abandon them to marry another woman, he can marry the second or third wives and bring them home if he has the balls.

Not everything needs paper documents.
Marriage, like inheritance has its well defined law and arrangements that no one can tamper with. My grandfather left 100s of acres of land, not a single one was documented but nobody can dispute the fact that they belonged the family. It passed to the first born son, not a single document was handed over, elders came and did their thing and it's fully binding
Re: Is My Uncle The Problem Or His Wives? by Kobojunkie: 11:02pm On Jan 28, 2022
Walkee:
what law? Here in my state tradition comes first. Nobody I know here has done any form of registry. I saw the the registry in Esan central LGA it is fully bushy, I doubt anybody has stepped foot in that building since forever. None of them can be abandoned with children as men normally try to claim children here,

it's women who fight to keep the children. If you do court registery without doing traditional wedding you as single as hell, you won't even be allowed to burry your parents should they die unless you do traditional marriage. Once you have done your traditional wedding every institution regard you fully and legally wedded.
You think there is no law ? undecided

So because nobody you know understands their right and place as individuals and citizens, means you too should ñot seek out your rights as an individual and citizen of your state and country? undecided

If the LGA registry is bushy, why not inquire as to the office where you should go instead, and this from the State government office? undecided

Men normally try, so all the women abandoned by their men to raise their children on their own are what? Fitments of our collective imaginations? undecided

It is obvious from your post that you are quite ignorant of the place of registering marriages in the courts, court marriages. So I suggest you get yourself educated on these things first before you post any further comments on the matter. undecided

1 Like

Re: Is My Uncle The Problem Or His Wives? by Walkee: 11:08pm On Jan 28, 2022
Kobojunkie:

So because nobody you know understands their right and place as individuals and citizens, means you too should ñot seek out your rights as an individual and citizen of your state and country? undecided

If the LGA registry is bushy, why not inquire as to the office where you should go instead, and this from the State government office? undecided

Men normally try, so all the women abandoned by their men to raise their children on their own are what? Fitments of our collective imaginations? undecided

It is obvious from your post that you are quite ignorant of the place of registering marriages in the courts, court marriages. So I suggest you get yourself educated on these things first before you post any further comments on the matter. undecided
you still don't get my point. Doing registry doesn't give anyone any additional rights here, not doing registry doesn't take away any right from you. Registry is just another irrelevant process with no added benefit which is why people don't do it here. If you live in Lagos or Abuja where there isn't really tradition you can bring up the relevance of registry. Here, traditional wedding is number one then religious wedding. Doing registry doesn't give anyone any more rights than he already has.
Re: Is My Uncle The Problem Or His Wives? by Walkee: 11:11pm On Jan 28, 2022
Kobojunkie:

even if you did court marriage, a man that will abandon you with your children will still do it and there isn't much the court can do or is it not the same court that will tell men to be sending 5k for the upkeep of 3 children? Is that what you are hyping?
Which reasonable will even be sending his children 5k monthly?
Is that the right you are hyping?
Re: Is My Uncle The Problem Or His Wives? by Kobojunkie: 11:13pm On Jan 28, 2022
Walkee:
even if you did court marriage, a man that will abandon you with your children will still do it and there isn't much the court can do
Wrong! undecided

If your marriage is registered with the courts or you do court marriage, what the courts can do is make sure that in the case of divorce, the man is forced to pay his share of childcare. undecided

That is much better than being abandoned with absolutely nothing at all which is the fate many of our mothers and their mothers before them suffered when marriage crashed for them, leaving them with mouths to feed and nothing to feed them with. undecided

Depending on how much the man makes and the woman makes, receiving N5000 a month is better than receiving nothing at all. That there is commonsense. undecided

Please take time to educate yourself for the sake of the women in your life. undecided

1 Like

Re: Is My Uncle The Problem Or His Wives? by Walkee: 11:18pm On Jan 28, 2022
Kobojunkie:
Wrong! undecided

If your marriage is registered with the courts or you do court marriage, what the courts can do is make sure that in the case of divorce, the man is forced to pay his share of childcare. undecided
the ones being forced to pay 5k? Majority of men claim the children belong to him and try to keep them the irresponsible ones are told to send paltry sum. Is this the big right you are hyping?
Re: Is My Uncle The Problem Or His Wives? by Kobojunkie: 11:20pm On Jan 28, 2022
Walkee:
the ones being forced to pay 5k? Majority of men claim the children belong to him and try to keep them the irresponsible ones are told to send paltry sum. Is this the big right you are hyping?
Do you even process the logic of what you type at all? undecided

1 Like

Re: Is My Uncle The Problem Or His Wives? by Walkee: 11:23pm On Jan 28, 2022
Kobojunkie:
Wrong! undecided

That is much better than being abandoned with absolutely nothing at all which is the fate many of our mothers and their mothers before them suffered when marriage crashed for them, leaving them with mouths to feed and nothing to feed them with. undecided

Depending on how much the man makes and the woman makes, receiving N5000 a month is better than receiving nothing at all. That there is commonsense. undecided

Please take time to educate yourself for the sake of the women in your life. undecided
lol educate myself on what? Majority of men chase out their wives and keep the children, marry new wives which is where stories of maltreatment come in.
The women who are chased out, whether they did registry or not get nothing so what rights are you talking about? In the West the man has to pay all sorts of support, here you get nothing so what exactly are you hyping?
If the union lasted 10 years with children, what would the court grant the woman?
Re: Is My Uncle The Problem Or His Wives? by Kobojunkie: 11:27pm On Jan 28, 2022
Walkee:
lol educate myself on what? Majority of men chase out their wives and keep the children, marry new wives which is where stories of maltreatment come in
So, if one of your sisters were kicked out of her marriage and her children taken from her and maltreated by the other wives, you think that a better option than your sister leaving with her kids and having the courts make sure she is paid an allowance each month from her ex for their care? undecided

1 Like

Re: Is My Uncle The Problem Or His Wives? by Kobojunkie: 11:29pm On Jan 28, 2022
Walkee:
lol educate myself on what? Majority of men chase out their wives and keep the children, marry new wives which is where stories of maltreatment come in.
The women who are chased out, whether they did registry or not get nothing so what rights are you talking about? In the West the man has to pay all sorts of support, here you get nothing so what exactly are you hyping?
If the union lasted 10 years with children, what would the court grant the woman?
If you don't know how the courts arrive at the numbers they use in deciding the amount for childcare, ask.. undecided

1 Like

Re: Is My Uncle The Problem Or His Wives? by Walkee: 11:33pm On Jan 28, 2022
Kobojunkie:
So, if one of your sisters were kicked out of her marriage and her children taken from her and maltreated by the other wives, you think that a better option than your sister leaving with her kids and having the courts make sure she is paid an allowance each month from her ex for their care? undecided
here children belong to the family of the man. If my sister married an Hausa man, her children aren't even my tribesmen. All your points about the importance of Registry is completely based on the event that there are children in the picture. Is it all marriages that produce children? If the woman has no children, what added right does the registry gives her?
From all your points, it's not even about the woman, it's about the children. What if she gets kicked out and the man takes good care of his children?
Re: Is My Uncle The Problem Or His Wives? by Walkee: 11:34pm On Jan 28, 2022
Kobojunkie:
If you don't know how the courts arrive at the numbers they use in deciding the amount for childcare, ask.. undecided
I meant if the union lasted 10 years without children what will the court grant the woman
Re: Is My Uncle The Problem Or His Wives? by ezewealth(m): 11:34pm On Jan 28, 2022
Kobojunkie:
And I am telling you that the very same divorce process available in Nigeria to the rich among them is also available to the poor in the same Nigeria. undecided

You say the man was already done with the woman the moment he saw her in the restaurant, but that means absolutely nothing. So long as he is married to her, she can file marriage abandonment charges against him and have divorce processed that way. undecided

Choice to remain in marriage? According to the OP, the man abandoned the marriage and since it takes two to make a marriage, what rational is there in choosing to live as an abandoned spouse? These women ought to have had their divorce processed through the courts is what I posted there. undecided
So u believe in Nigerian judicial process? Wake up and smell the coffee. Maybe u just graduated from law sch , u just wan flex your discipline
Re: Is My Uncle The Problem Or His Wives? by Walkee: 11:35pm On Jan 28, 2022
Kobojunkie:
you talk about rights of the woman but everything one of your point is completely about the children what happens if she did registry, spent 20 years with the husband without children, got kicked out. What added right will the registry give her?
Re: Is My Uncle The Problem Or His Wives? by Kobojunkie: 11:41pm On Jan 28, 2022
Walkee:
I meant if the union lasted 10 years without children what will the court grant the woman
It's up the courts and based on the conditions of the union in question and the intelligence level of the individual in the marriage.
Also depends on the lawyer handling the divorce case. undecided
Each marriage is different. In that same Nigeria, some women end up granted equal division of property even where no children are involved, whereas others walk away with nothing. Marriage is meant to be intelligently embarked on after all it is a sort of business agreement between a man and a woman. undecided

1 Like

Re: Is My Uncle The Problem Or His Wives? by Walkee: 11:43pm On Jan 28, 2022
Kobojunkie:
It's up the courts and based on the conditions of the union in question and the intelligence level of the individual in the marriage.
Also depends on the lawyer handling the divorce case. undecided
Each marriage is different. In that same Nigeria, some women end up granted equal division of property even where no children are involved, whereas others walk away with nothing. Marriage is meant to be intelligently embarked on after all it is a sort of business agreement between a man and a woman. undecided
lmao dream on girl. example of a woman who got equal share of property because she "knew her right" by doing court marriage

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

What's The Funniest Thing You've Heard From A Child? / Abandoned Child Rescued With A Polythene Bag Containing Her Clothes / See This Beautiful Photos Of Four-generation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.