Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,204 members, 7,818,694 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:56 PM

NURTW Clashes: Bode George Blames Sanwo-Olu, Says Lagos Island Is In Squalour - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / NURTW Clashes: Bode George Blames Sanwo-Olu, Says Lagos Island Is In Squalour (10843 Views)

El-Rufai Visits Sanwo-Olu, Says He Nearly Shed Tears Seeing Burnt Sites / Governor Sanwo-Olu Says Lagos Is Cleaner Now. Do You Agree? (Photos) / 2019: We’ll Campaign Vigorously For Buhari, Sanwo-olu, Says Ambode (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

NURTW Clashes: Bode George Blames Sanwo-Olu, Says Lagos Island Is In Squalour by hisexcellency34: 2:39pm On Jan 30, 2022
By Temidayo Akinsuyi

Chief Olabode George, a former Deputy National Chairman of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) has laid the blame of the perennial clashes by street urchins in Lagos Island on the doorsteps of Lagos State Governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu.

Two persons were killed last week when rival gangsters of the National Union of Road Transport Workers (NURTW) clashed in the Idumota area of Lagos State. The was between hoodlums from Idumota, Balogun, Martins, Kosoko and Oluwole areas of Lagos Island.

The clash affected trading and other commercial activities while the Lagos state government also placed a ban on NURTW activities.

Speaking in an interview with DAILY INDEPENDENT, George who was born in Lagos Island said many youths have taken to thuggery and are joining the NURTW because of lack jobs and failure of the state government to create skill acquisition programmes for them.
He said “Lagos Island is where I was born and I also grew up there. The difference between my time and now is like day and night. What has the government of Lagos done to assuage the pains of these young people?”.

“ There was a programme under former President Goodluck Jonathan that they call skill acquisition programme. It was specifically targeted at and designed for youths”.

“Whatever skills you want to learn, maybe tailoring, hairdressing, carpentry, shoemaking and so on, the government will advertise, people apply and the government trained them at the Federal Institute of Industrial Research (FIIRO), Oshodi. After they have successfully completed the training, the government now hook them into cooperatives and give them interest-free loans”.

“With all the resources at the disposal of the Lagos state government, what are they doing in that direction? Like the Europeans will say ‘a man who has no job is a ready tool for thuggery’. We also have a popular saying here that ‘an idle hand is a devil’s workshop’. When the youths wake up in the morning with no job, they are in a state of helplessness and hopelessness. Yet, somebody is getting N30 billion every month”.

“My advice to the Lagos state government is, go and create jobs for these young people. Even graduates are now staying at home in Lagos Island with no job. It is unemployment that is driving these youths into becoming members of National Union of Road Transport Workers (NURTW)”.

“I grew up in Lagos Island and it was the envy of everybody in West Africa. But today, it has become an eyesore where thugs are having a field day. Yet, the government is not concerned, they keep breeding thugs because they have no plans for the youths”.

Speaking further, the Atona Oodua of the Source said unlike Governor Babatunde Fashola who developed his area in Surulere and his successor, Akinwunmi Ambode who transformed Epe, Sanwo-Olu has completely anbandoned Lagos Island where he hails from and the place is now a squalour.

“Fashola grew up in Surulere, see what he has done in Surulere to the roads there. Ambode grew up in Epe, look at what he has done in Epe. Even if that is all they can do, at least, their people are happy. The current governor, Sanwo-Olu grew up in Lagos Island but nothing has been done in that area”.

“Lagos Island is now a squalor, an absolutely filthy area and overpopulated. When I go to my father’s house, I find it difficult to drive through because of congestion. Bola Tinubu is there. His wife is a senator for Lagos Central. What has she contributed? Nothing. The governor has to wake up to his responsibilities”.

“I don’t think he knows what is governance. Governance is defined as the management of the resources of the area for the benefit of the people. The governor must treat this issue with utmost urgency by creating jobs for the people. He has to modernize the road networks there”.

“Marina which is the commercial centre of Lagos state is in Lagos Island. We can’t continue to watch and allow business activities to be paralysed and innocent people who are looking for their daily bread injured by these rampaging youths”.

“Now, he wants to increase transportation levy by N800 daily. If he does that, it will immediately impact on the cost of food items and other things. I am appealing to the governor to be alive to his responsibilities”.
https://independent.ng/nurtw-clashes-bode-george-blames-sanwo-olu-says-lagos-island-is-in-squalour/

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: NURTW Clashes: Bode George Blames Sanwo-Olu, Says Lagos Island Is In Squalour by Xscape1993(m): 2:40pm On Jan 30, 2022
I am not surprised. Agbero government. I was even told that their founder is preparing for president.

32 Likes 2 Shares

Re: NURTW Clashes: Bode George Blames Sanwo-Olu, Says Lagos Island Is In Squalour by MyVILLAGEpeople(m): 2:43pm On Jan 30, 2022
Tinubu is the cause. Sanwo Olu is doing Tinubu bidding.

28 Likes 2 Shares

Re: NURTW Clashes: Bode George Blames Sanwo-Olu, Says Lagos Island Is In Squalour by helinues: 2:43pm On Jan 30, 2022
When you had the power to turn things around?

What exactly did you do Mr Bode to Help Lagosians?

What moral justification do you have sir Tewonde to be questioning others?

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: NURTW Clashes: Bode George Blames Sanwo-Olu, Says Lagos Island Is In Squalour by PrinceOfLagos: 2:44pm On Jan 30, 2022
Bode George is Igbo

Infact he's IPob

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: NURTW Clashes: Bode George Blames Sanwo-Olu, Says Lagos Island Is In Squalour by PrinceOfLagos: 2:46pm On Jan 30, 2022
helinues:
When you had the power to turn things around?

What moral justification do you have sir Tewonde to be questioning others?

Since chief bode couldn't fix the problem when he was there, should Sanwo Olu also allow same problem to persist because Uncle bode couldn't fix the problem ?

52 Likes 7 Shares

Re: NURTW Clashes: Bode George Blames Sanwo-Olu, Says Lagos Island Is In Squalour by adekanmbi1986(m): 2:48pm On Jan 30, 2022
Hmm
Re: NURTW Clashes: Bode George Blames Sanwo-Olu, Says Lagos Island Is In Squalour by helinues: 2:48pm On Jan 30, 2022
PrinceOfLagos:

Since chief bode couldn't fix the problem when he was there, should Sanwo Olu also allow same problem to persist because Uncle bode couldn't fix the problem ?

Sorry, how are you different from Mr Bode George.

What moral justification do you also have to be asking me questions?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: NURTW Clashes: Bode George Blames Sanwo-Olu, Says Lagos Island Is In Squalour by nairavsdollars(f): 2:49pm On Jan 30, 2022
when was Bode George even there, was he at anytime Lagos governor?
PrinceOfLagos:

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: NURTW Clashes: Bode George Blames Sanwo-Olu, Says Lagos Island Is In Squalour by Totilopussylick(m): 2:49pm On Jan 30, 2022
Xscape1993:
I am not surprised. Agbero government. I was even told that their founder is preparing for president.
And he is going to fall yakata tongue

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: NURTW Clashes: Bode George Blames Sanwo-Olu, Says Lagos Island Is In Squalour by PrinceOfLagos: 2:50pm On Jan 30, 2022
helinues:

Sorry, how are you different from Mr Bode George.

What moral justification do you also have to be asking me questions?

I think you should throw the question at Helinues the fake news peddler

11 Likes

Re: NURTW Clashes: Bode George Blames Sanwo-Olu, Says Lagos Island Is In Squalour by helinues: 2:50pm On Jan 30, 2022
PrinceOfLagos:

I think you should throw the question at Helinues the fake news peddler

Eggzactly, we are yet to pack the oracle from ground, it has started predicting.

Abeg swerve jor

1 Like

Re: NURTW Clashes: Bode George Blames Sanwo-Olu, Says Lagos Island Is In Squalour by Totilopussylick(m): 2:51pm On Jan 30, 2022
PrinceOfLagos:
Bode George is Igbo

Infact he's IPob
misplaced priority tongue

Your name should be mumuoflagos undecided

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: NURTW Clashes: Bode George Blames Sanwo-Olu, Says Lagos Island Is In Squalour by PrinceOfLagos: 2:52pm On Jan 30, 2022
helinues:

Eggzactly, we are yet to pack the oracle from ground, it has started predicting.

Abeg swerve jor
Who be dis one

11 Likes

Re: NURTW Clashes: Bode George Blames Sanwo-Olu, Says Lagos Island Is In Squalour by Nobody: 2:53pm On Jan 30, 2022
All this old papa should leave politics and stop the clout-chasing, all for the news

2 Likes

Re: NURTW Clashes: Bode George Blames Sanwo-Olu, Says Lagos Island Is In Squalour by helinues: 2:54pm On Jan 30, 2022
PrinceOfLagos:

Who be dis one

Aswear how I wish you could have eyes pushing. Were you drinking something when you first quote me?

You are asking who is this?

The joke is on you

2 Likes

Re: NURTW Clashes: Bode George Blames Sanwo-Olu, Says Lagos Island Is In Squalour by MASTAkiLLAh(m): 2:56pm On Jan 30, 2022
helinues:
[s]When you had the power to turn things around?

What moral justification do you have sir Tewonde to be questioning others[/s]?
24/7, always nonsense. Please, surprise me one day cool

18 Likes 4 Shares

Re: NURTW Clashes: Bode George Blames Sanwo-Olu, Says Lagos Island Is In Squalour by helinues: 2:57pm On Jan 30, 2022
MASTAkiLLAh:
24/7, always nonsense. Please, surprise me one day cool

May be when you start making your own comments without trolling others..

1 Like

Re: NURTW Clashes: Bode George Blames Sanwo-Olu, Says Lagos Island Is In Squalour by PrinceOfLagos: 3:08pm On Jan 30, 2022
helinues:

Aswear how I wish you could have eyes pushing. Were you drinking something when you first quote me?

You are asking who is this?

The joke is on you

Lol

3 Likes

Re: NURTW Clashes: Bode George Blames Sanwo-Olu, Says Lagos Island Is In Squalour by Jostoman: 3:22pm On Jan 30, 2022
Their oga have gone to look for a replacement for poly

4 Likes

Re: NURTW Clashes: Bode George Blames Sanwo-Olu, Says Lagos Island Is In Squalour by hisexcellency34: 3:39pm On Jan 30, 2022
Do you really think Poly was jailed in the first place?
Jostoman:
Their oga have gone to look for a replacement for poly
Re: NURTW Clashes: Bode George Blames Sanwo-Olu, Says Lagos Island Is In Squalour by nairavsdollars(f): 4:41pm On Jan 30, 2022
mkpurumiri
PrinceOfLagos:
Bode George is Igbo

Infact he's IPob

1 Like

Re: NURTW Clashes: Bode George Blames Sanwo-Olu, Says Lagos Island Is In Squalour by orisa37: 7:33pm On Jan 30, 2022
AND SANWOOLU IS TRAVELING TO TURKEY.
Re: NURTW Clashes: Bode George Blames Sanwo-Olu, Says Lagos Island Is In Squalour by orisa37: 7:34pm On Jan 30, 2022
AND SANWOOLU IS TRAVELING TO TURKEY LEAVING HIS STATE IN SHAMBLES.
Re: NURTW Clashes: Bode George Blames Sanwo-Olu, Says Lagos Island Is In Squalour by vincentjk(m): 5:26am On Jan 31, 2022
Good morning cheesy

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: NURTW Clashes: Bode George Blames Sanwo-Olu, Says Lagos Island Is In Squalour by Wokenaija: 5:26am On Jan 31, 2022
EKÖ
Re: NURTW Clashes: Bode George Blames Sanwo-Olu, Says Lagos Island Is In Squalour by ezekins: 5:28am On Jan 31, 2022
They appear to lagos government to be a legal entity

2 Likes

Re: NURTW Clashes: Bode George Blames Sanwo-Olu, Says Lagos Island Is In Squalour by DWJOBScom(m): 5:28am On Jan 31, 2022
Tell them
When you fortify young men for elections and expect them to calm down after your wins.... that's wishful thinking

4 Likes

Re: NURTW Clashes: Bode George Blames Sanwo-Olu, Says Lagos Island Is In Squalour by Seun360(m): 5:35am On Jan 31, 2022
This is a constructive criticism, the Governor need to look into what Bode George has said.

Lagos Island is completely messed up, if you know, you know.

7 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Boko Haram Sends Letter Offering Dialogue / Lagos Amaka - Rare Pictures Of A Growing World Class City / What Is The Role Of Policemen At Check Point

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.