Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,489 members, 7,823,135 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 03:43 AM

Money Rituals: In Defence Of Nollywood - TV/Movies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Money Rituals: In Defence Of Nollywood (21825 Views)

Is Southeast The Real Birthplace Of Nollywood? / Fashola: Nollywood Movies Promoting Money Rituals, Encouraging Kidnapping / Full List Of Winners At The Best Of Nollywood Awards 2017(see List) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Money Rituals: In Defence Of Nollywood by Grandmeister(m): 11:06am On Feb 01, 2022
Tingotoe:
Of course Nollywood is not the only reason but it is one of the major reasons but I think the Nigerian music industry is a worse culprit here
The nollywood movies today hardly show ritual wealth nowadays. Maybe the ones with yoruba storyline (and I don’t mean to be tribal here). It’s been over 2 decades since the kanayos and Pete edochies graced our TVs with such act and even then the moral of the story always shows that they end up having the shortest end of the stick in brutal fashion! What is causing this is rising levels of ILLITERACY and socioeconomic status of majority of the households in the country!
Re: Money Rituals: In Defence Of Nollywood by tegafej(m): 11:07am On Feb 01, 2022
safarigirl:

How is Nollywood broadcasting anything?

There is no logical argument to support that Nollywood is the reason for your perceived increase in ritualism.

I have never seen anyone who committed ritual saying it is because he watched Kanayo O. Kanayo make money from the act in some Nollywood movie. Never.

The same Nollywood also shows that people who commit such heinous acts almost always end up dead or mad, or some truly tragic thing occurs to them. Do those people not watch till the end of the movie?

At what point do we begin to talk about how society glorifies wealth above all things? All the Nigerian musicians that make songs to glorify fraudsters and the likes, when do we mention their own impact? All the HypeMen in clubs that say "Dorime no be for civil servants", when do we call them out?

When do we call out those who shout down people who ask for the source of wealth? All those who say, "Una no ask where the poverty come from when he poor, why you wan know the source of the wealth?" When do we call them out?

When do we condemn the comparison syndrome that has parents putting unnecessary pressure on their kids because "...my colleague's son just bought her a car...."? When do we speak on all of that undue pressure society heaps upon young people to achieve immediate wealth?

Why do we think an entity as small as Nollywood is to blame for a virus so massive? When will we blame family structures, peer pressure, and the ACTUAL causes of ritualism?

My exact thoughts!
Re: Money Rituals: In Defence Of Nollywood by KaluwisxPRO: 11:07am On Feb 01, 2022
Coldie:
Nollywood is the cause of it though my only question is that, it’s normally Eastern movies that showcases money rituals but why then is it very rampant in the southwest where they have Yoruba movies?

I support a ban on movies that promote rituals and drug trafficking.

Then when they make it the way they spend the money sends vibes down to anybody watching it, they use convoid to go to the market place use pump action to announce their entrance red carpet entrance then start spraying money like it’s tissue paper when it’s impossible.

Yoruba movies started the use of JUJU and Diabolism in movies.

Yoruba movies back then is all about JUJU and show of Jazz that don’t work in real life. Sacrifices and all that stuff, don’t excuse any bagger from the mess like y’all are taking to kids.

1 Like

Re: Money Rituals: In Defence Of Nollywood by TUBLEZ(m): 11:07am On Feb 01, 2022
CandyOps:

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2021/07/stop-asking-me-where-to-do-money-rituals-actor-yul-edochie-pleads/amp/

I'll give you a B+ for the effort. But then don't play dumb just to score a cheap point.

Besides Nollywood IS NOT a small entity like you make it seem as it grosses over $490million annually. In fact, it is actually the world's 3rd biggest movie industry. Only coming behind Hollywood & Bollywood.

https://www.un.org/africarenewal/magazine/may-2013/nigeria%E2%80%99s-film-industry-potential-gold-mine#:~:text=The%20Nigerian%20film%20industry%2C%20also,an%20impressive%20%24590%20million%20annually.

You seem not to understand the cause & effect of the kind of contents reeled out by the Nigerian movie industry on it's consumers.

And for some reasons you completely ignored the other points I raised which make me believe you may be part of the movie industry
Don't u watch the same nollywood? Why haven't u do money rituals just because u hv been watching nollywood or go to bank and Rob because u hv been watching robbery scene in movies? No movie on money rituals or robbery that those involve ends well , a ritalist in a Movie wil always die or run mad, robbers or cult gang will always be kill or life imprisonment, even runs girl in movie wil end up having HIV or womb cut off just to warn people that the end of this crimes are always brutal and ful of regrets.

1 Like

Re: Money Rituals: In Defence Of Nollywood by wirinet(m): 11:07am On Feb 01, 2022
dominique:
I hardly watch movies, has any Nollywood movie portrayed how a ritual killer lived happily ever after? Do they end well at the end of such movies? As far as I know, Nollywood movies tries to discourage people from going into ritual killings, maybe people choose not to watch till the end. Musical videos on the other hand pushes these youths to indulge in despicable things to make money. When youths vibe to music like; if you no get money hide your face or if you no get money wetin you gain etc, they're indirectly pressured into making this money by all means. Music industry has caused more damage to the youths mentality than Nollywood ever did it ever will.

Does showing destructive effects of drugs discourage people from seeking the benefits?

1 Like

Re: Money Rituals: In Defence Of Nollywood by Nobody: 11:12am On Feb 01, 2022
The only way I can see this menace eradicated is by televising the executions of ritualists on national television, I have been ringing this solution for years, once people see that there's no way to buy your way when caught there's no way it won't put fear in the rest of the culprits.

1 Like

Re: Money Rituals: In Defence Of Nollywood by Jephyard(m): 11:14am On Feb 01, 2022
Actually Nollywood glamorize ritual killing even if the ritualist end up dying. By now ritual killing should have been a thing of the past but they keep bringing it up in their contents. Actually there are so many ways to make it big illegally there is cybercrime, bloated government contract or in private sector, fraudster (419), oil bunkery, cattle rustlers, car thieves etc but Nollywood don't want to go through that stress of such content cos it take money or might not make money for them so they chose the easy way out by producing content that involve ritual killing it easy to write such content though we can't denied fact that there are ritual killing happening around us but doesn't always necessarily involve human.

We all can't put the blame on Nollywood alone social media has to be regulated and our parent has failed. How can your kid or ward just bring in money without you questioning how he or she made that money even if it a gift one should question the motive behind it.

And I want to beg our fathers please don't leave child raising alone for our mothers most of them don't have the capacity to raise a child. Please we should discouraged divorce, Nigeria don't have the capacity to help in such situations. Out government are the worst, fix the economy and this thing will go down drastically. As for our religious leaders please avoid those guys as a plague those one have mental disorder I don't want to go into detail. How can you believe in a God's 1000km away from you to a God close by. You have no God likeness in your own image. Only the black have no God in their image. Keep bastardizing your tradition without prove no wonder most of us don't have an identity.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Money Rituals: In Defence Of Nollywood by Tingotoe: 11:15am On Feb 01, 2022
Grandmeister:

The nollywood movies today hardly show ritual wealth nowadays. Maybe the ones with yoruba storyline (and I don’t mean to be tribal here). It’s been over 2 decades since the kanayos and Pete edochies graced our TVs with such act and even then the moral of the story always shows that they end up having the shortest end of the stick in brutal fashion! What is causing this is rising levels of ILLITERACY and socioeconomic status of majority of the households in the country!
didn't you read the part where I mentioned that the music industry is a worse culprit?
Re: Money Rituals: In Defence Of Nollywood by tollyboy5(m): 11:17am On Feb 01, 2022
mediainc:
Nollywood is the first cause and exposure if money ritual to kids and youths, they glamouralize get quick rich schemes, media also glamouralize criminality and get rich quick schemes, and people making money off bloody criminal ways. Media is key in influencing kids and youths. Kids follow what they see, no discernment.

Nollywood must show the beauty of Nigeria, beauty of enterprise,.culture and glory in our movies, not always about vodoo.
Nollywood will hardly show tech related stuff, martial art etc.

Na only dumb stories empty content maybe grin

3 Likes

Re: Money Rituals: In Defence Of Nollywood by Originalsly: 11:19am On Feb 01, 2022
Very good write up. But who was blaming Nollywood? I'm almost sure few people involve in ritual killings even watch Nollywood movies. The young guys that killed the girl .... even if they are Nollywood fans ... is it likely they would be watching such movies? If that type of movie was a new trend... and we saw the sudden spike of ritual killings then it would be fair to blame Nollywood. As I see it .... ritual killings was always known to involve body parts. With this in mind ... when we now see many people killed for body parts we conclude it is because of ritual killings. What J really believe is the cause of the sudden rise and sudden richness is really the sale of body parts. We know there is a great demand for organs in the dark market.... organs that fetch get rich quick prices. The people that have the connections are the ones driving the killings..... and those who don't know that market... believe that the richness is from ritual killings and take that route. We need to be aware of the dark market and the hunt for organs.... the reason we can see hotels being used as trap houses... the reason some hospitals always require surgery for almost every complain.... especially for the young and healthy. When they enter your body ... do they go in and take out a kidney?.. instead of cut appendix as they said? I believe the dark market is behind these killings and not Nollywood.
Re: Money Rituals: In Defence Of Nollywood by SeriouslySense(m): 11:22am On Feb 01, 2022
What you just said is what Nollywood should show, it should explain the facts rather than just been a repeating of peoples talk and superstitions.

This can lead to more education.

The organ Market is a very interesting and also educative concept, that Nollywood can explore.
and it can contrast to the misconceptions that human parts gives money, which is very wrong, no human parts gives any wealth.

Originalsly:
[b]Very good write up. But who was blaming Nollywood? I'm almost sure few people involve in ritual killings even watch Nollywood movies. The young guys that killed the girl .... even if they are Nollywood fans ... is it likely they would be watching such movies? If that type of movie was a new trend... and we saw the sudden spike of ritual killings then it would be fair to blame Nollywood. As I see it .... ritual killings was always known to involve body parts. With this in mind ... when we now see many people killed for body parts we conclude it is because of ritual killings. What J really believe is the cause of the sudden rise and sudden richness is really the sale of body parts. We know there is a great demand for organs in the dark market.... organs that fetch get rich quick prices. The people that have the connections are the ones driving the killings..... and those who don't know that market... believe that the richness is from ritual killings and take that route. We need to be aware of the dark market and the hunt for organs.... the reason we can see hotels being used as trap houses... the reason some hospitals always require surgery for almost every complain.... especially for the young and healthy. When they enter your body ... do they go in and take out a kidney?.. instead of cut appendix as they said? I believe the dark market is behind these killings and not Nollywood.[/b]

2 Likes

Re: Money Rituals: In Defence Of Nollywood by Samuelriano1(m): 11:25am On Feb 01, 2022
what trash is this. after seeing people blaming Nollywood for ritual killing,I can categorically say, most Nigerians are dumb.
Re: Money Rituals: In Defence Of Nollywood by Nobody: 11:26am On Feb 01, 2022
With our unstable electricity,most times the kids don't get to see the bad end of the ritualiist in movies,the beginning they've watched remains in their thoughts and they grow with it ...same thing for movies where they display prostitution and all sorts,the kids watching these movies may likely not see the end of the movie so in their thoughts with the little they have watched,they feel it's a way of life and nothing wrong with it. I hope someone will get what am trying to say
Re: Money Rituals: In Defence Of Nollywood by joyandfaith: 11:32am On Feb 01, 2022
Ishilove:
Hymar Idibie, a writer and content creator opined that art imitates life, and I wholeheartedly concur.

https://web.facebook.com/hymardavid?__cft__

Religious practices need to be regulated. All shrines and tradional practitioners should be registered. Likewise, each church and mosques should have basic records of their members. There should be records for all spiritual healing homes.
Re: Money Rituals: In Defence Of Nollywood by SeriouslySense(m): 11:32am On Feb 01, 2022
very true, and that is the problem, kids who are still building their foundational personality, may be stuck in that primitive idea. Their brains are very magnetic, taking every thing in, and then its stored even without their awareness, then later when they have problems in Life, they may recall that believe and try ritual killing to solve their problems, nobody knew this is their hidden belief, since they may not talk about it and explain it.

Yet their immediate environment and culture may also promote or fantasies such ideas, and the process is never explained to them or really understood, their parents do not talk in very minute details what it means, as a foundational support.

Samson0599:
With our unstable electricity,most times the kids don't get to see the bad end of the ritualiist in movies,the beginning they've watched remains in their thoughts and they grow with it ...same thing for movies where they display prostitution and all sorts,the kids watching these movies may likely not see the end of the movie so in their thoughts with the little they have watched,they feel it's a way of life and nothing wrong with it. I hope someone will get what am trying to say
Re: Money Rituals: In Defence Of Nollywood by Nobody: 11:33am On Feb 01, 2022
Nollywood where the white man's religion is always portrayed as Pius and sanctimonious and the tradition and customs of Nigeria always portrayed as backward and demonic. No other culture would you find this happening. The Asians will always portray themselves as the Pius and sanctimonious ones and the West as the villains.

Nollywood that promotes believe in superstitions. Anyone that's proud of Nollywood should have his head checked. There's nothing there to be proud about

3 Likes

Re: Money Rituals: In Defence Of Nollywood by Amah70: 11:35am On Feb 01, 2022
No defence for Nollywood which made people think that rituals to make money truly exist.

How can sacrificing a human being make one become rich? Many who believe in sacrificing human being to get rich are poorly educated people. Nollywood started to teach them that nonesense.

2 Likes

Re: Money Rituals: In Defence Of Nollywood by Nobody: 11:35am On Feb 01, 2022
safarigirl:

There is no logical argument to support that Nollywood is the reason for your perceived increase in ritualism.

I have never seen anyone who committed ritual saying it is because he watched Kanayo O. Kanayo make money from the act in some Nollywood movie. Never.

The same Nollywood also shows that people who commit such heinous acts almost always end up dead or mad, or some truly tragic thing occurs to them. Do those people not watch till the end of the movie?

At what point do we begin to talk about how society glorifies wealth above all things? All the Nigerian musicians that make songs to glorify fraudsters and the likes, when do we mention their own impact? All the HypeMen in clubs that say "Dorime no be for civil servants", when do we call them out?

When do we call out those who shout down people who ask for the source of wealth? All those who say, "Una no ask where the poverty come from when he poor, why you wan know the source of the wealth?" When do we call them out?

When do we condemn the comparison syndrome that has parents putting unnecessary pressure on their kids because "...my colleague's son just bought her a car...."? When do we speak on all of that undue pressure society heaps upon young people to achieve immediate wealth?

Why do we think an entity as small as Nollywood is to blame for a virus so massive? When will we blame family structures, peer pressure, and the ACTUAL causes of ritualism?

Most people believes what they see in movies.

Nollywood should glorify hard work to success, instead of luck and spiritualism.

Most people are dumb.

1 Like

Re: Money Rituals: In Defence Of Nollywood by OgunkeelAllMod: 11:36am On Feb 01, 2022
Wetin be Nollywood undecided I no dey watch the rubbish undecided..filled with trashy plots ,stupid unintelligent, low life characters.. Sorry, I'm strictly HOLLYWOOD, no apology abeg.. undecided

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Money Rituals: In Defence Of Nollywood by aribisala0(m): 11:37am On Feb 01, 2022
CandyOps:

Besides Nollywood IS NOT a small entity like you make it seem as it grosses over $490million annually. In fact, it is actually the world's 3rd biggest movie industry. Only coming behind Hollywood & Bollywood.

Third biggest ? Is this also in gross annual Revenue or an attempt to mislead people with sophistry
Re: Money Rituals: In Defence Of Nollywood by Nobody: 11:38am On Feb 01, 2022
deepwater:
You people would leave the crux of the matter that has rampage the land to drag on Nollywood!

Ritual is not getting worse, it is getting filmed!!!

are u saying you all belioeved that Google sh.i.t story those boys were telling about learning how to behead someone for rituals online from google?

if u all are serious at all, demand to know the priest who instructed that gore event to happen and as well the BIG MAN who may have ordered a sacrifice be made for his/her selfish ambitions.

i still do not beleive those 4 fellas acted in isolation ! undecided

an identity of someone is been protected!
i would not accept that 4 people would be found with a fresh human head and dismembered corpse still flowing with red blood and nothing, not even a mark from an irate mob is found on their body,,,,, please tell me when Nigeria stopped jungle justice?

And herein lays your problem.

Inability to believe despite concrete evidence.
Re: Money Rituals: In Defence Of Nollywood by SeriouslySense(m): 11:38am On Feb 01, 2022
Exactly, there is no wealth from harming another person, very true.

Amah70:
No defence for Nollywood which made people think that rituals to make money truly exist.

How can sacrificing a human being make one become rich? Many who believe in sacrificing human being to get rich are poorly educated people. Nollywood started to teach them that nonesense.
Re: Money Rituals: In Defence Of Nollywood by Amah70: 11:39am On Feb 01, 2022
ObaKlaz:
See...

Our society glorifies materialism and worships lucre in all facets.
What we have now are consequences of a failed value system, starting from the family unit, pervading every fabric of our society. Nollywood projects ritualism, yes, but blaming it all on Nollywood is ludicrous.

And, to say that ritual killings are not getting worse and are only being accentuated by social media/Internet is a wrong conjecture. Ritual killings are actually at an ALL TIME HIGH, unlike what was, before social media/Internet came to be. It's alarming, alarms ought to be blaring by now.

From primary school to university teaching, a lot of new education is needed in Nigeria to inform people that there is no way sacrificing a human being can make money for one.

1 Like

Re: Money Rituals: In Defence Of Nollywood by Immorttal: 11:42am On Feb 01, 2022
safarigirl:

you make zero sense dear.
Re: Money Rituals: In Defence Of Nollywood by Amah70: 11:45am On Feb 01, 2022
SeriouslySense:
Exactly, there is no wealth from harming another person, very true.

If money can be made through ritual killing of a human being, white people in Europe and the Americas would have mastered the art of ritual killing to make money, long before any black people. But ritual killings don't exist for Oyibo.
Some poorly educated Nigerians waste human lives in the name of ritual killings to get rich. Alas, they don't get rich from wasting human life in rituals.
Re: Money Rituals: In Defence Of Nollywood by Rotji(m): 11:47am On Feb 01, 2022
safarigirl:

Why you get too much sense like dat cool shocked grin

1 Like

Re: Money Rituals: In Defence Of Nollywood by SeriouslySense(m): 11:48am On Feb 01, 2022
To some degree we all copy what we see in movies, books, or in the surroundings, this is how humans beings operate, we take cues from the environment, and anyone under-estimating the influence of movies, is really not aware of the power of images and sound or continuous images, that we watch and take for granted.

To some degree we are dumb as a people, but we can choose, and we can be responsible and not dumb.

AdeOri99:

Most people believes what they see in movies.

Nollywood should glorify hard work to success, instead of luck and spiritualism.

Most people are dumb.
Re: Money Rituals: In Defence Of Nollywood by SeriouslySense(m): 11:52am On Feb 01, 2022
Exactly, its a very dumb idea, yet many people especially in Nigeria, believe you can be lazy, or you don't have to work through the challenges, and that one can easily make money by taking another persons life. Maybe they enjoy the act of harming people.

Amah70:

If money can be made through ritual killing of a human being, white people in Europe and the Americas would have mastered the art of ritual killing to make money, long before any black people. But ritual killings don't exist for Oyibo.
Some poorly educated Nigerians waste human lives in the name of ritual killings to get rich. Alas, they don't get rich from wasting human life in rituals.
Re: Money Rituals: In Defence Of Nollywood by musicwriter(m): 11:54am On Feb 01, 2022
The three things that create and regulate a society are language, education, religion.
Once you get the above three wrong, you'll get disoriented and your culture would be on auto-pilot. And you'll get every other thing wrong.

Our culture is on auto-pilot because the elements that create and regulate culture are foreign.

What you're witnessing is EFFECT not the CAUSE. That's exactly the result we should get and it can only get worse

If you're looking for the root cause that's it. Nollywood is just like a journalist reporting the news.
Re: Money Rituals: In Defence Of Nollywood by Nobody: 11:55am On Feb 01, 2022
SeriouslySense:
very true, and that is the problem, kids who are still building their foundational personality, may be stuck in that primitive idea. Their brains are very magnetic, taking every thing in, and then its stored even without their awareness, then later when they have problems in Life, they may recall that believe and try ritual killing to solve their problems, nobody knew this is their hidden belief, since they may not talk about it and explain it.

Yet their immediate environment and culture may also promote or fantasies such ideas, and the process is never explained to them or really understood, their parents do not talk in very minute details what it means, as a foundational support.

You nailed it more bro especially this our Nollywood movies and their rawness when speaking,these kids catch those words and thought it's the right thing....words like use what you have to get what you want and the likes..... These movies affects children's way of thinking, imagine kids watching adults opening smoking and all that. May God help us
Re: Money Rituals: In Defence Of Nollywood by SeriouslySense(m): 11:56am On Feb 01, 2022
That's is the point, if all that Nollywood's does is report, and not educate or inspire, then there is no value in it, seems it underestimate the power it wields.

musicwriter:
The three things that create and regulate a society are language, education, religion.
Once you get the above three wrong, you'll get disoriented and your culture would be on auto-pilot. And you'll get every other thing wrong.

If you're looking for the root cause that's it. Nollywood is just like a journalist reporting the news.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Nkoli Nwa Nsukka Part 5 & 6 / 'POWER' Starz TV Series... Fans Let's Gist / Who Is The Better Actor?odunlade Adekola Or Femi Adebayo?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.