Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,506 members, 7,816,209 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:45 AM

How Long Should An Engagement Last. - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How Long Should An Engagement Last. (2695 Views)

How Long Should We Date/court Before He Introduces Me To His Family? / Right Finger For An Engagement Ring,third Or Fourth Finger From The Thumb?? / How Long Should A Widow Mourn Her Late Husband (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Long Should An Engagement Last. by suggyspic: 2:52pm On Jun 22, 2011
Just to clarify an issue with some friends in an argument we had. how long should a man/women be engaged before getting marry. Pls nairalanders. Your valuable advice is needed cos a friend of mine said it can last as long as he wishes,  provided he does not disappoint his girl.
Re: How Long Should An Engagement Last. by MissIfe(f): 6:55pm On Jun 22, 2011
IMO, engagement means the couple already agreed (or almost) on a wedding date, so maximum 1yr engagement. I don't get the point of an engagement that would be "endless" with no plan of getting married soon. Why the ring and proposal if the man is not ready to marry soon?
Re: How Long Should An Engagement Last. by pingpong1: 7:13pm On Jun 22, 2011
6 months max. mine was 9 months from toasting to marriage. married for 7years plus now and enjoying every second of it.
Re: How Long Should An Engagement Last. by ifyalways(f): 8:37pm On Jun 22, 2011
Depends on the ages of the people involved but on average 6 is ideal.However,some people get engaged early(btwn 18 and 21) for reasons best known to them and can be excused.
Re: How Long Should An Engagement Last. by N101: 10:11am On Jun 23, 2011
Depends on the maturity of the couple. If money is an issue, they should cut their cloth to suit.

I've known people who met at 16 and got married at 21, that's different to 2 people meeting in their 20s and delaying marriage until their 30s.

Ideally, the maximum should be 2 years. If people get the "like married" thing when they aren't married and the engagement drags on, no one should be surprised. Why get married when you already get it all for nothing?
Re: How Long Should An Engagement Last. by snthesis(m): 11:16am On Jun 23, 2011
a miniumum of 10yrs and max of 50years cheesy
Re: How Long Should An Engagement Last. by suggyspic: 7:26pm On Jun 24, 2011
a miniumum of 10yrs and max of 50years.

God forbid.
Re: How Long Should An Engagement Last. by Nobody: 8:06pm On Jun 24, 2011
As long as the couple wants.
Re: How Long Should An Engagement Last. by denny4ril: 2:12pm On Oct 29, 2011
wink i do not like indefinite engagement. Reason is there is usually temptations on the way and the two couple might get tired of waiting. set the time as you desire ad get married.
Re: How Long Should An Engagement Last. by Nobody: 9:29pm On Oct 30, 2011
How long is a piece of string?
Re: How Long Should An Engagement Last. by Fhemmmy: 2:17am On Oct 31, 2011
Could be as long as it has to be, all that matters is to do it right.

(1) (Reply)

The Man Is The Head Of The Family. / My Niece Behave Badly / How Do You Cope With Sister In Laws?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.