Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,770 members, 7,809,969 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:02 PM

Sanwo-Olu: Completion Of Lekki Port Final Solution To Apapa Gridlock - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Sanwo-Olu: Completion Of Lekki Port Final Solution To Apapa Gridlock (18858 Views)

Governor Sanwo-Olu Witnesses The Arrival Of CMA CGM SCANDOLA At Lekki Port / Contractors Hand Over $1.5bn Lekki Port After Completion / Lekki Port Now At 96.65% Completion, To Begin Operations In September 2022 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Sanwo-Olu: Completion Of Lekki Port Final Solution To Apapa Gridlock by seguno2: 8:27pm On Feb 01, 2022
dynicks:
See PRESIDENTIAL MATERIALS...

Khaki and teru are now presidential materials?
When will you stop this shithole mindset When?

1 Like

Re: Sanwo-Olu: Completion Of Lekki Port Final Solution To Apapa Gridlock by Wiseoldman: 8:31pm On Feb 01, 2022
Workch:
Nope, it's not. It's a selfish reasoning.

Opening up other ports in Port Harcourt, warri, calabar and river port in Onitsha is the final solution if they are operated modestly.

This will only worsen traffic situation in Lekki/Ajah axis which is already deplorable

There are roads that lead to out of Lagos from ibeju. They don't need to come down to Ajah or 3rd main land bridge.

1 Like

Re: Sanwo-Olu: Completion Of Lekki Port Final Solution To Apapa Gridlock by naptu2: 8:34pm On Feb 01, 2022
This is for people that are mixing up the Lekki Deep Sea Port and the Dangote Port.

The Lekki Port was conceived by the Lagos State Government decades ago and it is part of the Lagos Free Trade Zone project.

The Dangote Group wanted to import some components for their refinery, but they discovered that the components were too big for Apapa Port to handle, so they built their own port in Lekki. It is not far from the Lekki Deep Sea Port and I'll show you both ports on Google Maps.

The Lekki Deep Sea port is on the left of the first screenshot. It is just below the Kellogs Factory. The Dangote Port is on the extreme right of that same map.

The second screenshot is of the Lekki Deep Sea Port.

The third screenshot is of the Dangote Port.

2 Likes

Re: Sanwo-Olu: Completion Of Lekki Port Final Solution To Apapa Gridlock by Quantumheight(m): 8:42pm On Feb 01, 2022
BESTScientist1:
Arrant nonsense, with the volume of what #owo mi da# geng collect on a daily, Lagos should be ahead of Dubai but no! Criminals in power celebrating mediocrity
Please what about your own state.any developmental project going on
Re: Sanwo-Olu: Completion Of Lekki Port Final Solution To Apapa Gridlock by Quantumheight(m): 8:44pm On Feb 01, 2022
Number1benue:

It can but they won't cause of political bias.

Why we black race don't move forward or at a slow pace.

We go good things always for the wrong reasons
I don't think it's political bias but from economic point of view.people site their business in a safe and conducive environment.
Re: Sanwo-Olu: Completion Of Lekki Port Final Solution To Apapa Gridlock by sunto: 8:46pm On Feb 01, 2022
Who are you wasting your time on, those children of sorrow only know eho to cry, they want Lagos to came and build port in Anambra senseless people

naptu2:
So let's deal with the usual arguments.

1) Why Lekki? Why not Niger Delta? Well, why not both Lekki and Niger Delta? The Lekki Port has been on the drawing board for decades and it was proposed by the Lagos State Government, but it is not the only proposed deep sea port. There's also the new Bonny Deep Sea Port https://punchng.com/construction-of-462m-bonny-deep-seaport-takes-off-this-year-npa/ and the new Ibom Deep Sea Port http://www.idsp.ak.gov.ng/

So why not Lekki?

2) There's only one road into Lekki and it will lead to problems for people living in Ajah, Lekki Phase 1, etc.

Firstly, you need to know that the port is being built in Ibeju Lekki, which is far away from Lekki Phase 1, Ajah, etc.

Secondly, you also need to know that there isn't only one way to the port. There is the Epe-Ijebu Expressway, which easily provides a link to the hinterland (through Ogun State) from the port. The Ondo State Government is also working on the Araromi-Ibeju Lekki Expressway, which will provide a link from Ibeju Lekki to Ondo State.

3) Rail lines: There are two rail lines that are meant to service that area: (a) The Green Line of the Lagos Metro system, which will run from Marina to the proposed Lekki Airport and Seaport. Provision has been made on the Eleko Road for the rail line to run on the median. There's also going to be a link from the Lagos-Calabar national line to the Lekki Port.

4) Dedicated truck lane: The road will also have a dedicated lane for trucks (just as you have your BRT lane), so that they won't cause congestion on the axis.

2 Likes

Re: Sanwo-Olu: Completion Of Lekki Port Final Solution To Apapa Gridlock by Number1benue: 9:15pm On Feb 01, 2022
Quantumheight:

I don't think it's political bias but from economic point of view.people site their business in a safe and conducive environment.

Yeah you right.

Buh it Is still political decisions they are using to make some places not safe
Re: Sanwo-Olu: Completion Of Lekki Port Final Solution To Apapa Gridlock by femmix112(m): 9:18pm On Feb 01, 2022
Echoban:

Omo6yebo. U mean Sanwo Olu should build Seaport in PortHarcourt or Cox ayam not understanding

my bad thought it's a fed project

1 Like

Re: Sanwo-Olu: Completion Of Lekki Port Final Solution To Apapa Gridlock by femmix112(m): 9:19pm On Feb 01, 2022
aribisala0:
Interesting I have plenty of family there . What part of Ikorodu?

ijede
Re: Sanwo-Olu: Completion Of Lekki Port Final Solution To Apapa Gridlock by aribisala0(m): 9:20pm On Feb 01, 2022
femmix112:

ijede
Nice one have you got a new Oba now?
Re: Sanwo-Olu: Completion Of Lekki Port Final Solution To Apapa Gridlock by Quantumheight(m): 9:29pm On Feb 01, 2022
Number1benue:

Yeah you right.

Buh it Is still political decisions they are using to make some places not safe
If you make your region boil and unsafe do you think Business will be open there.if your government squanders your resources without accounting for it and you will not ask questions n you come here to criticize the little development going on in lagos
Re: Sanwo-Olu: Completion Of Lekki Port Final Solution To Apapa Gridlock by HenryWilliams(m): 9:29pm On Feb 01, 2022
OmoEpe:

Who is this ignoramus displaying gross dumbness on social media?

Oponu, Lagos state with foreign partners own the port. The FG had to blackmail Lagos to get 5% shares in it when it saw it's viability

Can u please explain further? I'd like to know more

NO BE DANGOTE NA DANKABO

IGNORAMUS

1 Like

Re: Sanwo-Olu: Completion Of Lekki Port Final Solution To Apapa Gridlock by aribisala0(m): 9:34pm On Feb 01, 2022
femmix112:

ijede
No need to go around claiming Lagos when you obviously are not from there

Next you said you are from Ikorodu and I asked which part you said IJede?

NOBODY I repeat nobody from Ijede would tell you they are from Ikorodu
That is a blatant lie.

So I am interested .Tell us about your Oba in Ijede?

1 Like

Re: Sanwo-Olu: Completion Of Lekki Port Final Solution To Apapa Gridlock by seunayantokun(m): 9:44pm On Feb 01, 2022
tamdun:

Am sure u know this is Lagos state project or u want Lagos to build port for those state u listed? Every state should find solution to their problem

Lekki Deep Sea Port Project was awarded to Lekki Port LFTZ Enterprise Limited by Nigerian Ports Authority on a Build, Own, Operate and Transfer (BOOT) agreement. Under this agreement, LPLEL is required to develop, finance, build, operate the port for a period of 45 years and transfer it to NPA thereafter.

Lagos is a stakeholder there, no doubt but anything 'port' is a federal government stuff. That is why the Nigerian Port Authority has the say of authority on it.

Click on the below link and see how it is better:
https://constructionreviewonline.com/project-timelines/lekki-deep-sea-port-project-timeline-and-all-you-need-to-know/

So, projects similar to this one which started in 2015 can be done in other states by the federal government
Re: Sanwo-Olu: Completion Of Lekki Port Final Solution To Apapa Gridlock by porthouse7(f): 9:51pm On Feb 01, 2022
Workch:
Nope, it's not. It's a selfish reasoning.

Opening up other ports in Port Harcourt, warri, calabar and river port in Onitsha is the final solution if they are operated modestly.

This will only worsen traffic situation in Lekki/Ajah axis which is already deplorable
no port in onitsha, eastern state is all landlocked and barren

1 Like

Re: Sanwo-Olu: Completion Of Lekki Port Final Solution To Apapa Gridlock by Revolva(m): 10:01pm On Feb 01, 2022
Dashlish12:
... Shhhssh! Seek knowledge and u shall find; There's a proposed road from VI (By the Atlantic ocean) That leads to dangote refinery and straight to the "Imminent" road ( Link up Bridge still in the secondary stage) to Ondo state been constructed by the Ondo state government which leads to the south and of course the east, so before putting mouth on we islanders matter please Strive to do your homework pretty well. Thank u and remain Blessed

Well that good but bro una go hear am oo those toad can't be sufficient

Many of my guys don de complain of lekki holdup óoo Dem wa jakpa comot in d next future
Re: Sanwo-Olu: Completion Of Lekki Port Final Solution To Apapa Gridlock by Number1benue: 10:15pm On Feb 01, 2022
Quantumheight:

If you make your region boil and unsafe do you think Business will be open there.if your government squanders your resources without accounting for it and you will not ask questions n you come here to criticize the little development going on in lagos

I criticise nothing and pls you sound like you want to fight or am trying to fight you or am against you or something.

Did I take something personal from you grin grin grin.

Owner of Lagos sorry ooo grin grin

With your type Nigeria is going no where soon since you can't see pass ethnicity and tribe and region. Nigeria is bleeding from all angles and buh seem to be concerned only about you you you you
Re: Sanwo-Olu: Completion Of Lekki Port Final Solution To Apapa Gridlock by ogododo: 10:26pm On Feb 01, 2022
naptu2:

The Lagos State Government and the Federal Government are building a port in Lagos. Dangote has already built his port, but that is separate from the port that is being built by the Lagos State Government, the Federal Government and a private company.
I just commot from dat side, Ajah to Chevron na hours. Until we think sensibly, more roads needed for Lekki ends. No be only to build without planning and do more harm.
Re: Sanwo-Olu: Completion Of Lekki Port Final Solution To Apapa Gridlock by femmix112(m): 10:34pm On Feb 01, 2022
aribisala0:
No need to go around claiming Lagos when you obviously are not from there

Next you said you are from Ikorodu and I asked which part you said IJede?

NOBODY I repeat nobody from Ijede would tell you they are from Ikorodu
That is a blatant lie.

So I am interested .Tell us about your Oba in Ijede?

lol no king yet in short i am from the ruling family ajanaku the toggle of kingship is between kazeem from abisoye branch and hassan from dada eko branch of Ajanaku family but you are mad just know this grin
Re: Sanwo-Olu: Completion Of Lekki Port Final Solution To Apapa Gridlock by femmix112(m): 10:37pm On Feb 01, 2022
[quote author=Stanchem029 post=109877069][/quote]

imagine fell for this once o send my hard earned money to a fraudstar cry
Re: Sanwo-Olu: Completion Of Lekki Port Final Solution To Apapa Gridlock by Stanchem029: 12:13am On Feb 02, 2022
femmix112:

imagine fell for this once o send my hard earned money to a fraudstar cry
That's why some of us are raising serious alarms here, to avert such evil occurrences.
Re: Sanwo-Olu: Completion Of Lekki Port Final Solution To Apapa Gridlock by tollyboy5(m): 1:42am On Feb 02, 2022
Number1benue:

It can but they won't cause of political bias.

Why we black race don't move forward or at a slow pace.

We go good things always for the wrong reasons
Its a state project na!
Re: Sanwo-Olu: Completion Of Lekki Port Final Solution To Apapa Gridlock by tollyboy5(m): 1:46am On Feb 02, 2022
mmsen:

Logic for naija? lipsrsealed

They will build a seaport in Kano before they put something of value in the NIger Delta.

Its a state project lol
Re: Sanwo-Olu: Completion Of Lekki Port Final Solution To Apapa Gridlock by naptu2: 3:24am On Feb 02, 2022
ogododo:

I just commot from dat side, Ajah to Chevron na hours. Until we think sensibly, more roads needed for Lekki ends. No be only to build without planning and do more harm.

What does this project have to do with Ajah to Chevron? Do you know that the port is very far away from Ajah to Chevron? Read to the end of the thread.
Re: Sanwo-Olu: Completion Of Lekki Port Final Solution To Apapa Gridlock by naptu2: 5:01am On Feb 02, 2022
I wrote this in 2020. The Epe-Ijebu Expressway was commissioned a few months ago.

naptu2:

I think I need to explain a couple of things.

1) The refinery and in fact the entire Free Trade Zone is in Ibeju Lekki. Lekki (Phase 1 to Abraham Adesanya) is to the west of Ibeju Lekki, but all the goods that are going to go to and from the Free Trade Zone are going to be moved through the north (through Ogun), east (through Ondo) and south (through the Atlantic Ocean. Lekki Peninsula will not be significantly affected.

2) There are already facilities to move goods through the north and south of the Free Trade Zone. Dangote has built his port. There is already a road that links Epe and Ijebu Ode (in Ogun State) and there is already a lighter terminal in Epe on the Lagos Lagoon. Dangote also already has a jetty on the lagoon.

3) Ondo State, Ogun State and Lagos State are building roads to the north and east of the facility. Will they be ready before the refinery is ready? Maybe, maybe not, nobody knows, just as nobody knows if the refinery will be ready before the roads. Remember that the refinery was originally scheduled for completion in 2016, then 2018, then 2019, then 2020 and now 2021. Nobody knows if it will be ready by 2021.

4) What happened in Apapa is not a failure of planning, but rather an example of the indiscipline of Nigerians (both in and out of government).

This gridlock in Apapa did not exist when I was a kid in the '70s and '80s, so I had to ask myself what changed. I wrote this while trying to find an answer, but I need to include two things that I previously left out.

The reason that they stopped piping is because militants break open the pipelines at Arepo in Ikorodu and steal the product.

The railway system collapsed in the 1990s. C2000 Aliko Dangote made a proposal to lease vacant land at Apapa Port for his flour business. There was an outcry when he was given the land. People said that the government was favouring him. In order to appear impartial the government then gave some land at the port to Flour Mills of Nigeria. The problem is that the land that was given to Flour Mills contains a portion of the railway and they built their factory right over the railway line, so no trains could run from Ebute Metta to the port. The government is now demolishing that factory as it constructs the new standard guage line.

And I wrote this some years ago.

naptu2:
[size=14pt]Solutions to the Apapa/Surulere traffic jam[/size].

People keep trying to treat the symptoms without addressing the root cause of the problem. In 2008 I spent 3 hours on one spot on Park Lane, Apapa. The driver even suggested that I should take a motorcycle back to the island, but I refused because I wanted to study the situation. Many measures have been taken since then (deployment of naval personnel, banning of tankers, construction of more tanker parks, etc) but none of them have solved the problem.

Things weren't always this way. So what has changed and what is the solution?

1) Tankers: - Previously petroleum products came into the country through the Atlas Cove Jetty and were piped to depots at Ejigbo (Lagos), Mosimi (Ogun), Ibadan (Oyo), Ore (Ondo) and Ilorin (Kwara). This was the busiest pipeline network in the country and Atlas Cove is the biggest jetty for the reception of imported petroleum products in the country. There are other pipeline networks like the Kaduna, Minna, Suleja, Kano and Gusau network.

Tanker trucks in Ogun State went to the Mosimi Depot to load petroleum products, tankers in Oyo State went to Ibadan, tankers in Ondo went to Ore, tankers in Kwara went to Ilorin, tankers in Lagos went to Apapa and Ejigbo, etc. There were also a few private depots (especially in Lagos) that stored petroleum products on behalf of the NNPC.

The problem is that the NNPC does not trust the pipelines due to frequent incidents of pipeline vandalisation. They don't want to lose any more product/money, so they stopped piping petroleum products to the depots. Instead of piping petroleum products to the depots, tanker trucks come from as far away as Ilorin to load petroleum products in Apapa. The fact that the Kaduna Refinery has also not been functioning has meant that trucks also come from Kaduna, Kano and other places in the north to load petroleum products in Apapa. These tankers, unlike Lagos based tankers, cannot return to their base to wait for their turn to load, so they park on the streets. There was a time earlier this year when there were 6,000 out of state tankers in Lagos at the same time!

The solution is to first secure the pipelines by using technology, such as distributed accoustic sensing (DAS) to detect vandals before they attack the pipelines, using drones and CCTV cameras to identify the vandals and providing vehicles like helicopters and pickup trucks to the security forces so that they can rapidly respond to alerts. All of these should be coordinated by a properly staffed and equipped comand and control centre and the government should ensure that the vandals are prosecuted. The NNPC can then start piping products to depots again. The second necessary measure is to ban out of state trucks from loading petroleum products in Lagos. Doing this will take away half of the cause of the gridlock at Apapa.

2) Freight trucks: - Nigerians seem to be so fascinated by high speed passenger trains (MagLev lines and electric locomotives), that they've forgotten how important freight trains are. A good chunk of the traffic jams we experience can be eliminated if goods are moved by rail rather than by articulated trucks. The wear and tear that the road suffers would be minimised and the number of accidents caused by these trucks would be reduced. Businesses would also benefit from this as they would not have to pay illegal taxes and bribes that are demanded by policemen and area boys on the road. There would also be better security which would greatly minimise the problem of armed robbery on our highways.

The colonialists recognised the importance of freight trains, so they created an arm of the Lagos-Kano line that runs from the Ebute Metta junction on to the platform at the Apapa Port. Thus goods (like Dantata's groundnuts) could be moved directly from Kano to the port for export. This arm of the railway line had many sidings to industrial concerns in the Ijora and Apapa area. For example, there was a siding that ran to the old power station in Ijora (with the twin smoke stacks) so that coal could be moved by freight train from Enugu to the power station. Unfortunately some people have built over the railway line to the power station (and over some of the other lines in the area) but there are still sidings that go to Nigerian Flour Mills, Mobil, Oando, Total, etc.

The railways can also help to solve the problem of distribution of petroleum products. Petroleum products can be moved from state to state by rail tankers, rather than by tanker trucks.

I believe that one of the ways to solve the problem of the gridlock in Apapa and the degradation of the Apapa-Oworonshoki Expressway is for goods to be moved from the port primarily by trains and for trailer trucks to be banned from plying the roads between 6am-9pm.

The rail lines in the Apapa Port complex and the rail line from the Ebute Metta Junction to Apapa were rehabilitated by the AP Moeller-Maersk Group (a concessionaire at the Apapa Port) and the previous Federal Government, but users of the port complain that not enough trains have been provided to move goods out of the port. This issue must be addressed.

Indeed I think that the new ports that are being constructed across the country should also be linked by rail. I'm not sure if the blue line that's currently being constructed is dual purpose, but I think it's very important that there's a freight train service in the Ojo-Badagry area to service the new Badagry Port, the Energy City, the Agbara Industrial Estate, the car plant (VON/Stallion Motors), Alaba Markets, the Trade Fair Complex and to move goods coming from Benin Republic (by the way, I went past there last week and I was surprised at the progress that's been made on the Blue Line. The tracks had only been laid from Orile to Mile 2 the previous time I went there and the road expansion works terminated just after the Festac Bridge, but now the tracks have been laid beyond Festac and the expansion works had progressed beyond Amuwo Odofin. The rail bridge on the other side had gone beyond the Ebute Metta Creek, but I really hate what they've done to the creek). It's also important that the new Lekki Port, the Olokola Port and the Ibom Port should be linked to the national rail network.

3) Out of time goods (goods that have stayed longer than 28 days) at the Apapa and Tin Can Island ports should be moved to the Ikorodu Port by barges. This will free up space at those ports and also reduce the number of trucks on our roads. The Ikorodu Port should also be linked to the national rail newtork.

Basically, the solution to the problem is the same as the solution to the general transport problem in Lagos - mutlimodal transport. We can't keep depending on the road (for both passenger and goods transportation, but especially for transporting goods), we need to utilise and expand the rail system, the waterways, the air and even underground.

Photo of port construction in colonial Nigeria (note the railway tracks). Picture by the Nigerian Ports Authority.

Re: Sanwo-Olu: Completion Of Lekki Port Final Solution To Apapa Gridlock by anonimi: 5:20am On Feb 02, 2022
ogododo:

More roads are not needed.
Less cars/vehicles are needed to use the existing roads, with the people agreeing through their constituted authorities to tax themselves in different ways to use comfortable mass transit systems.
As oyinbos are getting wiser to be eco friendly and use bicycles plus mass transit options, we poverty riddled blacks have to be conscious of the subtle ways of dumping their used vehicles here.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Sanwo-Olu: Completion Of Lekki Port Final Solution To Apapa Gridlock by aribisala0(m): 7:31am On Feb 02, 2022
femmix112:

lol no king yet in short i am from the ruling family ajanaku the toggle of kingship is between kazeem from abisoye branch and hassan from dada eko branch of Ajanaku family but you are mad just know this grin
So tell me why you said you are from Ikorodu. Are you from Ikorodu?
Re: Sanwo-Olu: Completion Of Lekki Port Final Solution To Apapa Gridlock by ogododo: 7:53am On Feb 02, 2022
naptu2:

What does this project have to do with Ajah to Chevron? Do you know that the port is very far away from Ajah to Chevron? Read to the end of the thread.

U no live here, so you no know wasted man hours daily from Amen Estate-Lakowe-Bogije-Awoyaya, Adesanya, Ajah, Chevron, Agungi, Ikate down to Obalende. Now u want add new ports, refineries to already over pressured roads, Naptu2, u dey wiser dan dis now!
Re: Sanwo-Olu: Completion Of Lekki Port Final Solution To Apapa Gridlock by naptu2: 7:55am On Feb 02, 2022
ogododo:

U no live here, so you no know wasted man hours daily from Amen Estate-Lakowe-Bogije-Awoyaya. Now u want add new ports, refineries to already over pressured roads, Naptu2, u dey wiser dan dis now!

Who told you that? Who told you what you wrote in bold text?

Besides, you are deflecting from the question that I asked you. Answer the question I asked you first.

naptu2:

Re: Sanwo-Olu: Completion Of Lekki Port Final Solution To Apapa Gridlock by ogododo: 8:01am On Feb 02, 2022
naptu2:

Who told you that? Who told you what you wrote in bold text?

Besides, you are deflecting from the question that I asked you. Answer the question I asked you first.

Apapa dey far from Oshodi, Festac, Ijora, but de effect dey. Refinery to Ajah dey less dan 35 km, bros the road is 3 lanes each way, some points one lane, if dose trucks break down around Abijo. Railway is de option Lekki-Epe, like Lagos-Abeokuta, Lagos-Ibadan na one major road.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Describe Goodluck Jonathan In One Word / Long Queue At NNPC Mega Station Ojoo Expressway Ibadan / Akpabio Meets Obasanjo Over Jonathan’s Ambition

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.