Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,360 members, 7,812,017 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 06:25 AM

I'm So Confused On What To Do. I Need Help. - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / I'm So Confused On What To Do. I Need Help. (1146 Views)

I Have Never Been So Confused! / So Confused Right Now / My Stepmother Poured Hot Water On My Baby! I'm So Angry (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I'm So Confused On What To Do. I Need Help. by Thermidehby: 3:48am On Feb 02, 2022
A very good morning here. This is going to be a bit lengthy but, I'll try to abridge my words here.

Well, I studied biology and education in my first degree. So I applied for masters of education in evaluation and measurements in one of the prestigious uni in Nigeria and I've been given admission.

I teach in a private school and I have few home lessons I take. Though as i type I really do not have much funds to start this programme being a 25years old female teacher but I'm so keen about furthering my education before settling down.
I've been having doubts if i should go for the programme or not. My fears are:

1. I have my younger brother to cater for (he lives with me in my self contain apartment), though he has handwork (fashion designing) and a school cert holder but I've not been able to get a parmanent place where he can work for now. I've been the one shouldering all bills ever since I graduated from the university and I really do not want to bother my parents because they are not too financially buoyant and I have 4 more younger ones.

2. My friends told me not to go for the masters programme because biology education and masters of education in evaluation and measurements aren't correlating.

3. Getting to starting the programme and at the long run after finishing I'm not able to get a good paying job cause I'm putting all my savings into it and the aim is to get a better paying job and not the token I'm receiving now.

4. I might lose my Job if I get to go for the programme because I applied for a full-time programme which is just a year unlike the part-time which is close to two years. Many of my friends asked me to resign because they feel what I need now is just a little change to sustain my brother and I when I eventually start the programme. As regards me resigning from work, I'm thinking of pleading with the management if my work time can be reviewed to be a part-time job even if it involves reviewing my salary I don't mind, so as to have the remaining days to attend lectures while I still keep doing my home lessons.

I'm so so confused. Everything seems so confusing and what I need right now is just a candid advice on the best way to go about this, cause I don't want to get married before furthering my education.

1 Like

Re: I'm So Confused On What To Do. I Need Help. by Belial06: 3:55am On Feb 02, 2022
First of all, the most important thing to consider in this before making any decision. To be able to advise you I need to understand whether or if . Okay tell me this....
Are you beautiful or ugly ?

1 Like

Re: I'm So Confused On What To Do. I Need Help. by mattmogan88: 4:04am On Feb 02, 2022
Belial06:

First of all, the most important thing to consider in this before making any decision. To be able to advise you I need to understand whether or if . Okay tell me this....

Are you for real undecided

1 Like

Re: I'm So Confused On What To Do. I Need Help. by Belial06: 4:08am On Feb 02, 2022
mattmogan88:

No I am a make believe character from your imagination undecided
Re: I'm So Confused On What To Do. I Need Help. by WoundedLamb: 4:50am On Feb 02, 2022
Belial06:

What are you suggesting, sir? Seriously, the way you guys treat women is just not fair. This is excusable if you're a teenager but as an adult, it's just shameful. If this was a guy, you'd have started "my brother, focus on this or do that...". But here you are already gearing up to make mockery of this young lady's endeavors. Tomorrow, you'd be the first to say Nigerian girls don't bring anything to the table. Pity!

8 Likes

Re: I'm So Confused On What To Do. I Need Help. by WoundedLamb: 4:51am On Feb 02, 2022
@OP, my text is long. If you can't read it all, just read the bolded sentences/clauses as if other parts don't exist. That will give you a good summary.

I think the first thing to ascertain is why exactly you want to do this MSc program. You obviously don't have the luxury of doing an MSc program just because you want to have a master's degree. Therefore, I'd like to believe you're gunning for a degree in this specific course of study because there's a skill set, a career or a particular industry you're looking at. Master's degree is great especially for career oriented people. I have one in software engineering and the knowledge helps me in my day-to-day activities at work. I know people who got their master's cause they wanted to do a career switch. Some do it to get promotion at work (a master's degree could facilitate one's promotion in the public sector). Others did it to boost thier profiles for economic migration. The point here is, there should be a goal. Some people just randomly go for any course in their undergraduate program. That is not ideal, but it would be ridiculous to do the same at the master's level.

To be sure there's a goal, ask yourself these questions: has your job application ever been filtered out in the past cause of what you studied? Have you ever seen jobs specifically requesting for master's degree holders? Have you ever seen one asking for an academic background in this field you want to go into? Will the skills you'd acquire help you in a particular field you really desire to go into? If you answer no to all these questions, then it's likely that the MSc won't drastically change anything for you in terms of job search. You'd likely still be looking for a job the way you are doing now. And in that case, I'd say, whatever you want to start doing after getting your MSc, start doing that now.

On the other hand, if your desire to have a master's degree is targeted oriented like I described above and you believe there's a chance you could survive the hardship you might face while in school, then go for it. Life is all about planning and this MSc could be your own strategy. I believe you must have thought of this before seeking admission to do a full-time program. But if there's really no way you can work while studying and there's no one to help, then I don't think you have a lot of choices at the moment. It's sad but the reality is, there are millions of people out there who would have loved to further thier education if they had the resources. The only possible option for you would be to keep doing whatever you're doing now until you've saved enough to sustain you while you study and earn less.

I sincerely wish you the best!

12 Likes

Re: I'm So Confused On What To Do. I Need Help. by Belial06: 4:52am On Feb 02, 2022
[s]
WoundedLamb:

What are you suggesting, sir? Seriously, the way you guys treat women is just not fair. This is excusable if you're a teenager but as an adult, it's just shameful. If this was a guy, you'd have started "my brother, focus on this or do that...". But here you are already gearing up to make mockery of this young lady's endeavors. Tomorrow, you'd be the first to say Nigerian girls don't bring anything to the table. Pity!
[/s]

See the way you just attacked.me.based on your own perceived gender biases! undecided

Madam humor much? undecided

2 Likes

Re: I'm So Confused On What To Do. I Need Help. by WoundedLamb: 4:59am On Feb 02, 2022
mattmogan88:

Just ignore him. You have other things to worry about.

3 Likes

Re: I'm So Confused On What To Do. I Need Help. by GboyegaD(m): 5:23am On Feb 02, 2022
I am convinced your applying for the program is because it is going to be beneficial to you in the long run, if so, please go for it.
You may have to make so much sacrifice in terms of your time and convenience however, I am sure it would be worth it in the end.
Lastly, if you need to fall back on your parents, please do not hesitate to do so. It is only a phase and I am sure they would understand. There are many options for you after your Masters program. I wish you the best.

1 Like

Re: I'm So Confused On What To Do. I Need Help. by Femolacaster(m): 5:37am On Feb 02, 2022
Thermidehby:
A very good morning here. This is going to be a bit lengthy but, I'll try to abridge my words here.

Well, I studied biology and education in my first degree. So I applied for masters of education in evaluation and measurements in one of the prestigious uni in Nigeria and I've been given admission.

I teach in a private school and I have few home lessons I take. Though as i type I really do not have much funds to start this programme being a 25years old female teacher but I'm so keen about furthering my education before settling down.

1. I have my younger brother to cater for (he lives with me in my self contain apartment), though he has handwork (fashion designing) and a school cert holder but I've not been able to get a parmanent place where he can work for now. I've been the one shouldering all bills ever since I graduated from the university and I really do not want to bother my parents because they are not too financially buoyant and I have 4 more younger ones.

2. My friends told me not to go for the masters programme because biology education and masters of education in evaluation and measurements aren't correlating.

3. Getting to starting the programme and at the long run after finishing I'm not able to get a good paying job cause I'm putting all my savings into it and the aim is to get a better paying job and not the token I'm receiving now.

4. I might lose my Job if I get to go for the programme because I applied for a full-time programme which is just a year unlike the part-time which is close to two years. Many of my friends asked me to resign because they feel what I need now is just a little change to sustain my brother and I when I eventually start the programme. As regards me resigning from work, I'm thinking of pleading with the management if my work time can be reviewed to be a part-time job even if it involves reviewing my salary I don't mind, so as to have the remaining days to attend lectures while I still keep doing my home lessons.

I'm so so confused. Everything seems so confusing and what I need right now is just a candid advice on the best way to go about this, cause I don't want to get married before furthering my education.
You can actually do more research on the field you are going into in terms of its prospects.
Also, don't drop that your job for the program, you can switch to part-time. Ensure you have something that can financially keep your body and soul together.

1 Like

Re: I'm So Confused On What To Do. I Need Help. by opera1(m): 5:53am On Feb 02, 2022
Belial06:

Childish trait. If she was your sister, is this all what you need to offer her?

2 Likes

Re: I'm So Confused On What To Do. I Need Help. by frozen70(f): 7:34am On Feb 02, 2022
Belial06:

You have passion for education so you realy want to plan and get dusted before getting married

The only challenge here is, I'd you resign, how do you sponsor your self go for masters that is related to your course of study or your field

Talk with your school management, if they can consider adjusting your teaching times

Before you go ahead with your masters, make sure that you have a regular income no matter how small it is
Re: I'm So Confused On What To Do. I Need Help. by Rickmann: 7:47am On Feb 02, 2022
Thermidehby:

Must ur master course option be Education related, can't you go into the biological science part like say public health or something?

Secondly, I think it's a good idea to talk to ur employers to reschedule ur work hours. See if that works. But babe, it's going to be so tasking and stressful on you combining both.
Re: I'm So Confused On What To Do. I Need Help. by ibechris(m): 7:50am On Feb 02, 2022
Belial06:

grin angry angry angry angry angry yeye boy.
Re: I'm So Confused On What To Do. I Need Help. by Belial06: 7:51am On Feb 02, 2022
ibechris:

grin angry angry angry angry angry yeye boy.

Na wa o

You harsh o undecided
Re: I'm So Confused On What To Do. I Need Help. by Mummytoo: 9:54am On Feb 02, 2022
If u have a government job, then go for your masters!

If u don't then forget the masters

Na masters degree u go carry dey find work wey dem go pay u 30k

Save up where u are working, or if u have savings already look around your environment and start a business, be a boss !

Just my one coin

Make person no attack me o

1 Like

Re: I'm So Confused On What To Do. I Need Help. by Amanee(f): 7:59pm On Feb 02, 2022
Getting a masters in Nigeria is a no-no for me. The system is too crooked and most people have spent years on a course that should ideally take less time. If you're trying to get one to get a better job in Nigeria, I'd advise you not to waste your resources. It will not be worth it in the end.
Re: I'm So Confused On What To Do. I Need Help. by 22o62021: 8:41pm On Feb 02, 2022
You wan go waste your time

Buy a laptop and delve into a digital skill

YouTube is the best university
Re: I'm So Confused On What To Do. I Need Help. by Dailyparrot: 11:46am On Feb 03, 2022
Femolacaster:

You can actually do more research on the field you are going into in terms of its prospects.
Also, don't drop that your job for the program, you can switch to part-time. Ensure you have something that can financially keep your body and soul together.

Switching to part time is not an option as Op is financially constrained. Apart from the two years that the part time takes, part time tuition fee is thrice more expensive than full time.

Take for instance, the full time tuition fee to do masters in unilag is 139k, plus miscellaneous expenses. The tuition fee for part time is 375k plus miscellaneous.

So, you see that part time program is meant for people actually earning well, not for someone with limited financial resources.

Op, you shouldn't rush to do masters because you desire to further your education before getting married. That's not enough valid reason. You can still do your masters after getting married.

I just completed my masters degree in economics after obtaining my first degree in economics education. So, unless you have the intention to go into career teaching or lecturing in higher institutions, I don't know why you want to do your masters in education.

You will notice that nothing much will change after the masters if you can't do something different now.

Get a reason to do the masters and choose your course carefully. Do it at the best time and convenience and not when you have to make a lot of sacrifice that might hurt you.

Education does not run away. You can always get to the level that you want as far as you are ambitious.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

** / Dear Nairaland, Please Advise This Woman / Clean LG 43 Inches 4k Smart Tv For Quick Sale

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.