Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,886 members, 7,814,003 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 12:05 AM

NYSC: ‘Don’t Send Our Children To Death Zone’ - UNILAG Parents - NYSC - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / NYSC: ‘Don’t Send Our Children To Death Zone’ - UNILAG Parents (4407 Views)

Don’t Reject NYSC Corp Members, DG Appeals To Corporate Bodies / Announcement: Briefing Of Prospective Corp-members Holds July 30 At Unilag / Unilag Notice On 2014 Nysc Batch ‘a’ Mobilization Exercise Unilag Notice On 2014 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

NYSC: ‘Don’t Send Our Children To Death Zone’ - UNILAG Parents by ak47mann(m): 4:01am On Jun 23, 2011
Members of the University of Lagos Parents’ Forum have called on President Goodluck Jonathan and the National Assembly to instruct the Director-General of the National Youth Service Corps, Brig.-Gen. Maharasu Tsiga, not to post their wards to the northern part of Nigeria, which they described as “death zone.”

In a statement jointly signed by the Chairman of the forum, B. Majekodunmi, and the Secretary, Victoria Osinuga, in Lagos, the parents said they were having “unimaginable nightmares” as another posting was due in July and they feared that their wards might be posted to the North, “where their brethren met their untimely and violent death.”

The parents said, “We, the University of Lagos Parents’ Forum, humbly appeal to the President, Dr. Goodluck Jonathan, and the National Assembly to use their good offices to prevail on the Director-General of NYSC not to post our children to the northern part of this country for their national youth service.

“This request is very urgent and borne out of the fact that we, the parents of the children from the southern part of this country who were butchered to death by some hoodlums from the north for rendering selfless service to the nation, are licking our wounds.

“We take our stand against the posting of our children to the northern states of Nigeria. We want them posted either to their states of origin or within their geo-political zone. We are also calling for an urgent modification or repealing of the decree setting up the National Youth Service Corps, as we have since become a democratic nation.”

The forum recalled the post-election violence in the north, which led to the death of corps members, saying, “In some areas, religious crisis occurred, houses and churches were burnt, and innocent lives were lost in the process. These children are our investment, who had acquired knowledge over the years and for no just cause wasted away.

“It is for this reason that we want to cry out loud this time because we are in Nigeria where anything goes except someone raises an alarm and fights this just cause to a logical conclusion. As parents, it is too dangerous to be silent.”

source
punch newspaper!!!!

http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art201106232331557
Re: NYSC: ‘Don’t Send Our Children To Death Zone’ - UNILAG Parents by Nobody: 4:04am On Jun 23, 2011
Nigeria is a death zone by herself.

I wouldnt recommend Northern and SE'rn regions to any parent.
Re: NYSC: ‘Don’t Send Our Children To Death Zone’ - UNILAG Parents by ak47mann(m): 4:23am On Jun 23, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

shararp you igbo hater cool
Re: NYSC: ‘Don’t Send Our Children To Death Zone’ - UNILAG Parents by Nobody: 4:23am On Jun 23, 2011
ak47mann:

shararp you igbo hater cool

Yoruba hater, that is not nice of you.
Re: NYSC: ‘Don’t Send Our Children To Death Zone’ - UNILAG Parents by ak47mann(m): 4:26am On Jun 23, 2011
^^^
SE we are not blood thirsty people sad sad
Re: NYSC: ‘Don’t Send Our Children To Death Zone’ - UNILAG Parents by Nobody: 4:27am On Jun 23, 2011
ak47mann:

^^^
SE we are not blood thirsty people sad sad

grin

Who said such thing?
Re: NYSC: ‘Don’t Send Our Children To Death Zone’ - UNILAG Parents by Musiwa52: 5:54am On Jun 23, 2011
I will never send anyone to a place with so much risk. I think for everybody good, we just allow this set not to go.
Re: NYSC: ‘Don’t Send Our Children To Death Zone’ - UNILAG Parents by edoyad(m): 7:34am On Jun 23, 2011
Musiwa,,,:

I will never send anyone to a place with so much risk. I think for everybody good, we just allow this set not to go.
Becomericho, this is one instance i'll have to agree with you. May be they could subsequently resume but with a boycott to the violence prone areas.
Re: NYSC: ‘Don’t Send Our Children To Death Zone’ - UNILAG Parents by MrBarzini: 9:22am On Jun 23, 2011
Only fools have aversions to other tribes.
If you are a tribalist on the internet you are a fool.
Re: NYSC: ‘Don’t Send Our Children To Death Zone’ - UNILAG Parents by bay77: 9:24am On Jun 23, 2011
I think for the mean time, NYSC should be a post final year class at the universities. So you do it where you schooled or a kind of an exchange program.
Re: NYSC: ‘Don’t Send Our Children To Death Zone’ - UNILAG Parents by Nobody: 9:35am On Jun 23, 2011
Musiwa,,,:

Wow!!! for once you make sense, +1
Re: NYSC: ‘Don’t Send Our Children To Death Zone’ - UNILAG Parents by Ryabcool(m): 9:42am On Jun 23, 2011
lipsrsealed Nigeria, GOOD(?) People, GREAT(?) Nation
Re: NYSC: ‘Don’t Send Our Children To Death Zone’ - UNILAG Parents by Ryabcool(m): 9:45am On Jun 23, 2011
ak47mann:

source
punch newspaper!!!!

http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art201106232331557

God speed grin
Re: NYSC: ‘Don’t Send Our Children To Death Zone’ - UNILAG Parents by sheriffman(m): 9:48am On Jun 23, 2011
I thought this was a forgotten issue with Tsiga saying corp members will not be posted to volatile states,however I strongly feel that every corper should be posted within his or here geographical zone.
Re: NYSC: ‘Don’t Send Our Children To Death Zone’ - UNILAG Parents by sexysunnyb(m): 9:56am On Jun 23, 2011
This is simply as A B C, Let The Oduduwa's serve in the Yoruba Land, let the Massob serve in the Igbo land and let the Boko Haram's or Gboko haram,s serve in there Aboki death zone land
Re: NYSC: ‘Don’t Send Our Children To Death Zone’ - UNILAG Parents by bright007(f): 10:07am On Jun 23, 2011
**some corp members should be posted to iraq,afghanistan $ pakistan.period
Re: NYSC: ‘Don’t Send Our Children To Death Zone’ - UNILAG Parents by Nobody: 10:14am On Jun 23, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

So silly commment
Re: NYSC: ‘Don’t Send Our Children To Death Zone’ - UNILAG Parents by collinsJn(m): 10:20am On Jun 23, 2011
So D Other Parents Who 're Not Able 2 Cry Out Nko,wot Den Should Happen 2 dere Wards ?
Re: NYSC: ‘Don’t Send Our Children To Death Zone’ - UNILAG Parents by bright007(f): 10:22am On Jun 23, 2011
odiaero:

So silly commment

**northern part of nigeria?its not their fault.they often mistak the youth corpers for cows.
Re: NYSC: ‘Don’t Send Our Children To Death Zone’ - UNILAG Parents by multibabe(f): 10:48am On Jun 23, 2011
there is every need for this parents to cry out, i am still on the opinion that this NYSC scheme be scraped out because its aim as been defected along time ago.
Re: NYSC: ‘Don’t Send Our Children To Death Zone’ - UNILAG Parents by William108(m): 10:54am On Jun 23, 2011
LET EVERY CORPER SERVE IN THEIR REGION. Southerners should be shuffled within their region. Same with Northerners. Let us see if the Boko Haram will dare to kill their brothers. The Niger Delta are fighting a just cause without killing corpers. What cause will u consider as just that puts the life of corpers who were posted to better the life of their people at risk? GEJ, please hearken to our cry.
Re: NYSC: ‘Don’t Send Our Children To Death Zone’ - UNILAG Parents by Nobody: 10:59am On Jun 23, 2011
nysc was introduced to foster unity amongst nigerians,if d call by dis group is adhered to by mr president,it simply means nysc wud nt be servin the purpose for which it was created and shud as a matter of urgency be scrapped to save millions of naira been spent on d programme BUT if jonathan pays deaf ears to dis call,then i wud suggest dat iran and afganistan shud be included and corpers posted there.
Re: NYSC: ‘Don’t Send Our Children To Death Zone’ - UNILAG Parents by MMM2(m): 11:01am On Jun 23, 2011
but SE is better than north in terms of nysc.
Re: NYSC: ‘Don’t Send Our Children To Death Zone’ - UNILAG Parents by Kx: 11:05am On Jun 23, 2011
even if govt refused to live up, we cant run away from this issue.
Re: NYSC: ‘Don’t Send Our Children To Death Zone’ - UNILAG Parents by bright007(f): 11:10am On Jun 23, 2011
**wats d penalty for not being absent at the region a corper is posted?no matter how grave it may be,it is better than be roasted alive or being butchered like cows
Re: NYSC: ‘Don’t Send Our Children To Death Zone’ - UNILAG Parents by folakeojo(f): 11:21am On Jun 23, 2011
bright007:

**wats d penalty for not being absent at the region a corper is posted?no matter how grave it may be,it is better than be roasted alive or being butchered like cows

GBAM!!!
Re: NYSC: ‘Don’t Send Our Children To Death Zone’ - UNILAG Parents by philip0906(m): 11:31am On Jun 23, 2011
sick country. . .
Re: NYSC: ‘Don’t Send Our Children To Death Zone’ - UNILAG Parents by Guyman02: 12:10pm On Jun 23, 2011
I wont blame any parent who doent want their wards to serve in certain areas as a precautionary measure. It is unadvisable for a youth corp member to wear his uniform on the streets of Maiduguri under the present situation because you stand the chance of being gunned by motorcycle riding AK47 clutching Boko Haram members who may see them as Govt agents.
Many CPC supporters still view corpers as part of the rigging mechanism used to deny their Mai Gaskiya his presidential ambition.

Advice: if you must serve in some northern states, after orientation camp, dump your NYSC uniform in a bag and go to ur place of primary assignment in kaftans and probably grow a beard (bia bia) then for the ladies learn to wear the hijab (veil), free flowing trousers or wrapper, long sleeve shirts that falls below your butts and hopefully you will be fine by not attracting unnecessary attention as an arni (infidel) on yourselves.

Avoid any writeup or booklet in arabic alphabet or you will be wrongly accused of desecrating the Koran.

For you Christian preachers, please dont go around evangilizing and arguing over religious matters or you may be acused of abusing the prophet (Apostacy) and that could attract mob action.

Avoid having affairs with their daughters or you may be accused of defiling her with infidel blood, but they are happy when they see their men dating Christian ladies as they view that as a conquest with the possibility that if it leads to marriage the Christian lady will bear kids that will follow Islam (Maryam Babangida) and even be converted.

Avoid using Almajiri kids to wash and clean your clothes and house as they have the tendency to claim that you were seen cleaning your anus with a sheet from the holy book and that will spell doom.

Avoid alcohol joints as they are seen as a place of gathering for infidels that could be attacked for a reward from Allah.

Avoid INEC electoral duties.

Avoid passing through the Mosque area especially on Fridays when others are bowing and you are walking majestically across their front the Hisbah (Islamic police) may come for and you could be dealth with severely.

When you hear shouts of Allahu Akbar continuosly different from the normal call to prayer just sense trouble and make your way out of that location, it could be a call for mob action.

There are other rules that you must keep and you will have a memorable service year in the North and in the end you may even wish to remain there and pick a job.
Re: NYSC: ‘Don’t Send Our Children To Death Zone’ - UNILAG Parents by ibgreatman: 12:24pm On Jun 23, 2011
they stole my sim card here is my new number 07053100583.for those of you that does not know me am smith if you want glo free call just flash me on this 07053100583.availble to glo only.
Re: NYSC: ‘Don’t Send Our Children To Death Zone’ - UNILAG Parents by Syenite(m): 12:32pm On Jun 23, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

There she goes again. angry

The aim of establishing the NYSC scheme is already defeated.The program should be revewed.It is one of those seeds sown by the military regime that we have refused to do away with.It is begining to outlive its usefulness in our society today.Like eg what do you need all those paramilitary training for?
Re: NYSC: ‘Don’t Send Our Children To Death Zone’ - UNILAG Parents by Tolulop001(f): 12:38pm On Jun 23, 2011
Musiwa,,,:

beebee2000:

Wow!!! for once you make sense, +1

LMAO  grin grin grin

bright007:

**some corp members should be posted to iraq,afghanistan $ pakistan.period

how [b]bright [/b]of u !
Re: NYSC: ‘Don’t Send Our Children To Death Zone’ - UNILAG Parents by paraphase(m): 12:50pm On Jun 23, 2011
they stole my sim card here is my new number 07053100583.for those of you that does not know me am smith if you want glo free call just flash me on this 07053100583.availble to glo only

What do you intend to gain from this n.o.n.se.n.se you keep posting over and over again,are you a Lunatic?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Can Erros Made On My Data Be Corrected At The Nysc Headquarters? / New Nysc Director Is A Half Caste? / Early Payment Of April Allawee

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.