Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,585 members, 7,812,911 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 10:10 PM

Teacher Arrested For Pulling 12-year-old Student’s Hair (Photo) - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Teacher Arrested For Pulling 12-year-old Student’s Hair (Photo) (2449 Views)

Bells University Lecturer Shaves A Student’s Hair In Ogun State (Photos, Video) / ESUT Lecturer Cutting A Student's Hair With Razor In Class / Teacher Styles Her Hair Like Her Student's Hair To Make Her Feel Better (photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Teacher Arrested For Pulling 12-year-old Student’s Hair (Photo) by Seeksnigeria: 7:13pm On Feb 07, 2022
Update from SIGGY .ng

A teacher at Connecticut magnet school has been reportedly arrested for allegedly pulling the hair of a 12-year-old student during an altercation, Siggy reports.

The teacher is said to have pulled the student's hair at a last week, marking the fourth teacher arrested in the district since November, according to reports.

Police responded to a reported assault at the King/Robinson Inter-district Magnet School in New Haven around 3:45 p.m. Feb. 1.

During their investigation, officers said the student accused her teacher of pulling her by her hair, according to WTNH.

Jennifer Wells-Jackson, a 49-year-old veteran school teacher, was charged with risk of injury to a minor and second-degree breach of peace.

Video appears to show the teacher holding onto 12-year-old Destinique James’ hair behind her as several other students scream around her before she lets go.

The student was not seriously injured and declined medical attention, police said.

The student’s mother, Destine James, told WTNH she is disgusted by the incident. Her daughter told her that the final bell of the day had just dismissed students when the altercation occurred.

Destine said: "There’s certain things you say and there’s certain things you don’t say, there’s certain things you do and certain things you’re not supposed to do especially when dealing with people’s children. At the end of the day, there’s no justification for putting your hands on someone’s child."

New Haven Public Schools officials said the district takes the safety of its students very seriously, and that the district is fully cooperating with the investigation.

Wells-Jackson was released on a $20,000 bond and is expected to appear in court this week.

Source: SIGGY

Re: Teacher Arrested For Pulling 12-year-old Student’s Hair (Photo) by luminouz(m): 9:19pm On Feb 07, 2022
I pity the new generation of Americans. Liberalism under the guise of freedom has corrupted the fabric of their society. students can abuse a teacher, shoot a teacher and flout authority without any fear of punishment.
Whoever is behind all these manipulations of the American society is brilliant. The US can't be won from outside, so it's only logical to target her future(kids) and conquer her from the inside.

I also pity the next generation of Nigerians. We would soon be using helmets activated by retina scans to protect our skulls from mining.

6 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Teacher Arrested For Pulling 12-year-old Student’s Hair (Photo) by Mastakija(m): 10:44pm On Feb 07, 2022
Pls dont tell me thats d 12 years old girl shocked

1 Like

Re: Teacher Arrested For Pulling 12-year-old Student’s Hair (Photo) by Hick45: 11:56pm On Feb 07, 2022
Stop losing your hard earned money to frauds and scammers when you can easily bet on a 100% guaranted sure game from an European source.
If you can stake 5k,10k,20k and above on the sure single game, message on WhatsApp
|
+23490-64-16-3831
Re: Teacher Arrested For Pulling 12-year-old Student’s Hair (Photo) by WoundedLamb: 2:38am On Feb 08, 2022
luminouz:
I pity the new generation of Americans. Liberalism under the guise of freedom has corrupted the fabric of their society. students can abuse a teacher, shoot a teacher and flout authority without any fear of punishment.
Whoever is behind all these manipulations of the American society is brilliant. The US can't be won from outside, so it's only logical to target her future(kids) and conquer her from the inside.

I also pity the next generation of Nigerians. We would soon be using helmets activated by retina scans to protect our skulls from mining.

Hhmm... permit me to share my opinion on this.

So you don't think it was wrong for the teacher to pull a 12 year-old girl by her hair? Do you really think the teacher pulled her as a corrective measure or just out of uncontrolled anger? Even in Nigeria, I doubt if any parent would take it lightly. What I see playing out here is ethnocentrism. You're probably using the African standard as the ideal standard for measuring the performance of another society and it makes sense why you think that society will blow up one day. But the truth is, the US has been like this for long and they're still churning out great people, game changers. You don't hit people in places like New Zealand and Canada, yet these countries are believed to have the most polite people in the world.

It's natural for kids/teenagers to pass through a rebellious phase. This is when they become self-aware, express themselves through different means and find out where they fit in. Adults also get the chance to communicate with real personalities and guide accordingly. Hitting them like animals is a magic solution. It might make them not to do certain things out of fear, but they'd still outgrow the fear at a point or move away from home where you wouldn't see them to hit. At best, they just master ways to evade being caught doing the wrong things. At the end, you have adults whose idea of being smart is being able to get away with doing tye wrong things. Hardened, violent and angry adults with no empathy towards one another.

Any animal trainer will tell you that only those who lack creative ways of training animals resort to hitting them. If this is true for animals, why hit kids that speak your human language? Going by the final products, there's really no evidence that the Nigerian or African way of bringing up kids is any better than what you have in the western world. There are deviants in the US just like the streets of Nigeria are littered with the so-called yahoo boys, oloshos, pick-pocketers, abgeros and what have you. The American system might not be perfect but Africa is certainly not a model.

Thanks.

6 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Teacher Arrested For Pulling 12-year-old Student’s Hair (Photo) by luminouz(m): 9:11am On Feb 08, 2022
WoundedLamb:

So you don't think it was wrong for the teacher to pull a 12 year-old girl by her hair? Do you really think the teacher pulled her as a corrective measure or just out of uncontrolled anger? Even in Nigeria, I doubt if any parent would take it lightly. What I see playing out here is ethnocentrism. You're probably using the African standard as the ideal standard for measuring the performance of another society and it makes sense why you think that society will blow up one day. But the truth is, the US has been like this for long and they're still churning out great people, game changers. You don't hit people in places like New Zealand and Canada, yet these countries are believed to have the most polite people in the world.

It's natural for kids/teenagers to pass through a rebellious phase. This is when they become self-aware, express themselves through different means and find out where they fit in. Adults also get the chance to communicate with real personalities and guide accordingly. Hitting them like animals is a magic solution. It might make them not to do certain things out of fear, but they'd still outgrow the fear at a point or move away from home where you wouldn't see them to hit. At best, they just master ways to evade being caught doing the wrong things. At the end, you have adults whose idea of being smart is being able to get away with doing tye wrong things. Hardened, violent and angry adults with no empathy towards one another.

Any animal trainer will tell you that only those who lack creative ways of training animals resort to hitting them. If this is true for animals, why hit kids that speak your human language? Going by the final products, there's really no evidence that the Nigerian or African way of bringing up kids is any better than what you have in the western world. There are deviants in the US just like the streets of Nigeria are littered with the so-called yahoo boys, oloshos, pick-pocketers, abgeros and what have you. The American system might not be perfect but Africa is certainly not a model.

Thanks.
You made nice points but I still stand by my words.

She never hit that girl, so I don't know where your comparison on beating or hitting comes from.

The American system is not perfect, but I'm not comparing it to the African system at all, hence my last post conclusion. My take is that, when the grassroots are spoilt, expect your next generation to be irredeemable.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Teacher Arrested For Pulling 12-year-old Student’s Hair (Photo) by MoneyGoDrop: 1:55pm On Feb 08, 2022
It's a pity what this liberality is doing to the present crop of kids. The world will soon be ruled by rude spoiled monster babies that will make Donald Trump look like child's play.
Re: Teacher Arrested For Pulling 12-year-old Student’s Hair (Photo) by ilovewater89(f): 3:29pm On Feb 08, 2022
oyinbo people wahala
Re: Teacher Arrested For Pulling 12-year-old Student’s Hair (Photo) by angelfallz(m): 4:06pm On Feb 08, 2022
You need to pay more attention.

The US is actually collapsing on itself.
We're currently witnessing the gradual decline of the American Empire and American hegemony.

So the post you quoted is correct, America is declining.

Oops, soro I just saw it is you wounded lamb. grin

You live over there so you would definitely be blinded. Its a well known fact that the citizens of an Empire don't realise that their Empire is collapsing until it is too late. Eg the Roman citizens.

WoundedLamb:

Thanks.
Re: Teacher Arrested For Pulling 12-year-old Student’s Hair (Photo) by WoundedLamb: 4:09pm On Feb 08, 2022
angelfallz:

We're currently witnessing the gradual decline of the American Empire and American hegemony.

Yours is a different discussion. Whether the US is declining or not was never the gist of my comment. I only pointed out that their model of raising kids isn't the cause as suggested by the post I quoted. Pulling the girl's hair is simply wrong.

1 Like

Re: Teacher Arrested For Pulling 12-year-old Student’s Hair (Photo) by angelfallz(m): 4:10pm On Feb 08, 2022
Okay
WoundedLamb:

Yours is a different discussion. Whether the US is declining or not was never the gist of my comment. I only pointed out that their model of raising kids isn't the cause as suggested by the post I quoted. Pulling the girl's hair is simply wrong.
Re: Teacher Arrested For Pulling 12-year-old Student’s Hair (Photo) by TheWolfen(m): 5:36pm On Feb 08, 2022
This is pathetic.
Gone are the good old days.
Why should a student get in fight with teacher in the first place.

Same shit is happening in African society too. Rude and badly trained kids everywhere.
Re: Teacher Arrested For Pulling 12-year-old Student’s Hair (Photo) by Sterope(f): 5:49pm On Feb 08, 2022
Nigeria is much worse on that list. How can you not see it?

I bet we have more kids in cults, drugs, gambling, prostitution, poor school TIMES the poverty.

The best part is there is no accountability, no social service and no programme to address these issues.

I will be afraid what the future brings.

angelfallz:

Oops, soro I just saw it is you wounded lamb. grin

You live over there so you would definitely be blinded. Its a well known fact that the citizens of an Empire don't realise that their Empire is collapsing until it is too late. Eg the Roman citizens.

1 Like

Re: Teacher Arrested For Pulling 12-year-old Student’s Hair (Photo) by angelfallz(m): 5:53pm On Feb 08, 2022
Lol. I wasn't comparing Nigeria and the US.

Sterope:
Nigeria is much worse on that list. How can you not see it?

I bet we have more kids in cults, drugs, gambling, prostitution, poor school TIMES the poverty.

I will be afraid what the future brings.

Re: Teacher Arrested For Pulling 12-year-old Student’s Hair (Photo) by WoundedLamb: 6:34pm On Feb 08, 2022
luminouz:

You made nice points but I still stand by my words.

She never hit that girl, so I don't know where your comparison on beating or hitting comes from.

The American system is not perfect, but I'm not comparing it to the African system at all, hence my last post conclusion. My take is that, when the grassroots are spoilt, expect your next generation to be irredeemable.

@bolded: you make it look as if pulling a girl's hair is any better.

Yes, I agree the future looks gloomy everywhere. I'm only saying the way kids are raised in the US is neither a coordinated attack as suggested by your post nor necessarily worse than anywhere else. It's just a different society with a different system that has worked for them over the years. You're just viewing it from the perspective of your own culture.

Besides, each generation tend to think the coming one will be worse (and maybe it does actually get worse in some aspects) but the world keeps adapting. I'm sure the past generations said something like that too and yet here we are. cheesy

1 Like

Re: Teacher Arrested For Pulling 12-year-old Student’s Hair (Photo) by MufasaLion: 6:50pm On Feb 08, 2022
My love and respect for the United States is immeasurable.

cool cool cool
Re: Teacher Arrested For Pulling 12-year-old Student’s Hair (Photo) by WoundedLamb: 6:55pm On Feb 08, 2022
TheWolfen:
This is pathetic.
Gone are the good old days.
Why should a student get in fight with teacher in the first place.

Same shit is happening in African society too. Rude and badly trained kids everywhere.

The kid might have been rude to the teacher, but I don’t think pulling her by her hair was the right thing to do. The teacher certainly didn't do that as a corrective measure. She did that out of anger. She lost her temper and engaged the kid in a physical combat just the way she would have done with any other adult. She didn't pull her hair with the mindset of "let me pull this baby girl's hair so that she will become a better person in future smiley".

I know we like to believe that anytime an adult hits a kid, it's cause they want the child to be better. But the truth is, it's mostly out of uncontrolled anger and because they know that anything they do to the kid would be accepted as "discipline". This leaves kids at the mercy of people with different personalities (including those with anger management issues). Real discipline is premediated and goal oriented, and it doesn't need to be physical or extreme when dealing with kids in thier formative phase. I don't think there's any justification for pulling her hair and I doubt if any parent would appreciate a teacher pulling their daughter's hair like that.

Again, my opinion.

1 Like

Re: Teacher Arrested For Pulling 12-year-old Student’s Hair (Photo) by luminouz(m): 8:47pm On Feb 08, 2022
WoundedLamb:

@bolded: you make it look as if pulling a girl's hair is any better.

Yes, I agree the future looks gloomy everywhere. I'm only saying the way kids are raised in the US is neither a coordinated attack as suggested by your post nor necessarily worse than anywhere else. It's just a different society with a different system that has worked for them over the years. You're just viewing it from the perspective of your own culture.

Besides, each generation tend to think the coming one will be worse (and maybe it does actually get worse in some aspects) but the world keeps adapting. I'm sure the past generations said something like that too and yet here we are. cheesy

I don't agree with your second paragraph. It's definitely worse in the US, compared to Germany or China. Their culture was never like this in the 60s, 70s and 80s. But we can always agree to disagree.

One love
Re: Teacher Arrested For Pulling 12-year-old Student’s Hair (Photo) by WoundedLamb: 5:33am On Feb 09, 2022
luminouz:

I don't agree with your second paragraph. It's definitely worse in the US, compared to Germany or China. Their culture was never like this in the 60s, 70s and 80s. But we can always agree to disagree.

One love

I see.

Just for discussion sake, when you say it is worse in the US, what exactly are you referring to? Kid's behavior or the state of society? In my opinion, society is changing everywhere. The culture in Germany hasn't always been like this too. I grew up in Canada, and I know a lot has changed. This applies to the kids as well. Gen Z, as they're called, is very different from the millennials all over the world, Nigeria inclusive. They're bolder and more adventurous. If it's more obvious in the US, it's probably cause of the more liberal system (a sacrifice they make to produce confident adults that respect human rights) and if it's better in Germany, it certainly has nothing to do with beating kids cause this teacher would still be wrong there.

Moreover, judging by the quality of adults these kids eventually become, it is arguable whether this change is really for better or for worse. My parents said my generation would ruin Canada cause to them, we were rebellious. And yeah, we certainly have our issues, but here we are making the country proud. Our generation now believes kids of today (especially those in the US) have lost it. But I personally believe they're just coming with thier own uniqueness, good and bad. Thier courage could become a source of great advancement to the country.

This is a deviation, though an interesting one. I quoted your first comment just to mention that the teacher here had no justification for doing that to someone's child and that the American system is just different and certainly not perfect but not necessarily worse than yours.

1 Like

Re: Teacher Arrested For Pulling 12-year-old Student’s Hair (Photo) by luminouz(m): 9:48am On Feb 09, 2022
WoundedLamb:

I see.

Just for discussion sake, when you say it is worse in the US, what exactly are you referring to? Kid's behavior or the state of society? In my opinion, society is changing everywhere. The culture in Germany hasn't always been like this too. I grew up in Canada, and I know a lot has changed. This applies to the kids as well. Gen Z, as they're called, is very different from the millennials all over the world, Nigeria inclusive. They're bolder and more adventurous. If it's more obvious in the US, it's probably cause of the more liberal system (a sacrifice they make to produce confident adults that respect human rights) and if it's better in Germany, it certainly has nothing to do with beating kids cause this teacher would still be wrong there.

Moreover, judging by the quality of adults these kids eventually become, it is arguable whether this change is really for better or for worse. My parents said my generation would ruin Canada cause to them, we were rebellious. And yeah, we certainly have our issues, but here we are making the country proud. Our generation now believes kids of today (especially those in the US) have lost it. But I personally believe they're just coming with thier own uniqueness, good and bad. Thier courage could become a source of great advancement to the country.

This is a deviation, though an interesting one. I quoted your first comment just to mention that the teacher here had no justification for doing that to someone's child and that the American system is just different and certainly not perfect but not necessarily worse than yours.

What's it with you and long talks na? You wan use talk kill me ni? grin

You go get wahala o. I don move past this topic na.

Oya, what are you giving me for valentine?
Re: Teacher Arrested For Pulling 12-year-old Student’s Hair (Photo) by Nobody: 3:27pm On Feb 09, 2022
When I see the title na once I know say na western world

(1) (Reply)

Unical 5yrs Bsc Program - No Ume / Aaua Second Admission List Is Out / Ekiti State Students Scholarship 2012/13

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.