Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,083 members, 7,821,730 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 05:22 PM

Priest Suspended For Banning Igbo Songs In His Parish In Lagos - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Priest Suspended For Banning Igbo Songs In His Parish In Lagos (384 Views)

Catholic Priest, Anelu, Suspended For Banning Igbo Songs Reinstated / Catholic Church Suspends Rev James Anelu For Banning Igbo Songs In Parish / Abel Mwelwa: Zambian Priest Suspended After Married Lover Died In His House (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Priest Suspended For Banning Igbo Songs In His Parish In Lagos by nkowaputa(m): 6:28am On Feb 08, 2022
The Parish Priest of Holy Trinity Catholic Church, Ewu-Owa Gberigbe in Ikorodu, Lagos, Rev. Fr. James Anelu, has been “suspended” for banning Igbo songs and choruses in his parish.

The Catholic Archdiocese of Lagos, Alfred Martins, in a “disclaimer”, directed the priest to proceed on “an indefinite leave of absence”.

Anelu was reported to have banned Igbo songs and choruses in his parish, arguing that the excesses of Ndigbo must be contained.

It was learnt that he had angrily stopped a soul-lifting chorus during the second collection, noting that Igbos cannot keep dominating other people in his Catholic parish.

He reportedly cited the case of his Benin Diocese where Igbos dominate to the point of becoming the Bishop, allegedly claiming that the spirit of God recognises only geographical languages of the parish.

While announcing the suspension, Martins, in the letter dated February 7, said, “It has been brought to our notice that Rev Fr James Anelu, the priest-in-charge of Holy Trinity Catholic Church, Ewu-Owa, Ikorodu, made some completely unacceptable comments about Igbo songs being sung in the Church and unsavoury remarks that do not represent the Catholic church’s position on the common brotherhood of peoples of all tribes and religions.
“For this reason, he has been asked to proceed on an indefinite leave of absence to give an opportunity for a thorough investigation of all the matters relating to his ministry on the parish. The leave of absence takes effect from Tuesday, February 8, 2021, till further notice"

https://punchng.com/catholic-suspends-lagos-priest-who-banned-igbo-songs-in-parish/[sub][/sub]
Re: Priest Suspended For Banning Igbo Songs In His Parish In Lagos by nkowaputa(m): 6:30am On Feb 08, 2022
This is really sad
Re: Priest Suspended For Banning Igbo Songs In His Parish In Lagos by donbachi(m): 6:33am On Feb 08, 2022
Fvck one nigeria
Re: Priest Suspended For Banning Igbo Songs In His Parish In Lagos by tsinzu: 6:39am On Feb 08, 2022
Zoo animals will always behave like zoo animals even in church. The zoo has never been one with us and we will never be one. I'm sorry for those of us who still believe in the zoo.
Re: Priest Suspended For Banning Igbo Songs In His Parish In Lagos by Felimax(m): 6:40am On Feb 08, 2022
It will never stop him from being a priest.
The Igbos own is becoming too much and the church must do something seriously about it.
The Igbos don't own Lagos!
They should exercise their dominance in the East.
Several times they constitute nuisance in the church, if the church is not careful they will loose the authenticity of what it means to be in the mass.
For crying out loud I am in my community I want to hear my tribal songs at mass not some foreigners songs.
That was how they misbehaved when at Holy Rosary Ogba one faithful Sunday Father refused to say the entire mass in Igbo.
In the East the Igbos forbid other tribes to dominate them they will set the church on fire.
I know what I am saying.
The Catholic Church does not belong to them.
They cannot try that nonsense in Warri diocese.
Re: Priest Suspended For Banning Igbo Songs In His Parish In Lagos by DemMannaScam: 6:46am On Feb 08, 2022
Your wailing doesn't reverse his suspension tongue

[s]
Felimax:
The Igbos own is becoming too much and the church must do something seriously about it.
Several times they constitute nuisance in the church, if the church is not careful they will loose the authenticity of what it means to be in the mass.
For crying out loud I am in my community I want to hear my tribal songs at mass not some foreigners songs.
That was how they misbehaved when at Holy Rosary Ogba one faithful Sunday Father refused to say the entire mass in Igbo.
In the East the Igbos forbid other tribes to dominate them they will set the church on fire.
I know what I am saying.
[/s]
Re: Priest Suspended For Banning Igbo Songs In His Parish In Lagos by Vinstel: 6:47am On Feb 08, 2022
Such a foolish priest
Re: Priest Suspended For Banning Igbo Songs In His Parish In Lagos by Vinstel: 6:57am On Feb 08, 2022
Felimax:
I know what I am saying.
Stop talking like a fool, did you join the choir and try to teach your native songs or sing them and you were banned? A vast majority of members of catholic in that church are Igbos so why should the foolish priest be angry that igbo songs are sang in church? I have attended a church service at catholic church at a town called Ankpa in kogi state and everything including the sermon was done in the igala language because almost all members were igala and I've had such experiences at other places in the country.

1 Like

Re: Priest Suspended For Banning Igbo Songs In His Parish In Lagos by Felimax(m): 7:02am On Feb 08, 2022
DemMannaScam:
Your wailing doesn't reverse his suspension tongue

[s][/s]
Who is wailing?
You are celebrating mediocrity and you think you are making sense.
Re: Priest Suspended For Banning Igbo Songs In His Parish In Lagos by DemMannaScam: 7:06am On Feb 08, 2022
You can write another paragraph, but it wont reverse the suspension o. tongue

Felimax:

Who is wailing?
You are celebrating mediocrity and you think you are making sense.

1 Like

Re: Priest Suspended For Banning Igbo Songs In His Parish In Lagos by Felimax(m): 7:06am On Feb 08, 2022
Vinstel:

Stop talking like a fool, did you join the choir and try to teach your native songs or sing them and you were banned? A vast majority of members of catholic in that church are Igbos so why should the foolish priest be angry that igbo songs are sang in church? I have attended a church service at catholic church at a town called Ankpa in kogi state and everything including the sermon was done in the igala language because almost all members were igala and I've had such experiences at other places in the country.
Look at who is calling somebody a fool when it's obvious you stink of foolishness. All of you at Ikorodu or in the parish are Igbos does it make it your own?
Ok, because you left the East to Lagos has suddenly made Lagos your state of origin.
See foolishness in exponential order. Come Warri come try that nonsense.
Re: Priest Suspended For Banning Igbo Songs In His Parish In Lagos by Megatrix: 7:07am On Feb 08, 2022
Serves the foolish priest right.
Re: Priest Suspended For Banning Igbo Songs In His Parish In Lagos by Megatrix: 7:12am On Feb 08, 2022
Felimax:
I know what I am saying.
But you don't complain when they dominate all the monetary donations and contribution to the church .

1 Like

Re: Priest Suspended For Banning Igbo Songs In His Parish In Lagos by Felimax(m): 7:14am On Feb 08, 2022
Megatrix:

But you don't complain when they dominate all the monetary donations and contribution to the church .
See your life?
So you think it's your money that is buying you salvation?
No go ahead and continue to exhibit the kind of person you are.
Which money are you talking about? The one you made in the East or the one you made in Lagos?
Re: Priest Suspended For Banning Igbo Songs In His Parish In Lagos by Unruly7(m): 7:16am On Feb 08, 2022
OmO people carry this tribal thing for head well well oh
Re: Priest Suspended For Banning Igbo Songs In His Parish In Lagos by cremedelacreme: 7:16am On Feb 08, 2022
Felimax:
I know what I am saying.

May God have mercy on your soul. You'll soon go the way of the suspended Rev Fr.
Re: Priest Suspended For Banning Igbo Songs In His Parish In Lagos by Vinstel: 7:18am On Feb 08, 2022
Felimax:

Look at who is calling somebody a fool when it's obvious you stink of foolishness. All of you at Ikorodu or in the parish are Igbos does it make it your own?
Ok, because you left the East to Lagos has suddenly made Lagos your state of origin.
See foolishness in exponential order. Come Warri come try that nonsense.
Lol, who is this pathetic clown? I've been to churches in warri diocese and igbo songs are being sang on a daily and you're here talking trash. Why don't you go and stop the singing of igbo songs in your diocese first? You are just a bitter and hate filled nobody who is inconsequential in the scheme of things. All you can do is wail on nairaland.

3 Likes

Re: Priest Suspended For Banning Igbo Songs In His Parish In Lagos by Megatrix: 7:24am On Feb 08, 2022
Felimax:

See your life?
So you think it's your money that is buying you salvation?
No go ahead and continue to exhibit the kind of person you are.
Which money are you talking about? The one you made in the East or the one you made in Lagos?
So it's your hatred and tribalism that will buy you salvation? What kind of person are you exhibiting? You don't have any problem when your church membership is made up of majority igbo people, you don't have a problem taking their money and using it to run the church but singing igbo songs is too much for you to bear? There must be something wrong with you.
Re: Priest Suspended For Banning Igbo Songs In His Parish In Lagos by edmaraja: 7:37am On Feb 08, 2022
Premium thunder will fire that priest. Let him go and open his own church if he wants to be doing such nonsense, not in the catholic church.
Re: Priest Suspended For Banning Igbo Songs In His Parish In Lagos by Felimax(m): 7:41am On Feb 08, 2022
Megatrix:

So it's your hatred and tribalism that will buy you salvation? What kind of person are you exhibiting? You don't have any problem when your church membership is made up of majority igbo people, you don't have a problem taking their money and using it to run the church but singing igbo songs is too much for you to bear? There must be something wrong with you.
Why can't you guys deal with the hard truth?
Does your population in Lagos makes it your own?
Is this not the same reason you guys keep fighting in Kaduna?
When will you people start respecting people indigenous tribe?
Lagos is not your home.
This is the very reason Western and Northern tribes hates you people so much.
So you think the church will shut down because you are no longer bringing your okrika money?
Re: Priest Suspended For Banning Igbo Songs In His Parish In Lagos by Felimax(m): 7:43am On Feb 08, 2022
Vinstel:

Lol, who is this pathetic clown? I've been to churches in warri diocese and igbo songs are being sang on a daily and you're here talking trash. Why don't you go and stop the singing of igbo songs in your diocese first? You are just a bitter and hate filled nobody who is inconsequential in the scheme of things. All you can do is wail on nairaland.
Name the parish in Warri that your tribe is dominating.
I did not say don't sing Igbo songs but don't dominate it.
Even in daily mass at Assumption you dare not sing two straight Igbo song.

(1) (Reply)

Do You Really Understand Psalm 23:1? / Aim For The Mark / What Lead To Deborah Yakubu Death (AUDIO)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.