Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,319 members, 7,811,946 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 12:39 AM

Catholic Church Suspends Rev James Anelu For Banning Igbo Songs In Parish - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Catholic Church Suspends Rev James Anelu For Banning Igbo Songs In Parish (36497 Views)

Catholic Priest, Anelu, Suspended For Banning Igbo Songs Reinstated / Catholic Church Suspends Father Mbaka Over Row With Buhari, Followers On Rampage / Anglican Church Suspends Bishop Adepoju For Having Sex With Reverend’s Wife (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Catholic Church Suspends Rev James Anelu For Banning Igbo Songs In Parish by NaijaRoyalty(m): 7:07am On Feb 08, 2022
James Anelu

The Parish Priest of Holy Trinity Catholic Church, Ewu-Owa Gberigbe in Ikorodu, Lagos, Rev. Fr. James Anelu, has been “suspended” for banning Igbo songs and choruses in his parish.

The Catholic Archdiocese of Lagos, Alfred Martins, in a “disclaimer”, directed the priest to proceed on “an indefinite leave of absence”.

Anelu was reported to have banned Igbo songs and choruses in his parish, arguing that the excesses of Ndigbo must be contained.

It was learnt that he had angrily stopped a soul-lifting chorus during the second collection, noting that Igbos cannot keep dominating other people in his Catholic parish.

He reportedly cited the case of his Benin Diocese where Igbos dominate to the point of becoming the Bishop, allegedly claiming that the spirit of God recognises only geographical languages of the parish.

While announcing the suspension, Martins, in the letter dated February 7, said, “It has been brought to our notice that Rev Fr James Anelu, the priest-in-charge of Holy Trinity Catholic Church, Ewu-Owa, Ikorodu, made some completely unacceptable comments about Igbo songs being sung in the Church and unsavoury remarks that do not represent the Catholic church’s position on the common brotherhood of peoples of all tribes and religions.

Read Also
Overwhelming majority of Igbo don’t believe in secession, declares Ohanaeze
Yari donates 500 bags of rice, 15 cows to Igbo, Yoruba Christians in Zamfara
Orji Kalu renews call for Igbos to support Buhari
“For this reason, he has been asked to proceed on an indefinite leave of absence to give an opportunity for a thorough investigation of all the matters relating to his ministry on the parish. The leave of absence takes effect from Tuesday, February 8, 2021, till further notice

“We, therefore, urge all Catholic faithful to hold on to the faith and continue in worship of God as one big family united and not separated by language, culture, or race.”

https://punchng.com/catholic-suspends-lagos-priest-who-banned-igbo-songs-in-parish/?utm_source=top-story&utm_medium=web&amp

62 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Catholic Church Suspends Rev James Anelu For Banning Igbo Songs In Parish by NaijaRoyalty(m): 7:12am On Feb 08, 2022
That priest is irresponsible and must not be allowed anywhere close to leadership ever again

And for the records , Igbos are the main bodies of catholic church in Nigeria

401 Likes 23 Shares

Re: Catholic Church Suspends Rev James Anelu For Banning Igbo Songs In Parish by colorsofrainbow: 7:18am On Feb 08, 2022
dem just dey force this oneNigeria when true true for inside our mind we don scatter finish. Unity by force to enrich the polithiefians the more undecided

237 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Catholic Church Suspends Rev James Anelu For Banning Igbo Songs In Parish by SarkinYarki: 7:18am On Feb 08, 2022
Priest want to chase Major customers of Catholic church away? cheesy. Igbos are the fuel pump of Catholic church in Nigeria take it or leave it

352 Likes 17 Shares

Re: Catholic Church Suspends Rev James Anelu For Banning Igbo Songs In Parish by OlujobaSamuel: 7:18am On Feb 08, 2022
Lol, na so the pastor in one of the church i was attending passed a remark about another assembly of ours just because they were dominated by a particular ethnic group, I just told my wife after he left that we need a new assembly or church asap.
Awon pastor ina

126 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Catholic Church Suspends Rev James Anelu For Banning Igbo Songs In Parish by Xscape1993(m): 7:18am On Feb 08, 2022
Only God knows the heart of men.

70 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Catholic Church Suspends Rev James Anelu For Banning Igbo Songs In Parish by Truthisunique2: 7:19am On Feb 08, 2022
SarkinYarki:
Priest want to chase Major customers of Catholic church away? cheesy. Igbos are the fuel pump of Catholic church in Nigeria take it or leave it
true

But it's not about keeping anybody, it's about going against Christian values

80 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Catholic Church Suspends Rev James Anelu For Banning Igbo Songs In Parish by Ebubu: 7:20am On Feb 08, 2022
Shetemi12:

You are sick in the head. Why igbo dominate a Yoruba parish with their song that most people doesn't know. Can Yoruba dominate a parish in imo talkless of engaging in Yoruba song? That's why we can't trust this 5% people with power because they always feel entitled and bossy.
but Latin songs dominate Catholic Church and you sing it happily without it even being a Black Man language

Nicee. There shouldn’t be hatred or intolerance anywhere that there should be Love(church)

285 Likes 15 Shares

Re: Catholic Church Suspends Rev James Anelu For Banning Igbo Songs In Parish by athaboi(f): 7:20am On Feb 08, 2022
I think the priest should be checked mentally and not just suspending him! I believe that something is wrong with him mentally. A parish that you are the one in charge, even if you feel there are somethings you want to be adjusted...you don't come to the alter to say something like this. You are in charge so you can easily speak to the chore master anytime within the week about the type of mixed songs you want to be hearing during mass but booom he climbed the alter and was boldly making a derogatory comments. The truth is that all blacks especially Nigerians are racists on their own....so much hate and evil among Nigerians, no exception

207 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Catholic Church Suspends Rev James Anelu For Banning Igbo Songs In Parish by Shetemi12(m): 7:20am On Feb 08, 2022
UselessBuhari:
Lagos is not Yoruba land

It's Igbo Land... Use your drug as prescribed

59 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Catholic Church Suspends Rev James Anelu For Banning Igbo Songs In Parish by OlujobaSamuel: 7:20am On Feb 08, 2022
SarkinYarki:
You and the pastor no different. You might have done worse with this mindset in a spiritual body

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Catholic Church Suspends Rev James Anelu For Banning Igbo Songs In Parish by Nobody: 7:20am On Feb 08, 2022
He reportedly cited the case of his Benin Diocese where Igbos dominate to the point of becoming the Bishop, allegedly claiming that the spirit of God recognises only geographical languages of the parish.

I don't know why an average Edo state man has so much hatred for Igbos. They go about on Facebook and Twitter creating all forms of attacks on Igbos.

Even a priest has transferred same to a church in Lagos. You just dey hate people wey no send una...I tire oohhh

Meanwhile, my attendant In foreign churches is solely based on Sunday issues.

I can't be holier than the Archbishop.

64 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Catholic Church Suspends Rev James Anelu For Banning Igbo Songs In Parish by Allsouls: 7:23am On Feb 08, 2022
Is the Rev father insane?, Igbo are majority in every catholic parishes in Lagos, to the extent that some parishes have Igbo service.
So singing Igbo songs are now the issues?.
The Rev father will soon be hungry when Igbos leave the church.

That how trouble enters Anglican Church in FESTAC then, which leads to division among Igbo Anglican Church & Yoruba/others.
Come see crowd when Igbos started having their separate service but you can count the no of parishioners in the other one side.
The Rev father is not with his senses.

140 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Catholic Church Suspends Rev James Anelu For Banning Igbo Songs In Parish by Nobody: 7:24am On Feb 08, 2022
Igbos will never know how much they are hated in Nigeria

The hate is deep....the earlier you leave the better for you but all those doing one Nigeria only cares about political gain to ge their own share....if we all wait for all of you to take turns to get your share of the national loot how many of us will be alive....how deep would we have sunk into the hate....would we be able to still come out or would we have turned to cricket that is producing oil from its own body while its being roasted on fire?

Yesterday they called you well meaning Igbo's and good people of Igbo's all for you to help them point out those who have seen there is no hope for Igbo's in nigeria.... You help them pointed them out and they killed them off, arrested some and torturing them till today while you are doing it to show you are ONE NIGERIAN....they told you only few un-educated miscreants Igbo's are the ones that wants out of Nigeria...today YOU the educated Igbo's who showed you're a ONE NIGERIAN by pointing out to be killed your brothers and sisters who sees no future, who sees the hate on Igbo's, the injustice on Igbo's in Nigeria and decided they want out. Today you now told them YOU WANT PRESIDENCY and they are now calling both you the EDUCATED IGBO AND THE UN-EDUCATED IGBOS AND MISCREANTS IPOB

THEY NOW MAKE MOCKERY OF YOU ASKING YOU WHAT DO YOU WANT BIAFRA OR PRESIDENCY

THEY NOW CALLED YOU IPOB despite helping them point out your brothers to be killed.

Jonathan lost election they made mockery of Igbo's that we put our eggs in one basket... Told Jonathan's they are not Igbo's they are south south....the south south we stood by their brother Jonathan reminded us we are not together.

When will Igbo's realise that no matter the horse you back in Nigeria you are on your own....when will Igbo's realise the only thing holding Nigeria together is the HATRED FOR IGBOS.

152 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Catholic Church Suspends Rev James Anelu For Banning Igbo Songs In Parish by Truthisunique2: 7:25am On Feb 08, 2022
Ebubu:
but Latin songs dominate Catholic Church and you sing it happily without it even being a Black Man language

Nicee. There shouldn’t be hatred or intolerance anywhere that there should be Love(church)
you are talking to a Yoruba abdul

50 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Catholic Church Suspends Rev James Anelu For Banning Igbo Songs In Parish by Nobody: 7:26am On Feb 08, 2022
Anelu was reported to have banned Igbo songs and choruses in his parish, arguing that the excesses of Ndigbo must be contained.

It was learnt that he had angrily stopped a soul-lifting chorus during the second collection, noting that Igbos cannot keep dominating other people in his Catholic parish.

The part in bold is always being levelled at "unreasonable" Igbos universally be it Accra, Nairobi or Joburg.

Igbos will always shout when Yorubas insist their excesses in Lagos is constituting a nuisance to others. Thank God this Priest is not 'Afonja'.

17 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Catholic Church Suspends Rev James Anelu For Banning Igbo Songs In Parish by Datikwerreboi(m): 7:28am On Feb 08, 2022
OlujobaSamuel:
Lol, na so the pastor in one of the church i was attending passed a remark about another assembly of ours just because they were dominated by a particular ethnic group, I just told my wife after he left that we need a new assembly or church asap.
Awon pastor ina
Why do they actually bring all these unnecessary divisions

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Catholic Church Suspends Rev James Anelu For Banning Igbo Songs In Parish by Nobody: 7:28am On Feb 08, 2022
ezenwajosh:
Igbos will never know how much they are hated in Nigeria

The hate is deep....the earlier you leave the better for you

There is always the option for all of you Igbos to move back to the SE and remain there.

That way you will be away from Nigerians who "hate" you and be able to build your Biafra paradise exactly how you want..

Simple solution for both sides.

44 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Catholic Church Suspends Rev James Anelu For Banning Igbo Songs In Parish by TheNiceGuy(m): 7:30am On Feb 08, 2022
Ways of Christian that's only applicable in Yoruba land but NO NO in Igboland cheesy
Truthisunique2:
The novice can't even hide it

He no know the ways of Christian

4 Likes

Re: Catholic Church Suspends Rev James Anelu For Banning Igbo Songs In Parish by Nobody: 7:31am On Feb 08, 2022
TheNiceGuy:
Ways of Christian that's only applicable in Yoruba land but NO NO in Igboland cheesy

Exactly. Igbos always want from everyone what they can never give others.

23 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Catholic Church Suspends Rev James Anelu For Banning Igbo Songs In Parish by Nobody: 7:31am On Feb 08, 2022
Dsalvo:

There is always the option for all of you Igbos to move back to the SE and remain there.

That way you will be away from Nigerians who "hate" you and be able to build your Biafra paradise exactly how you want..

Simple solution for both sides.
That the my point my message is actually for those ones you have in mind too

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Catholic Church Suspends Rev James Anelu For Banning Igbo Songs In Parish by Truthisunique2: 7:32am On Feb 08, 2022
TheNiceGuy:
As far as am concerned churches in Igbo land sing Yoruba songs mfm, rccg etc all bring their yorubaness to east
Osagyefo98:

I don't know why an average Edo state man has so much hatred for Igbos. They go about on Facebook and Twitter creating all forms of attacks on Igbos.

Even a priest has transferred same to a church in Lagos. You just dey hate people wey no send una...I tire oohhh

Meanwhile, my attendant In foreign churched is solely based on Sunday issues.

I can't he holier than the Archbishop.
Always know the part of Edo that you are talking of first

Me I be esan, we dey with Igbo because we hate injustice, as you can see na ipob Dem dey call me sef on nairaland

45 Likes 3 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

Illuminati Killed Ebony Reigns - Evangelist Emmanuel Addai Reveals (video) / Pastor Adeboye Prays For The Ooni Adeyeye-Ogunwusi At His Palace (photos) / RCCG Pastor Danjuma Tafa-Balewa Dies Of COVID-19 Complications. - IDOMA VOICE

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.