Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,228 members, 7,825,890 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 05:16 AM

Britain Links Homophobia In Africa To Foreign Aid.is That The Right Thing To Do? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Britain Links Homophobia In Africa To Foreign Aid.is That The Right Thing To Do? (16412 Views)

We Don’t Need Foreign Aid – Buhari(vanguard) / Africa Needs Indigenous Investment, Not Foreign Aid - Achebe Colloquium / Foreign Aid (pros And Cons) Problems & Solutions "Help" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (19) (Go Down)

Britain Links Homophobia In Africa To Foreign Aid.is That The Right Thing To Do? by rover321: 6:02pm On Jun 23, 2011
The British Prime Minister, David Cameron, in a speech to the LGBT (lady-loving-lady man-lover Bisexual and Transgender) community in London hinted that in future it may be part of Britain’s policy to link aid with the extent to which homosexuals are treated in Africa

David Cameron -
I’m very proud of the fact we [put] huge pressure on the leader of Malawi about an issue in that country but I’m convinced we can do more. We have got the ability to speak to African leaders, African governments, about this issue that I know concerns everyone here tonight. And it concerns me.”

source: http://www.myweku.com/forum/politics/324-right-britain-withdraw-aid-countries-deems-homophobic.html

Transcript of Camerons speech pertaining to Africa and Gays: http://www.myweku.com/2011/06/britain-links-homophobia-in-africa-to-foreign-aid/
Re: Britain Links Homophobia In Africa To Foreign Aid.is That The Right Thing To Do? by EzeUche1(m): 6:05pm On Jun 23, 2011
They are trying to push their social norms on us!

Who needs their aid anyway? angry
Re: Britain Links Homophobia In Africa To Foreign Aid.is That The Right Thing To Do? by rover321: 6:13pm On Jun 23, 2011
Who needs their aid anyway?

hmm my brother, as for the aid we need it. Most of these countries couldn't balance their budgest without it
Re: Britain Links Homophobia In Africa To Foreign Aid.is That The Right Thing To Do? by OAM4J: 6:13pm On Jun 23, 2011
Rubbish!!! So to give aids they must force their stuupid way of life on us even though we dont believe in such.

Let them perish with their aids, I will rather die than sell my honour.
Re: Britain Links Homophobia In Africa To Foreign Aid.is That The Right Thing To Do? by rover321: 6:16pm On Jun 23, 2011
Rubbish!!! So to give aids they must force their stuupid way of life on us even though we dont believe in such.

The fact that we are both writing in their language alone tells me we lost that fight ages ago.
Re: Britain Links Homophobia In Africa To Foreign Aid.is That The Right Thing To Do? by EzeUche1(m): 6:18pm On Jun 23, 2011
Africa does not need their aid. The continent is the wealthiest in terms of natural resources. Why should we need aid from a resource poor continent?

Maybe we should start nationalizing our industries and see who will feel the pain more!  angry

Enough is enough with these Western cultural pressures!
Re: Britain Links Homophobia In Africa To Foreign Aid.is That The Right Thing To Do? by OAM4J: 6:19pm On Jun 23, 2011
rover321:

The fact that we are both writing in their language alone tells me we lost that fight ages ago.

But its never too late to stop losing the battle. About time for a generation that will say "enough is enough" and fight back.
Re: Britain Links Homophobia In Africa To Foreign Aid.is That The Right Thing To Do? by EzeUche1(m): 6:27pm On Jun 23, 2011
Maybe we should cut off their oil supplies and see how they feel about that.

I hate how they try to push their values on us.
Re: Britain Links Homophobia In Africa To Foreign Aid.is That The Right Thing To Do? by Calculia: 6:34pm On Jun 23, 2011
This kind of statement is typical with Britain. They believe africa is still a colony. I tell u dis people will never leave us alone and will keep enforcing their will over us. The situation is paralyzing to say the least. undecided
Re: Britain Links Homophobia In Africa To Foreign Aid.is That The Right Thing To Do? by DisGuy: 6:42pm On Jun 23, 2011
Can you imagine o!!

I think African countries should have a referendum: all citizens should be made to vote yes or no for homos

The result should be shown to the world and the result should be final: DEMOCRACY AT WORK!!
Re: Britain Links Homophobia In Africa To Foreign Aid.is That The Right Thing To Do? by Sunofgod(m): 6:51pm On Jun 23, 2011
ANGLICAN bishops attending the All Africa Bishops Conference in Entebbe have reiterated their firm stand against homosexuality.

In speeches, most of which received standing ovations, the prelates said the practice was alien and an “innovation of the truth”.

Present was the Archbishop of Canterbury, Rowan Williams, whose open support of the practice has made him the centre of attraction for the media at the conference.

The seven-day conference, at the Imperial Resort Beach Hotel, attracted over 400 bishops, a quarter of whom are from Nigeria. Participants were excited by the attendance of bishops from the Muslim countries of Sudan and Egypt.

As most clergy stood to clap at speeches critical of homosexuality, Archbishop Williams and two aides, who sat in the front row, were the only ones who remained seated.

The Rev. Canon Grace Kaiso, said the conference is expected to design strategies to curb poverty, conflict and disease on the continent.

Prayers and Bible study will be held every morning in the conference hall.
In a sermon earlier, Williams did not talk about homosexuality, an issue which has put the African church on a collision path with their Western counterparts, who have ordained gay priests.

The chairman of the Conference of African Prelates Association, Archbishop Ian Ernest, challenged the clergy to ensure that African values are not diluted with “misleading alien beliefs”.

“The time is right to address issues from an African perspective without alien impositions. We should make choices which strengthen, not weaken, the church’s credibility,” he said.

Before Christianity went to Britain, he added, there was a church in North Africa.

“So Christianity did not begin in Britain; we should counteract false ideologies that creep into the church and blur the truth,” he argued.

He said in order to maintain the integrity of the church, African bishops should never “innovate the truth”.

Addressing journalists, Archbishop Henry Luke Orombi said the Church of Uganda and the Anglican Church in Africa believes in the traditional way of marriage.

“In Uganda, homosexuality is against our culture,” Orombi said.

“We are happy that Archbishop Rowan Williams (of Canterbury) is here. We will explain to him our stand on homosexuality and engage him.”

Orombi also condemned corruption in Africa and noted that although the church was not pure, its leaders must preach against the vice.

“We cannot sit down and keep quiet as leaders continue to take away what belongs to the masses,” he said.

Opening the ceremony, Prime Minister Prof. Apolo Nsibambi praised the bishops for their stand against homosexuality, calling it the “right move”.
He asked them to be steadfast in the campaign against homosexuality.

“Africa is grappling with many intriguing problems: terrorism, homosexuality, corruption and absence of national unity. But African bishops have been exemplary in not accepting homosexuality,” Nsibambi said.

“We need exemplary leaders and followers who are not sycophantic to deal with these problems.”

The Rev. Bernard Ntahoturi of Burundi said homosexuality should not be left to the church alone to fight because it is “an issue of humanity”.

However, he called on the church to engage those who practice homosexuality rather than running away from them.

Williams had earlier urged the bishops to question the leadership in their countries to weed out corruption and bad governance.

“As bishops, we have been called to question leadership. We cannot refuse to take risk for our people. So we have not to seek safety and comfort, but risk,” he said.

Williams also commended the management of the Mild May Centre on Entebbe Road for caring for hundreds of children living with HIV/AIDS.
He visited the centre on Monday. He urged Christians to develop such a big heart.

By Cyprian Musoke,
Francis Kagolo
and John Ssemakula

http://www.newvision.co.ug/D/8/12/729779
Re: Britain Links Homophobia In Africa To Foreign Aid.is That The Right Thing To Do? by Nobody: 6:59pm On Jun 23, 2011
he who pays the piper calls the tune

as long as you are finacially dependent on some one, you are his binch
Re: Britain Links Homophobia In Africa To Foreign Aid.is That The Right Thing To Do? by rover321: 7:06pm On Jun 23, 2011
he who pays the piper calls the tune

as long as you are finacially dependent on some one, you are his binch

Ditto - Some of the most virulent anti-gays in the world are in the arab world and in the American south. The point of all this is not about whether or not we want homosexuality in our communities or not. The point is how come the Brits can order us to do what they want? next time they'll be telling us to start replacing Ewa Agonyin with fish and chips lol
Re: Britain Links Homophobia In Africa To Foreign Aid.is That The Right Thing To Do? by Ikengawo: 7:20pm On Jun 23, 2011
im sorry but any country taking AID should be ashamed of it's self, and to top it off any country giving AID has the right to chose where to send the AID to. If africans can't wake up to human rights in their country Britian waking them up is much called for.
Re: Britain Links Homophobia In Africa To Foreign Aid.is That The Right Thing To Do? by Jbenue: 8:33pm On Jun 23, 2011
Their so call "aid" is the reason africa is poor in the first place. that aid never reaches down to the homophobic african, it just goes to line the pockets of the crooked leader.
Re: Britain Links Homophobia In Africa To Foreign Aid.is That The Right Thing To Do? by MaiSuya(m): 9:02pm On Jun 23, 2011
its a dicey situation no doubt.

it is [i]their [/i]money, and they have the right to dictate the way it should be spent.

If Africans are unwilling to compromise their standards--a move which, by the way, I'm in total support of--then they should prevent, or at the very least, reduce situations that encourage our dependence on their aid. It's that simple.
Re: Britain Links Homophobia In Africa To Foreign Aid.is That The Right Thing To Do? by ektbear: 3:26am On Jun 24, 2011
Sounds fair. I wouldn't want to give my hard-earned money to bigoted countries either
Re: Britain Links Homophobia In Africa To Foreign Aid.is That The Right Thing To Do? by ChinenyeN(m): 5:20am On Jun 24, 2011
cheesy . . bigoted. . homophobia. . oh man. . grin
Re: Britain Links Homophobia In Africa To Foreign Aid.is That The Right Thing To Do? by Nobody: 2:04pm On Jun 24, 2011
That man is stupid for that
Re: Britain Links Homophobia In Africa To Foreign Aid.is That The Right Thing To Do? by blackpanda: 2:05pm On Jun 24, 2011
This is totally a welcome development. It is high time African countries stop living in abject denial. Bigotism and homophobia must give way to true freedom. Whether u like it or not, homosexuals are here to stay and there is nothing any govt of any abysmally backward country can do about it.
For those of you pretending to have "high moral standards", it will amaze you to know the number of gay Africans that flee the continents each year, seeking asylum in other continents. Many of our brothers and sisters have been forced to flee because of our general attitude towards gays.

I really hope this development comes on as soon as possible. One love !
Re: Britain Links Homophobia In Africa To Foreign Aid.is That The Right Thing To Do? by OmoTier1(m): 2:39pm On Jun 24, 2011
blackpanda:

This is totally a welcome development. It is high time African countries stop living in abject denial. Bigotism and homophobia must give way to true freedom. Whether u like it or not, homosexuals are here to stay and there is nothing any govt of any abysmally backward country can do about it.
For those of you pretending to have "high moral standards", it will amaze you to know the number of man-lover Africans that flee the continents each year, seeking asylum in other continents. Many of our brothers and sisters have been forced to flee because of our general attitude towards man-loving-men.

least you allow Satan to blind fold you and become like they which GOD struck stricken in the time past.

Who is He that blind fold you to the truth least you gave yourself to evil?

Before God in Heaven!They homosexuals shall devour thier own flesh in going into destruction.

I condemned David Cameron's speech in its entirety and just like the Arab Spring took them by surprise without the firing of one wedtern imperialist guns, so also God shall repay Britain- for she has turn Gods favour into abuse- using AID to advance the coursd of evil!

With comments like these, tell how true freedom will spread to the nations who are truly deserving freedom and democracy? -God be my witness.
Re: Britain Links Homophobia In Africa To Foreign Aid.is That The Right Thing To Do? by Sagamite(m): 2:56pm On Jun 24, 2011
When I keep on telling people on NL that say "leave homosexuals alone as they do not affect my life" that it is a cultural war, they refuse to believe.

These faggs and their supporters are not looking to be left alone, they are looking for forced acceptance.

DO NOT GIVE THEM AN INCH!

People will never have my intellect, clairvoyance and prescience!
Re: Britain Links Homophobia In Africa To Foreign Aid.is That The Right Thing To Do? by lepasharon(f): 2:57pm On Jun 24, 2011
NO NO NO!!!! to hell wit dat!! dat wat us to accept their wway of life which is fagots and lesbians!! Their influence is gonna be destroyed by Jesus Christ!!
Re: Britain Links Homophobia In Africa To Foreign Aid.is That The Right Thing To Do? by Sagamite(m): 2:58pm On Jun 24, 2011
It is not rocket science.

Tell them to shove their aid and start aligning with China!
Re: Britain Links Homophobia In Africa To Foreign Aid.is That The Right Thing To Do? by Sagamite(m): 3:02pm On Jun 24, 2011
Ikengawo:

im sorry but any country taking AID should be ashamed of it's self, and to top it off any country giving AID has the right to chose where to send the AID to. If africans can't wake up to human rights in their country Britian waking them up is much called for.

What bloody human rights?

How is homosexuality human rights?

blackpanda:

For those of you pretending to have "high moral standards", it will amaze you to know the number of man-lover Africans that flee the continents each year, seeking asylum in other continents. Many of our brothers and sisters have been forced to flee because of our general attitude towards man-loving-men.

Let them continue fleeing.

Maybe it will actually reduce the aid we need and they can carry their AIDS to the aid countries.
Re: Britain Links Homophobia In Africa To Foreign Aid.is That The Right Thing To Do? by blackpanda: 3:05pm On Jun 24, 2011
Funny how you begin ur reply to my post with themes of Death and Destruction, and then end it with freedom and democracy! shocked
The last time i checked, Nigeria(as well as most African countries) was a secular State, so if we really mean to enforce freedom and democracy, shouldnt people be allowed to live their lives the way they please? Why are u so disturbed by what two consenting adults do of their own free will? Besides, isnt the entire christian (or muslim) faith based of the admonition not to judge people lest you be judged as well?
Further, read your history books well and you would see that homosexuality in Africa actually dates back to centuries ago. It is known to have been practiced in Egypt and other older nations. Consequently, the argument that the uk is exporting its ideas is totally baseless and ridiculous!
so, my friend remove the clog in ur own eye before u aim to remove the spec in another mans'.
let us focus more on love, tolerance and acceptance. Look at the bombings and baseless human torture going on in our beloved country, all because some of us believe that our own religion/ideas
Omo_Tier1:

least you allow Satan to blind fold you and become like they which GOD struck stricken in the time past.

Who is He that blind fold you to the truth least you gave yourself to evil?

Before God in Heaven!They homosexuals shall devour thier own flesh in going into destruction.

I condemned David Cameron's speech in its entirety and just like the Arab Spring took them by surprise without the firing of one wedtern imperialist guns, so also God shall repay Britain- for she has turn Gods favour into abuse- using AID to advance the coursd of evil!

With comments like these, tell how true freedom will spread to the nations who are truly deserving freedom and democracy? -God be my witness.
is superior to others.
It is high time for change !
Re: Britain Links Homophobia In Africa To Foreign Aid.is That The Right Thing To Do? by Sagamite(m): 3:08pm On Jun 24, 2011
blackpanda:

Funny how you begin your reply to my post with themes of Death and Destruction, and then end it with freedom and democracy! shocked
The last time i checked, Nigeria(as well as most African countries) was a secular State, so if we really mean to enforce freedom and democracy, shouldnt people be allowed to live their lives the way they please? Why are u so disturbed by what two consenting adults do of their own free will? Besides, isnt the entire christian (or muslim) faith based of the admonition not to judge people lest you be judged as well?

Utter clunking rubbish.

There is no country where people live in total freedom. All lives are regulated to an extent!
Re: Britain Links Homophobia In Africa To Foreign Aid.is That The Right Thing To Do? by Nobody: 3:38pm On Jun 24, 2011
This is serious. What is this world turning into?
Re: Britain Links Homophobia In Africa To Foreign Aid.is That The Right Thing To Do? by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 3:44pm On Jun 24, 2011
koastar:

This is serious. What is this world turning into?

You are blissfully unaware that the world has gone to shii.t centuries ago. Homos are here to stay, we watch their movies, wear their clothes, listen to their music and read their poems. they are here (AFRICA) to stay Period.Point.Blank grin
Re: Britain Links Homophobia In Africa To Foreign Aid.is That The Right Thing To Do? by splashbaby(m): 3:47pm On Jun 24, 2011
The coming of the Anti Christ
Re: Britain Links Homophobia In Africa To Foreign Aid.is That The Right Thing To Do? by vladimiros: 4:14pm On Jun 24, 2011
personally

i think many africans are getting it wrong with gay people,

me i am open. but we seem to have twisted religion in a way to hate that in some countries they are killed

God does not hate the sinner, her hates the sin.

this is what we should understand
Re: Britain Links Homophobia In Africa To Foreign Aid.is That The Right Thing To Do? by OmoTier1(m): 4:16pm On Jun 24, 2011
blackpanda:

Funny how you begin your reply to my post with themes of Death and Destruction, and then end it with freedom and democracy! shocked
Further, read your history books well and you would see that homosexuality in Africa actually dates back to centuries ago. It is known to have been practiced in Egypt and other older nations. Consequently, the argument that the uk is exporting its ideas is totally baseless and ridiculous!
so, my friend remove the clog in your own eye before u aim to remove the spec in another mans'.
let us focus more on love, tolerance and acceptance. Look at the bombings and baseless human torture going on in our beloved country, all because some of us believe that our own religion/ideas is superior to others.
It is high time for change !
change for the sake of change is slavery not freedom.

Democracy is culture specific -something  the americans rejected but had to accept in iraq-

Homosexuality is alien to us and to think that this act is been forced down using the tactics of AID denial is shockking to say the list!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (19)

ICPC Interrogates Fmr IGP Mike Okiro, Others Over N275.5m Fraud / Court Sacks Senator Albert Akpan, Orders Fresh Election / CAN State Chairmen Disown ‘Northern Region Scribe’ Over Muslim-Muslim Ticket

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.