Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,359 members, 7,815,766 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:57 PM

"A Priest Angrily Bans Igbo Songs In Church - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / "A Priest Angrily Bans Igbo Songs In Church (593 Views)

Anglican Church Withdraws Sylvester Eboh's License As A Priest / Catholic Priest, Anelu, Suspended For Banning Igbo Songs Reinstated / Catholic Church Suspends Rev James Anelu For Banning Igbo Songs In Parish (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

"A Priest Angrily Bans Igbo Songs In Church by Napoleondegreat: 8:05am On Feb 08, 2022
"A Priest Angrily Bans Igbo Songs In Church.

The Parish Priest of Holy Trinity Catholic Church, Ewu-Owa Gberigbe in Ikorodu, Rev. Fr. James Anelu has banned Igbo songs and choruses in his Church.

The Priest who angrily stopped a soul lifting chorus during the second collection said the Igbos cannot keep dominating other people even in his Church.

He cited the case of his Benin Diocese where Igbos dominate to the point of becoming the Bishop in person of Akubueze.

Rev. Fr. James Anelu said that the spirit of God in any place recognises only languages indigenous to that geographical location.

On saying this, the entire congregation went up in tumultuous uproar, leading to abrupt dismissal as people massively walked out of the Mass."

Source: The News Gazette Online
Re: "A Priest Angrily Bans Igbo Songs In Church by Napoleondegreat: 8:06am On Feb 08, 2022
This is the height of igbophobia in Nigeria

1 Like

Re: "A Priest Angrily Bans Igbo Songs In Church by Napoleondegreat: 8:08am On Feb 08, 2022
Meanwhile the priest has been suspended by the bishop

1 Like

Re: "A Priest Angrily Bans Igbo Songs In Church by sinkhole: 8:11am On Feb 08, 2022
NCAN, is "Anelu" a Yoruba name?
Please, I am just asking for a friend sad
Re: "A Priest Angrily Bans Igbo Songs In Church by Pacesetterz: 8:12am On Feb 08, 2022
Hahaha
The pple walked out of the church leaving only d priest to continue priesting.

1 Like

Re: "A Priest Angrily Bans Igbo Songs In Church by haffaze777(m): 8:21am On Feb 08, 2022
grin grin Eleyi ogidi gan o

1 Like

Re: "A Priest Angrily Bans Igbo Songs In Church by peggywebbs(f): 1:30pm On Feb 08, 2022
Anyway I support him. When you go to Catholic church...the whole program is conducted in Igbo with no care for people who don't understand the language. They'll sing 20 Igbo songs, one of another language. Announcement in Igbo, prayers Igbo. Sometimes I even wonder whether I came to church. Its a good thing this Priest is speaking up for people like us.
Re: "A Priest Angrily Bans Igbo Songs In Church by Kingcalls: 2:53pm On Feb 08, 2022
peggywebbs:
Anyway I support him. When you go to Catholic church...the whole program is conducted in Igbo with no care for people who don't understand the language. They'll sing 20 Igbo songs, one of another language. Announcement in Igbo, prayers Igbo. Sometimes I even wonder whether I came to church. Its a good thing this Priest is speaking up for people like us.

U are a tribalist ...I'm sure u are one of those that say women are subjugated and whites a racists...Titus brain
Re: "A Priest Angrily Bans Igbo Songs In Church by peggywebbs(f): 6:05pm On Feb 08, 2022
How I'm I a tribalist? For complaining that I can't understand what is said in church? Is it a crime to ask they speak the general language English? What you are suggesting is that I leave the church to prove I'm more accepting.

Igbos are the number one tribalists in Nigeria and everyone knows it. Although I support the ipob agitation and Igbo presidency...I think you people should be more tolerant to others..

I won't even go on about their attitude towards inter-tribal marriage and other things that they refuse to connect with other people. And before you accuse me.. I'm Benin... so you know and we have a lot of Igbos in my family...so no bias. All my friends and Igbos... for some reason I don't keep Yoruba people close.

Kingcalls:

U are a tribalist ...I'm sure u are one of those that say women are subjugated and whites a racists...Titus brain
Re: "A Priest Angrily Bans Igbo Songs In Church by Kingcalls: 6:08pm On Feb 08, 2022
peggywebbs:
How I'm I a tribalist? For complaining that I can't understand what is said in church? Is it a crime to ask they speak the general language English? What you are suggesting is that I leave the church to prove I'm more accepting.

Igbos are the number one tribalists in Nigeria and everyone knows it. Although I support the ipob agitation and Igbo presidency...I think you people should be more tolerant to others..

I won't even go on about their attitude towards inter-tribal marriage and other things that they refuse to connect with other people. And before you accuse me.. I'm Benin... so you know and we have a lot of Igbos in my family...so no bias. All my friends and Igbos... for some reason I don't keep Yoruba people close.

Did they ever say they sermon in igbo? They said most of the songs are sang in igbo ...Read b4 commenting
Re: "A Priest Angrily Bans Igbo Songs In Church by Nvestor02: 6:09pm On Feb 08, 2022
[s]
peggywebbs:

[/s]

Bitter truth is that... Yoruba don't care about your existence... You guys are just Jealouse
Re: "A Priest Angrily Bans Igbo Songs In Church by peggywebbs(f): 6:37pm On Feb 08, 2022
Wait...did you just read what you wrote? So everything is happening I should just stare with hope that I will at least hear sermon? Its better if you said I should stay home and just listen to Father's podcasts. You won't even admit something is wrong with this arrangement.

Kingcalls:

Did they ever say they sermon in igbo? They said most of the songs are sang in igbo ...Read b4 commenting
Re: "A Priest Angrily Bans Igbo Songs In Church by peggywebbs(f): 6:39pm On Feb 08, 2022
You're not making any sense. I come from a family of mixed tribes. I wonder who is the tribalist here. We are truly not united.. whoever put Nigeria today really wanted to punish us.

Nvestor02:
[s][/s]

Bitter truth is that... Yoruba don't care about your existence... You guys are just Jealouse
Re: "A Priest Angrily Bans Igbo Songs In Church by Kingcalls: 8:01pm On Feb 08, 2022
peggywebbs:

Wait...did you just read what you wrote? So everything is happening I should just stare with hope that I will at least hear sermon? Its better if you said I should stay home and just listen to Father's podcasts. You won't even admit something is wrong with this arrangement.

U are a bloody bitter tribalist...its confirmed
Re: "A Priest Angrily Bans Igbo Songs In Church by Muna4real(f): 8:07pm On Feb 08, 2022
peggywebbs:

Did you bother to count the number of Igbos there? You might even be surprised that it was the Igbos who gathered to build that parish.
Re: "A Priest Angrily Bans Igbo Songs In Church by God2man2again(m): 12:37am On Feb 09, 2022
How true?
Re: "A Priest Angrily Bans Igbo Songs In Church by peggywebbs(f): 12:52am On Feb 09, 2022
No it was not. No church in Lagos is ever built by one tribe. Besides, counting the number of Igbos there, do you hear yourself? In a place where you have Yoruba, delta , bayelsa and other tribes represented? Why will one tribe dominate? You people are tribalists take it. All I keep seeing is Catholic church is for the Igbos.. I don't get, when did religion become one tribes affair?

Muna4real:

Did you bother to count the number of Igbos there? You might even be surprised that it was the Igbos who gathered to build that parish.
Re: "A Priest Angrily Bans Igbo Songs In Church by Muna4real(f): 9:18am On Feb 09, 2022
peggywebbs:
No it was not. No church in Lagos is ever built by one tribe. Besides, counting the number of Igbos there, do you hear yourself? In a place where you have Yoruba, delta , bayelsa and other tribes represented? Why will one tribe dominate? You people are tribalists take it. All I keep seeing is Catholic church is for the Igbos.. I don't get, when did religion become one tribes affair?

Visit the catholic churches yourself. Then you'll understand better. It's not about tribalism. Igbos full the catholic church.
Re: "A Priest Angrily Bans Igbo Songs In Church by peggywebbs(f): 10:14am On Feb 09, 2022
Duh...im a Catholic. I'm not making assumptions. Besides it's not all that are the same. I was only mentioning my experience in some branches I've been to

Muna4real:

Visit the catholic churches yourself. Then you'll understand better. It's not about tribalism. Igbos full the catholic church.

(1) (Reply)

Does The Bible Really Teach That Man Was Literally Created From Dust? / Download 'miracle No Dey Tire Jesus' + Lyrics By Moses Bliss / Satanic Witchdoctors Have Sex With Men And Kill Children

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.