Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,701 members, 7,820,450 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:09 PM

Nigerians To Own Houses For N1.5m Soon - Developers - Properties (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Nigerians To Own Houses For N1.5m Soon - Developers (19302 Views)

FG’s Mortgage Scheme Kicked Off With First Set Of 10,000 Houses / Cheap Houses For Sale In Agege New Oko Oba Rd from N6m. Check It Out... / Nigerians To Own Houses For N1.5m Soon – Developers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians To Own Houses For N1.5m Soon - Developers by COMPAQ(m): 3:59pm On Jun 24, 2011
It's not impossible, but I just doubt it. In Africa, we use way too much block, cement and concrete! Lots of American houses are made from 70% wood. I have seen documentaries on Discovery channel of low cost 2 bed (or was it 1 bed) housing in Soweto with toilet and shower and kitchen that were being put up in 2 weeks or so.

Asides from the main support pillars, why must all the internal walls be partitioned with blocks? Why not some sort of cheap, but durable material. There are materials that are as light as cardboard that can take more stress than blocks. Saw a documentary of a material that it so strong, it can stop a bullet and yet you can sew it into a suit and wear it. In the documentary, it was speculated that Obama wore a suit from that material on his inauguration day.

The technology out there is amazing, but being Nigeria, we don't look into such stuff. By now our universities should be researching ways to build lower cost houses with lighter, more durable materials and developing a process f road construction that will be more suited for our hot,wet,humid climate! But instead our civil engineering professors are teaching based on notes of the 1970's, so what do we expect??

1 Like

Re: Nigerians To Own Houses For N1.5m Soon - Developers by Toyesky: 4:18pm On Jun 24, 2011
Oga,

How many people dey fit build those big houses wey dey for pix, Niger people just need a place to hide their head.

WHO wan MANSION abi waste of money,

Those who built those type of houses have not stayed for more than 25 years, wink
Re: Nigerians To Own Houses For N1.5m Soon - Developers by mystikal(m): 4:44pm On Jun 24, 2011
@ COMPAQ, I was just about to mention the wooden interior walls thing. I would even think it will mitigate some of that internal heat
Re: Nigerians To Own Houses For N1.5m Soon - Developers by Reference(m): 5:23pm On Jun 24, 2011
grin grin grin Pie in the sky. He,he,he Nigerians love tales. Oga, we have been building houses for over a hundred years and know why the costs continue to rise. When those issues are addressed then you can begin to dream. Folks the basic and only way to reduce the price of any item in this world is to invest in its development. The building industry is multi-componented. What makes a three bedroom bungalow cost over five million now are materials as diverse as sand, gypsum, rubber, copper, steel, zinc, glass, lead, wood, porcelain, in items from electrical systems, sanitary fittings, windows, doors, roof, etc. Each of these components are independently priced and their manufacture are not in any way connected. So which of these components do the developers wish to attack and suppress.

Our buildings are expensive simply because we manufacture very little and I don't mean assemble, manufacturing so we cannot control costs, research and develop new products. You can only improve what you make. Even the humble local materials such as timber are terribly expensive. Typical timber roofs can cost any thing up to a million to instal. Look at the picture in the feature article again. That roof is a granular coated iron/zinc alloy going for anything up to 5,000 per square metre. Which part for that we dey make. How we go fit reduce that cost by four. Impossible. Together with the timber carcass underneath I bet it cost close to a million and a half.

That is the reality. No investment, no manufacturing base, no possibility of cost reduction. All this alchemy business is killing us. Na only hard work dey bring money.
Re: Nigerians To Own Houses For N1.5m Soon - Developers by fm7070: 6:04pm On Jun 24, 2011
Has anyone thought about using clays as blocks?
Or mixture of Limestomes with sand?
We need to think well,
Re: Nigerians To Own Houses For N1.5m Soon - Developers by ezeagu(m): 6:07pm On Jun 24, 2011
fm7070:

We need to think well,

Great thinker up here.
Re: Nigerians To Own Houses For N1.5m Soon - Developers by swiftycool(m): 6:24pm On Jun 24, 2011
fm7070:

We need to think well,
duh! old story, for clay to be able to form properly & last long as bricks or blocks they need to be fired and this makes it more expensive. clay blocks r sold in Oregun Lagos n is more expensive. the cheapest alternative is laterite moulded wit specific machines & tecnology. goggle Bolyn construction & discova
Re: Nigerians To Own Houses For N1.5m Soon - Developers by marjo: 6:36pm On Jun 24, 2011
Reference you hit the nail on the head. we keep on saying cement, cement as if it is only cement they use to build a house. in fact putting up the basic structure is not the issue it is the finishing that will kill you especially sanitary wares. windows etc. what will they do of Omo onile who charge you at every major stage : foundation, decking, roofing, putting up your wall and gate , i tire for this country .as for documents to show true and complete possession let us not even go there angry so this 1.5 thing i am waiting
Re: Nigerians To Own Houses For N1.5m Soon - Developers by Ikengawo: 6:41pm On Jun 24, 2011
why is everyone being ignorant and scared of plastic?

do you not drink water from a plastic bag? If your mother not selling akara and yam with waterproof?
Re: Nigerians To Own Houses For N1.5m Soon - Developers by Ikengawo: 6:43pm On Jun 24, 2011
It's not impossible, but I just doubt it. In Africa, we use way too much block, cement and concrete! Lots of American houses are made from 70% wood. I have seen documentaries on Discovery channel of low cost 2 bed (or was it 1 bed) housing in Soweto with toilet and shower and kitchen that were being put up in 2 weeks or so.

Asides from the main support pillars, why must all the internal walls be partitioned with blocks? Why not some sort of cheap, but durable material. There are materials that are as light as cardboard that can take more stress than blocks. Saw a documentary of a material that it so strong, it can stop a bullet and yet you can sew it into a suit and wear it. In the documentary, it was speculated that Obama wore a suit from that material on his inauguration day.

The technology out there is amazing, but being Nigeria, we don't look into such stuff. By now our universities should be researching ways to build lower cost houses with lighter, more durable materials and developing a process f road construction that will be more suited for our hot,wet,humid climate! But instead our civil engineering professors are teaching based on notes of the 1970's, so what do we expect??

Nigerians are master home builders. nothing is done cause they're stupid or out of date. If you build a house with wood in igboland for instance termintes would devour it, and cement keeps a house cool in brutal heat, also, humidity doesn't eat away cement the way it does everything else, so what your seeing is actually what you nigerians to do: build climate appropriate houses.
Re: Nigerians To Own Houses For N1.5m Soon - Developers by swiftycool(m): 7:01pm On Jun 24, 2011
Ikengawo:

why is everyone being ignorant and scared of plastic?

do you not drink water from a plastic bag? If your mother not selling akara and yam with waterproof?
so u are comfortable to live in a house dat can catch fire or be destroyed by a mistakenly unestinguished match stick, cigerette butt, melted up candle stick etc. remember water wont kill a fire fueled by plastic o!
Re: Nigerians To Own Houses For N1.5m Soon - Developers by homecash1(m): 7:32pm On Jun 24, 2011
This is the best news at least salary earners can now own good homes at lower cost, Remember SALARY IS SLAVERY
Re: Nigerians To Own Houses For N1.5m Soon - Developers by Fhemmmy: 8:01pm On Jun 24, 2011
Will wait till i see it happen
Re: Nigerians To Own Houses For N1.5m Soon - Developers by AmAlone: 8:38pm On Jun 24, 2011
I think this is very nice!!!!
But seriously, if we are looking it the other way,
I dont think this is going to be save!!!
Remember in Nigeria, one of our biggest problem is
security!!! Even with block house, we still have
burglary windows. as if that is not enough, now people are using
security/bullet proof doors just because of our harsh Oga's.

Its very okay sha. but thief go use people do yeye oohh!!!
But the good go sha pass the bad sure!!!!

What I can add to this development is that
We sure will need a quality fire fighters anywhere we have lots of these houses
and of course a security post!!
Peace o
Re: Nigerians To Own Houses For N1.5m Soon - Developers by odumchi: 8:52pm On Jun 24, 2011
tpia@:

if you're not familiar with nigerian architecture then you'll just have to take my word for it, but these are some snapshots from the web:

[img]http://gatewaynigeria.tv/relocate/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/housing_ex.jpg[/img]

[img]http://4.bp..com/_3gMIBxs7Kzs/Sgd2PKZKlgI/AAAAAAAAACU/NdmJoGRFweQ/s400/LAGOS+HOUSES.jpg[/img]

Houses like that range around N30 million. So what kind of a house costs 1.5M? Even village bungalows are not that cheap.
Re: Nigerians To Own Houses For N1.5m Soon - Developers by dustydee: 10:11pm On Jun 24, 2011
Good. Dangote and co will not be happy o.
Re: Nigerians To Own Houses For N1.5m Soon - Developers by Oscillation(m): 10:39pm On Jun 24, 2011
Government should try more to push down cement price so that people can take their destinies by their own hands. Can this profit oriented mogul stop seizing opportunity to exploit poor masses, soon after this development government will start diverting huge funds to fight highly lethal plastic warfare with some antiquated fire fighters. wink cheesy cry cry grin
Re: Nigerians To Own Houses For N1.5m Soon - Developers by Tyche(m): 10:58pm On Jun 24, 2011
swiftycool:

yeah right! If any technology has been rejected by the educated western world take it down to ignorant dumb & broke Naija which has no building regulations!
imagine plastic houses in a country where 80% depend on candles, lanterns & unclothed stoves for lighting & cooking, plus the very likely possibility of electric sparks due to millions of fake electronics/electricals gladly accepted in to our boarders, yet we hav a fire service that cant even fight simple fire-wood fires, abegi make una wake up bo

You have said everything.
Re: Nigerians To Own Houses For N1.5m Soon - Developers by ezeagu(m): 12:00am On Jun 25, 2011
tpia@:

if you're not familiar with nigerian architecture then you'll just have to take my word for it, but these are some snapshots from the web:

[img]http://gatewaynigeria.tv/relocate/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/housing_ex.jpg[/img]

[img]http://4.bp..com/_3gMIBxs7Kzs/Sgd2PKZKlgI/AAAAAAAAACU/NdmJoGRFweQ/s400/LAGOS+HOUSES.jpg[/img]

I was looking for Nigerian architecture, not a bad remix of American/Mediterranean/Neo-Roman architecture.
Re: Nigerians To Own Houses For N1.5m Soon - Developers by tiwola: 12:10am On Jun 25, 2011
Re: Nigerians To Own Houses For N1.5m Soon - Developers by mayjil: 1:13am On Jun 25, 2011
I suppose some of you have also watched same documentary and news on how those same patako houses in the west, especially here in America get washed way in the floord, blown away by the wind, easily destroyed by fire, I can go on and on.

Again most of these homes need and have to be continously remodeled, this is not so with the African/Nigerian homes. I think we should stick with our cememt and blocks.
Re: Nigerians To Own Houses For N1.5m Soon - Developers by DisGuy: 1:28am On Jun 25, 2011
As beautiful and expensive that house in the middle looks, I'm guessing it doesnt have any garden or outdoor play area for the kids angry

When you watch Nollywood, you see rich man squeezing out of their cars- the whole space has been used up!!

and whats with the new craze columns or pillars undecided

Most houses look like they've been copied from somewhere and similar to each other like theyve been using the same architects
Re: Nigerians To Own Houses For N1.5m Soon - Developers by MMM2(m): 6:04am On Jun 25, 2011
I dont think it will work in 9ja.
Re: Nigerians To Own Houses For N1.5m Soon - Developers by swiftycool(m): 6:23am On Jun 25, 2011
ezeagu:

I was looking for Nigerian architecture, not a bad remix of American/Mediterranean/Neo-Roman architecture.
Thank u my learned bro, let the ignorant know that all those are copied architecture, True Nigerian Architecture should take its origin from traditional designs modenised & perculiar to Naija, our Architects today just copy d Whites & basterdise temple columns, creating designs with no concept. anyone can do it
Re: Nigerians To Own Houses For N1.5m Soon - Developers by demoheart: 4:38pm On Jun 25, 2011
2million possible!!! nd it will be good house!!
Re: Nigerians To Own Houses For N1.5m Soon - Developers by lastpage: 7:06pm On Jun 25, 2011
Wetin concern me sef? if dem like, let them build house with Rafia Palm! Na today?

The annoying thing is that in Nigeria, They rush to "Print" when nothing CONCRETE has even been done!
Why not wait till you have a finished prototype, before all this useless yarns?

1.5million kooo, #15naira niii.
Re: Nigerians To Own Houses For N1.5m Soon - Developers by lucabrasi(m): 8:12pm On Jun 25, 2011
Thank GOD for some common sense at last and I believe this is long overdue.in an era Where developErs,architects are mindful of the environmental impact of materials used in building we are still using tons of concrete to construct both external and internal stud Walls.for people talking about safety it is either you have not travelled abroad or if you have,then probably not seen the modern environmentally friendly way of building in western world.my only concern is if the cement cartel heAded by dangote will allow this to sail through and not use one of his minions in govt to block the initiativep
Re: Nigerians To Own Houses For N1.5m Soon - Developers by Nobody: 8:27pm On Jun 25, 2011
Dis Guy:

As beautiful and expensive that house in the middle looks, I'm guessing it doesnt have any garden or outdoor play area for the kids angry

When you watch Nollywood, you see rich man squeezing out of their cars- the whole space has been used up!!

and whats with the new craze columns or pillars undecided

Most houses look like they've been copied from somewhere and similar to each other like theyve been using the same architects

I wouldnt blame that on the houses tho.

Nigerian men tend to be on the XL side.
Re: Nigerians To Own Houses For N1.5m Soon - Developers by DisGuy: 8:30pm On Jun 25, 2011
Sorry, I mean squeeze past their cars, the parking space left if too narrow. but yea big belly syndrome
Re: Nigerians To Own Houses For N1.5m Soon - Developers by missdee1(f): 8:35pm On Jun 25, 2011
could this be TRUE undecided undecided undecided
Re: Nigerians To Own Houses For N1.5m Soon - Developers by lastpage: 10:01pm On Jun 25, 2011
@lucabrasi
for people talking about safety it is either you have not travelled abroad or if you have,then probably not seen the modern environmentally friendly way of building in western world.
Dont mind them, they have "traveled abroad", its only that they have no seen where a Fire-Engine comes to put out the fire with an EMPTY TANK!
Or arrive after the damned house has completely burned down
grin grin
Not even anywhere in the "U.K of Abroad"! kiss (Winks and sets fire to his plastic house!) grin

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Where Is The Safest Place In Nigeria To Have Landed Properties? / Roofing Materials-nigeria / Magodo Land Dispute: Our Story, By Shangisha Landlord’s Association

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.