Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,134 members, 7,814,973 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:09 AM

Man Explains How Removing Nigerian Name From CV Got Him UK Job Offers - Jobs/Vacancies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Man Explains How Removing Nigerian Name From CV Got Him UK Job Offers (35057 Views)

How Removing My Nigerian Name From CV Got Me Job Offers In The UK – Man Narrates / Sacked By Konga, Customer Service Rep Gets 30 Job Offers On Twitter In 24 Hours / N-power Explains How To Check Pre-selection Status (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Man Explains How Removing Nigerian Name From CV Got Him UK Job Offers by Angelfrost(m): 12:46pm On Feb 10, 2022
safarigirl:

So, your father agreed to be called out of his name, for what reason?

Thank God my father did not give me any slave name.

Anybody that cannot pronounce my native name as is, should not bother addressing me. I did not come to make anything easier for the descendants of colonizers.

You can imagine the mentality of your fellow countrymen...

If we can make the effort to pronounce foreign names without subjecting the bearer to humiliation, it can't be too much to ask that they do the same. It's called courtesy!

Most Nigerians within and out there have no dignity or self worth! It makes me cringe the way they willingly submit themselves to such unacceptable practices.

5 Likes

Re: Man Explains How Removing Nigerian Name From CV Got Him UK Job Offers by FrenchXpert(f): 12:46pm On Feb 10, 2022
Enemyofpeace:
how do you say come make we fok in French?

You say « Je suis stupide »

1 Like

Re: Man Explains How Removing Nigerian Name From CV Got Him UK Job Offers by iswallker(m): 12:46pm On Feb 10, 2022
Rubbish - what's dufficult to pronounce in inein

tongue
Re: Man Explains How Removing Nigerian Name From CV Got Him UK Job Offers by IPIGSRMUMUS: 12:46pm On Feb 10, 2022
alsudan:
In Buharis Nigeria, the only name that gets you a job is Sani Abdulrasheed and the likes.

Say no to meth and cannibalism. The sad effects are all over NL.
Re: Man Explains How Removing Nigerian Name From CV Got Him UK Job Offers by Olagrey: 12:48pm On Feb 10, 2022
twosquare:
Lol...if they can pronounce Schwarzenegger right, they should be able to pronounce yours right and other African names. But of course, we all know they are pretending and passing across a message that "you don't matter or we don't give a f.uck"

That's obodo oyinbo for you.

International freelancers can relate to that man's story. It's the truth no matter how some try to deny it. Change your name and country flag, and boom...orders, hires, and contract jobs stampede into your coffers in their multiples... grin grin cheesy

Are you in need of proof of fund or know someone who needs it, kindly chat or call me on 0 8 0 xxxx8 7 xxxxx 8 0 xxxx8 3 xxxxx6 9
Re: Man Explains How Removing Nigerian Name From CV Got Him UK Job Offers by frog12: 12:48pm On Feb 10, 2022
lie or incompetent. na him mind dey play with him. his CV was not attractive.
Re: Man Explains How Removing Nigerian Name From CV Got Him UK Job Offers by Drella(m): 12:49pm On Feb 10, 2022
ednut1:
After name barrier , accent own still dey.

You never see people wey dey form accent without leaving Nigeria before.

I can fake a british accent just because I do watch BkChatLdn show on youtube.
Within 3 months in the UK,I can convert it to a real accent.
Re: Man Explains How Removing Nigerian Name From CV Got Him UK Job Offers by Angelfrost(m): 12:49pm On Feb 10, 2022
ThinkSmarter:
It is not about Nigeria, it is about your tribal name so difficult to pronounce.
I am Igbo but i find names of Edo/benin, urhobo/isoko, Tiv and some Ijaw name difficult to pronounce.

They would not be difficult to pronounce if you paid better attention.

Once I ask the name bearer to pronounce it for me, it becomes simple.

Don't toe the path of slavery!!! African names are beautiful and easy to pronounce once you are taught.

2 Likes

Re: Man Explains How Removing Nigerian Name From CV Got Him UK Job Offers by frog12: 12:50pm On Feb 10, 2022
don't mind am. him mind dey play with him. i suspect it was because him CV was not attractive

Angelfrost:
I find this report disgustingly fallacious...

I have lots of friends working in the UK and Europe who don't even have an English name, nor did they ever adopt any.

How many Philippines, Pakistan, Vietnam, etc, nationals adopted English or foreign names prior to getting employed for their skills?!! Maybe y'all should look at the names they bear.

You can shorten the name for easier pronunciation, but not completely jettison it! For what na?!!

2 Likes

Re: Man Explains How Removing Nigerian Name From CV Got Him UK Job Offers by Drella(m): 12:50pm On Feb 10, 2022
FrenchXpert:

French teacher no wan Bleep oh grin grin grin
Re: Man Explains How Removing Nigerian Name From CV Got Him UK Job Offers by Angelfrost(m): 12:54pm On Feb 10, 2022
twosquare:
Lol...if they can pronounce Schwarzenegger right, they should be able to pronounce yours right and other African names. But of course, we all know they are pretending and passing across a message that "you don't matter or we don't give a f.uck"

That's obodo oyinbo for you.

International freelancers can relate to that man's story. It's the truth no matter how some try to deny it. Change your name and country flag, and boom...orders, hires, and contract jobs stampede into your coffers in their multiples... grin grin cheesy

You have stated the harsh and sad truth... It's not that they can't pronounce the name(s), they just don't want to be bothered because they have such low regard for the nation to begin with.

Greece, Russia, etc, have far harder names, but they rush to hire them without such nonsense excuse.

1 Like

Re: Man Explains How Removing Nigerian Name From CV Got Him UK Job Offers by NaBanga: 12:54pm On Feb 10, 2022
Be proud of who you are. If you can pronounce Jeblowski and Ashley, you can pronounce our African names. I just keep repeating it with them until they get it right. I don't let them get away with it. kiss

1 Like

Re: Man Explains How Removing Nigerian Name From CV Got Him UK Job Offers by alizma: 1:01pm On Feb 10, 2022
alsudan:
In Buharis Nigeria, the only name that gets you a job is Sani Abdulrasheed and the likes.

Not everywhere in Nigeria. There is a part of Nigeria where you need to put those Sani and co in silence if you must get through at ease. Some years back, I had to switch first name for last name too.
Re: Man Explains How Removing Nigerian Name From CV Got Him UK Job Offers by treatise: 1:01pm On Feb 10, 2022
ijustdey:

https://guardian.ng/news/how-removing-native-name-from-my-cv-got-me-uk-job-offers-nigerian/

Did you mean his bio wouldn't contain place of birth or high school attended (possibly in Nigeria)?
Re: Man Explains How Removing Nigerian Name From CV Got Him UK Job Offers by aeronot(m): 1:03pm On Feb 10, 2022
ThinkSmarter:
It is not about Nigeria, it is about your tribal name so difficult to pronounce.
I am Igbo but i find names of Edo/benin, urhobo/isoko, Tiv and some Ijaw name difficult to pronounce.
and when an Edo priest said igbo songs are too many in his parish, your people start to vex.. Na wa
Re: Man Explains How Removing Nigerian Name From CV Got Him UK Job Offers by Edipet(m): 1:08pm On Feb 10, 2022
FrenchXpert:

that is "you are stupid"
Tell him the correct translation
Re: Man Explains How Removing Nigerian Name From CV Got Him UK Job Offers by lexy2014: 1:11pm On Feb 10, 2022
ijustdey:

https://guardian.ng/news/how-removing-native-name-from-my-cv-got-me-uk-job-offers-nigerian/

But what he has said is a case of discrimination. He is being discriminated against and it's supposed to be taken up. If na ordinary can Dem kick, we no go hear word
Re: Man Explains How Removing Nigerian Name From CV Got Him UK Job Offers by BigDawsNet: 1:12pm On Feb 10, 2022
safarigirl:

So, your father agreed to be called out of his name, for what reason?

Thank God my father did not give me any slave name.

Anybody that cannot pronounce my native name as is, should not bother addressing me. I did not come to make anything easier for the descendants of colonizers.

Slave name ?

Anyway my dad made a decision to make use of his first name only.. anywhere, any location... even tho he haz a clean English name...

The new name they gave him wasn't Official and its not in his documents or record...
It's more of a nickname.... And I believe he loves it....
Re: Man Explains How Removing Nigerian Name From CV Got Him UK Job Offers by Litmus: 1:13pm On Feb 10, 2022
ThinkSmarter:

It's not this either. Op was being mischievous since I don't want to label him a liar in what he means to imply. He intends to imply or feed the notion that there is some universal boycotting of Nigerians in line with what he may secretly desire.

Truth is, Muslims, Asians, Africans generally all have on many occasions complained of this same issue. The implication is that UK employers are prejudiced against minorities and ethnic groups. The applicant's name identifies thire gender, fate, nationality, origins and so on. Applicants that are from minority ethnic backgrounds have allged , occasionally, that they tend to receive more invitations for job interviews when they change their names to European sounding ones than they do when they use thire ethnic or Islamic names.

An applicant, having thusly broken through the interview invitation barrier, may then go on to so impress the Employer at the interview they get the job in spite of the Employer's prior prejudices and reticence that the applicant was deceptive by altering thire names in the first instance.
Re: Man Explains How Removing Nigerian Name From CV Got Him UK Job Offers by BigDawsNet: 1:17pm On Feb 10, 2022
Drella:

My surname,middle name and first name is native.
You can't even pronounce my surname correctly as a Nigerian if you're not from my state.

Can this be a problem if I leave Nigeria?

Cc BigDawsNet

Are you from edo state?

Back to your question
Your surname, first name, last name will not denial you the authorization to apply for a visa for any country...

The consular is not required to learn how to pronounce your name... He or she only need to confirm the names on your visa application tally with your passport...

Then on your own part...as long as you can speak English and express your self... You have got no issue...

When you land...if you want, you can decide to give yourself an official English...

It's a marra of choice tho

Goodluck

1 Like

Re: Man Explains How Removing Nigerian Name From CV Got Him UK Job Offers by Legendguy(m): 1:18pm On Feb 10, 2022
Enemyofpeace:
imafidon means I am a mafia don
Na u Kno o
Re: Man Explains How Removing Nigerian Name From CV Got Him UK Job Offers by iTearHerToto: 1:19pm On Feb 10, 2022
ivolt:

Who is Afonja?
You angry
Re: Man Explains How Removing Nigerian Name From CV Got Him UK Job Offers by kokomilala(m): 1:21pm On Feb 10, 2022
@Angelfrost,I agree with you 100%
Re: Man Explains How Removing Nigerian Name From CV Got Him UK Job Offers by Angelfrost(m): 1:24pm On Feb 10, 2022
kokomilala:
@Angelfrost,I agree with you 100%

Respect sir!!!
Re: Man Explains How Removing Nigerian Name From CV Got Him UK Job Offers by uvie66: 1:30pm On Feb 10, 2022
ThinkSmarter:
the thing weak me weytin consign Nigeria with this situation now, the name INIEN can originate from any country in the world. Me na the same UK I dey, and my surname na Akpoghene, typical urobho, name. I have my qualifications, experience and have been working full time over ten years. I had never find it difficult getting a job. Sri Lanka citizens have names that are very difficult to pronounce and they don't change it for easy pronunciation.
It all boils down to demand and supply. If you were a neurosurgeon now you wouldn't find it difficult getting a job compared to working for the council. I beg, guy don't change your name or your accent because that is the only identity you have.

1 Like

Re: Man Explains How Removing Nigerian Name From CV Got Him UK Job Offers by axeman10(m): 1:35pm On Feb 10, 2022
Dreambeat:
True, dem don mispronounce mine tire but I no send dem. They even attempted to shorten my name to something that sounds English I still refused to accept that. Una must learn to pronounce my name by force

Exactly... I think that's with most humans generally. Even in Nigeria, you will hear a Yoruba man butcher igbo names and vice versa.

I bet, if you are a super star, celebrity or someone in position of authority, people will learn to pronounce your name even if your name is 'Xyftshhdty'.
Re: Man Explains How Removing Nigerian Name From CV Got Him UK Job Offers by ivolt: 1:44pm On Feb 10, 2022
iTearHerToto:
You angry
Here is what you posted:

For now all my afonja brothers with sweet names let's gather here
The question shouldn't be too hard since you already claimed to be one and
even have brothers too.
Who is afonja?
Re: Man Explains How Removing Nigerian Name From CV Got Him UK Job Offers by SKINDOGGY: 1:54pm On Feb 10, 2022
I never see dem have an issue pronouncing Russians name or none speaking English European names
Re: Man Explains How Removing Nigerian Name From CV Got Him UK Job Offers by TempleHouse: 1:58pm On Feb 10, 2022
It’s just an inferiority complex of your skin and not your name !?

Imagine John Gaiscogne changing his name in Nigeria if he’s an expatriate

The typical Black man want acceptance in the white community rather than stands for what you are !!!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Man Explains How Removing Nigerian Name From CV Got Him UK Job Offers by TheOmoney(m): 2:00pm On Feb 10, 2022
Dreambeat:
True, dem don mispronounce mine tire but I no send dem. They even attempted to shorten my name to something that sounds English I still refused to accept that. Una must learn to pronounce my name by force

U no need job then grin
Re: Man Explains How Removing Nigerian Name From CV Got Him UK Job Offers by Mozenge1: 2:01pm On Feb 10, 2022
Legendguy:

My surname is imafidon and it's very easy to pronounce.
Most Nigerians use to think I'm not Nigerian because of my name and I'm from Edo state.

Which Nigerians?

You way come from owan
Re: Man Explains How Removing Nigerian Name From CV Got Him UK Job Offers by Kwestionair: 2:08pm On Feb 10, 2022
900warriorz:
My Country is not a curse...take it or leave it

We shall be great again angry

Was your country ever great?
I believe there was a chance at being great but never was there a time your country was great. Stop deceiving yourself.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Five Jobs That Will Be Extinct By 2028 / P & G Employment Test Sample Questions / Army Recruitment: Concerns As South East Fails To Fill Quota

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.