Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,129 members, 7,814,945 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:08 AM

Man Explains How Removing Nigerian Name From CV Got Him UK Job Offers - Jobs/Vacancies (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Man Explains How Removing Nigerian Name From CV Got Him UK Job Offers (35056 Views)

How Removing My Nigerian Name From CV Got Me Job Offers In The UK – Man Narrates / Sacked By Konga, Customer Service Rep Gets 30 Job Offers On Twitter In 24 Hours / N-power Explains How To Check Pre-selection Status (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Man Explains How Removing Nigerian Name From CV Got Him UK Job Offers by Nobody: 8:06pm On Feb 10, 2022
Drella:

This name changing y'all are talking about,is it changing it officially on all documents or just changing the name you tell people you bear?
Good questions, if you change officially you must change all documents, but still retain the original name but it wouldn't show on your new documents, the previous name would still stay on files by deed poll, the original name you have changed from.. i am sure you understand what i mean.

Technically the name hasn't changed.

If it's just an Alias name then that means nothing.

In my case i just filled in forms (for the heck of it) with an English last name didn't present any documents to proof it.. co's i wasn't gonna waste time and all the paper works afterall it isn't my real last name.. you know what i mean.
Re: Man Explains How Removing Nigerian Name From CV Got Him UK Job Offers by Nobody: 8:22pm On Feb 10, 2022
Nuttella:
They are not serious at all, if they can call russian names, I wonder why they can't call your name, what an awesome excuse.
If they can pronounce Polish, Pakistani, Turkish, Bangladeshi, Srilankan or even Ghanian name
They can pronounce nigerian names. cheesy
Re: Man Explains How Removing Nigerian Name From CV Got Him UK Job Offers by Nobody: 8:24pm On Feb 10, 2022
Drella:

If you have an Oyinbo friend,tell him/her to pronounce:
Oghogho (edo name)
Akpenvwoghene (Urhobo name)
Anyikamba (Igbo name)
Mowaninuolaoluwa (Yoruba name)

Tell me how they won't wanna avoid such names.
what da fork! grin grin grin this would be difficult for me even though i am a black man. grin
Re: Man Explains How Removing Nigerian Name From CV Got Him UK Job Offers by Nobody: 8:26pm On Feb 10, 2022
nextstep:
Bull. Lots of Nigerians in UK have great jobs using their Nigerian names. Abi you wan tell me that Folake Adelakun or Ubani Okafor don't get hired? If Oyinbo can pronounce Cholmondely, Leicester, or Wriothesley, then surely, Inein is no problem.
The guy lives in Wales that probarbly made it worst, The Welsh can barely speak English **joke** grin let alone.
Re: Man Explains How Removing Nigerian Name From CV Got Him UK Job Offers by Nobody: 8:30pm On Feb 10, 2022
Angelfrost:
I find this report disgustingly fallacious...

I have lots of friends working in the UK and Europe who don't even have an English name, nor did they ever adopt any.

How many Philippines, Pakistan, Vietnam, etc, nationals adopted English or foreign names prior to getting employed for their skills?!! Maybe y'all should look at the names they bear.

You can shorten the name for easier pronunciation, but not completely jettison it! For what na?!!
My nigerian friend with last name Nwokedi was able to gain employment. Another with last name Adigwe works at the Home office. Even names like Chakrabati is not problem.

But the OP mentioned that he lives in Wales, the Welsh can barely speak English let alone.. cheesy
Re: Man Explains How Removing Nigerian Name From CV Got Him UK Job Offers by Nobody: 8:39pm On Feb 10, 2022
jrusky:
Mr man you are liar it hasn't got to that so pls stop all these embarrassing statement.

Nigerians are doing great in UK working as Doctors, Nurses scientist, pilot, millitary, bankers, technologist, IT expert, politician sports etc so pls bro you are a liar. If you are sure of what you are saying give the name of the company within a minute I will dig you out its a promise.

Nigerian ain't doing bad in UK Mr man. Ok.
I don't think he is saying that nigerians are not doing bad, he is talking about his own experience. Living in Wales. In the cities like London ofcourse, nigerians are doing fine..

Have you been to a place in scotland called Dumfries? Go there and look for a job see if they will employ you.
Re: Man Explains How Removing Nigerian Name From CV Got Him UK Job Offers by Nobody: 9:31pm On Feb 10, 2022
Dreambeat:
True, dem don mispronounce mine tire but I no send dem. They even attempted to shorten my name to something that sounds English I still refused to accept that. Una must learn to pronounce my name by force
Funny enough they don't say such nonsense to Germans or Russians. It's always difficult when a black man is involved.
Re: Man Explains How Removing Nigerian Name From CV Got Him UK Job Offers by smallsmall: 12:41am On Feb 11, 2022
ThinkSmarter:
It is not about Nigeria, it is about your tribal name so difficult to pronounce.
I am Igbo but i find names of Edo/benin, urhobo/isoko, Tiv and some Ijaw name difficult to pronounce.

It is about Nigeria, our image and the toxic stories of Corruption that emanate form our dear country, on a daily basis.
Most Countries just hate to hear that word "Nigeria", even within African Countries, just see the way they treat Nigerians? See Ghana for gorund here sef?

If they can pronounce German Names, Norwegian Names, Chinese Names, l bet you, they can pronounce any Nigerian name.
Re: Man Explains How Removing Nigerian Name From CV Got Him UK Job Offers by calcal: 1:24am On Feb 11, 2022
dawnomike:
Inien Is representing...
the zoo
Re: Man Explains How Removing Nigerian Name From CV Got Him UK Job Offers by Nobody: 7:49am On Feb 11, 2022
Senioreddy:

Hi Nutella
I sent you DM. I need to ask you sth
I have already replied you.
Re: Man Explains How Removing Nigerian Name From CV Got Him UK Job Offers by Drella(m): 7:19pm On Feb 11, 2022
gypsey:
Good questions, if you change officially you must change all documents, but still retain the original name but it wouldn't show on your new documents, the previous name would still stay on files by deed poll, the original name you have changed from.. i am sure you understand what i mean.

Technically the name hasn't changed.

If it's just an Alias name then that means nothing.

In my case i just filled in forms (for the heck of it) with an English last name didn't present any documents to proof it.. co's i wasn't gonna waste time and all the paper works afterall it isn't my real last name.. you know what i mean.

Yeah I get.

Way to go.
Even Nigerians find it difficult to pronounce my name,let alone foreigners grin
Worst of all,I only have native names and no english name.
Re: Man Explains How Removing Nigerian Name From CV Got Him UK Job Offers by Drella(m): 7:23pm On Feb 11, 2022
gypsey:
what da fork! grin grin grin this would be difficult for me even though i am a black man. grin

grin grin grin
Re: Man Explains How Removing Nigerian Name From CV Got Him UK Job Offers by smallsmall: 10:59pm On Feb 11, 2022
Angelfrost:

You can imagine the mentality of your fellow countrymen...

If we can make the effort to pronounce foreign names without subjecting the bearer to humiliation, it can't be too much to ask that they do the same. It's called courtesy!

Most Nigerians within and out there have no dignity or self worth! It makes me cringe the way they willingly submit themselves to such unacceptable practices.

From time immemorial, there are some Blacks who wish they had a White Skin or are Caucasian.
They foolishly, l must say, see their blackness as a curse.
They even work against the interest of their fellow Black men. They snitch on fellow Black Slaves.

That is the origin of the phrase "House Niggar".
He is a Niggar but because he hates his own color and would betray his own pwople, the Slave Master allows him to sleep in the "Ante Room" of the Master's House. grin

All these guys here saying they will change their Father's name (and in so doing, erase their identity and culture), just to please their White Master, are nothing but Modern-day "House Niggars".
I really feel sorry for them.
Re: Man Explains How Removing Nigerian Name From CV Got Him UK Job Offers by Angelfrost(m): 4:25am On Feb 12, 2022
smallsmall:

From time immemorial, there are some Blacks who wish they had a White Skin or are Caucasian.
They foolishly, l must say, see their blackness as a curse.
They even work against the interest of their fellow Black men. They snitch on fellow Black Slaves.

That is the origin of the phrase "House Niggar".
He is a Niggar but because he hates his own color and would betray his own pwople, the Slave Master allows him to sleep in the "Ante Room" of the Master's House. grin

All these guys here saying they will change their Father's name (and in so doing, erase their identity and culture), just to please their White Master, are nothing but Modern-day "House Niggars".
I really feel sorry for them.

Such a shame... I pity them also.
Re: Man Explains How Removing Nigerian Name From CV Got Him UK Job Offers by tyinfinity: 10:09am On Jan 22, 2023
Foreign firms would prefer Tinubu To obi
Re: Man Explains How Removing Nigerian Name From CV Got Him UK Job Offers by alphanyx: 1:00am On Mar 26, 2023
Contact please...
FrenchXpert:
That’s understandable. Sometimes you have to do what you have to do.

Anyway, if you are interested in learning French under six months, you can contact me.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Five Jobs That Will Be Extinct By 2028 / Army Recruitment: Concerns As South East Fails To Fill Quota / P & G Employment Test Sample Questions

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.