Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,136 members, 7,814,975 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:18 AM

Man Explains How Removing Nigerian Name From CV Got Him UK Job Offers - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Man Explains How Removing Nigerian Name From CV Got Him UK Job Offers (35058 Views)

How Removing My Nigerian Name From CV Got Me Job Offers In The UK – Man Narrates / Sacked By Konga, Customer Service Rep Gets 30 Job Offers On Twitter In 24 Hours / N-power Explains How To Check Pre-selection Status (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Man Explains How Removing Nigerian Name From CV Got Him UK Job Offers by Nobody: 12:18pm On Feb 10, 2022
Ok
Re: Man Explains How Removing Nigerian Name From CV Got Him UK Job Offers by Valuepaints20(m): 12:19pm On Feb 10, 2022
Lol
Re: Man Explains How Removing Nigerian Name From CV Got Him UK Job Offers by Dannyfan(m): 12:20pm On Feb 10, 2022
The one has lost his self esteem

1 Like

Re: Man Explains How Removing Nigerian Name From CV Got Him UK Job Offers by OgunkeelAllMod: 12:21pm On Feb 10, 2022
Jungle republic! Rere Run!
Re: Man Explains How Removing Nigerian Name From CV Got Him UK Job Offers by itsene: 12:22pm On Feb 10, 2022
ThinkSmarter:
It is not about Nigeria, it is about your tribal name so difficult to pronounce.
I am Igbo but i find names of Edo/benin, urhobo/isoko, Tiv and some Ijaw name difficult to pronounce.
Know when to keep quiet, my friend.
Re: Man Explains How Removing Nigerian Name From CV Got Him UK Job Offers by Angelfrost(m): 12:24pm On Feb 10, 2022
I find this report disgustingly fallacious...

I have lots of friends working in the UK and Europe who don't even have an English name, nor did they ever adopt any.

How many Philippines, Pakistan, Vietnam, etc, nationals adopted English or foreign names prior to getting employed for their skills?!! Maybe y'all should look at the names they bear.

You can shorten the name for easier pronunciation, but not completely jettison it! For what na?!!

6 Likes

Re: Man Explains How Removing Nigerian Name From CV Got Him UK Job Offers by kokomilala(m): 12:25pm On Feb 10, 2022
I don't buy his story. This equation is too easy. If he so distinguished himself to such an extent that he became excellent,employers would -out of necessity- learn how to pronounce his name. Excellence levels all forms of prejudice- real or presumed. For instance,Arsenal's former goal keeper's name,Szeceny or whatever.Clubs,important ones ,still signed him.
Re: Man Explains How Removing Nigerian Name From CV Got Him UK Job Offers by Bahamas95(m): 12:26pm On Feb 10, 2022
I am sure they won't have problem with Greek names.......Yeye people.

1 Like

Re: Man Explains How Removing Nigerian Name From CV Got Him UK Job Offers by ivolt: 12:28pm On Feb 10, 2022
iTearHerToto:
Afonja names are the best cool Even in Antarctica submit CV you'll get employed

Our only problem is mining but we still dey curb am small small sha. By the time Buhari steps down I believe it'll subside amen smiley

For now all my afonja brothers with sweet names let's gather here
Who is Afonja?
Re: Man Explains How Removing Nigerian Name From CV Got Him UK Job Offers by Awoleesu(m): 12:28pm On Feb 10, 2022
georgementday:
Yes, he is 34

Though he looks a bit older...

I'm proud of Inien for not denying himself for too long!

Many Brits and other anglicized Africans are struggling with identity crisis today because their forefathers gave up their true names for a westernized one under the pretext of "ease of pronunciation".

1 Like

Re: Man Explains How Removing Nigerian Name From CV Got Him UK Job Offers by Analyst7: 12:30pm On Feb 10, 2022
No be this news I wan see nl
Petrol is now 300 per litre
How fuckd can we be in this filthy country
Re: Man Explains How Removing Nigerian Name From CV Got Him UK Job Offers by Angelfrost(m): 12:30pm On Feb 10, 2022
kokomilala:
I don't buy his story. This equation is too easy. If he so distinguished himself to such an extent that he became excellent,employers would -out of necessity- learn how to pronounce his name. Excellence levels all forms of prejudice- real or presumed. For instance,Arsenal's former goal keeper's name,Szeceny or whatever.Clubs,important ones ,still signed him.

Don't mind him.... If Zlatan's name could become a household name, or Arnold Schwarzenegger, then this report makes no sense.

2 Likes

Re: Man Explains How Removing Nigerian Name From CV Got Him UK Job Offers by Dialpad: 12:31pm On Feb 10, 2022
Shame on you

1 Like

Re: Man Explains How Removing Nigerian Name From CV Got Him UK Job Offers by safarigirl(f): 12:32pm On Feb 10, 2022
BigDawsNet:
Congratulations

Buts it's not about Nigeria...

It's your tribal name giving them hard time to pronounce...

My dad when he arrived in the states... He gave out his first tribal name only.. it was hard for dis people to pronounce it...

So one of them add few letters to his name just to help him upgrade to American stylish pronouncation...

Now the name sounds more forign and easy to call by them...

So, your father agreed to be called out of his name, for what reason?

Thank God my father did not give me any slave name.

Anybody that cannot pronounce my native name as is, should not bother addressing me. I did not come to make anything easier for the descendants of colonizers.

1 Like

Re: Man Explains How Removing Nigerian Name From CV Got Him UK Job Offers by TimeTraveller: 12:33pm On Feb 10, 2022
It's funny how I have got several international fellowships and jobs with my full Nigerian name.
I have travelled to several countries across three continents with my green Nigerian passport.

If you have what the world is looking for, they will learn to pronounce your name, even if it is Shokolokogbambgose.

4 Likes

Re: Man Explains How Removing Nigerian Name From CV Got Him UK Job Offers by Drella(m): 12:35pm On Feb 10, 2022
Dreambeat:
True, dem don mispronounce mine tire but I no send dem. They even attempted to shorten my name to something that sounds English I still refused to accept that. Una must learn to pronounce my name by force

My surname,middle name and first name is native.
You can't even pronounce my surname correctly as a Nigerian if you're not from my state.

Can this be a problem if I leave Nigeria?

Cc BigDawsNet
Re: Man Explains How Removing Nigerian Name From CV Got Him UK Job Offers by NoSentiment: 12:35pm On Feb 10, 2022
Yeasterners and vvesterners or fraudsters to be politically correct have spoilt the name of Nigeria abroad. In Malaysia many Nigerians say they are Muslims from Northern Nigeria to avoid the ostracisetation that comes with being a Nigerian or yigbo as they call them there.
Re: Man Explains How Removing Nigerian Name From CV Got Him UK Job Offers by FrenchXpert(f): 12:35pm On Feb 10, 2022
That’s understandable. Sometimes you have to do what you have to do.

Anyway, if you are interested in learning French under six months, you can contact me.

1 Like

Re: Man Explains How Removing Nigerian Name From CV Got Him UK Job Offers by Germi9: 12:36pm On Feb 10, 2022
See people wey colonize us nor wan use eye see our names
Re: Man Explains How Removing Nigerian Name From CV Got Him UK Job Offers by Enemyofpeace: 12:36pm On Feb 10, 2022
Legendguy:

My surname is imafidon and it's very easy to pronounce.
Most Nigerians use to think I'm not Nigerian because of my name and I'm from Edo state.
imafidon means I am a mafia don
Re: Man Explains How Removing Nigerian Name From CV Got Him UK Job Offers by Jaqenhghar: 12:37pm On Feb 10, 2022
Thats a lie. There is something he is not saying. Maybe the name has been blacklisted for something, or someone used the name...... hence the question " are you sure you are......?" Changing it now made the difference. This is why it's good to follow up with recruiters.
Truth is its risky disqualifying some9ne based on his origins. If he is certain that is the reason he should sue and state his case. No reaonable employer wants that kind of embarrassment.

2 Likes

Re: Man Explains How Removing Nigerian Name From CV Got Him UK Job Offers by Enemyofpeace: 12:37pm On Feb 10, 2022
FrenchXpert:
That’s understandable. Sometimes you have to do what you have to do.

Anyway, if you are interested in learning French under six months, you can contact me.
how do you say come make we fok in French?
Re: Man Explains How Removing Nigerian Name From CV Got Him UK Job Offers by TimeTraveller: 12:38pm On Feb 10, 2022
MyVILLAGEpeople:
Just look at the disaster Buhari has caused angry

You are sick
Re: Man Explains How Removing Nigerian Name From CV Got Him UK Job Offers by kassano22(m): 12:39pm On Feb 10, 2022
That's why I like the usa. They don't care what your name sounds like as long as you can do the job.

1 Like

Re: Man Explains How Removing Nigerian Name From CV Got Him UK Job Offers by zelnababa(m): 12:39pm On Feb 10, 2022
34 years indeed, foodball age

1 Like

Re: Man Explains How Removing Nigerian Name From CV Got Him UK Job Offers by Donpenny(m): 12:40pm On Feb 10, 2022
Sounds like subtle racism to me though

1 Like

Re: Man Explains How Removing Nigerian Name From CV Got Him UK Job Offers by Drella(m): 12:42pm On Feb 10, 2022
iTearHerToto:
Afonja names are the best cool Even in Antarctica submit CV you'll get employed

Our only problem is mining but we still dey curb am small small sha. By the time Buhari steps down I believe it'll subside amen smiley

For now all my afonja brothers with sweet names let's gather here
[img]https:///view/crowd-gathering-interview-media-press-ada-rafael-barba-gif-14228751.gif[/img]

Akinribido
Ogunbameru
Fatusin
Adeyokunu
Akindutire
Awoluyi
Adeseyoju
Akinnuoye
Aderirisoba
Akinsotan.

I don't see what is sweet in these Afonja names.They don't even have meaning!
Re: Man Explains How Removing Nigerian Name From CV Got Him UK Job Offers by uuzba(m): 12:42pm On Feb 10, 2022
Dannyfan:
The one has lost his self esteem
Oga, dey there dey argue.
You are the one looking for job in their country, UK.
They go shakara you to the maximum!
You go begin cry for your home country and kukuma change your name to John Smith.
Just because of job. Nigerian native name no dey help anybody outside this country.
Once they see it written down on paper, na red flag.

1 Like

Re: Man Explains How Removing Nigerian Name From CV Got Him UK Job Offers by EmmyMaestro(m): 12:42pm On Feb 10, 2022
They should comman pronounce this

1 Like

Re: Man Explains How Removing Nigerian Name From CV Got Him UK Job Offers by Drella(m): 12:44pm On Feb 10, 2022
Habeeb081:
Who has the idea how to reach the operators of WhatsApp TV � of various universities in Nigeria ?

I can link you to that of OAU with thousands of active viewers.
But why do you need it first?
Re: Man Explains How Removing Nigerian Name From CV Got Him UK Job Offers by Nobody: 12:45pm On Feb 10, 2022
They can't make attempt to pronounce Inien but they can
make attempt to pronounce Polish names like
Pszczyna' ...
'Następstw' ...
'Źdźbło' ...
'Bezwzględny' ...
Szymankowszczyzna. ...
Szczebrzeszyn and their Russian counterparts. You see why as an African, you need to be exceptionally good to be appreciated and accepted. This feelings hurt so much

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

P & G Employment Test Sample Questions / Army Recruitment: Concerns As South East Fails To Fill Quota / Self Employment Opportunity: Transcribing For A Living In Nigeria 2020 Part 2

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.