Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,474 members, 7,819,730 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:53 PM

Justice For Heritage: How 100 Level Student Of Oau Fell Into A Septic Tank & Die - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Justice For Heritage: How 100 Level Student Of Oau Fell Into A Septic Tank & Die (768 Views)

Heritage Ajibola: OAU Student Dies After Falling Into Septic Tank In Her Hostel / Student Kicked Out Of OAU In Final Year, Graduates With 1st Class From FUTA / Photo Of OAU Students Reading With ATM Light At Night (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Justice For Heritage: How 100 Level Student Of Oau Fell Into A Septic Tank & Die by Discovery4today: 2:46am On Feb 10, 2022
A 100-level student of the Department of Linguistics and African Studies, Obafemi Awolowo University (OAU), Ile-Ife, Osun state, has died after she accidentally fell into a septic tank in her hostel on Wednesday February 9.

Heritage was said to be packing her clothes that she had washed earlier when she suddenly slipped into the septic tank in the hostel where students are allegedly asked to pay as much as N200, 000 for a bed space.

Confirming her death, the University's Students’ Union president, Ogunperi Taofeek Olalekan, in a statement released, said

''Heritage Ajibola, the Linguistics and African Languages student who accidentally fell into the soakaway this afternoon at Bver Hostel, Maintenance Hostels, is confirmed dead!

This incident is highly unfortunate. The Union mourns her. May her soul rest in peace. May God give her family, friends and course mates the fortitude to bear this irreparable loss.

It must be noted that Heritage's death was avoidable if the soakaway system was properly constructed and covered. It is saddening that this has happened despite the huge amounts of money paid by students for rent. The Management of the Hostel must answer for the death of Heritage. The Union is immediately demanding justice for Heritage, with a view to forestalling a possible reoccurrence of this.
#HeritageAjibolaOAU
Amandla! Ngawethu! "

One of the SUG excos told LIB that the Vice-Chancellor of the school visited the scene of the incident this evening and promised to ensure that necessary actions are taken.

The school authority is yet to release an official statement on the incident.

Meanwhile, students of the school have taken to social media to react to the unfortunate incident. They called for sanctions to be taken against the management of the hostel where the incident happened.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-02fD28hzdI

Re: Justice For Heritage: How 100 Level Student Of Oau Fell Into A Septic Tank & Die by ebuka440: 2:52am On Feb 10, 2022
The greedy school management of that nonsense hostel should be made to face the full wrath of the law.
I still have my blames for the government who has failed to regulate the price of cement.
Some school management can be wicked and mean and only knows how to collect rent instead of to maintain the dungeon built by them in the name of hostel
Re: Justice For Heritage: How 100 Level Student Of Oau Fell Into A Septic Tank & Die by Ejima1: 2:54am On Feb 10, 2022
ebuka440:
The greedy landlord of that nonsense hostel should be made to face the full wrath of the law.
I still have my blames for the government who has failed to regulate the price of cement.
Some landlords can be wicked and mean and only knows how to collect rent instead of to maintain the dungeon built by them in the name of hostel
Is it the landlord or the school management?
Re: Justice For Heritage: How 100 Level Student Of Oau Fell Into A Septic Tank & Die by Enskynelson(m): 4:13am On Feb 10, 2022
Meanwhile, these same people will sit in their homes blaming government. May her soul rest in peace.
Re: Justice For Heritage: How 100 Level Student Of Oau Fell Into A Septic Tank & Die by everythinggirly(f): 4:14am On Feb 10, 2022
RIP dear.
Re: Justice For Heritage: How 100 Level Student Of Oau Fell Into A Septic Tank & Die by gaby(m): 4:48am On Feb 10, 2022
Oh...what a cutie.

Rest on dear.

This is so gut-wrenching.

I don't even want to imagine the pains her parents and loved ones must be going through at this time of their lives.

Recklessness on the part of the landlord and contractors.

Someone needs to be held accountable for accidents of these sorts for ones in Nigeria.
Re: Justice For Heritage: How 100 Level Student Of Oau Fell Into A Septic Tank & Die by Discovery4today: 5:40am On Feb 10, 2022
gaby:
Oh...what a cutie.

Rest on dear.

This is so gut-wrenching.

I don't even want to imagine the pains her parents and loved ones must be going through at this time of their lives.

Recklessness on the part of the landlord and contractors.

Someone needs to be held accountable for accidents of these sorts for ones in Nigeria.
It's so sad
Re: Justice For Heritage: How 100 Level Student Of Oau Fell Into A Septic Tank & Die by Ejima1: 5:41am On Feb 10, 2022
May God deliver our Nigerian students from these dilapidated buildings that they call hostel
Re: Justice For Heritage: How 100 Level Student Of Oau Fell Into A Septic Tank & Die by Yves4real(f): 9:07am On Feb 10, 2022
May her soul find eternal rest.
To avoid situations like this, I don't walk or stand on top of soak aways, inspection chambers/manholes, or wells.
When I notice cars reversing, I maintain distance or move to a safe spot since Titilope Arotile's accident.
Someone else cannot comman explain to others how it happened on my behalf.
Be safety conscious children of God.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

ASUU STRIKE: An Appreciation Post To The NANS President / ASUU Update / Ten

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.