Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,910 members, 7,835,041 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 01:50 AM

GEJ; The Need To Patronize Made In Nigeria Goods. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / GEJ; The Need To Patronize Made In Nigeria Goods. (1162 Views)

Nigerians Should Patronize Made In Nigeria Goods! / {photos} Second Niger Bridge Completed . GEJ The Hero / Is Gej The Worst President That Has Ruled Nigeria Amongst Others? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

GEJ; The Need To Patronize Made In Nigeria Goods. by Nobody: 12:32pm On Jun 24, 2011
I do understand that there are products that we do not yet produce in Nigeria and the government is working to address that. This takes time. But while we work on that, we all can make a contribution to Nigeria's progress by making a conscious effort to patronize Nigerian made products rather than foreign goods in cases where a Nigerian alternative exists. GEJ

Source: GEJ FB fan page, 24-06-2011.
Re: GEJ; The Need To Patronize Made In Nigeria Goods. by Nobody: 12:36pm On Jun 24, 2011
Am the most patrotic, I patronize the local harbalists whenever am ill, Buhahahahahahahaahaha!!
Re: GEJ; The Need To Patronize Made In Nigeria Goods. by Horus(m): 9:01pm On Jun 24, 2011
[size=15pt]Made in Nigeria: “E no easy,dem try”,the Mediocrity-Apologia[/size]

Posted on June 10, 2011 by henryik2009

The average Nigerian is an apologist for mediocrity.And knows it,too.Very rarely will you hear,”that is very good”,with regard to any Nigerian process or product.Apparently Nigerian products or processes fall into two categories only: “nonsense” or “e no easy ,dem try”(ENEDT).”ENEDT” has become a euphemism,for that grey zone between very-bad and not-so-bad.Phrases like “ENEDT” are used to describe things that Nigerians consider better than bad,but not good enough to be termed “good”.Nigerians can identify mediocrity when they see it,but because they are unwilling to face it squarely,and deal with it,they prefer not to call it by it’s rightful name.Instead,as a sort of denial,phrases such as “ENEDT” are employed to make it seem better than it is.Thus morally sedated,people can do things that they would not normally be able to justify.This explains how well-educated sophisticates can do things that their education,exposure and background do not predict.

A society that is unwilling to make to a distinction between good and bad is in deep trouble.A people that can find comfort in such fudge,obfuscation and outright denial are morally bankrupt.A culture from whose lexicon,the word “good” has been expunged,cannot be exercised by considerations of excellence.Such a people,strangers to the word “good”,would be wedded to mediocrity.And no wonder.The other day,i saw a broadcast on cable television,where Amaka Igwe,one of the heavy-hitters of the movie and television industry in Nigeria,was been interviewed.In response to the interviewers question about the movie industry’s “progress”,she aggressively defended Nollywood,the Nigerian movie industry,by trotting out the usual excuses about lack of finance and poor infrastructure.But what really caught my attention,was her attempt to justify Nollywood’s mediocrity by pointing out that the industry ,”is just 16 years old”.And that is so typical.

Every time you criticize some Nigerian  practice,no matter how objectively,there is sure to be someone to remind you that,”Nigeria is only 50 years old as an independent state,America has been independent since 1776.In time we will get there.” This argument is so infuriating.Yes,it is true that it took the West a long time to get to their present position.But that is because they had no role-models,no one from whom to learn.They had to discover or invent everything themselves,and of course they made a lot of missteps and took many wrong-turns as a result.But we are not in the same position.We have the benefit of their experience,we are heirs to some 30o years of written history.It is not necessary to exactly re-enact the trajectory of their development,by repeating all the mistakes they made,including some they did not even make.The irony is that Nigerians are early-adopters,of consumer goods.Where the acquisition of the latest cars,phones and fashion accessories is concerned,Nigerians are at par with Europeans and Americans.

But when you insist that the Nigerian process be subject to world-class measures,Nigerians complain.Please do not mis-understand me.I make a distinction between product and process.No one pretends that the Nigerian “product” should be of the same absolute quality as the West’s.What we can insist on,however,is that the Nigerian process be compliant with acceptable international norms,that every effort be made to do things properly.It is gratuitous self-violence,to leave undone that which we could easily do,just because Nigeria is not a million years old.I do not expect Nigerian movies to be of the same absolute quality,as Hollywood’s.However,i expect that the Nigerian film-market would be intelligently enough regulated,as to make it quality-sensitive.It should be able to differentiate between bad and good movies;any one who supports Nollywood,by buying or renting it’s movies,knows how frustrating this lack of differentiation is.Such a “simple” thing can make a big difference.And,throughout the Nigerian reality.

Certainly,we do not expect our infrastructure to be of the same quality as that of the West,but is that any justification for the state of our roads and power-supply? What about our schools and hospitals? Given our natural resources,human and material,should we not be able to match the standards in the West-African sub-region,if not the Middle-east? If we cannot match the level of probity,accountability and transparency of Western governments today,is that a good reason for the institutionalization of impunity ,by our various governments? Can we not justifiably hold our leaders to higher standards? The 2011 elections were not up to the standards of the West,but they were much better than what we were used to.And all because the president “chose” to give the electoral commission boss a free hand.We can do much better,today,but only if we liberate our minds from the bondage of mediocrity,increasingly fostered by our language.Phrases like “ENEDT” constitute the language of mediocrity,of moral-timidity and under-development.Mind your language!!!

Source: http://henryik2009./2011/06/10/nigeria-made-in-nigeria-e-no-easydem-trythe-mediocrity-apologia/
Re: GEJ; The Need To Patronize Made In Nigeria Goods. by seanet02: 9:07pm On Jun 24, 2011
Supported. We need to start patronising ibo/aba made cocaine
Re: GEJ; The Need To Patronize Made In Nigeria Goods. by texazzpete(m): 9:51am On Jun 25, 2011
Anyone who tells me to patronize made-in-nigeria goods should go and jump into the ocean. I am a consumer who works hard for his money, I will purchase the best available goods that my money can cover.

Only people who do not pay taxes are keen on this display of pseudo-patriotism. Let the Nigerian manufacturers work towards making their product of comparable quality to the market leading imports and we'll patronize them.

You don't find more patriotic people around than Americans yet Toyota sells more sedans than General Motors in the US!
Re: GEJ; The Need To Patronize Made In Nigeria Goods. by texazzpete(m): 9:55am On Jun 25, 2011
When I made my previous comment, i did not realize that this statement was made by Goodluck Jonathan. this makes it even more disturbing indeed.

In a situation where the President and his cabinet members will routinely travel abroad for minor medical emergencies, send their kids to schools run by Americans and pay some ministers salary in Dollars, it is rather disappointing indeed!

Let them practice what they preach and swap out all their Peugeots for innoson motors cheesy
Re: GEJ; The Need To Patronize Made In Nigeria Goods. by Afam4eva(m): 11:43am On Jun 25, 2011
texazzpete:

Anyone who tells me to patronize made-in-nigeria goods should go and jump into the ocean. I am a consumer who works hard for his money, I will purchase the best available goods that my money can cover.

Only people who do not pay taxes are keen on this display of pseudo-patriotism. Let the Nigerian manufacturers work towards making their product of comparable quality to the market leading imports and we'll patronize them.

You don't find more patriotic people around than Americans yet Toyota sells more sedans than General Motors in the US!

You have a point there. I don't think anyone should patronize Nigerian products just for the heck of it. If you have a better foreign product then go for it. But it becomes very annoying when some Nigerians go for China made products instead of those in Nigeria. When both are of equal quality or the Nigerian product is probably better than the chinese one. That's a case of inferiority complex.

Furthermore, we need to discard that idea that anything from Nigeria is fake. There are some good products in Nigeria. Namely Zinox computers, Innoson Motors etc. I think the government should follow what the Enugu state government has done by patronizing Nigerian made cars then the citizens will follow suit,

(1) (Reply)

Fashola Got His San From Salami / Fashola Flags Off $100million Dollar Holiday Resort / The Fraud In Nigeria Oil Sector: A Must Read 4 Every Nigerian

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.