Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,226 members, 7,825,871 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 04:08 AM

Tesla Sued Over Racial Discrimination In The Workplace - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Tesla Sued Over Racial Discrimination In The Workplace (19509 Views)

Maintaining Peace Between Gen Zs And Other Generations In The Workplace / Can An Employer Be Sued For Paying Less Than 30k Minimum Wage? / Discrimination Because Of The Kind Of University Attended. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tesla Sued Over Racial Discrimination In The Workplace by lalasticlala(m): 10:50am On Feb 12, 2022

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93KrXtjiwlw

Tesla is being sued for alleged racial discrimination and harassment by a California regulator which claims the electric carmaker operates "a racially segregated workplace".

The California Department of Fair Employment and Housing (DFEH) said it had received "hundreds of complaints" from workers at the Fremont factory.

Tesla called the lawsuit "misguided".

It said it "strongly opposes all forms of discrimination and harassment" and will ask the court to pause the case.

Tesla said this would allow it to "take other steps to ensure that facts and evidence will be heard".

Kevin Kish, director of the DFEH, said the agency "found evidence that Tesla's Fremont factory is a racially segregated workplace where black workers are subjected to racial slurs and discriminated against in job assignments, discipline, pay and promotion".

It claimed that employees would refer to areas where Black or African-American staff worked with racist historical names, such as "the plantation".

The lawsuit, filed after an investigation by the agency, also alleged that one worker heard racial slurs "as often as 50-100 times a day".

But Tesla claimed that over the past five years the DFEH has been asked by individuals to investigate the company on nearly 50 occasions.

"On every single occasion, when the DFEH closed an investigation, it did not find misconduct against Tesla," the firm said in a blog.

"It therefore strains credibility for the agency to now allege, after a three-year investigation, that systematic racial discrimination and harassment somehow existed at Tesla."

It also said that the claims "focused on alleged misconduct by production associates at the Fremont factory that took place between 2015 and 2019".

Last year, Tesla was ordered to pay $137m (£101m) in damages for failing to stop a black former worker at its Fremont factory from being abused.

Tesla has since appealed against the multi-million dollar settlement granted to former lift operator, Owen Diaz.

The company, which is led by chief executive Elon Musk, said in its blog that it is the "last remaining automobile manufacturer in California", has "a majority-minority workforce" and provides well-paid jobs to 30,000 people.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-60330296

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tesla Sued Over Racial Discrimination In The Workplace by MufasaLion: 10:52am On Feb 12, 2022
Damn! I hate racism, and racists disgusts me. I'm a big fan of Elon Musk and all his enterprises but I would never support racism irrespective of whatever. I still need me a Tesla and a Trip to Mars.

I await the result of this case. Till then, I keep my fingers crossed.

42 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tesla Sued Over Racial Discrimination In The Workplace by FineUsername(m): 10:57am On Feb 12, 2022
cool
Re: Tesla Sued Over Racial Discrimination In The Workplace by usecondom(m): 10:57am On Feb 12, 2022
Matters arising

3 Likes

Re: Tesla Sued Over Racial Discrimination In The Workplace by ukpahu(m): 10:58am On Feb 12, 2022
mean
Re: Tesla Sued Over Racial Discrimination In The Workplace by Yankiss(m): 10:58am On Feb 12, 2022
Elon Musk should look squarely at these allegations of racism and racial slurs against Blacks. There is no smoke without fire. Something is wrong with the company. The world can no longer tolerate those supremacists who not only drag the civilized world centuries back but also seem to revel in the atrocities committed against humanity under the sick tenet of racism.

15 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Tesla Sued Over Racial Discrimination In The Workplace by Sabadon(m): 10:58am On Feb 12, 2022
Elon.. .....not now
Re: Tesla Sued Over Racial Discrimination In The Workplace by tropaz(m): 10:58am On Feb 12, 2022

I thought Elon was born in south Africa??

5 Likes

Re: Tesla Sued Over Racial Discrimination In The Workplace by creolehunt: 10:59am On Feb 12, 2022
The floor is now open for the notorious hypocritical Nigerian bigoted tribal warlords to come and reprimand racism

52 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Tesla Sued Over Racial Discrimination In The Workplace by VEXT: 10:59am On Feb 12, 2022
Ok. We have what is worst than racism,btw I don't gv a Bleep about black Americans

7 Likes

Re: Tesla Sued Over Racial Discrimination In The Workplace by money121(m): 10:59am On Feb 12, 2022
Ok

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Tesla Sued Over Racial Discrimination In The Workplace by Kriely(m): 11:00am On Feb 12, 2022
US & Racism

5&6

1 Like

Re: Tesla Sued Over Racial Discrimination In The Workplace by gambia(m): 11:00am On Feb 12, 2022
Racism can never stop.

1 Like

Re: Tesla Sued Over Racial Discrimination In The Workplace by ogagusps3: 11:01am On Feb 12, 2022
A lot of White SA are racist af
tropaz:

I thought Elon was born in south Africa??

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tesla Sued Over Racial Discrimination In The Workplace by Exclusive40: 11:02am On Feb 12, 2022
Okay
Re: Tesla Sued Over Racial Discrimination In The Workplace by Goldbw122(m): 11:02am On Feb 12, 2022
Hmm, this is a never ending war... About racist
Re: Tesla Sued Over Racial Discrimination In The Workplace by Yankee101: 11:02am On Feb 12, 2022
South African White
Trump supporter
Racist ancestors

What do you expect?

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Tesla Sued Over Racial Discrimination In The Workplace by JosephXavier: 11:02am On Feb 12, 2022
Racism is something that cannot be wiped out in this world

You can imagine the punishment Kurt Zouma has faced because he kicked a cat, ordinary cat oo

Whites have shown that they value animals more than blacks

Man Utd captain Harry Maguire was was accused of aggravated assault but nothing came out of it

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tesla Sued Over Racial Discrimination In The Workplace by DropsMic(m): 11:02am On Feb 12, 2022
Good
Re: Tesla Sued Over Racial Discrimination In The Workplace by tropaz(m): 11:03am On Feb 12, 2022
ogagusps3:
A lot of White SA are racist af

That's bullshit
Re: Tesla Sued Over Racial Discrimination In The Workplace by Aboguede(m): 11:03am On Feb 12, 2022
MufasaLion:
Damn! I hate racism, and racists disgusts me. I'm a big fan of Elon Musk and all his enterprises but I would never support racism irrespective of whatever. I still need me a Tesla and a Trip to Mars.

I await the result of this case. Till then, I keep my fingers crossed.

You better ho for rehabilitation before it is too late

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tesla Sued Over Racial Discrimination In The Workplace by kazyhm(m): 11:04am On Feb 12, 2022
And when this company is closed down due to payment of frivolous claims like this........the generation unborn will now read about electric car in the book.

Relationship among workers is a personal things..........in as much as the company policy is not bias against any race.......you should sue the perpetrator instead.

4 Likes

Re: Tesla Sued Over Racial Discrimination In The Workplace by Misworld: 11:05am On Feb 12, 2022
What do I know
Re: Tesla Sued Over Racial Discrimination In The Workplace by inoki247: 11:05am On Feb 12, 2022
we go start dey see different conspiracy...
Re: Tesla Sued Over Racial Discrimination In The Workplace by HRSweetness(f): 11:05am On Feb 12, 2022
Just watch how the Nigerians who's favorite past time is tribalism would rush to condemn this man. While doing so, remember how you treat your country man just cos he isn't yoruba or ibo.

That's to say, you'd do worse if you were from a completely different race.

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tesla Sued Over Racial Discrimination In The Workplace by Nonexisting: 11:06am On Feb 12, 2022
Black Americans and trouble. Well, it's all about the paper and it needs to be made.

3 Likes

Re: Tesla Sued Over Racial Discrimination In The Workplace by Aboguede(m): 11:06am On Feb 12, 2022
Em village people don finally locate am

Na so e dey start

His rockets failed two days ago

We dey here

We go hear as em village people take finish with am grin

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Nairalanders My Ghetto Brother Wants A New Life / Employers Stop Frustrating Us!!! Cry Of A Nigerian Youth. / Moment A Rescue Worker "Cried" During Training (video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.