Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,265 members, 7,818,903 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:43 AM

Is It Illegal To Repaint My Fading Vehicle Number Plates? - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Is It Illegal To Repaint My Fading Vehicle Number Plates? (29081 Views)

Police Vows To Go After Producers Of Rotating Number Plates / FG Hikes Vehicle Number Plate, Driving Licence Rates By 50% / Borno, Home Of Peace: Can You Spot The Irony Of This Vehicle Number Plate? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Illegal To Repaint My Fading Vehicle Number Plates? by worldman(m): 8:20am On Feb 13, 2022
Reprinting of plate number from from is just 10k and its not illegal
Re: Is It Illegal To Repaint My Fading Vehicle Number Plates? by Slickleo: 8:21am On Feb 13, 2022
Tovard:
This is what I will suggest based on experience.

Let a painter who knows his job to do it for you and thereafter buy number plate cover. Something like light green cover to cover up the number plate, they will never see the error again.

Even new number I got last year looks like it was repainted because there was paint droppings on some part
Re: Is It Illegal To Repaint My Fading Vehicle Number Plates? by Slickleo: 8:26am On Feb 13, 2022
Lush100:
Why r u bringing this delicate matter .
If your car body fade at some point, won't u repaint it again.
What kind of question is this.
So u want hard-working govt-neglected Nigerians to use minimum wage to buy another plate number for money-looting already-overfed govt official.

It just common sense na.

U should have asked your colleagues,
U will get answers.
Haba
Thanks Nigerians are to gullible, it's and original number plate u jst made it details visible so no offense because u did not alter any info,

Jst like frsc or Vio charging a fine for failed brake bulb who will nw charge government for failure of street lights or unmotorable roads

7 Likes

Re: Is It Illegal To Repaint My Fading Vehicle Number Plates? by DarkJeddi(m): 8:28am On Feb 13, 2022
helinues:

Eventually, all things have an expiration date
Yes,within reason..
Re: Is It Illegal To Repaint My Fading Vehicle Number Plates? by Thesaint141(m): 8:33am On Feb 13, 2022
SLOVFO:
My vehicle's number plates are about 6 years old and about faded. I intend taking to an artist for a makeover. To replace them through FRSC will cost about 25K naira while an artist will collect about 5K naira to do a decent job. My worry is if it's against the law.

Don't try repaint ur vehicle plate Number bro
I paid heavily for that while I was caught by the FRSC.
So I will advise you look for Money and get a replacement.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is It Illegal To Repaint My Fading Vehicle Number Plates? by Reference(m): 8:44am On Feb 13, 2022
SLOVFO:
My vehicle's number plates are about 6 years old and about faded. I intend taking to an artist for a makeover. To replace them through FRSC will cost about 25K naira while an artist will collect about 5K naira to do a decent job. My worry is if it's against the law.

It is.
The plates do not belong to you.
Its like writing on your passport.

4 Likes

Re: Is It Illegal To Repaint My Fading Vehicle Number Plates? by Reference(m): 8:50am On Feb 13, 2022
ntyce:
The FRSC should be challenged on this...
The plates are of poor quality.

That is what to do and not break the law.
We have a fundamental problem of creating things in Nigeria. We rather bend them.
And this is because we are poor on solidarity and advocacy.... and this is because we are essentially a selfish people.

When things do not favour a citizenry they go to the source of the problem to deal with it.
Here we find ways to side step it.

4 Likes

Re: Is It Illegal To Repaint My Fading Vehicle Number Plates? by evictor305: 8:54am On Feb 13, 2022
Yes it is against the law. apply for change of name plate instead. Else when you're caught the will pay for it or they impound your vehicle.
SLOVFO:

1 Like

Re: Is It Illegal To Repaint My Fading Vehicle Number Plates? by Nobody: 9:32am On Feb 13, 2022
If my car plates fades am leaving it like that. Why would you go through the stress doing their job.

1 Like

Re: Is It Illegal To Repaint My Fading Vehicle Number Plates? by 1819nine: 9:52am On Feb 13, 2022
[s]
helinues:

Eventually, all things have an expiration date
[/s]
Re: Is It Illegal To Repaint My Fading Vehicle Number Plates? by Bimpe29: 9:54am On Feb 13, 2022
Forget the law joor and go ahead with your plan.
Re: Is It Illegal To Repaint My Fading Vehicle Number Plates? by phemmyfour: 10:36am On Feb 13, 2022
SLOVFO:
It's against the law to input any form of modification on the number plate

3 Likes

Re: Is It Illegal To Repaint My Fading Vehicle Number Plates? by RayRay06677(m): 10:54am On Feb 13, 2022
Never had faded plates as such never had need for repaint, highest I have driven a car is 5 years though. All things been equally, highest I plan to drive any car is 5 years. But if your number fades, bro live it there except you have any benefit attached to a visible number. As long as they gave it to you, let them read their doings, they can't read it, strictly their business just keep your receipt for plate number when you paid for it. Except it's expiry date is stated if not stated then it's for life and not my business to update.

5 Likes

Re: Is It Illegal To Repaint My Fading Vehicle Number Plates? by bobbiiee: 11:02am On Feb 13, 2022
If you are using lagos registration just input your car reg number into this site.

https://nvis.frsc.gov.ng/VehicleManagement/VerifyPlateNo

Even number plate violation is not 5k. It can't be said that you are driving with fake when it's linked to their site. FRSC offences and penalties are stated in the link below.

https://frsc.gov.ng/offences-penalties-2/

Tikobanidi:

I had similar experience and I gave an artist to help me re- paint and trace the number. On my way to Akure I was stopped by the FRSC team at Ijebuode, they claimed the plate number was fake and I was booked. Nothing I didn't say to convince them but they were adamant. I told them they needed to commend me for making my plate number readable, it showed I was not a criminal, they never bulge. I even accused them for making a sub-standard plate number, they said I would have gone to buy another one. Eventually, I parted with 5k as fine!

2 Likes

Re: Is It Illegal To Repaint My Fading Vehicle Number Plates? by Tikobanidi: 11:23am On Feb 13, 2022
bobbiiee:
If you are using lagos registration just input your car reg number into this site.

https://nvis.frsc.gov.ng/VehicleManagement/VerifyPlateNo

Even number plate violation is not 5k. It can't be said that you are driving with fake when it's linked to their site. FRSC offences and penalties are stated in the link below.

https://frsc.gov.ng/offences-penalties-2/

I know what I am saying Bro, I only cut the story short. There's no doubt about the originality of the plate number. The official booking was 3k plus, I was booked on Saturday and expected to go and pay on Monday and bring the receipt before I could collect my car. And one of them offered to assist me to pay but with a price, do you expect me to reject that offer?

Re: Is It Illegal To Repaint My Fading Vehicle Number Plates? by dagbas: 11:48am On Feb 13, 2022
25k to replace a faded number?
I would rather take it to the painter every 2years to repaint the number plate.
Try tell those washing your cars to avoid using any soap or detergents when washing the plate numbers. It will remain new like forever!
Re: Is It Illegal To Repaint My Fading Vehicle Number Plates? by otomatic(m): 12:52pm On Feb 13, 2022
RoyalBoutique:

You mean V.I.O?

I mean FRSC, when they stop you for number plate violation.
It's only Lagos number plates that fade, starting from when that state government took over the printing.
Earlier numbers that were printed by FRSC do not fade likewise numbers from other states.

1 Like

Re: Is It Illegal To Repaint My Fading Vehicle Number Plates? by Offpoint1: 1:01pm On Feb 13, 2022
9icetoo:

Here is what I did when in a similar situation.

Used a fine brush to make out the letterings in glossy blue colour. Took the plates to painter who coated it with clear coat.

Then I never accepted when stopped that it was my handwork. I always insisted that this was how they issued it to me. grin

If you die na 2 much sense kee yougringrin
Re: Is It Illegal To Repaint My Fading Vehicle Number Plates? by McLizbae: 1:23pm On Feb 13, 2022
By replace, does it mean I will be given a new number, or my old number on a new plate?
aieromon:

Yes. The law states that faded plates should be replaced.

Whoever is responsible for printing these plates is doing a very poor job. These plates start fading into the second year of use.

Re: Is It Illegal To Repaint My Fading Vehicle Number Plates? by PrinceLat(m): 1:36pm On Feb 13, 2022
Whatever you do, please do not repaint your plate number!!!

Earlier this year i did, and i was stopped by FRSC, they claimed i painted it, by so doing I've committed forgery blah blah......

Long story short i contested it, but they seized my license and to make masters worse it was a weekend and my family was in the car, i said give me the form lemme go and pay, he said come to the office on Monday, one of them even threatened to make me come everyday for a week for lecture before they'll give me the form to pay talk less of returning my license.

My wife came out of the car and pleaded with them to consider her and the kids, before one of them looked at the license and saw my age, discovered I'm way older than all of them, and said yet i allowed them to talk to me anyhow, that there's a cyber cafe around the corner, i should go there to pay for the plate number violation.

Hmmm, that's the first time in over 8 years of driving in Lagos that I'll be booked by FRSC and made to pay, nobody told me, i got another plate number for ₦15,000, even the new one looks like it's gonna fade anytime soon. (I only use water to clean it now)

When people give you advice, know that whatever you do, you alone will be the recipient of your actions, nobody will be there to help you, be wise, if your number is faded, go get another one....... It's wrong, but it is what it is, especially in Lagos.

NOTE
Those FRSC guys, once they know you know your right but you've given them room to book you, trust me, they'll make you suffer.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Illegal To Repaint My Fading Vehicle Number Plates? by aieromon(m): 1:39pm On Feb 13, 2022
McLizbae:
By replace, does it mean I will be given a new number, or my old number on a new plate?

You retain the old number on a brand new replacement plate.

https://www.wikiprocedure.com/index.php/Nigeria_-_Replacement_of_a_Vehicle_Number_Plate
Re: Is It Illegal To Repaint My Fading Vehicle Number Plates? by McLizbae: 1:44pm On Feb 13, 2022
Thank you
aieromon:

You retain the old number on a brand new replacement plate.

https://www.wikiprocedure.com/index.php/Nigeria_-_Replacement_of_a_Vehicle_Number_Plate
Re: Is It Illegal To Repaint My Fading Vehicle Number Plates? by Average9jaman: 3:14pm On Feb 13, 2022
evictor305:
Yes it is against the law. apply for change of name plate instead. Else when you're caught the will pay for it or they impound your vehicle.

Wil they produce the same number u were using or give you a new number?
Re: Is It Illegal To Repaint My Fading Vehicle Number Plates? by gogosman(m): 3:35pm On Feb 13, 2022
It's against the law. It will cost an average of N15000. It's better you change it, than artist.
Re: Is It Illegal To Repaint My Fading Vehicle Number Plates? by Aaay: 3:54pm On Feb 13, 2022
No
Re: Is It Illegal To Repaint My Fading Vehicle Number Plates? by pryingeyes(m): 4:52pm On Feb 13, 2022
Here in Lagos, it is better you have a faded number plate. If your's is still visible, abeg fade it o reason not far fetched. The fear of VIO cameras is the beginning of wisdom. embarassed

1 Like

Re: Is It Illegal To Repaint My Fading Vehicle Number Plates? by Saynoomore: 5:29pm On Feb 13, 2022
worldman:
Reprinting of plate number from from is just 10k and its not illegal

You call 10k just?
I can't afford such frivolous expenses - not for this corrupt government that hasn't done me any good! My income and the value of my income (relative to the dollar exchange rate) has dropped drastically since this govt came into power. Cash flow na zero, inflation hitting the roof ! I won't do it o!!!!!

1 Like

Re: Is It Illegal To Repaint My Fading Vehicle Number Plates? by 9icetoo(m): 6:41pm On Feb 13, 2022
Donedeal1:
Your number plates have expired, get it replaced asap.
Number plates do not expire. They do not have expiry dates and shouldn't have.

1 Like

Re: Is It Illegal To Repaint My Fading Vehicle Number Plates? by 9icetoo(m): 6:44pm On Feb 13, 2022
Slurity:
You are a funny dude, have you ever seen a plate number, or any painting that doesn't fade under the same conditions your plate number is regularly exposed to? Even the colour of your car fades easily.
Have you seen 12 to 20 year old imported vehicles with their number plates?

Do the number plates look faded even after 12 to 20 years?

These goons are selling substandard stuff to the general public. They should be called out and not treated with kid gloves.

It should be designed to withstand regular cleaning agents and not fade after coming in contact with regular detergents after two years.

1 Like

Re: Is It Illegal To Repaint My Fading Vehicle Number Plates? by ademoshood(m): 8:14pm On Feb 13, 2022
My advice to you all is that, you take your New vehicle plate numbers to Motor Pinter, asked the Motor Pinter to spray vanish on the number plate. Honestly, it last longer.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

New BMW 8 Series Revealed - Amazing Photos / Which Of These Would You Use To Protect Your Car In Today's World? / See Why The Rolls-royces "Spirit Of Ecstasy" Bonnet Ornament Can Never Be Stolen

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.