Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,774 members, 7,809,987 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:23 PM

Is It Illegal To Repaint My Fading Vehicle Number Plates? - Car Talk (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Is It Illegal To Repaint My Fading Vehicle Number Plates? (28981 Views)

Police Vows To Go After Producers Of Rotating Number Plates / FG Hikes Vehicle Number Plate, Driving Licence Rates By 50% / Borno, Home Of Peace: Can You Spot The Irony Of This Vehicle Number Plate? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Illegal To Repaint My Fading Vehicle Number Plates? by Gaabasky: 9:57pm On Feb 13, 2022
9icetoo:

Here is what I did when in a similar situation.

Used a fine brush to make out the letterings in glossy blue colour. Took the plates to painter who coated it with clear coat.

Then I never accepted when stopped that it was my handwork. I always insisted that this was how they issued it to me. grin

U are lucky dude. I wasn't da luck on my way to Kaduna, was stopped that my plate number has bn distorted n they were requested for 10k as a bribe. I told them they should fill the form for me n will pay. I think I paid around 3k.

To be frank, I wasn't aware of it before the incident

1 Like

Re: Is It Illegal To Repaint My Fading Vehicle Number Plates? by Gaabasky: 9:58pm On Feb 13, 2022
WibusJaga:

I was once stopped by FRSC official because of faded plates. He advised me to use an artist to repaint it.
So it is NOT illegal to repaint the plate.
Doesn't even make economic sense to spend 25k on new plates that will fade after barely 2years.

It's illegal
Re: Is It Illegal To Repaint My Fading Vehicle Number Plates? by Sojiboi(m): 11:06pm On Feb 13, 2022
Men!We were stopped at Lokoja last December and my cousin paid about 3k bribe for repainting his plate number,fact here is that the officers notice it immediately they see it.
Re: Is It Illegal To Repaint My Fading Vehicle Number Plates? by Slurity(m): 11:45pm On Feb 13, 2022
9icetoo:

Have you seen 12 to 20 year old imported vehicles with their number plates?

Do the number plates look faded even after 12 to 20 years?

These goons are selling substandard stuff to the general public. They should be called out and not treated with kid gloves.

It should be designed to withstand regular cleaning agents and not fade after coming in contact with regular detergents after two years.
take it easy please. Put that imported car into our own tropical weather for 3 years and compare again.
Re: Is It Illegal To Repaint My Fading Vehicle Number Plates? by duality(m): 9:46am On Feb 14, 2022
Slurity:
take it easy please. Put that imported car into our own tropical weather for 3 years and compare again.

How do we solve a problem if you and your likes, accept it.

The old number plates, are still okay. The problem is this new one.

We didn't have issues of faded plates with the old ones.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Illegal To Repaint My Fading Vehicle Number Plates? by Slurity(m): 1:10pm On Feb 14, 2022
duality:

You win. Are you happy now?
Re: Is It Illegal To Repaint My Fading Vehicle Number Plates? by 9icetoo(m): 9:36pm On Feb 15, 2022
duality:

Abi oo

1 Like

Re: Is It Illegal To Repaint My Fading Vehicle Number Plates? by 9icetoo(m): 9:39pm On Feb 15, 2022
Slurity:
Don't blame the weather. Those California license plates won't fade even after 10 years in Nigeria. I can bet my right ball on that.

Call a spade a spade.
Don't make excuses for substandard stuffs dished out.

Just today, a police ran my plates and showed me that my car was recorded as black in the database instead of wine colour.

I just dey look am. He pocketed my papers. I told him to enter the car let's go to their station. Omo, the guy gave me back my papers and walked away.

We let these idiots get away with their stupidity a lot and they now think it's right.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Illegal To Repaint My Fading Vehicle Number Plates? by evictor305: 1:19pm On May 11, 2022
They'll produce same one and collect the old one
Average9jaman:

Wil they produce the same number u were using or give you a new number?
Re: Is It Illegal To Repaint My Fading Vehicle Number Plates? by suruwilliams(m): 7:58am On Aug 26, 2022
worldman:
Reprinting of plate number from from is just 10k and its not illegal
please at where
Re: Is It Illegal To Repaint My Fading Vehicle Number Plates? by Dododawa01: 11:15am On Aug 26, 2022
aieromon:

Yes. The law states that faded plates should be replaced.

Whoever is responsible for printing these plates is doing a very poor job. These plates start fading into the second year of use.

That's not true but our issue is d detergent or soap u are using. Some detergent or soap contains too much of sulphonic or caustic soda, which may affect d plate number or even your car paint. Always make use of water. I'm not saying it may not fade but it will take time but mine is 4 years this year and its legible.
Re: Is It Illegal To Repaint My Fading Vehicle Number Plates? by rumenase(m): 11:23am On Aug 27, 2022
Saynoomore:

That job na scam! Extremely shoddy painting. It's totally unacceptable. We are talking of another 25k here for buying a pig in a poke! Then after 2 years again, you pay another 25k!!!!!
in another 2yrs it will be 35k
Re: Is It Illegal To Repaint My Fading Vehicle Number Plates? by michaelbiz: 7:40am On Mar 10
aieromon:

Yes. The law states that faded plates should be replaced.

Whoever is responsible for printing these plates is doing a very poor job. These plates start fading into the second year of use.

Saynoomore:

That job na scam! Extremely shoddy painting. It's totally unacceptable. We are talking of another 25k here for buying a pig in a poke! Then after 2 years again, you pay another 25k!!!!!

9icetoo:

Here is what I did when in a similar situation.

Used a fine brush to make out the letterings in glossy blue colour. Took the plates to painter who coated it with clear coat.

Then I never accepted when stopped that it was my handwork. I always insisted that this was how they issued it to me. grin

From the FRSC Official Website, as at TODAY,

VEHICLE NUMBER PLATE VIOLATION (NPV)
PENALTY IS N3'000 ONLY.

Brethren, use that information however you see fit. grin One love my people cheesy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is It Illegal To Repaint My Fading Vehicle Number Plates? by sawep: 2:00pm On Apr 10
Nigerian number plate fades over time.This could be as a result of the environmental factors or the standard of the materials been used.Also the vehicle owners uses strong detergent to wash their cars which can easily reduce the quality of the painting on the car and also the number plate.
Personally i have seen somany number plates been repainted.Unfortunately some are poorly done by road side artist.
All you need do is to pay for replacement(new one) and the problem is solve.
The challenge is that often times the quality of the new number plate may not be as thick as the old one but its genuine
Re: Is It Illegal To Repaint My Fading Vehicle Number Plates? by 2shure: 5:21pm On Apr 10
The major cause of cars plates getting faded are numerous. From rough mechanic,to rough panel beater, towing van,cars reversing and hitting your plates,okada hiting your plates,u running into a dog,stray goat,cat,sheep. They always target your plates maybe it's cos it's white. If u check very well,most cars front plates are very rough ,than the back plates.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

The Top 10 Concept Cars Of 2017 (Photos) / What Is With Honda Cars And Their Tyres That Always Cave In. / Are These The Worst Paint Jobs Ever Done On Cars?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.