Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,132 members, 7,814,952 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:38 AM

What Attracted You To Learn how to code? - Programming (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / What Attracted You To Learn how to code? (13007 Views)

Corridorspreeuniversity: Learn To Code For Free / Hot!!! How To Learn To Code Using Your Android Device / Teach Yourself To Code (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Attracted You To Learn how to code? by airsaylongcome: 6:35pm On Feb 15, 2022
Alusiizizi:

As a matter of fact, that is precisely what I'm trying to say.

Really?! In your little perception, females are dumb? Like are you for real?

Modified
You know what? Never mind. I'm not willing to engage on this after going through your post history. You are right. They are dumb
Re: What Attracted You To Learn how to code? by Samsnicks1: 6:52pm On Feb 15, 2022
Lalami3232:
A day without me writing code is a wasted day. Nothing sweet reach backend for this life. If you come go be fullstack, life go sweet you more.
I'm a software engineer and I have no other life!!!
can u pls msg me on WhatsApp need pple on this back end... Though I'm just learning python pls will appreciate if 7 can reach me on what's app @ 08143662977... Thanks in anticipation
Re: What Attracted You To Learn how to code? by internationalman(m): 7:45pm On Feb 15, 2022
Alusiizizi:

As a matter of fact, that is precisely what I'm trying to say.

So you mean there are no guys some girls are more brilliant than?
Re: What Attracted You To Learn how to code? by Lalami3232(m): 7:46pm On Feb 15, 2022
Samsnicks1:
can u pls msg me on WhatsApp need pple on this back end... Though I'm just learning python pls will appreciate if 7 can reach me on what's app @ 08143662977... Thanks in anticipation

What do you wish to know? Say it here and I would reply you
Re: What Attracted You To Learn how to code? by Albertone(m): 8:11pm On Feb 15, 2022
motionarena:

Really, am in the same shoe.
Do you still remember what you have learned?

I still remember the basics.
Within 1 month of brushing up, I'll reach where I was before I stopped.

1 Like

Re: What Attracted You To Learn how to code? by Albertone(m): 8:12pm On Feb 15, 2022
Re: What Attracted You To Learn how to code? by Albertone(m): 8:16pm On Feb 15, 2022
debbie:
Okay back in the days i started learning coding out of curiosity and i started with Visual basic(VB) ....but I had to pause . After some years i went in fully as a software engineer and that curiosity kept me going. It takes more than passion to continue in coding, especially when the whole thing doesn't make sense and the expected result is not coming, plus debugging is more than enough to knock you out.
Commitment and disciple for my career pursuit kept me moving...So aside interest and the trend to be tech savvy.....you need more than these to push yourself. And if you dont have the right network of people, you easily get discouraged.

Please what is the learning curve for a software engineer?
I can't seem to differentiate it from Software development.
Re: What Attracted You To Learn how to code? by Bismag(m): 8:37pm On Feb 15, 2022
I am moved by how you transition to combine this two things together. I am a fresh grad major in Accounting but has insatiable passion for programming.

Right now I am a python programmer with Django knowledge on my sleeve.

I would like to connect with you.
Can you drop your infor here.
Re: What Attracted You To Learn how to code? by Bismag(m): 8:41pm On Feb 15, 2022
Seems like you share my aspiration.
Let's connect bro.
This is my digit 08149046612
Re: What Attracted You To Learn how to code? by Tissyjay(f): 9:26pm On Feb 15, 2022
temitayo315:

See the earlier you start the better. The secret to getting started is to begin. I started with youtube video, now I'm a backend developer in a software company. I have wrote a guide on "HOW TO LEARN CODING FOR FREE ONLINE". You may find it helpful - https://teetaryo.com/how-to-learn-coding-for-free-online/

Very helpful.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Attracted You To Learn how to code? by jimmynauty: 9:37pm On Feb 15, 2022
I don't like typing but write a code do so much repeatable.
Re: What Attracted You To Learn how to code? by rinzaugustine: 2:31am On Feb 16, 2022
I wish the youths will realize IT is the future and not this nonsense yahoo they are doing which will hurt their opportunities in future
Re: What Attracted You To Learn how to code? by Dejavu44: 3:34am On Feb 16, 2022
OmejeGuy:

I was forced to learn C++ in my 300L. I hated the Aboki lecturer so no concrete interest aside the course
I suspect you an Akokite and Engineering dept. Everybody hated that Aboki lecturer, he derived pleasure in giving students extra year. Good thing you dint joke with his course
Re: What Attracted You To Learn how to code? by minasu190: 7:36am On Feb 16, 2022
Pls i want to learn this coding what are the requirement?
Re: What Attracted You To Learn how to code? by debbie(f): 8:34am On Feb 16, 2022
A Developer knows how to code and may have the technical skills needed to build meaningful products. A software engineer follows a systematic process of understanding requirements, working with stakeholders, and developing a solution that fulfills their needs. A Developer tends to work alone. A software engineer is part of a larger team”
Also in summary----
1.So the software developer is mainly focused on developing code that is a part of the software development cycle. An engineer designs and plans applying the principles of engineering to software development. Always aware of the “big picture”, with talents in many areas

2.Anyone can be a software developer. If you know a small amount of programming concepts then you have the foundation to become a Software Developer. Not everyone can be a software engineer.

Albertone:

Please what is the learning curve for a software engineer?
I can't seem to differentiate it from Software development.

1 Like

Re: What Attracted You To Learn how to code? by debbie(f): 8:43am On Feb 16, 2022
If you want to go into TECH, coding is not the only aspect....i have started seeing a lot of people who are interested in coding. The truth is you need to understand why you want to be a programmer.

In the coming years coding will no longer be as we all know. Already there are tools that have already developed codes and it needs you to work on the functionality...instead of coding from scratch. You need to know that technology is transient. So start thinking beyond coding alone and how to grow with the trends in the tech space. As a beginner, you will surely be confused at this point because you are yet to understand where to start.
Re: What Attracted You To Learn how to code? by Albertone(m): 10:03am On Feb 16, 2022
Re: What Attracted You To Learn how to code? by Nobody: 2:56pm On Feb 16, 2022
internationalman:

So you are trying to say girls don't have brain or what.

You people are unbelievable
That guy is daft just ignore him.
In the company I work, my department alone has 7 female software developers, networking department has 5 ladies working as network engineers.
There are so many ladies already in tech and some are moving in to.

This same algorithms we use today was invented by a woman Ada Lovelace.

Just ignore them

1 Like

Re: What Attracted You To Learn how to code? by airsaylongcome: 3:41pm On Feb 16, 2022
Simran94:

In the company I work, my department alone has 7 female software developers, networking department has 5 ladies working as network engineers.

Just ignore them

It's terribly sad when males express those kinds of opinions about females in tech. When I was in uni, I had a younger female friend who had a very genuine interest in programming. She was a female female (not a tomboy) and just needed a bit of mentoring. She somehow gravitated towards me amongst all the other males that seemed to stand out in programming. What I liked about her was that she put in huge effort. She didn't just believe in "this is the program and it works". She queried every damned thing. Why certain choices were made, why those choices were picked amongst the various alternatives and wanted to know why the chosen alternatives were sub-optimal. By the time we were doing Data Structures and Algorithms, hanty dey hold deep engagement with lecturer on the various search and sorting algorithms. There are loads of her type in Nigeria that have to cope with male counterparts looking down on their ability. It really is a struggle for female techs here in Nigeria (and globally as well)

Funny enough, the lead developer at my (remote) place of work is a female Arab-American. That one is a colossus. She's one of two females on the team (the other being a Libyan Network engineer). I tread carefully around them cos dem sabi pass the brothers wey own the business (and those ones eat tech for snacks)

2 Likes

Re: What Attracted You To Learn how to code? by Nobody: 4:56pm On Feb 16, 2022
airsaylongcome:

It's terribly sad when males express those kinds of opinions about females in tech. When I was in uni, I had a younger female friend who had a very genuine interest in programming. She was a female female (not a tomboy) and just needed a bit of mentoring. She somehow gravitated towards me amongst all the other males that seemed to stand out in programming. What I liked about her was that she put in huge effort. She didn't just believe in "this is the program and it works". She queried every damned thing. Why certain choices were made, why those choices were picked amongst the various alternatives and wanted to know why the chosen alternatives were sub-optimal. By the time we were doing Data Structures and Algorithms, hanty dey hold deep engagement with lecturer on the various search and sorting algorithms. There are loads of her type in Nigeria that have to cope with male counterparts looking down on their ability. It really is a struggle for female techs here in Nigeria (and globally as well)

Funny enough, the lead developer at my (remote) place of work is a female Arab-American. That one is a colossus. She's one of two females on the team (the other being a Libyan Network engineer). I tread carefully around them cos dem sabi pass the brothers wey own the business (and those ones eat tech for snacks)

Thank you.
It is even worse in Nigeria. Whenever we go for lunch at the cafeteria, some of those guys from the neighboring companies that already know what we do will be gossiping and giving side remarks as per: did we get our developer jobs by merit or by lobbying. We don’t even pay attention anymore.
Re: What Attracted You To Learn how to code? by airsaylongcome: 5:09pm On Feb 16, 2022
Simran94:

Thank you.
It is even worse in Nigeria. Whenever we go for lunch at the cafeteria, some of those guys from the neighboring companies that already know what we do will be gossiping and giving side remarks as per: did we get our developer jobs by merit or by lobbying. We don’t even pay attention anymore.

Good thing you guys don't pay them anymore attention. I wonder which tech business on earth will hire a Dev that isn't competent. When it's not a civil service job in Nigeria. In my experience in Naija, I find that females churn out better code as they often pay closer attention to minute details to avoid mistakes and allow for see finish. Same mistakes that their male counterparts would make and people will overlook, if a female makes the same mistake the "whole world" will shout "Na woman na, what do you expect?". Just keep at it. Ignore the naysayers until they fade away. Cream always rise to the top. irrespective of gender. And kudos to females like you who are able to stand and speak out. I know it's hard but don't be intimidated. Keep speaking out

1 Like

Re: What Attracted You To Learn how to code? by Nobody: 5:22pm On Feb 16, 2022
airsaylongcome:

Good thing you guys don't pay them anymore attention. I wonder which tech business on earth will hire a Dev that isn't competent. When it's not a civil service job in Nigeria. In my experience in Naija, I find that females churn out better code as they often pay closer attention to minute details to avoid mistakes and allow for see finish. Same mistakes that their male counterparts would make and people will overlook, if a female makes the same mistake the "whole world" will shout "Na woman na, what do you expect?". Just keep at it. Ignore the naysayers until they fade away. Cream always rise to the top. irrespective of gender. And kudos to females like you who are able to stand and speak out. I know it's hard but don't be intimidated. Keep speaking out

Even if na person papa get company and you don’t have programming skills, worse come to worse na Project manager role dem go give you as per lobbying. Something that you have to keep learning new languages just to meet up. Lol
Re: What Attracted You To Learn how to code? by airsaylongcome: 5:30pm On Feb 16, 2022
Simran94:

Even if na person papa get company and you don’t have programming skills, worse come to worse na Project manager role dem go give you as per lobbying. Something that you have to keep learning new languages just to meet up. Lol

Even that PM role sef you have to be competent. To deliver project on-time and within budget na beans? Which business wants to spend 2 years on a project that should take 2 weeks?

I'd like to ask, as a tech lady ehn do you come across other tech ladies interested in SysAdmin, Devops and other non-mainstream tech roles?

1 Like

Re: What Attracted You To Learn how to code? by Nobody: 5:32pm On Feb 16, 2022
grin
airsaylongcome:

Even that PM role sef you have to be competent. To deliver project on-time and within budget na beans?
The papa go hire person wey go dey put an through
grin grin
Re: What Attracted You To Learn how to code? by airsaylongcome: 5:33pm On Feb 16, 2022
Simran94:
grin
The papa go hire person wey go dey put an through
grin grin

See my updated post and let me know your experience

1 Like

Re: What Attracted You To Learn how to code? by SpeedyPuff: 6:00pm On Feb 16, 2022
I want to learn coding so I can build an arbitrage bot. Then I'll relax and be taking advantage of small price differences across every crypto market. In two years, I'll become a dollar millionaire.
Re: What Attracted You To Learn how to code? by internationalman(m): 8:31pm On Feb 16, 2022
Simran94:

Just ignore them

I've definitely ignored him.

Seeing him write something like that is just nauseating.
Re: What Attracted You To Learn how to code? by LeoFish92(m): 10:02pm On Feb 16, 2022
Lalami3232:
A day without me writing code is a wasted day. Nothing sweet reach backend for this life. If you come go be fullstack, life go sweet you more.
I'm a software engineer and I have no other life!!!

I'm currently learning Javascript. What other things should I learn to be a fullstack programmer?
Re: What Attracted You To Learn how to code? by Lalami3232(m): 2:44am On Feb 17, 2022
LeoFish92:

I'm currently learning Javascript. What other things should I learn to be a fullstack programmer?

1. HTML
2. CSS and a CSS framework such as Bootstrap or Material UI etc
3. JavaScript (learn either React, Vue, Angular for frontend)
4. Any other language for backend but I would suggest Python, JavaScript or PHP.
5. Database

1 Like

Re: What Attracted You To Learn how to code? by LeoFish92(m): 7:48am On Feb 17, 2022
Lalami3232:

1. HTML
2. CSS and a CSS framework such as Bootstrap or Material UI etc
3. JavaScript (learn either React, Vue, Angular for frontend)
4. Any other language for backend but I would suggest Python, JavaScript or PHP.
5. Database

Alright. Thanks.

Good a thing I already delved into front end some years ago before getting one yeye 9 to 5 job.

Going back to html, css and bootstrap won't be so difficult. Lemme just finish Javascript First.

Thanks buddy.

1 Like

Re: What Attracted You To Learn how to code? by Anon4: 6:21pm On Mar 08, 2022
temitayo315:

See the earlier you start the better. The secret to getting started is to begin. I started with youtube video, now I'm a backend developer in a software company. I have wrote a guide on "HOW TO LEARN CODING FOR FREE ONLINE". You may find it helpful - https://teetaryo.com/how-to-learn-coding-for-free-online/
GOD BLESS YOU
Re: What Attracted You To Learn how to code? by Schoolshooter: 7:25pm On Jan 02
I played doom and fell in love with programming

I learnt ASM first on a commodore pet , created Tetris clone in asm , moved to C and recreated Doom then I learnt Cpp and regretted learning programming

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

In What Order Did You Learn Your Languages? / Most Used Mysql Database Functions / Is There Any Statement Like C System''pause'' For Python Cos It Dissappears Immediately I run the co

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.