Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,201 members, 7,818,670 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:28 PM

I Was Promoted Ahead Of My Superior - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / I Was Promoted Ahead Of My Superior (32286 Views)

Female Army Officer Ogunleye Ruth Cries Out For Help Over Alleged Superior Maltr / Ike Eweama Promoted To Colonel In US Army (Photos) / Asp Amina, Igp Idris' Mistress Who Was Promoted From Corporal To Asp In 12 Month (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Was Promoted Ahead Of My Superior by Scetrocom: 2:55pm On Feb 16, 2022
GboyegaD:
Congratulations on your promotion.

With respect to your challenge, give each one a call and in a friendly manner ask why they are not submitting their reports as at when due. Let them know you need to know what the challenges are so that you both can work around fixing it. Should they not improve, give them a well written query stating how you have been trying to support them but they have been recalcitrant.

Please take this advise. This is the best way to go about it
Re: I Was Promoted Ahead Of My Superior by Boss13: 2:56pm On Feb 16, 2022
Asquare84:
hi naira landers,

I worked in one of the financial institution in the country, sometimes last year I was promoted to head the department at zonal level, (good News right).
here is the problem and challenges I have been facing on the job, I have almost six superior that are above me in terms of ranks, but I was made to supervise them. this superior don't send their report to me or seek my opinion on anything.

I know they are not happy with me. my regional manager on sensing that this may be a problem recommended that I should be promoted ahead of all my superior yet our management is not saying anything about the recommendation of my regional manager.

most of this superior lobbied for this position but I was picked because of my ability's to deliver on the job.

experience peeps how do I handle a situation where I am supervising my superior yet they are not reporting to me or can I issue queries to them.

Call for a meeting. Be respectful because life is transient and you never know. Seek for the support and promise them you have good intentions. If the insubordination continues escalate to your supervisor to straighten things out. However, throughout their stay in the organization be nice and respectful to me even call them Boss just to acknowledge they were once your supervisors.

With time they will get over it

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Was Promoted Ahead Of My Superior by SeriouslySense(m): 2:56pm On Feb 16, 2022
Bluntguy:
Just focus and keep doing what you were doing before you got promoted. Be bold and act like the boss you are and if they continue in their insubordination query them and copy your superiors. Pray hard and trust the Lord and you will be fine.
Re: I Was Promoted Ahead Of My Superior by SmartPolician: 2:58pm On Feb 16, 2022
Simran94:

You heard where the OP said they lobbied to get to those positions, the regional manager must have seen that they are incompetent at their jobs and the OP delivers at the job more than these people. If you don’t want to ruin a company, it obvious you would want someone who can deliver irrespective of their previous positions

Asking someone to supervise their superiors doesn't make sense to a sane mind anywhere in the world.

If they really need someone to supervise them, he should be promoted above them (like it was recommended) because everything just looks like a trap now.

Remember, anyone who used politics to get to the top can pull strings to actualize the unthinkable.

2 Likes

Re: I Was Promoted Ahead Of My Superior by Nobody: 2:59pm On Feb 16, 2022
SmartPolician:

Asking someone to supervise their superiors doesn't make sense to a sane mind anywhere in the world.

If they really need someone to supervise them, he should be promoted above them (like it was recommended) because everything just looks like a trap now.

Remember, anyone who used politics to get to the top can pull strings to actualize the unthinkable.

His regional manager has suggested that too, he should take it up with the management.
Re: I Was Promoted Ahead Of My Superior by sammieguze(m): 3:00pm On Feb 16, 2022
Whenever you want to request a report, Send an e-mail in a polite manner copying your superiors.
Even when they don't want to do it(send in the report), seeing that you are requesting it officially, they will have to respond.

Also, don't act as tho you know it all even though you do.
sometimes, ask for their opinions. Even if you won't be acting on those opinions.

Whenever you decided to go contrary to their opinion, explain to them why you decided to take the alternative course casually.

Finally, if you can, delegate some duties to them officially, again, asking in a polite manner. Let them be in charge of something. Something they can be able to do to prove their competence.

Asquare84:
hi naira landers,

I worked in one of the financial institution in the country, sometimes last year I was promoted to head the department at zonal level, (good News right).
here is the problem and challenges I have been facing on the job, I have almost six superior that are above me in terms of ranks, but I was made to supervise them. this superior don't send their report to me or seek my opinion on anything.

I know they are not happy with me. my regional manager on sensing that this may be a problem recommended that I should be promoted ahead of all my superior yet our management is not saying anything about the recommendation of my regional manager.

most of this superior lobbied for this position but I was picked because of my ability's to deliver on the job.

experience peeps how do I handle a situation where I am supervising my superior yet they are not reporting to me or can I issue queries to them.

2 Likes

Re: I Was Promoted Ahead Of My Superior by SocialJustice: 3:00pm On Feb 16, 2022
Asquare84:
hi naira landers,

I hope you know the people that promoted you in place of your former superiors are still watching? Focus on your deliverables and continue meeting your KPIs. Those guys were your superior in the past, you're their boss now. Be polite but firm and make sure they are meeting targets. If anyone underperforms continuously, follow standard company protocols to deal with it.

You're the boss now, take charge.

3 Likes

Re: I Was Promoted Ahead Of My Superior by Truckpusher(m): 3:01pm On Feb 16, 2022
Use the necessary disciplinary tools provided by the office to make them understand that you didn't promote yourself and that they must work according to your professional dictate as provided by the company policy.
Asquare84:
hi naira landers,

1 Like

Re: I Was Promoted Ahead Of My Superior by Olatara(f): 3:02pm On Feb 16, 2022
Coldie:
Do what pere did to the bbnaija housemates when he was the head of house, call them all for a meeting and tell them that u respect them all and u respect what they have done for this organisation that you being here wasn’t by your doing that you just have to perform your duty with utmost diligence to achieve the best of results.

Therefore going forward u will not accept any form of insurbodination or incompetence from anybody as the bosses at the top expects u to perform in this role you are doing your best for them so u the expect every member of your team to do same.
After everything, tell me to say 'Yes sir' and share 'grace'. wink
Re: I Was Promoted Ahead Of My Superior by airsaylongcome: 3:02pm On Feb 16, 2022
Asquare84:
hi naira landers,

I hope the grammatical errors here are not any indication of the acclaimed ability to deliver. I'm particularly irked by that "sometimes last year"
Re: I Was Promoted Ahead Of My Superior by Calicoe: 3:02pm On Feb 16, 2022
Server them query letters abi you dey look uche face?
Re: I Was Promoted Ahead Of My Superior by AZControversial(m): 3:02pm On Feb 16, 2022
neutral4u:
You can relate with them as if they 're your superior but within you, you already know that you are their superior. When relating with them, you have to set limit for them to know that you are still the boss.

the first line of your comment might make it difficult for him to set limits for them much later.
remember 'Nigerians' dont appreciate nice people.
Re: I Was Promoted Ahead Of My Superior by Segtobi(m): 3:02pm On Feb 16, 2022
To start with, congratulations on the new role.

My advice is that you make every of your interactions with them official. Send mails as much as you can. Remember it's a way of documenting things. So, when the chips are down because they have failed to do the right thing, you have your mails as evidence.

1 Like

Re: I Was Promoted Ahead Of My Superior by LesbianBoy(m): 3:06pm On Feb 16, 2022
Boss13:

Call for a meeting. Be respectful because life is transient and you never know. Seek for the support and promise them you have good intentions. If the insubordination continues escalate to your supervisor to straighten things out. However, throughout their stay in the organization be nice and respectful to me even call them Boss just to acknowledge they were once your supervisors.

With time they will get over it

You can't be too sure about that o!
Re: I Was Promoted Ahead Of My Superior by Eagban(m): 3:07pm On Feb 16, 2022
Go back to your regional manager and tell him the challenges you are facing. It will be very difficult supervising your superiors without any punitive powers. I think the management should effect your promotion ahead of your so called superiors for you to be able to do your work properly. At the moment, what they gave you is an impossible task.
Re: I Was Promoted Ahead Of My Superior by adecz: 3:07pm On Feb 16, 2022
There isn't anyway to handle such
an aberration, your superiors should
have known better.❌❌❌

You should have been promoted before
the deployment to the new position.

Such things bring bad blood in a
working environment.

Better watch your back esp if you have
skull miners, ehrbirra or Amaka in
the mix.. ☠️☠️☠️☠️

Your superiors want an early exit
out of this sinful world for you... ❗️❗️❗️

1 Like

Re: I Was Promoted Ahead Of My Superior by Nobody: 3:08pm On Feb 16, 2022
xtivin:

Make all your communication with them official, copy your superiors and behave with wisdom because they are looking for your errors daily. Don't try to be a nice guy to them because it is not worth it. Thank me later
Re: I Was Promoted Ahead Of My Superior by neutral4u: 3:09pm On Feb 16, 2022
It's all about applying wisdom when dealing/doing things with them
AZControversial:

the first line of your comment might make it difficult for him to set limits for them much later.
remember 'Nigerians' dont appreciate nice people.
Re: I Was Promoted Ahead Of My Superior by Godmercy86(m): 3:09pm On Feb 16, 2022
SmartPolician:
The person who asked you to supervise your superiors no get sense. Where on Earth does that happen?

You should write to your supervisor or the CEO, explaining the challenge you face. If it's not a major problem, please ignore it and focus on other things that matter.
write to the CEO that he can't manage his former superiors or afraid of ditching instructions to them?. Think smart plz
Re: I Was Promoted Ahead Of My Superior by Bigman247(m): 3:09pm On Feb 16, 2022
Congratulations!
You can query them and copy the appropriate authorities, if they do not respond then remind them in the email trail and they will have no choice than to respond.
Re: I Was Promoted Ahead Of My Superior by Nicerazor(m): 3:10pm On Feb 16, 2022
Watch out bro. Means they want to use you to shake some tables. I have been in your shoe before. I did my SIWES in a popular cinema in Lagos, worked in their in house Security dept coz of my undergrad program in Criminology and Security Studies.
I was converted to permanent staff, promoted to supervisor of the cinema hall attendants coz they work hand in hand with security team. There are staff who have been there for 8-13 yrs and I was not even up to 2 yrs with the company.
Barely 6 months as supervisor I received a letter from the HR to work as Assistant Business manager of a branch of the cinema in Lagos. I knew I was getting closer to my exit, I wanted to turn it down but the General Manager ( Indian) threatened me with sack.
I consulted my mentor in the coy but he said I should accept the offer to build my experiences. Long story short the GM is the one doing the magic promotion so he can use me as a mule against the branch business manager and some cartels in the branch. I worked for some months in my new role and resigned and that was one my the best decision I have made in my life.
The BM was later transferred to the Hq and she was sacked.
Some promotions especially big organizations is to USE YOU and you will be dumped eventually.
Don’t let the promotion get to your head and pls watch your back.
Do your work and don’t fight your colleague coz of another person work. My former colleague in the same company helped me with a business after like 3 months we both left the cinema.

4 Likes

Re: I Was Promoted Ahead Of My Superior by Badowski: 3:10pm On Feb 16, 2022
guy go and learn work place politics, as you said your self they are your superiors

Imagine, if your papa put yu above your elder siblings to be controlling them, do you think they will answer you

Learn from the story of Joseph in the bible and pray for wisdom.
Re: I Was Promoted Ahead Of My Superior by AZControversial(m): 3:11pm On Feb 16, 2022
neutral4u:
It's all about applying wisdom when dealing/doing things with them

..... eventually.
Re: I Was Promoted Ahead Of My Superior by Richy4(m): 3:11pm On Feb 16, 2022
Immediately u get the promotion letter,...Call each and every one of them on a zoom meeting...

Thank them for working with you.. that u have learnt a lot from them...

Tell them that u wanted them to cooperate with you to move the company to a greater height,...

The next day demand for their report... Full stop...
Re: I Was Promoted Ahead Of My Superior by Kingisibor: 3:11pm On Feb 16, 2022
Asquare84:
hi naira landers,

hello writter, issue querries to them, or escalate the matter and recommend them for an outright dismissal....
nonsense.! you are their boss they must obey your instructions if they still want to keep their job in that organisation... simple!
Re: I Was Promoted Ahead Of My Superior by seyigiggle: 3:14pm On Feb 16, 2022
speaking form experience.

1. recognise that you are no longer what you use to be in the organization and you are accountable for your actions and inactions

2. give them their respect, but never let them disrespect you.

3. Set out you goal and review it with the MD if possible.

4. have meeting with them and let them know the areas you want them to put effort.

5. never give verbal instruction as you may want to get friendly

6. appear with less threat, but be decisive and firm professionally in your actions

7. understand that they may set you up, so be vigilant

8. hold on to your God as in my case, i almost quit

9. this phase of your life shall pass, but the opportunity you make out of it would remain

10. lastly your retirement age has been shorten

Best of luck1

Asquare84:
hi naira landers,

1 Like

Re: I Was Promoted Ahead Of My Superior by flokii: 3:14pm On Feb 16, 2022
@OP It happens in the workplace where subordinates get promoted ahead of their superiors.. in your case, you have to be vigilant and extra careful in your work environment cos they'll make several attempts on your life and that is the fact. Avoid food, drinks, girls, female I.T students etc. that they can use to get to you and be prayerful.
Re: I Was Promoted Ahead Of My Superior by folks4luv(f): 3:15pm On Feb 16, 2022
Even when you hold physical meetings, note the points and resolutions, send to them via email and copy your superiors. Don't try to befriend them, they are not your friends. Be very official. Copy your superiors in all communications.

1 Like

Re: I Was Promoted Ahead Of My Superior by Bluntemperor: 3:15pm On Feb 16, 2022
yomi007k:
Congratulations boss.

Thank God that capable people are still being promoted based on competence.

You need not worry and don't think about them. Focus on your job, focus on the moment, focus on delivering the right results, stay away from shady deals or people. Those bad guys can use your weakness against you . Make sure your hands are clean.

All these lobby shit and incompetence ma him dey kill Africa.

Last last evil souls will keep going down.

Focusing on the job is not enough to sustain the OP because,they will make the job results hell for him.
- OP,since you are good on the job, continue but make your superiors reports they need to file/ forward to you is received timely by ensuring that you raised Memos on the dates and copy your Own Overall Boss on what you want from them,dates sent to them,their replies if any!
That is the only way to keep them at their feet,otherwise,they succeed in your downfall of non- performance,which is their gameplans.
Wish you success!

1 Like

Re: I Was Promoted Ahead Of My Superior by BluntCrazeMan: 3:17pm On Feb 16, 2022
Asquare84:
hi naira landers,

You can issue queries but make sure they really misbehaved before issuing the query..
Copy your superiors, so that they won't disregard the query
Re: I Was Promoted Ahead Of My Superior by Goldbw122(m): 3:19pm On Feb 16, 2022
Asquare84:
hi naira landers,

Congratulation
Re: I Was Promoted Ahead Of My Superior by Kaylad70: 3:19pm On Feb 16, 2022
Congratulations

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Journalist Vivian Ottih Suspended Indefinitely For Requesting Salary On Facebook / Check These Beautiful Photos Of A Nigerian Female Fire Fighter / If You Had The Chance To Go Back To School Will You Still Study The Same Course

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.