Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,479 members, 7,826,810 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 08:44 PM

I Was Promoted Ahead Of My Superior - Career (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / I Was Promoted Ahead Of My Superior (32302 Views)

Female Army Officer Ogunleye Ruth Cries Out For Help Over Alleged Superior Maltr / Ike Eweama Promoted To Colonel In US Army (Photos) / Asp Amina, Igp Idris' Mistress Who Was Promoted From Corporal To Asp In 12 Month (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Was Promoted Ahead Of My Superior by creepsyme(f): 4:44pm On Feb 16, 2022
Asquare84:
hi naira landers,

I worked in one of the financial institution in the country, sometimes last year I was promoted to head the department at zonal level, (good News right).
here is the problem and challenges I have been facing on the job, I have almost six superior that are above me in terms of ranks, but I was made to supervise them. this superior don't send their report to me or seek my opinion on anything.

I know they are not happy with me. my regional manager on sensing that this may be a problem recommended that I should be promoted ahead of all my superior yet our management is not saying anything about the recommendation of my regional manager.

most of this superior lobbied for this position but I was picked because of my ability's to deliver on the job.

experience peeps how do I handle a situation where I am supervising my superior yet they are not reporting to me or can I issue queries to them.
Never contemplate issuing a querry to them.
Only do an official complain to the quarter where your promotion came how they have refused to be answerable to you.
Otherwise, if their reports to you is inevitable, do a mail to them and copy your superior letting them know how without their report the job will suffer setback.

2 Likes

Re: I Was Promoted Ahead Of My Superior by 27Pushing30: 4:46pm On Feb 16, 2022
Asquare84:
hi naira landers,

I worked in one of the financial institution in the country, sometimes last year I was promoted to head the department at zonal level, (good News right).
here is the problem and challenges I have been facing on the job, I have almost six superior that are above me in terms of ranks, but I was made to supervise them. this superior don't send their report to me or seek my opinion on anything.

I know they are not happy with me. my regional manager on sensing that this may be a problem recommended that I should be promoted ahead of all my superior yet our management is not saying anything about the recommendation of my regional manager.

most of this superior lobbied for this position but I was picked because of my ability's to deliver on the job.

experience peeps how do I handle a situation where I am supervising my superior yet they are not reporting to me or can I issue queries to them.

as someone who also works in a financial institution i don't really understand your post OP.

especially on the part of being i.e a Team lead ahead of your superiors...
Re: I Was Promoted Ahead Of My Superior by Hammylawali: 4:49pm On Feb 16, 2022
hi dear, you don't have anything to worry about. just work with them and carry them along when necessary. but if the relationship doesn't improve and you sense beef, then you need to put them in their place and scold them all....
Asquare84:
hi naira landers,

Re: I Was Promoted Ahead Of My Superior by adebwalex(m): 4:54pm On Feb 16, 2022
Asquare84:
hi naira landers,

You need to act like a boss for you to deliver more and impress the people who gave you that promotion, Dont look at them like your former boss, but look at the work given before you for excellent delivery. A boss should act like a boss but dont put in pride. Be Modest, simple and straight forward...
Re: I Was Promoted Ahead Of My Superior by ATTAHDYE(m): 4:58pm On Feb 16, 2022
You where not promoted ahead of anybody, you where only made a department head or product manager because you where doing well.

You will need those superiors to retain your shirt, so you better stop posting and create good raport with them.

I know how the system works, your survival depends on them. Get each of them to appoint a product champion from their direct subordinates, it is through this person you will drive sales for your department.

I rest my advice for now.

2 Likes

Re: I Was Promoted Ahead Of My Superior by fullnetwork: 5:05pm On Feb 16, 2022
Asquare84:
hi naira landers,

Are you sure you are their superior? Cos you should know what to do at this stage.
Don't use confrontation. Cos they can set you up or use juju for you. Let one of them collate the reports and send the consolidated report to you a night before D-Day.
Just pateonise them if they are far older.
If they are your age bracket, pls deploy atomic bomb if the "olive branch" doesn't work.

1 Like

Re: I Was Promoted Ahead Of My Superior by Nicerazor(m): 5:05pm On Feb 16, 2022
I’m not the source of you problem. Nothing can make sense to a frustrated dude.
frog12:
nonsense. we no learn anything from here

Re: I Was Promoted Ahead Of My Superior by smasher1(m): 5:07pm On Feb 16, 2022
Asquare84:
hi naira landers,

Quick one. Be humble. Do your job. If they don't respect you, look to God for guidance. You'll be rewarded at the right time. you may not query them, but if God says you should go higher, it would be at his own time.
Re: I Was Promoted Ahead Of My Superior by smasher1(m): 5:09pm On Feb 16, 2022
yomi007k:
Congratulations boss.

Thank God that capable people are still being promoted based on competence.

You need not worry and don't think about them. Focus on your job, focus on the moment, focus on delivering the right results, stay away from shady deals or people. Those bad guys can use your weakness against you . Make sure your hands are clean.

All these lobby shit and incompetence ma him dey kill Africa.

Last last evil souls will keep going down.

yes they are. It can only be God. Those who lobbied are always asked to go eventually.
Re: I Was Promoted Ahead Of My Superior by Salihusaliheen(m): 5:21pm On Feb 16, 2022
Don't disobey the elders no matter your status
Re: I Was Promoted Ahead Of My Superior by Memyselfu2009(m): 5:33pm On Feb 16, 2022
Have a conversation with them and tell them what you need from them In a friendly way tell them you remain there boy.
Re: I Was Promoted Ahead Of My Superior by zakkxx: 5:35pm On Feb 16, 2022
Only eat at home, don’t keep any food in your fridge if not u will be a death man! Be wise!!
Re: I Was Promoted Ahead Of My Superior by blaise26abj(m): 5:38pm On Feb 16, 2022
Asquare84:
hi naira landers,

Call for a meeting with all of them and the regional head . Take charge and let them know what you expect from them in an official tone. Don’t show fear or stutter . Be firm and assertive. With great power , comes great responsibilities . If they don’t like it , they can resign . Your good works got you there . Take charge and God bless you .
Re: I Was Promoted Ahead Of My Superior by blaise26abj(m): 5:42pm On Feb 16, 2022
Memyselfu2009:
Have a conversation with them and tell them what you need from them In a friendly way tell them you remain there boy.

Please don’t do this. You are no longer their boy . If the company realizes that you are not showing leadership qualities , they might just transfer you which might not work well with you . That’s why your regional manager asked that you should be promoted to be their overall oga . He realized that you are not taking charge . Even if your are promoted to be their boss , you will still have to be assertive and take your mantle
Re: I Was Promoted Ahead Of My Superior by tunjijones(m): 5:42pm On Feb 16, 2022
Let me give you the best advice.

Be friend them. Don't be too hard on them. Make them see that it wasn't your fault that you were promoted over them. But the work must be done. Be subtle with them don't try to use force. With time, if they are reasonable they will adjust and accept you as their boss.

Don't try to use force else they will frustrate your life cos as a manager u can never ever be successful if your subordinates are against you.

Am sure you will feel same way if you were in their shoes.

1 Like

Re: I Was Promoted Ahead Of My Superior by Megabig: 5:58pm On Feb 16, 2022
It’s a job not their family business, send a query and copy those that needed to be copied. They will either sit up or resign. Let the query be kind, remind them that “ we can only achieve more when we work together” Thunder fire their black yansh
Re: I Was Promoted Ahead Of My Superior by Angy55(f): 6:00pm On Feb 16, 2022
yomi007k:
Congratulations boss.

Thank God that capable people are still being promoted based on competence.

You need not worry and don't think about them. Focus on your job, focus on the moment, focus on delivering the right results, stay away from shady deals or people. Those bad guys can use your weakness against you . Make sure your hands are clean.

All these lobby shit and incompetence ma him dey kill Africa.

Last last evil souls will keep going down.

My work place is an example. Reason other countries are doing better than Nigeria in my organization. Bad Energy everywhere. Especially from one particular tribe like that... I won't mention though.
Re: I Was Promoted Ahead Of My Superior by izubext007: 6:05pm On Feb 16, 2022
If they are not reporting to you, what u simply do is to report them to d board of directors finish
Re: I Was Promoted Ahead Of My Superior by Teibaba(m): 6:13pm On Feb 16, 2022
If you got on that position without lobbying then your stay could be long and better on same position with keeping your ego low and observing other safety measures...
But if you got that position by lobbying...forget it. What goes around comes around. Nothing is hidden under d sun.

I have heard of a healthy nurse lady in UATH they made head of nursing. Just barely days she hot the position, she became critically ill and now she's bedridden.

Some position can take a life or make it miserable.
So just know you are dealing with not just business matters but also your life matter.
God defends the upright. I hope you're upright
Re: I Was Promoted Ahead Of My Superior by manontree: 6:25pm On Feb 16, 2022
frog12:
regional head is higher than zonal head. lagos zone, western region

Well i know that in FCMB regions are like parts of lagos whereas zones are broader. My sis works there and is a zonal head whom regional managers reports to
Re: I Was Promoted Ahead Of My Superior by Leo588(m): 6:34pm On Feb 16, 2022
Congratulations bro.

1. Do your job well and keep the target goals.
2. Make every conversation official and cordial.
3. Make request officially and politely.
4. Don't show them your pains or worries.
5. Smile when necessary.
6. Always pray and pray.
Re: I Was Promoted Ahead Of My Superior by Memyselfu2009(m): 6:52pm On Feb 16, 2022
Having a good relationship with your colleague matters. It's not your leadership skill it's you getting jobs done with stressing yourself and hurting others communicate in a way they would understand.

blaise26abj:

Please don’t do this. You are no longer their boy . If the company realizes that you are not showing leadership qualities , they might just transfer you which might not work well with you . That’s why your regional manager asked that you should be promoted to be their overall oga . He realized that you are not taking charge . Even if your are promoted to be their boss , you will still have to be assertive and take your mantle
Re: I Was Promoted Ahead Of My Superior by Psalmistproject: 6:55pm On Feb 16, 2022
Asquare84:
hi naira landers,

They're humiliated by your promotion.
Have a one on one meeting with each of them. Let them know you understand how embarrassing it is to take their position but you want them to know you don't intend to Lord or boss anyone around. The work must come first.
They may not all yeild, carry on with the few on your side. Support those few and watch as others shamefully fall in line sooner than later.
Re: I Was Promoted Ahead Of My Superior by Dcdigitals: 7:02pm On Feb 16, 2022
Involve them. For the slightest reasons, seek their opinion. This is not to say you don't know what to do initially...No. It will only make them cool thinking they count in your decision making.

Ones you have 2 or 3 of them that agrees with you...then change am for them...

Ire o
Re: I Was Promoted Ahead Of My Superior by drnoel: 7:11pm On Feb 16, 2022
shadrach77:

It's called GRACE. It's God's doing. Just enjoy your new position and deal with your previous superiors the way you'll deal with anybody. Remember two things
1. God put you in that position and only Him can remove you from it
2. Your so called superiors are no longer your superior. You are now their superior

Ofcos U don't believe this
Re: I Was Promoted Ahead Of My Superior by ChiefSweetus: 7:15pm On Feb 16, 2022
YourBestSelf:
SMH.

This is nothing new.

You want to be super careful how you tread from now onwards.

You are facing one of two popular problems in the corporate world.

For one, it could be a trap to kick you out of the firm.

In management, it is possible to promote people outside their level of competence just so you can show them the door.

The strategy is: "so everyone knows you're very good technically but a shabby people manager. Then boom you see yourself leading a large team, being accountable for not only your job but for millions of other people..."

By your next appraisal, you could get below average performance and be asked to leave.

For a second, the manager who promoted you could be a skilled people manipulator.

it's possible the manager who is rooting for you can't find a way to sack your superiors who he sees as just filling space.

So he craftily took you up so the underperformers you have been reporting to will get angry and drop their resignation letters.

It's all a management ploy. It may not be related to how well you've performed.

Being good on the job is one thing. Leading a big team is a whole different thing.

Whatever you do, tread carefully....
smiley
Re: I Was Promoted Ahead Of My Superior by dingbang(m): 7:38pm On Feb 16, 2022
They should retire them with good package
Re: I Was Promoted Ahead Of My Superior by iskalamong(m): 8:04pm On Feb 16, 2022
Asquare84:
hi naira landers,

It's simple.
Make all communications in mail.
When they fail to send their reports, write them in mails, with your superiors in copy.
This will be evidence that they're not performing their responsibilities. It will also save you later when things goes sour.
This is because, you may be asked what you did when they refused to report to you, and if you have nothing tangible in your defense, it shows incompetence in your part.

Also, watch your back, be careful in words and action. Don't allow anyone manipulate you emotionally (Avoid emotional outburst).
Be careful even with so called friends (Trust no one).
Be professional at all times, avoid gossips and shady deals.

In all, you'll be fine.
This is a phase, you'll overcome it.
That's why experience is required for senior roles because more emotional tact is required compared to the technical competence required for junior roles.

I wish you the best bro.

Isklamong
Re: I Was Promoted Ahead Of My Superior by samwillyco1(m): 8:58pm On Feb 16, 2022
Asquare84:
hi naira landers,

Congratulations Boss.

My little advice is for you to be careful with then, because they might be cooking up something against you ( I maybe be wrong or right thou ),
Call them one by one and ask them why they are falling/failed to report to you ( make sure your conversation with them is recorded ) and listen to the reasons they will give you, if to bad behaviors continues querier them officially.

Finally, Boss please I need a Job ( am tired of been jobless ), help me in anyway you can. I don tire to dey stay for house after school ooo
Re: I Was Promoted Ahead Of My Superior by Esthered: 9:24pm On Feb 16, 2022
ATTAHDYE:
You where not promoted ahead of anybody, you where only made a department head or product manager because you where doing well.

You will need those superiors to retain your shirt, so you better stop posting and create good raport with them.

I know how the system works, your survival depends on them. Get each of them to appoint a product champion from their direct subordinates, it is through this person you will drive sales for your department.

I rest my advice for now.

Dear OP, this is the most realistic advice here as you need champions at the lower level to meet your KPIs.
Re: I Was Promoted Ahead Of My Superior by godofuck231: 9:43pm On Feb 16, 2022
Keep it professional, and have regards for them , if you must compell them be kind and gentle with words but hit them hard and quiet , let them obey with authority you are vested with or you will be demoted soon for incompetence

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Check These Beautiful Photos Of A Nigerian Female Fire Fighter / If You Had The Chance To Go Back To School Will You Still Study The Same Course / Seamen: Ratings, Officers, Engineers, Captains: Please Share Your Experience

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.