Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,909 members, 7,814,073 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 05:37 AM

My 4 Year Project Adventure In Nigeria - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / My 4 Year Project Adventure In Nigeria (2037 Views)

I Want To Sell My 4 Bedroom Bungalow In Owerri 20m / My 4 Bedroom Bungalow Project / Buy My 4 Houses On 2 Plots Of Land Near Enugu City For Immediate Rental Income (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

My 4 Year Project Adventure In Nigeria by Jeff68: 10:03pm On Feb 17, 2022
2018, I started this adventure of building a house in Lagos, Nigeria in preparation for what I deemed my move back to Nigeria after almost 40yrs in the US. I initially wanted to have my cousin who is an Engineer build it for me, as a matter of fact he started it, and did a good job, but I sensed somewhere down the line if I wanted to save our relationship, I needed to take it from him. As hard as that decision was, it was the best, we can remain family and not be enemies. Even though at the time I could tell he didn't like it. Things were not going the way I wanted and I wanted to have more of a say so. Anyway, I wanted to document some things here as we are at the finishing stage now.

I mostly dealt with people outside of NL, and the experience has been interesting. Folks in Nigeria, are mostly dubious to say the least, and that is very sad to say. Frist thing they see because you live outside Nigeria is they can take advantage of you, like you don't have a brain, you are some kind of maga!

I have dealt with some people on NL, some have been very positive and some not so much. I have an enormous amount of respect for some professional on NL, some I go to there site and copy ideas and learn, believe me, I have learnt a lot since I started! Thanks to ROTECCH77, SPYDER880 (Who doesn't love Spyder?) I learnt a lot from both. Below are some of the folks I have dealt with on NL:

Topsy23 - he supplied all the wires for the house, million of naira worth, he never saw my face once and NEVER was integrity in question! I trust this guy with my money!!
ThatHistoryGuy - supplied toiletries. - Really good guy.
Adedward-hmm- jury is still out, more updates to come.

I am also hoping to work with Gbadexy for the painting, soon!

I will be post pictures of the project and say little things here and there.

5 Likes

Re: My 4 Year Project Adventure In Nigeria by gbadexy(m): 10:08pm On Feb 17, 2022
Jeff68:
2018, I started this adventure of building a house in Lagos, Nigeria in preparation for what I deemed my move back to Nigeria after almost 40yrs in the US. I initially wanted to have my cousin who is an Engineer build it for me, as a matter of fact he started it, and did a good job, but I sensed somewhere down the line if I wanted to save our relationship, I needed to take it from him. As hard as that decision was, it was the best, we can remain family and not be enemies. Even though at the time I could tell he didn't like it. Things were not going the way I wanted and I wanted to have more of a say so. Anyway, I wanted to document some things here as we are at the finishing stage now.

I mostly dealt with people outside of NL, and the experience has been interesting. Folks in Nigeria, are mostly dubious to say the least, and that is very sad to say. Frist thing they see because you live outside Nigeria is they can take advantage of you, like you don't have a brain, you are some kind of maga!

I have dealt with some people on NL, some have been very positive and some not so much. I have an enormous amount of respect for some professional on NL, some I go to there site and copy ideas and learn, believe me, I have learnt a lot since I started! Thanks to ROTECCH77, SPYDER880 (Who doesn't love Spyder?) I learnt a lot from both. Below are some of the folks I have dealt with on NL:

Topsy23 - he supplied all the wires for the house, million of naira worth, he never saw my face once and NEVER was integrity in question! I trust this guy with my money!!

I will be post pictures of the project and saying little things here and there.
Thanks for the consideration sir, I look forward to supplying quality paints to you sir.

2 Likes

Re: My 4 Year Project Adventure In Nigeria by mufutau55(m): 10:34pm On Feb 17, 2022
Following to learn. Nice house. Thx.

Hajji M.

1 Like

Re: My 4 Year Project Adventure In Nigeria by Jeff68: 10:36pm On Feb 17, 2022
mufutau55:
Following to learn. Thx.

Hajji M.

Ha�� I learnt a lot from your advice, egunmogaji also has been great! Both of you have been encouraging! Thanks!!!
Re: My 4 Year Project Adventure In Nigeria by mufutau55(m): 10:48pm On Feb 17, 2022
Jeff68:

Ha�� I learnt a lot from your advice, egunmogaji also has been great! Both of you have been encouraging! Thanks!!!

Thank you very much Sir. We all learn from each other.

Hajji M.
Re: My 4 Year Project Adventure In Nigeria by spyder880(m): 11:12pm On Feb 17, 2022
Jeff68:

I will be post pictures of the project and saying little things here and there.

Wow, such a beautiful house it turned out to be. Thanks for the mention, I am proud to be associated with this lovely edifice. Waiting till the finish and the house warming, I love eating rice, with wine of course cheesy

2 Likes

Re: My 4 Year Project Adventure In Nigeria by chatinent: 11:56pm On Feb 17, 2022
He forgot to mention me.
Re: My 4 Year Project Adventure In Nigeria by michlins(m): 4:10am On Feb 18, 2022
I'm here and following
Re: My 4 Year Project Adventure In Nigeria by rotecch77(m): 9:27am On Feb 18, 2022
Jeff68:

I will be post pictures of the project and say little things here and there.

Wow, thanks for the mentioned sir.
We can’t wait to see the final laps of the project
Re: My 4 Year Project Adventure In Nigeria by Jeff68: 11:20pm On Feb 18, 2022
rotecch77:

Wow, thanks for the mentioned sir.
We can’t wait to see the final laps of the project

I wish I can afford you! But I am an Ijebu man grin grin grin
Re: My 4 Year Project Adventure In Nigeria by rotecch77(m): 9:40am On Feb 19, 2022
Jeff68:

I wish I can afford you! But I am an Ijebu man grin grin grin

Ijebu man lolz, no problem my oga sir, you shall consider us next time

1 Like

Re: My 4 Year Project Adventure In Nigeria by michlins(m): 7:23pm On Feb 19, 2022
This was one project that's supposed to bring me to Lagos but a breakdown in communication made me not to work here
Re: My 4 Year Project Adventure In Nigeria by Jeff68: 12:06am On Feb 21, 2022
michlins:
This was one project that's supposed to bring me to Lagos but a breakdown in communication made me not to work here

My brother, but we became friends, yes, I can indeed call you one of my friend’s on NL smiley

1 Like

Re: My 4 Year Project Adventure In Nigeria by michlins(m): 4:13am On Feb 21, 2022
Jeff68:

My brother, but we became friends, yes, I can indeed call you one of my friend’s on NL smiley
yes oh. This place gives and will continue giving

1 Like

Re: My 4 Year Project Adventure In Nigeria by Jeff68: 11:55pm On Feb 26, 2022
Interlock or stamped floor? What are the advantages & disadvantages? Which is better?
Re: My 4 Year Project Adventure In Nigeria by RockOfAgesAlumi(m): 2:26am On Feb 27, 2022
Jeff68:
Interlock or stamped floor? What are the advantages & disadvantages? Which is better?
Stamped floor is ok

1 Like

Re: My 4 Year Project Adventure In Nigeria by Jeff68: 1:35pm On Mar 01, 2022
Why are Nigerian Artisans fool of lies, I asked 3 artisans to give me pictures of stamped concrete floors THEY have done in the past, all 3 sent 2 of the SAME pictures, all 3 are different individuals who do not know each other and all 3 are still claiming its there work! grin embarassed embarassed

2 Likes

Re: My 4 Year Project Adventure In Nigeria by ChybuzzDD(m): 2:22pm On Mar 01, 2022
Jeff68:
Why are Nigerian Artisans fool of lies, I asked 3 artisans to give me pictures of stamped concrete floors THEY have done in the past, all 3 sent 2 of the SAME pictures, all 3 are different individuals who do not know each other and all 3 are still claiming its there work! grin embarassed embarassed

Majority of them lie, just as majority also give overinflated bills(both in terms of quantity of materials and price per item).

Despite all these, you'll still have to devote your time or assign someone to monitor and direct them, as well as 'blocking' them from stealing your materials.

E no easy, at all. There are still a few good ones, however.

2 Likes

Re: My 4 Year Project Adventure In Nigeria by diordaves(m): 2:53pm On Mar 01, 2022
I don't like. I love it! Well done. Very lovely edifice. Following.

1 Like

Re: My 4 Year Project Adventure In Nigeria by michlins(m): 3:01pm On Mar 01, 2022
Jeff68:
it's simple. I can do a good job and upload on the internet like I have always done, someone will send it to his own artisan. That artisan will then share same picture as a sample of a job he has done or can do.

Look at the pictures below, first was a sample I got from the internet which I showed my client and he liked it and commissioned me to do it.

What you should be concerned about is if the person sending the sample can replicate same

1 Like

Re: My 4 Year Project Adventure In Nigeria by Jeff68: 8:26pm On Mar 15, 2022
Pls. We need filling sand, if you can deliver to ibeju at a reasonable price let me know, what us your price for a 20ton truck . Thanks
Re: My 4 Year Project Adventure In Nigeria by gbadexy(m): 4:35pm On Mar 19, 2022
Been to the site today. It was great meeting with you sir.

1 Like

Re: My 4 Year Project Adventure In Nigeria by Jeff68: 8:03pm On Mar 22, 2022
On ground for the final leg of this project! It’s already an interesting week!!!
Re: My 4 Year Project Adventure In Nigeria by michlins(m): 8:45pm On Mar 22, 2022
Jeff68:
On ground for the final leg of this project! It’s already an interesting week!!!
you're welcome

3 Likes

Re: My 4 Year Project Adventure In Nigeria by Jeff68: 6:37pm On Mar 23, 2022
michlins:
you're welcome

Thanks my brother.
Re: My 4 Year Project Adventure In Nigeria by Jeff68: 6:37pm On Mar 23, 2022
Ok, I want to bring a matter here as well, there is a certain Aluminium guy here, I will save his name for now, he has done a lot of work for me, I mean in the millions!
Roof - problems, executes, stories from start to finish.
Windows- we are still at corrections after 2 years! Inferior materials.
Bathroom doors - used inferior materials
NOW BATHROOM CUBICLES - PLS HELP US SETTLE THIS BECAUSE I KNOW HE WILL READ THIS, WE AGREED IN DECEMBER FOR HIM TO BUILD 3 CUBICLES, IN DECEMBER 2021!! THEY WERE NOT FIXED UNTIL MARCH ! ONE STORY AFTER THE OTHER, HOW THE CHINESE FACTORY WAS CLOSED,,,,,, NOW, I HAVE PAID 400k OF THE 440K AGREED. YESTERDAY HE TEXTED THAT THEY FINISHED AND I NEED TO PAY THE BALANCE, I SAID ONLY AFTER MY INSPECTION. UPON INSPECTION, I SENT HIM PICTURES OF THINGS THAT NEED TO BE CORRECTED BEFORE ANY PAYMENT. AND HE IS INSISTING THAT I NEED TO PAY HIM, HIS WORKERS ARE FAMILY MEN, (I DON’T KNOW WHAT I MA!)
HONESTLY, I HAVE GIVEN THIS GUY MORE CHANCES THAN HE DESERVES! I AM NOT PAYING A PENNY UNTIL ALL CORRECTIONS ARE COMPLETED!!
ARE MY WRONG?
Re: My 4 Year Project Adventure In Nigeria by gbadexy(m): 9:08am On Mar 24, 2022
I honestly can't fathom how anyone can have dispute with you sir.
It was a great honor supplying you.
Being mobilized 100% based on trust. I can only wonder how some people would still mess up such opportunity.

1 Like

Re: My 4 Year Project Adventure In Nigeria by Jeff68: 9:32pm On Mar 31, 2022
So, after 2 weeks in 9ja, we were able to accomplish some things, right now, we are about 96% finished. This country can be very challenging! 99% of the people are not truthful nor hard working! Sorry, just my opinion. Liar everywhere �but we give all Glory to Almighty God for His Grace even for the little we are able to achieve. I must give gbadexy a lot of credit for his maturity. Please, please, please patronize him!, u will never regret it! I assure u! In fact I am willing to guarantee it! His paints are just as good as Home Depot’s �

1 Like

Re: My 4 Year Project Adventure In Nigeria by Jeff68: 8:54am On Apr 01, 2022
On the issue of the Aluminium guy, I didn’t say it was resolved, I just let it go and may just count it as loss. I was warned before even giving him the job, but, see, I have this forgiving spirit and want to believe the best in human. I have gotten many chances in life and I chose to return the same. My brother and wife warned me not to give him anything, I gave him the roof, it was messed up, I gave him windows, it was messed up,I gave bamboo to buy,it was messed up, what made me think this will not be messed up? To top it off, he was beginning to be rude to me! I paid him off never to deal with him again! Let those who are coming to his aid support his business, I have tried!

Currently, we have several things going on, internal painting, the painter is doing a great job so far, and he has the right attitude, he wants to satisfy his client. I believe he also painted for another NLander, Thenext?

TV console to be done next week by Hamtabfawaz NL Interior Designer.

Gate, fence and stamped floor is being done by non Nlanders. I will post more pictures next week.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: My 4 Year Project Adventure In Nigeria by Jeff68: 5:56pm On Apr 08, 2022
Some of the work ongoing this week: stamped floor - let me know what u think.
finishing electrical work. Wires supplied by my trusted wire guy! Topsy23! Trust him with your money, he will not disappoint!
Fence- design chosen by my bricklayer �, but I like his intuition!
Painter should return next week!

1 Like

Re: My 4 Year Project Adventure In Nigeria by michlins(m): 6:13pm On Apr 08, 2022
I like the wall.

2 Likes

Re: My 4 Year Project Adventure In Nigeria by Jeff68: 6:21pm On Apr 08, 2022
michlins:
I like the wall.

thanks my brother!!

(1) (2) (Reply)

5bedroom Duplex @ Emina Crescent For Rent 4m Per Annual / Investment In Real Estate Made Easy / Bricks And Bars Phase2 600k 2 Min Drive From La Campagne Tropicana

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.