Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,010 members, 7,817,977 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:16 AM

My Landlord Served Me A Quit Notice And I Want To Know What What My Rights Are - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / My Landlord Served Me A Quit Notice And I Want To Know What What My Rights Are (36412 Views)

My Landlady Just Brought A Quit Notice To Me Out Of The Blue! / I Just Spent 1year And The Landlady Served Me Notice To Quit. What Should I Do? / Should The Tenant Who Is Served A Quit Notice Still Pay The Landlord? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Landlord Served Me A Quit Notice And I Want To Know What What My Rights Are by Eseries(m): 7:06pm On Oct 25, 2018
Hello Nairalanders!

I am just another young Nigerian who resides in Lagos still struggling, hustling and chasing my dreams.

Unfortunately, I have a selfish Landlord. He asks for money all the time, I cooperated last year and each time he does ask, I find something for him.
This year I want to be much more prudent with my expenses and I only want to pay for my rent when it is due because if I continue the same way, I might end up paying 5 years upfront and that means I am working just to satisfy my rather selfish Landlord.

Here comes the hurdle, my rent will be due by December. My Landlord just served me a quit notice to vacate my apartment by January next year, only a month after my rent must have expired.

I pay my rent annually and will like to know what my rights are in a situation like this.
I know and accept that I will definitely vacate his property but how long more does the law permit me to stay and make arrangement for the next place to move in.

Once again the quit notice was served to me today to vacate by January, 2019. My rent is still active and expires December 30, 2018.

I am counting on lawyers in the house and experienced Nairalanders to put me through on my next move. I think I should be entitled to 6 months stay after the expiration of my rent by law to make arrangement to move i.e June 2019.
Am I right? can someone just throw me out of his property by January when my rent expires by December?

I am not sure the rightful section to put this thread, the mod please do the needful so this gets enough exposure so people can contribute, I just want to get the right information so no one can mess with my rights.
Thank You!

3 Likes

Re: My Landlord Served Me A Quit Notice And I Want To Know What What My Rights Are by qwertyboss(m): 7:43pm On Oct 25, 2018
Just take that letter with you to any tribunal court and lay down your complain to them because according to constitution, a tenant is entitled to six months notice after his tenancy had expired. Be wise and open your eyes if not your land lord will cheat you! Take vehement step ahead of him. A stitch in time time, saves nine!

97 Likes 9 Shares

Re: My Landlord Served Me A Quit Notice And I Want To Know What What My Rights Are by Samuelwin(m): 7:48pm On Oct 25, 2018
Bro just look for other alternative. Don't waste ur resource & time. Even if u take him to court & u win. Just remember those landlord won't let u go like that before he jazz u and u start visiting spiritualist for solution. Some time God uses some people to save other situations.

158 Likes 9 Shares

Re: My Landlord Served Me A Quit Notice And I Want To Know What What My Rights Are by Eseries(m): 8:55pm On Oct 25, 2018
qwertyboss:
Just take that letter with you to any tribunal court and lay down your complain to them because according to constitution, a tenant is entitled to six months notice after his tenancy had expired. Be wise and open your eyes if not your land lord will cheat you! Take vehement step ahead of him. A stitch in time time, saves nine!

Thank you.

I just want to be sure I am on the right side of Law.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Landlord Served Me A Quit Notice And I Want To Know What What My Rights Are by Eseries(m): 9:05pm On Oct 25, 2018
Samuelwin:
Bro just look for other alternative. Don't waste ur resource & time. Even if u take him to court & u win. Just remember those landlord won't let u go like that before he jazz u and u start visiting spiritualist for solution. Some time God uses some people to save other situations.

I have accepted that I will leave, I am not even enjoying the place any longer but one month is not fair na.

8 Likes

Re: My Landlord Served Me A Quit Notice And I Want To Know What What My Rights Are by magicminister: 12:32pm On Oct 26, 2018
Loool...

Two of my My tenants on my Ikeja property have been owing me rent for 2 years and refused to leave so I am taking it through the court which is a painfully slow process. I charge them 500k per annum on premium GRA property but they still can’t meet up!!

Bro, your landlord also has responsibilities but if you’ve been a responsible tenant and pay your rent when due, then you might wanna talk to a lawyer. Shouldn’t cost more than 50k to get a court injunction imploring him to halt on eviction till your rent expires (According to lagos tenancy laws, you also have a grace period of 6 months if you rent contract indicated annual tenancy).

71 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Landlord Served Me A Quit Notice And I Want To Know What What My Rights Are by outlooka5(f): 12:33pm On Oct 26, 2018
cheesy
Re: My Landlord Served Me A Quit Notice And I Want To Know What What My Rights Are by Gwilld(m): 12:33pm On Oct 26, 2018
Sir please use the money you have saved and start searching for a new place. Your landlord will win the case like APC primaries in Lagos. Good luck as you search for a new house.

19 Likes

Re: My Landlord Served Me A Quit Notice And I Want To Know What What My Rights Are by dykedarlyn(m): 12:33pm On Oct 26, 2018
If you are really serious about leaving the place then between now and the end of January should be enough for you to get another decent place; I see no reason why you would want to stretch it further

69 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Landlord Served Me A Quit Notice And I Want To Know What What My Rights Are by SolutionMee: 12:33pm On Oct 26, 2018
cheesy
If I were you, I'll learn from your landlord, work hard and build my own apartment. The only right you have is to learn to be an independent lady. You're not supposed to be living in his house for free. Nothing comes free in life. Please change your mentality.

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Landlord Served Me A Quit Notice And I Want To Know What What My Rights Are by justice212: 12:33pm On Oct 26, 2018
Just approach the court

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: My Landlord Served Me A Quit Notice And I Want To Know What What My Rights Are by Realisticallyme: 12:33pm On Oct 26, 2018
Ur a young man, u will own ur own house one day.
Simply go n look for house elsewhere n vacate the mans premises.
The worst thing tht can happen to u is to have litigation over ur place of residence.
Use d money u will give those hungry lawyers tht will tell u my friend u have a case, add it up n pay elsewhere.
People don’t kn the value of peace.
Thank me later.

72 Likes 4 Shares

Re: My Landlord Served Me A Quit Notice And I Want To Know What What My Rights Are by Nobody: 12:33pm On Oct 26, 2018

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Landlord Served Me A Quit Notice And I Want To Know What What My Rights Are by cocoboss(m): 12:34pm On Oct 26, 2018
nor be your mates dey buy house for banana island...poor man grin grin

6 Likes

Re: My Landlord Served Me A Quit Notice And I Want To Know What What My Rights Are by Jamexjulius(m): 12:34pm On Oct 26, 2018
Get a lawyer and sue him.... case closed grin

IN OTHER NEWS, CHECKOUT MY SIGNATURE SND BE FINANCIALLY FREE

1 Like

Re: My Landlord Served Me A Quit Notice And I Want To Know What What My Rights Are by directonpc(m): 12:34pm On Oct 26, 2018
Naa him house oo

3 Likes

Re: My Landlord Served Me A Quit Notice And I Want To Know What What My Rights Are by omotoda(m): 12:34pm On Oct 26, 2018
Eseries:

I have accepted that I will leave, I am not even enjoying the place any longer but one month is not fair na.

If you have the means,just leave.Not worth troubling yourself over!!

10 Likes

Re: My Landlord Served Me A Quit Notice And I Want To Know What What My Rights Are by Nbote(m): 12:34pm On Oct 26, 2018
Ur right is to find anoda house and pack ur load urself if U don't want to meet dem outside...D stress of pursuing a case isn't worth it

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Landlord Served Me A Quit Notice And I Want To Know What What My Rights Are by EmekaBlue(m): 12:35pm On Oct 26, 2018
just pack to another house coz that place will be a living hell for u if u try to fight it...

Remember no b ur house

7 Likes

Re: My Landlord Served Me A Quit Notice And I Want To Know What What My Rights Are by Nobody: 12:36pm On Oct 26, 2018
Waiting for the lawyers to wade in.
Re: My Landlord Served Me A Quit Notice And I Want To Know What What My Rights Are by SaintHilary(m): 12:36pm On Oct 26, 2018
Y'all telling him park out like say money dey eazi to gather rent house..bro fite for ur rite
Jazz or no Jazz...if u didn't do anything wrong notin dey happen...wen it's d rite tym go ur way
PS u don't need a girlfriend wen you're looking for money to move out
My 2cents

7 Likes

Re: My Landlord Served Me A Quit Notice And I Want To Know What What My Rights Are by Shhhh01(f): 12:36pm On Oct 26, 2018
Eseries:
Hello Nairalanders!

I am just another young Nigerian who resides in Lagos still struggling, hustling and chasing my dreams.

Unfortunately, I have a selfish Landlord. He asks for money all the time, I cooperated last year and each time he does ask, I find something for him.
This year I want to be much more prudent with my expenses and I only want to pay for my rent when it is due because if I continue the same way, I might end up paying 5 years upfront and that means I am working just to satisfy my rather selfish Landlord.

Here comes the hurdle, my rent will be due by December. My Landlord just served me a quit notice to vacate my apartment by January next year, only a month after my rent must have expired.

I pay my rent annually and will like to know what my rights are in a situation like this.
I know and accept that I will definitely vacate his property but how long more does the law permit me to stay and make arrangement for the next place to move in.

Once again the quit notice was served to me today to vacate by January, 2019. My rent is still active and expires December 30, 2018.

I am counting on lawyers in the house and experienced Nairalanders to put me through on my next move. I think I should be entitled to 6 months stay after the expiration of my rent by law to make arrangement to move i.e June 2019.
Am I right? can someone just throw me out of his property by January when my rent expires by December?

I am not sure the rightful section to put this thread, the mod please do the needful so this gets enough exposure so people can contribute, I just want to get the right information so no one can mess with my rights.
Thank You!
You don't have any rights nikkur, it is not your house. Park out with dignity.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Landlord Served Me A Quit Notice And I Want To Know What What My Rights Are by Newboss(m): 12:36pm On Oct 26, 2018
Guy, just pack out angry Don't push it because it's not worth it angry

1 Like

Re: My Landlord Served Me A Quit Notice And I Want To Know What What My Rights Are by Mac2016(m): 12:36pm On Oct 26, 2018
Re: My Landlord Served Me A Quit Notice And I Want To Know What What My Rights Are by Alagbaraa(m): 12:37pm On Oct 26, 2018
Some landlords can be selfish I tell you, always collecting rent in advance. Especially the jobless ones.
Re: My Landlord Served Me A Quit Notice And I Want To Know What What My Rights Are by MrRhymes101(m): 12:37pm On Oct 26, 2018
Its not worth the troubles tho... Wedding MC
Re: My Landlord Served Me A Quit Notice And I Want To Know What What My Rights Are by SaintHilary(m): 12:37pm On Oct 26, 2018
cocoboss:
nor be your mates dey buy house for banana island...poor man grin grin
And u leave in parkview i guess?

3 Likes

Re: My Landlord Served Me A Quit Notice And I Want To Know What What My Rights Are by Mac2016(m): 12:37pm On Oct 26, 2018
Eseries:
Hello Nairalanders!

Thank You!
Re: My Landlord Served Me A Quit Notice And I Want To Know What What My Rights Are by chloride6: 12:37pm On Oct 26, 2018
Yes you are entitled to Six month Notice... But the law doesnt entitle you to Six Months Free Rent.

The law expects you to pay for the period spent in the notice period.

So anyway you will still pay for the accommodation. If you refuse the council can come and seize your property for refusing to pay for the six months period.

59 Likes 7 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Help! Flood Take Over A Nairalander's House In Benin / I / 4Sale Newly Built Ensuite 3 Bedroom Bungalow with BQ @11m

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.