Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,573 members, 7,861,735 topics. Date: Saturday, 15 June 2024 at 06:10 PM

Why Is Revenue Gotten From Breweries Given To Sharia States? - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Is Revenue Gotten From Breweries Given To Sharia States? (5166 Views)

Amaechi On His Way To Sharia Court To File Appeal Against Supreme Court Judgemen / No Room For Full Sharia Implementation In Nigeria – Buhari / Boss Putin Says No To Sharia And Multiculturalism (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Is Revenue Gotten From Breweries Given To Sharia States? by deadie(m): 8:41pm On Jun 27, 2011
I once gave pork meat to a muslim, he thought it was lamb. I always have a smile whenever we meet grin grin grin
Re: Why Is Revenue Gotten From Breweries Given To Sharia States? by ektbear: 8:44pm On Jun 27, 2011
deadie:

I once gave pork meat to a muslim, he thought it was lamb. I always have a smile whenever we meet grin grin grin

lmao

Pork tastes way different from lamb. How did he not realize the difference?

Would he confuse chicken for beef too or something? grin

I think he was pretending
Re: Why Is Revenue Gotten From Breweries Given To Sharia States? by Remii(m): 11:56pm On Jun 27, 2011
deadie:

With a friend like you, that guy does not need an enemy. If you can feed him with what you know he forbids, you could do anything to him. May God save us "friends?"

Topic:

Breweries sell other products that are consumed by everybody including Muslims such as malts and bottles water, also alcohol is allowed to be sold in certain areas in those so called sharia states, all hotels are allowed to sell alcohol. There are non Muslims in those states too buying alcohols, so those states are eligible to taxes paid by breweries. However, vat and taxes should be allocated based on contribution to the government purse.

We should stop fanning embers of disunity among us.
Re: Why Is Revenue Gotten From Breweries Given To Sharia States? by naijaking1: 12:09am On Jun 28, 2011
^^^
Ambers of disunity are lies, pretensions, and fabrications made for fundamentalist religious purposes.
You could always look through the accounting books of these companies, and make sure your "pious"islamic hands don't touch those funds from the sale of alcohol.
Having non-muslims didn't stop these crazy states from adopting the so-called sharia laws, did it?
Re: Why Is Revenue Gotten From Breweries Given To Sharia States? by Remii(m): 12:21am On Jun 28, 2011
naijaking1:

^^^
Having non-muslims didn't stop these crazy states from adopting the so-called sharia laws, did it?

Sharia law is a legal part on Nigeria constitution. There are two parts to constitution, Civil and Criminal. All parts of Nigeria accept and allow the civil part, the contesious part is criminal codes. Marriage under Islamic law is a part of civil code and is recorgnised in Nigeria.
Re: Why Is Revenue Gotten From Breweries Given To Sharia States? by naijaking1: 1:00am On Jun 28, 2011
^^
Everybody knows about the alkali laws that were there at independence, the south also have their own equivalent of customary court system. If you live in Kano, and your religion, culture, tradition, and civil right permits you to drink beer, and you probably do; some religious zealots will attack and brutalize you, because it's a sharia state where sinners like to pretend to be pious. This issue is yet to be settled, because even northern leaders who had benefitted from organizing riots to the disadvantage of southerners are now dying from their own swords.
Re: Why Is Revenue Gotten From Breweries Given To Sharia States? by nduchucks: 1:39am On Jun 28, 2011
When most of your states' expenses were funded by government revenues wherein more that 60% came from proceeds from Kano Groundnuts pyramids, you selfish hypocrits did not complain. awon olodo
Re: Why Is Revenue Gotten From Breweries Given To Sharia States? by naijaking1: 2:20am On Jun 28, 2011
^^^
Got your history wrong again. What was proceeds from palm oil and coal used for if groundnut was paying for my people?
Re: Why Is Revenue Gotten From Breweries Given To Sharia States? by nduchucks: 2:26am On Jun 28, 2011
Go and look it up, proceeds from palm oil and coal contributed a miniscule amount compare to Kano groundnuts. Don't try to rewrite history, some of us are not blind almajiris. We are on to your tricks.

Cocoa and groundnuts were Nigeria's two major exports until petroleum surpassed both in 1965. Proceeds from groundnuts were the highest, from Cocoa 2nd, while pail oil was not even a distant third.
Re: Why Is Revenue Gotten From Breweries Given To Sharia States? by ektbear: 3:03am On Jun 28, 2011
ndu_chucks:

Go and look it up, proceeds from palm oil and coal contributed a miniscule amount compare to Kano groundnuts. Don't try to rewrite history, some of us are not blind almajiris. We are on to your tricks.

Cocoa and groundnuts were Nigeria's two major exports until petroleum surpassed both in 1965. Proceeds from groundnuts were the highest, from Cocoa 2nd, while pail oil was not even a distant third.

Where did you see this? Do you have actual #s, or is this just your general impression? Revenue-wise the Western region was a lot wealthier than the North or East pre-oil. . .at least this is my impression based on what I've read.
Re: Why Is Revenue Gotten From Breweries Given To Sharia States? by EzeUche1(m): 3:04am On Jun 28, 2011
Who cares about the past? Guess which region would be wealthier if we all go our separate ways.
Re: Why Is Revenue Gotten From Breweries Given To Sharia States? by ektbear: 3:10am On Jun 28, 2011
But he is correct in saying that North was wealthier than the East. Oil changed the fortunes of the East dramatically
Re: Why Is Revenue Gotten From Breweries Given To Sharia States? by nduchucks: 3:33am On Jun 28, 2011
ekt_bear:

Where did you see this? Do you have actual #s, or is this just your general impression? Revenue-wise the Western region was a lot wealthier than the North or East pre-oil. . .at least this is my impression based on what I've read.

My main point was that a vast majority of government revenues were from Groundnuts and Cocoa proceeds. The Northerners and westerners shared the monies with love and funded most of the capital projects in the east and the so-called south-south. The hypocrits did not complain then, they are now talking about providing taxes from Breweries to sharia states. These are ungrateful people.
Re: Why Is Revenue Gotten From Breweries Given To Sharia States? by ektbear: 3:46am On Jun 28, 2011
Your point about revenue generated relative to the former Eastern region is correct and true. All I am contesting is which zone generated the most.

This is why in hindsight I think Awolowo screwed up btw. He should have just stayed in the Western region rather than bothering with federal politics. Imagine what the region would look like today if he hadn't made that decision? cry
Re: Why Is Revenue Gotten From Breweries Given To Sharia States? by EzeUche1(m): 3:55am On Jun 28, 2011
ndu_chucks:

My main point was that a vast majority of government revenues were from Groundnuts and Cocoa proceeds.  The Northerners and westerners shared the monies with love and funded most of the capital projects in the east and the so-called south-south. The hypocrits did not complain then, they are now talking about providing taxes from Breweries to sharia states. These are ungrateful people.

Groundnut is nothing compared to oil.

The East had Palm Oil and we did not rely on any other region. Stop peddling lies.

Name one project that was funded by the North or SW in the East? You can't because every region had internal generation of revenue.

There was not any revenue sharing. Maybe to build Lagos but that is it. So stop talking nonsense.
Re: Why Is Revenue Gotten From Breweries Given To Sharia States? by EzeUche1(m): 3:56am On Jun 28, 2011
It is quite laughable that people will try to compare groundnut and cocoa to one of the most precious resources ever discovered by man which is OIL.

Oil which is an INELASTIC product, compered to the Elastic products of groundnut and cocoa. There is no comparison.

There is a reason why oil is found in large quantities in East. And I thank God the oil and Igboland has not been tapped.
Re: Why Is Revenue Gotten From Breweries Given To Sharia States? by nduchucks: 4:02am On Jun 28, 2011
ekt_bear:

Your point about revenue generated relative to the former Eastern region is correct and true. All I am contesting is which zone generated the most.

This is why in hindsight I think Awolowo screwed up btw. He should have just stayed in the Western region rather than bothering with federal politics. Imagine what the region would look like today if he hadn't made that decision? cry

To be honest, I have to agree that the Western region would have been in a better shape, but hindsight is 20/20.  

Seriously, Cocoa and groundnuts were the major export pre 1966. Note that Cocoa was 15% of total exports while groundnuts a bit less. The rest of the export included palm oil from the South, and several other minerals from the North.  When you add export proceeds from hides and Skins, Cotton, ginger, Tin, and other minerals from the North, I believe the numbers would show that the North generated the most revenue.

@Ezeuche, you've missed my point completely. This kind of unnecessary misunderstanding is why wars start. Na dis kind misinterpretation dey cause some of us to carry dagger pursue una from Kano to Sokoto. Truth is those conflicts are completely avoidable.
Re: Why Is Revenue Gotten From Breweries Given To Sharia States? by naijaking1: 4:24am On Jun 28, 2011
ndu_chucks:

My main point was that a vast majority of government revenues were from Groundnuts and Cocoa proceeds. The Northerners and westerners shared the monies with love and funded most of the capital projects in the east and the so-called south-south. The hypocrits did not complain then, they are now talking about providing taxes from Breweries to sharia states. These are ungrateful people.

Mallam, you expert strectcher of the truth, so Sarduana produced revenue from groundnuts and sent the money east to be used for estasblishng companies like ACB, Hostel presidential, and UNN?
I beg go drink your intoxicating burukutu more jare. grin
Re: Why Is Revenue Gotten From Breweries Given To Sharia States? by calid16: 5:05am On Jun 28, 2011
Pls don't derail the thread. Sharia police in kano go about breaking bottles and destroying shops of people who secretly try to sell alcohol. This bottles belong to the same breweries that pay billions of naira as tax to the F G. Why should monies from these same generated from these same companies go to those states ? Common sense abeg.
Re: Why Is Revenue Gotten From Breweries Given To Sharia States? by dogice(m): 7:33am On Jun 28, 2011
haha, many people here crack me up, i can bet that if nigeria split today the ibo will still split further into smaller groups, from the experience i got from my ibo friends, most of my friends are ibos btw, they keep arguing that anambra is better than abia is better than enugu etc, ibo people just cant stay together, its as simple as that, even the ones from anambra that claim anambra is the best of all the ibo land, i dont know how true that is, still argue that one anambra village is superior to another anambra village and that people from from a village in anambra cannot marry from another village in anambra, cant remember the name of the village, lol, wtf is that, haha
Re: Why Is Revenue Gotten From Breweries Given To Sharia States? by VALIDATOR: 8:51am On Jun 28, 2011
ndu_chucks:

To be honest, I have to agree that the Western region would have been in a better shape, but hindsight is 20/20.  

Seriously, Cocoa and groundnuts were the major export pre 1966. Note that Cocoa was 15% of total exports while groundnuts a bit less. The rest of the export included palm oil from the South, and several other minerals from the North.  When you add export proceeds from hides and Skins, Cotton, ginger, Tin, and other minerals from the North, I believe the numbers would show that the North generated the most revenue.

@Ezeuche, you've missed my point completely. This kind of unnecessary misunderstanding is why wars start. Na dis kind misinterpretation dey cause some of us to carry dagger pursue una from Kano to Sokoto. Truth is those conflicts are completely avoidable.
grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Why Is Revenue Gotten From Breweries Given To Sharia States? by ektbear: 9:43am On Jun 28, 2011
ndu_chucks:

Where did you get those #s from? E.g., the 15%?
Re: Why Is Revenue Gotten From Breweries Given To Sharia States? by seguno2: 10:36am On Jun 28, 2011
Excellent7:

It is this issue of true federalism that the guys in the legislature should be ironing out and not talking of jumbo take home package! True Federalism that the thing, so everyone will be contributing for national good. Not this set-up where folks contributing the least get the most and not being grateful, are so violent to attack, kill and maim at the drop of a hat!

That is what Tinubu and other ACN progressives have been talking about since time immemorial even as recently as early this month here.
Now that he has many, many legislators at all levels he should strategise with them on how to make this a reality starting with VAT otherwise he will just be further confirming what most people suspect i.e. he is a phony, fake progressive simply interested in his own welfare and not that of those he claims to lead.
Re: Why Is Revenue Gotten From Breweries Given To Sharia States? by faceurbook: 10:56am On Jun 28, 2011
As for me am a VEGETARIAN cool but am more comfortable using my teeth to share MEAT amongst my younger ones grin
Re: Why Is Revenue Gotten From Breweries Given To Sharia States? by edoyad(m): 3:05pm On Jun 28, 2011
faceurbook:

As for me am a VEGETARIAN cool but am more comfortable using my teeth to share MEAT amongst my younger ones grin
grin i hope you spit out after sharing the meat ?
Re: Why Is Revenue Gotten From Breweries Given To Sharia States? by faceurbook: 3:16pm On Jun 28, 2011
@edoyad,

No, first I toothpick my teeth, wash it with Hydrogen and use mouth spray to wipe any chance of violating my VEGETARIAN state grin
Re: Why Is Revenue Gotten From Breweries Given To Sharia States? by Roland17(m): 5:33pm On Jun 28, 2011
if Nigeria practices Fiscal Federalism especially on resource control, i really pity the north, they are parasites on the Nigerian Economy,
Re: Why Is Revenue Gotten From Breweries Given To Sharia States? by prodam(m): 10:47am On Jun 29, 2011
ZnO:

Message for southern muslims:
To the northern muslims, you are all infidels. That is why try hard as you can (Adegbite and Co.) you can never be head of islam in Nigeria
You see your moon differently, they see theirs differently
In the last election, Buhari, a northern muslim, refused to yield to the requests of Tinubu, a southern muslim: all because they feel superior to you.
Yet, you dey fall mugu for their antics

I was in Kano in 2001 when I visited a friend serving there
Suddenly riot broke out
Yoruba muslims, Yoruba christians, Igbos and other southern and northern christians were killed
They say you live peaceably with christians in your midst, hence you are not good muslims
They say you southern muslims drink beer and patronize asha-wos, like christians do, so you are for those reasons, not true muslims.
But please take a trip to a place called Trailer Park along the Port Harcourt-Onne Highway in River State. They come from the North to load fertilizers from NAFCON and petroleum products from the nearby NNPC. There you will see these northern muslims in hundreds who empty beer bottles into their washing kettles used for ablution and drink from it, in deceit of the unwary. You find them sleeping with southern asha-wos on the back of their trailers at night. Ask them, they tell you ''this is southern nigeria, sharia will not catch us here''. They then go back north and pretend all is well and continue with their holier-than-thou attitude.
Did Abacha not die atop Indian asha-wos, as we hear? Yet, to a northern muslim, Abacha is more important than even the holiest of southern muslims.

I pity all these southern muslims who do not want to see beyond their noses.
Sharia Bank? Hm!! They go throw bomb inside the banking hall. Guess who the most bankers in Nigeria are, and thus, who the potential victims would be
They go use your savings buy bomb wey dey go use kill you.
The emphasis on islamic banking is a red flag that should not be ignored
We have had Habib Bank etc; no one cared, because the name does not suggest anything of security interest
From the grapevine, one of the conditions given by the Mullahs in the Middle East to pump in cash is that the name must be ISLAMIC BANK to stamp in the IOC angle to it.

Even the deceit by Sanusi in mentioning that an Igbo man is a shareholder of his sharia bank is lost on so many.
Ask him why he specifically singled out that Igbo man, among 10-15 other shareholders.

Hold your ears and listen up; Sharia is on its way to Ibadan. A word is enough for the wise.

u're 90% correct
10% wrong cos of ur statement:"They go use your savings buy bomb wey dey go use kill you."
realistic but irreligious (not-islamic)
in addition to your points, the northerners are acting opposite the way people perceive them.
this is due to the fact that real Muslims are very few and scarce which is in line with the Prophets statement about hypocrisy
Re: Why Is Revenue Gotten From Breweries Given To Sharia States? by ektbear: 5:01pm On Jul 03, 2011
@ndu_chucks:

(Page 21 of Nigerian Political Parties: Power in an Emergent African Nation here: http://books.google.com/books?id=Oi0aVR4YkmUC&printsec=frontcover&dq=nigerian+political+parties&hl=en&ei=F5IQTvCpHeXKiAK_8PTXDQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CC0Q6AEwAA#v=onepage&q&f=false)

So the Western Region was by far the wealthiest pre oil. . . more than +50% wealthier per capita.

Incidentally, my local library has a copy of this Economic Survey of Nigeria, 1959 book. I'll check it out sometime this week.
Re: Why Is Revenue Gotten From Breweries Given To Sharia States? by aljharem3: 5:21pm On Jul 03, 2011
the baileys and grains used for the alcohol is gotten from the north
Re: Why Is Revenue Gotten From Breweries Given To Sharia States? by jason123: 5:23pm On Jul 03, 2011
ndu_chucks:

This is sooo funny!!! I almost died laughing!!! LOL!!! grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Why Is Revenue Gotten From Breweries Given To Sharia States? by ektbear: 11:15pm On Jul 14, 2011
@ndu_chucks: It looks like this groundnut business was kind of a big deal. I recently got my hands on an book of economic data on Nigeria from 1960-1975. There was a time Nigeria was the largest exporter of groundnut in the world shocked

Crazy.

The export revenue from the groundnut was always less than that of cocoa, but the total market value of the peanut produced was higher than that of cocoa.

Very interesting stuff, to me. I'll scan a copy of these tables if I get a chance later.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Dredging Of River Niger Completed – Obi’s Aide / Gowon: Ojukwu Misinformed Nigerians On Aburi / Diezani Alison-madueke Betrayed Jonathan By Sponsoring APC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.