Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,991 members, 7,821,456 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 01:14 PM

Would You Rather Live A Short But Successful Life Or A Long And Unfulfilled One? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Would You Rather Live A Short But Successful Life Or A Long And Unfulfilled One? (2148 Views)

I'm A 102-Year-Old — Good Sex Is My Secret To A Long Life / My Life Or My Family? / I Don't Want To Live A Normal Lifestyle: Study, Work, Marry, Have Children..etc (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Would You Rather Live A Short But Successful Life Or A Long And Unfulfilled One? by LilMissFavvy(f): 3:27pm On Feb 22, 2022
I believe the quoted part is the simple life you are trying to explain. Yes, I would chose a long life span with little or no achievements, aspirations, etc, as long as I have what to eat, drink, health, life, I'd manage. The most important thing is that the long life would give me the opportunity to take care of my children, and also see generations unborn . A simple lifestyle, lived till old age to me is better than a short life full of success and accomplishments.
Magnoliaa:
Just living simple everyday, eating, drinking, not aspiring for more, not seeing things, not meeting people, for as long as you do it for a stretch of time?

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Would You Rather Live A Short But Successful Life Or A Long And Unfulfilled One? by Magnoliaa(f): 3:39pm On Feb 22, 2022
cococandy:
I see people saying “long and fulfilled” . while I’m sure that’s what literally most people want, I think the question here is if it was either short fulfilled or long unfulfilled (long and fulfilled not being an option), which would you choose?
Na fear dey worry all of una grin

@OP, I’d choose short and fulfilled. If I had everything I ever wanted and get to enjoy it for a few decades, that’s better than long and miserable. IMO.

Ohh. Thank you! I literally love how clarified and simple you put this. Yeah. Fulfilled, happy, with everything for a short whole or long with absolutely nothing of the comforts of life... When you put it like this now, I'm definitely going for the short and successful life. And the success include everything- fulfilment, happiness, 'perfection', a great family or career, etc...

But I guess it's (the OP) opened to other interpretations somehow.

LilMissFavvy:
I believe the quoted part is the simple life you are trying to explain. Yes, I would chose a long life span with little or no achievements, aspirations, etc, as long as I have what to eat, drink, health, life, I'd manage. The most important thing is that the long life would give me the opportunity to take care of my children, and also see generations unborn . A simple lifestyle, lived till old age to me is better than a short life full of success and accomplishments.

Hmmm. Thanks for sharing your perspective as well. This is different.

So, let's say this is your idea of fulfilment - and it is attached to a short life span, would you go for it? Minus the unborn generations part.

1 Like

Re: Would You Rather Live A Short But Successful Life Or A Long And Unfulfilled One? by cococandy(f): 3:58pm On Feb 22, 2022
Magnoliaa:

Ohh. Thank you! I literally love you clarified and simple you put this. Yeah. Fulfilled, happy, with everything for a short whole or long with absolutely nothing of the comforts of life... When you put it like this now, I'm definitely going for the short and successful life. And the success include everything- fulfilment, happiness, 'perfection', a great family or career, etc...

But I guess it's (the OP) opened to other interpretations somehow.

True. And you know as humans we are hesitant about spending negativity into existence. So it’s hard for us to actually make a mental decision on what we would prefer if that choice doesn’t involve a long and fulfilled life.

That being said, even with fulfillment,wealth and every desire met, if I had the option to chose a protracted long life (90+), I still wouldn’t.
What would I be doing with myself as a 90+ year old? Like wake up and do what? Yes we are awake but what are we doing? Even the healthiest 90+ year old I’ve met are weak and frail.
I’m definitely more concerned about how death will come. I would give anything to choose how I die.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Would You Rather Live A Short But Successful Life Or A Long And Unfulfilled One? by MufasaLion: 4:29pm On Feb 22, 2022
I'd rather live a fulfilled life especially with a trip to Mars.

1 Like

Re: Would You Rather Live A Short But Successful Life Or A Long And Unfulfilled One? by LilMissFavvy(f): 5:03pm On Feb 22, 2022
Hmm, no I wouldn't. What I typed in my first reply isn't worthy to be called a fulfilled life, it's rather a "life to be managed" so if anything is taken out of what I described, I wouldn't chose that anymore.
Magnoliaa:

So, let's say this is your idea of fulfilment - and it is attached to a short life span, would you go for it? Minus the unborn generations part.

1 Like

Re: Would You Rather Live A Short But Successful Life Or A Long And Unfulfilled One? by BRATISLAVA: 7:22pm On Feb 22, 2022
Klass99:

You make a valid and thought provoking point.

Just this morning I heard Rita's husband passed away after 16 years of marriage together without a child (Rita is an acquaintance) They wanted children but couldn't have them. I thought, why not just adopt?

An ex boyfriend and the first man to ever propose marriage to me also passed away late last year. I didn't know about it till last week, he died without children but he always wanted to have them too and was into the whole marriage, kids and family life thing.

He got married but his classmate said it wasn't a good marriage, him and wifey were estranged when he passed. It took 4 days for people to notice his absence at work and his body to be discovered at home. My heart ached on hearing that he passed without ever getting the things he wanted (a good marriage and kids)

I know single people who died in the Bellview air crash some years ago, they probably wanted ABC and XYZ too, but never got it. If you are alive and not where you want to be, but you are mostly happy many days of the year, I like to think you are living a fulfilled life. Because fulfillment, simply put is happiness.

On a lighter note, what does this even mean? 6 and 9 are numbers, when you put them together you get 69 cheesy. When I say you are an ashawo now, no follow me argue.

You have seen heart-rending things, for sure. Makes one wonder what life is really all about.

People who want children remain barren. People who will abuse and dump the children in the bin will get them, maybe even one each year.
People who live frivolously will get money, while those who spend wisely will never see such amounts.
Some will cherish being married and never get to be. Others would love to go to the university but will never get to attend a lecture in their life time. Some would say a sadist is controlling things. In the end nobody can control what will happen to them as accurately as their dreams for themselves are made.

Humans live trying to get fulfillment, to enjoy happiness and yet it seems elusive. The only way is to enjoy every moment of happiness no matter how short-lived and how rare.

If people expect a short fulfilled life, what if there's an unending afterlife of suffering ahead (if it exists)? It seems humans never get what they really want. If they expect a long one, what if it's really unfulfilled and full of unachieved dreams?

The 6 and 9 could be 15 wink, but it's an image/idea that's been circulating in which someone standing and looking at the number on the floor is seeing a 6, but the person standing opposite them is seeing a 9. If only someone could help with that image. Not the type you're wanting to make me post...

5 Likes

Re: Would You Rather Live A Short But Successful Life Or A Long And Unfulfilled One? by Klass99(f): 9:58pm On Feb 22, 2022

2 Likes

Re: Would You Rather Live A Short But Successful Life Or A Long And Unfulfilled One? by Klass99(f): 10:01pm On Feb 22, 2022
Re: Would You Rather Live A Short But Successful Life Or A Long And Unfulfilled One? by BRATISLAVA: 6:55am On Feb 23, 2022
Klass99:

Second text in bold made me laugh. You put images in my head with your reference to 6 and 9, I couldn't pass up an opportunity to tease and yab you grin

At the first bolded, surprisingly I haven't been devastated or traumatised by any life events. I just take it in strides and keep grinding. When I heard about my ex, my first thought was I hope I see him again (as a believer in Christ Jesus) My second thought was about how we first met, the memory made me smile, then I laughed out loud recalling our conversation. He was a good man, I have nothing but fond thoughts plus pleasant memories of him and our time together.

On this issue of children, I wish people saddled with unwanted pregnancies would let those who want children adopt them. It's a win win situation for all parties concerned, but some fools have said I am encouraging human trafficking. How they think and reason on this side of the divide baffles me.

Don't worry, teasing game on. You haven't forgotten that time cheesy This your Christian 6-9 mind, I will not only make you think it always, but you will begin to confess those vibes.

The passing of an ex would be traumatizing. I am thoughtful of the passing of a lady I lived close to in university. And I did not even know her at a deep level. She died during child birth. I think about her sometimes. She was too happy to have passed on, so young and energetic, so happy to be pregnant. She's only a memory now. I haven't thought of meeting her again. Perhaps you aren't traumatized because you see death as a parting, to meet again. Or you have been hardened by enough of it.

Ideally people should adopt those children. But the child adoption process seems notorious for time wasting/being tedious. Not to mention religious/moral people who have objections to everything and say IVF is devilish etc. How can it be child trafficking when someone desperately wants to love and care for these abandoned children? Provided the child isn't stolen, their parents aren't tricked and won't be maltreated, it's not trafficking.

2 Likes

Re: Would You Rather Live A Short But Successful Life Or A Long And Unfulfilled One? by Nobody: 8:44pm On Mar 17, 2022
I would rather live a long and successful life, that is my life in Christ Jesus.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Would You Rather Live A Short But Successful Life Or A Long And Unfulfilled One? by Hacks4dummies: 10:38pm On Sep 03, 2022
A brief impactful life. Life boring abeg. Nothing dey inside.
Re: Would You Rather Live A Short But Successful Life Or A Long And Unfulfilled One? by Hacks4dummies: 10:45pm On Sep 03, 2022
MoneyGoDrop:
I'm personally not a fan of old age because i have seen it mess with people. I will choose a short successful life over an unfulfilled one.
you sabi
Re: Would You Rather Live A Short But Successful Life Or A Long And Unfulfilled One? by saintopus(m): 2:57pm On Sep 04, 2022
Klass99:

You make a valid and thought provoking point.

Just this morning I heard Rita's husband passed away after 16 years of marriage together without a child (Rita is an acquaintance) They wanted children but couldn't have them. I thought, why not just adopt?

An ex boyfriend and the first man to ever propose marriage to me also passed away late last year. I didn't know about it till last week, he died without children but he always wanted to have them too and was into the whole marriage, kids and family life thing.

He got married but his classmate said it wasn't a good marriage, him and wifey were estranged when he passed. It took 4 days for people to notice his absence at work and his body to be discovered at home. My heart ached on hearing that he passed without ever getting the things he wanted (a good marriage and kids)

I know single people who died in the Bellview air crash some years ago, they probably wanted ABC and XYZ too, but never got it. If you are alive and not where you want to be, but you are mostly happy many days of the year, I like to think you are living a fulfilled life. Because fulfillment, simply put is happiness.

On a lighter note, what does this even mean? 6 and 9 are numbers, when you put them together you get 69 cheesy. When I say you are an ashawo now, no follow me argue.

I'm wondering how you really feel when an Ex passes on in death.

So sad, indeed. There was this girl friend I had few months before my NYSC. We bleeped almost daily. You know what those days were. She was young and enthusiastic. After I came back she has started dating another guy. But I took it lightly cos I have already met a girl who later became my wife and had a set of twins and my last daughter.

Then few weeks ago I saw on Facebook her boyfriend who was dating her after our breakup who happens to be a friend also on Facebook wrote that the woman has died. They had 2 kids I think so.

I felt sad cos she was a good girl. My wife also knows her very well cos we all live in the same neighborhood in PH.

I remember those wonderful years we spent together very explosive indeed.

Everything in life happens for a reason. If I had married her I would have been a widower by now.

Life uncertainty makes or add some spice to living. At the end we learn our lessons.
Re: Would You Rather Live A Short But Successful Life Or A Long And Unfulfilled One? by Magnoliaa(f): 3:39pm On Sep 04, 2022
saintopus:
Everything in life happens for a reason. If I had married her I would have been a widower by now

I don't think this is necessarily so, though.
Re: Would You Rather Live A Short But Successful Life Or A Long And Unfulfilled One? by saintopus(m): 7:06pm On Sep 04, 2022
Magnoliaa:

I don't think this is necessarily so, though.
Well, you may be right come to think of it the circumstances and conditions that led to her death probably may not have happened if she was my wife.

But who knows what Tommorow holds for each individual.

None, this is why I said the uncertainty in life adds the spices in life.
Re: Would You Rather Live A Short But Successful Life Or A Long And Unfulfilled One? by Yemialade(f): 10:29pm On Sep 04, 2022
Op which kind mentality is this.thats why you still poor,life is not all about eating drinking blab u just spit out.it is about finding ur purpose on earth and fullfilling dat purpose.
Re: Would You Rather Live A Short But Successful Life Or A Long And Unfulfilled One? by Magnoliaa(f): 9:56am On Sep 05, 2022
Yemialade:
Op which kind mentality is this.thats why you still poor,life is not all about eating drinking blab u just spit out.it is about finding ur purpose on earth and fullfilling dat purpose.

So, and where in the OP did you see me write that life is all about eating and drinking? Or where did you see me tell anyone not to find or fulfil their purpose in life? You can see the quality of opinions that has been shared on this thread thus far? I expect you to follow suit, please.

You did not have to comment on my thread for the sake of commenting...when you have nothing worthwhile to contribute.

Now take some steps back, and use a few minutes to digest the topic if you want to try at your opinion again and how the question I asked relates to you.

Thank you.

3 Likes

Re: Would You Rather Live A Short But Successful Life Or A Long And Unfulfilled One? by Justchinedu(m): 8:30pm On Nov 14, 2022
Short and fulfilled. Reason being if you live long enough you become the villan

1 Like

Re: Would You Rather Live A Short But Successful Life Or A Long And Unfulfilled One? by ophilly: 12:18pm On Nov 20, 2022
I'd rather die fulfilled at 50 than die unfulfilled at 100
Re: Would You Rather Live A Short But Successful Life Or A Long And Unfulfilled One? by FriendsAndFans(m): 10:43am On May 01, 2023
FriendsAndFans:
The thing is success depends of individual perception.
At the end one thing is certain, "death". so regardless how long you live its really irrelevant.

I have always wanted to invent one thing. Something that generations yet unborn will remember me for. If I am able to achieve that early, I am ready to go.

When you take a deeper look at life, it's rat-race within a circle. There is absolutely nothing physical to take out of it. The only thing I worry about is if pain, and memories are real after death because those two are abstract.
I still stand by this
Re: Would You Rather Live A Short But Successful Life Or A Long And Unfulfilled One? by tete7000(m): 10:41pm On Nov 11, 2023
If your life is fulfilled, it cant then be short again because within that so called short period you would have fulfilled all your dreams. Is that not what our lives wishes are all about?

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

'40 Yrs Now, No Child, No Husband': Lady Laments In Video, Begs God For Help / I Have Never Had A Fight With My Fiance / Why Do Women Often Resent Each Other? :(

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.