Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,838 members, 7,820,922 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 03:15 AM

Hike In Electricty Tariff Comes July 1st - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Hike In Electricty Tariff Comes July 1st (1345 Views)

Reasons For 100% Hike In Pure Water Price. / Hike In Electricty Tariff Comes July 1st / Hike In Electricty Tariff Comes July 1st (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Hike In Electricty Tariff Comes July 1st by onoerime: 9:20am On Jun 27, 2011
Nairalanders i am scared of president jonathan government. increment in electricity tariff, no kerosene. bankole case keeps Nigerians skeptical. are you sure president jonathan is the promised saviour
Re: Hike In Electricty Tariff Comes July 1st by VALIDATOR: 9:59am On Jun 27, 2011
Siddon dia.
When were you promised a savior? Who did the promising? A politician
Re: Hike In Electricty Tariff Comes July 1st by luluosas(m): 1:11pm On Jun 27, 2011
As far as Jonathan enjoys free electricity, free fuel, free recharge cards, free cooking gas, free drinking water, what concerns him with the suffering of the poor? This is just the beginning.
Re: Hike In Electricty Tariff Comes July 1st by onoerime: 8:03pm On Jun 27, 2011
another 4 years of suffering
Re: Hike In Electricty Tariff Comes July 1st by egift(m): 8:26pm On Jun 27, 2011
Say it again "I voted for Goodluck, not PDP" grin
Re: Hike In Electricty Tariff Comes July 1st by ektbear: 8:48pm On Jun 27, 2011
It is a necessary step. Don't blame Goodluck for this, imo
Re: Hike In Electricty Tariff Comes July 1st by onoerime: 9:23am On Jun 28, 2011
what kind of necessary step. what of if the hike is done yet problem persist. Nigerian we are too slow to reaction. in India a hike in sugar lead to big protest stopping everyone from sugar consumption. the India government was forced to returned price to its original price. what is wrong with us Nigerians.
Re: Hike In Electricty Tariff Comes July 1st by ektbear: 9:46am On Jun 28, 2011
India is not a country I really admire tbh (isn't any better off on average than Nigeria is), I'd much rather be like China.

Anyway, kudos to GEJ for doing the right thing, even if it is politically costly.
Re: Hike In Electricty Tariff Comes July 1st by Everfrank(m): 10:13am On Jun 28, 2011
Una never see anything yet.
Re: Hike In Electricty Tariff Comes July 1st by Nobody: 3:19pm On Jun 28, 2011
The whole of Imo were ready to kill to make sure Rochas become the governor.

Few days later, hundreds of them were on the streets calling for the head of Rochas. Reason? he did something right but the people saw it as evil.
Re: Hike In Electricty Tariff Comes July 1st by jensinmi(m): 9:35pm On Jun 28, 2011
ekt_bear:

India is not a country I really admire tbh (isn't any better off on average than Nigeria is), I'd much rather be like China.

Anyway, kudos to GEJ for doing the right thing, even if it is politically costly.

@ Ekt_ Bear: Abeg bros. What is all this smack talk about the right decision.

You and this your opinion that in increased tariff will lead to more electricity production and to more investment in the sector.

THAT IS A LIE!!!

The average Nigerian's payment to PHCN is not commiserate with their energy consumption. NEPA fabricates bills to deliver to people.

How many times do we have to tell you this for you to understand it bro.

If GEJ wants improvement, the best step right now is to mandate that PHCN give out prepaid meters. This step is more important than tariff increase. It doesn't matter if he increases the tariff to N1000/kwh. Nigerians will still not pay for fabricated bills.

PREPAID METERS is the first step. Not Tariff increase.
Re: Hike In Electricty Tariff Comes July 1st by ektbear: 11:08pm On Jun 28, 2011
We shall agree to disagree, I guess.
Re: Hike In Electricty Tariff Comes July 1st by onoerime: 6:22am On Jun 29, 2011
phcn workers goes on one day strike over non implementation of salary increase. for me it is not one day
Re: Hike In Electricty Tariff Comes July 1st by hercules07: 6:46am On Jun 29, 2011
ekt_bear

What comes first, proper supply of electricity or hike in tariff, why are they punishing us in order to attract foreign investors? I have not had electricity for over a week, yet my bill will come at the end of the month. Our Government needs to stump up the cash to revamp the power sector first before they increase tariff, MTN provided service before giving us killing bills, the funny thing is if there is constant electricity, Nigerians will not grumble too much about the tariff (initially sha o).
Re: Hike In Electricty Tariff Comes July 1st by 1025: 7:56am On Jun 29, 2011
this increment is coming when it has been announced that our electricity supply has dropped against the much anticipated increase in the supply.
this is FRESH AIR indeed.
Re: Hike In Electricty Tariff Comes July 1st by luluosas(m): 9:50am On Jun 29, 2011
No part of the country can boast of 24h power supply 24/7 and Government is considering hike in price. Not surprised anyway, if they can hire generators for their swearing in, what stops them from giving us TOTAL BLACK OUT?
Re: Hike In Electricty Tariff Comes July 1st by egift(m): 1:39pm On Jun 29, 2011
Say it again "Voted for Goodluck and not PDP" - I dey laff oooo!
Re: Hike In Electricty Tariff Comes July 1st by shevalync: 1:44pm On Jun 29, 2011
What else do u expect?
Re: Hike In Electricty Tariff Comes July 1st by philip0906(m): 1:51pm On Jun 29, 2011
this ekt bear guy and his comments. . .duh
op
dats zhat u get 4 voting jonathan and not pdp. . .sick country undecided
Re: Hike In Electricty Tariff Comes July 1st by ektbear: 1:59pm On Jun 29, 2011
hercules07:

ekt_bear

What comes first, proper supply of electricity or hike in tariff, why are they punishing us in order to attract foreign investors? I have not had electricity for over a week, yet my bill will come at the end of the month. Our Government needs to stump up the cash to revamp the power sector first before they increase tariff, MTN provided service before giving us killing bills, the funny thing is if there is constant electricity, Nigerians will not grumble too much about the tariff (initially sha o).

Hike in tariff comes first. You have a meter, yes? Look very well at how much you pay per kWh for the electricity you receive. Tell us how much you consumed in the past month and how much you were charged. I am guessing that you paid 1/2 or 2/3 the price per kWh I did in the past month.

Yet is it cheaper to generate that kWh in Nigeria than in the US? No, it is not.

In a nutshell, the price must go up before the supply will increase.

In case it isn't clear, I'm not a GEJ fan at all. But he is doing the right thing.
Re: Hike In Electricty Tariff Comes July 1st by hercules07: 2:32pm On Jun 29, 2011
@ekt_bear

In the last month I probably had power for about a week and I was billed #6,000 Naira, this month I have not had light for weeks, cumulatively, I can say I have light for about 96 hours and I am expecting another hefty bill, can you please tell me how much you pay per month for 24 hours electricity.
Re: Hike In Electricty Tariff Comes July 1st by ektbear: 2:42pm On Jun 29, 2011
You have a meter, right? How much electricity did you use to get that N5K bill? Give me a #.

I paid 13.175 cents per kWh (from my power company's site). . . so N19.763. How much did you pay for each unit of energy you bought?
Re: Hike In Electricty Tariff Comes July 1st by Dereal1(m): 3:01pm On Jun 29, 2011
Hi,
Let me tell you that it is we Nigerians that will fight for ourselves through our cooperation by resisting not to pay the unwanted tariff. there is no regular supply of power,the government is talking of increasing the tariff.this the right time for the masses to rise up to the occasion and say no to this uneccessary exploitation by the government.
Re: Hike In Electricty Tariff Comes July 1st by hercules07: 3:24pm On Jun 29, 2011
ekt_bear

Apparently you are not used to PHCN, the rate on their meter is about 9 or 10 Naira, add all their maintenance stuff to it, then they now give you a consumption that is not commensurate with your usage, they call it estimated billing, if you like shout from here till tomorrow, you are paying that bill, in the complex where my company is, we use prepaid meter from the complex owners and we pay 15.6Naira/Kwh, now, this is not the complex guys profiteering, it is the PHCN bill that is passed to us with maybe 1Naira profit for the complex owners. I am even lucky, my partner pays close to 12K a month and he is also on estimated billing.
PHCN should first of all introduce prepaid meters, then improve on their services before increase in tariff.
Re: Hike In Electricty Tariff Comes July 1st by ektbear: 3:32pm On Jun 29, 2011
So at the end of the day, you pay N15.6 for every kWh you consume, compared to the N19.763 I pay. N4+ cheaper than me.

And I imagine that it is more expensive to generate electricity in Nigeria. . . probably meaning a big loss for the electricity company on every metered unit of electricity it sells. How much should we guess they lose, N5? Maybe more?

Good luck getting them to hand out meters to everyone, or for the power supply to improve in Nigeria. I wouldn't be interested in providing either if I were PHCN, under the current pricing.
Re: Hike In Electricty Tariff Comes July 1st by Nobody: 5:54pm On Jun 29, 2011
Electricity is an instantaneous product that cannot be stored i.e people have to pay the economic cost of that product at the instant they consume it. It is placing the cart before the horse by saying power supply should be increased first before raising tariff.

It takes more gas/coal/whatever fuel to generate more electricity. This has to be paid for. It takes more investment in distribution and transmission system and upgrades / expansion to deliver more electricity. This also has to be paid for which conservatively cost billions. The IOCs that will increase fuel/gas supply will have to invest in infrastructure expansion to meet increase in gas need.

They need to be certain that they will get a return on that investment by way of prompt payments at market prices from PHCN. How can PHCN pay market rates for gas if they don't recover their cost  from you the consumer? If PHCN can't guarantee prompt payment to the IOCs, then they wont  invest in more gas gathering and distribution infrastructure. Or better still, they will liquefy the gas and export to the international market. They are not charities like PHCN!

That is why we produce so much gas and yet are short of gas for electricity. It is more economical to export it or reinject it into the ground or flare it. If you want more electricity, then be ready to pay the commercial prices that will incentivize the entire value chain. Anything other than that will continue the status quo. Electricity supply should be strictly a commercial issue like telecoms and NOT a political issue as it is now. So stop blaming GEJ.
Re: Hike In Electricty Tariff Comes July 1st by hercules07: 6:26pm On Jun 29, 2011
@ekt

I pay far more for electricity, I am paying PHCN 15.6 Naira /KWh for the paltry electricity I get and over 20,000 a month for generating my own electricity, now you are asking that PHCN should bill me over 20 Naira/Kwh for paltry electricity while I will still be paying over 15000 a month for generating my own electricity, does that make sense to you? Your total cost of electricity is far cheaper than mine as you have not factored in the cost of fueling generators, let PHCN improve on supply and I will be ready to pay the 20 naira per Kwh, how can you ask for us to pay more for a utility that is meaningless to us, what do I do with 2 hours of electricity at home per day or two to three days without power at work?
Let the electricity sector be deregulated, that way I can sign up with a company that will provide me with 24 hours electricity at appropriate pricing (be it 24 Naira or whatever).
I am not too sure that the cost of electricity will be higher than that of US anyway, I am sure the gas is subsidized, there was a story of Shell promising to generate at less than 10 Naira, it only wanted to be paid in dollars or oil.
Re: Hike In Electricty Tariff Comes July 1st by cap28: 7:25pm On Jun 29, 2011
hope you guys are all enjoying your fresh air grin grin grin grin
Re: Hike In Electricty Tariff Comes July 1st by hercules07: 7:44pm On Jun 29, 2011
cap

I did not vote for fresh air o, I voted CPC.
Re: Hike In Electricty Tariff Comes July 1st by ektbear: 1:18am On Jun 30, 2011
@hercules07: PHCN (or whoever ends up buying them) doesn't care about your your gen and how much you pay to fuel it.

All they care about is how much you are paying for what they sell you.

I understand your point, and how it seems unfair on your end. But that is the only way there will be abundant electricity in Nigeria.

There is no other way.
Re: Hike In Electricty Tariff Comes July 1st by hercules07: 5:47am On Jun 30, 2011
ekt_bear

Apparently you are not getting my drift, if PHCN can not guarantee 24 hours power supply which will make me jettison my Generator, then they can not and should not increase the tariff, for feck sake, you must have a product to sell before you price it, Google had a product, Microsoft had a product, they did not come to the consumers saying okay we will give you Microsoft Word that will crash 12 times per day, when you pay us more, we will get more programmers that will make the software work better, your reasoning is faulty, let them get money from wherever to guarantee supply and then increase it, that is what most companies do, why should it be different from that of PHCN? Why will they use my money to set up their system, do they not have a plan? By the way if I pay 6000 a month for two weeks power, it comes to 17.8 Naira/Kwh. There should be a minimum service guarantee, you want to increase to 24 naira per kwh fine, availability should be 97%, increasing cost with availability at less than 30% (we have not had power for over a week now) is of no use to me, to whom much is given, much is expected.
The companies close to LASG power plant will be willing to pay even 40 Naira per kwh because they know availability is guaranteed, you can not preach capitalism without guarantees.
Re: Hike In Electricty Tariff Comes July 1st by ektbear: 8:19am On Jun 30, 2011
I understand your point, but you need to understand that that isn't enough for them to want to increase supply.

Anyway, let's agree to disagree, I suppose.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Starting An Export Business / Avenues To Wealth Please Read!!! / How To Register For Safetoken

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.