Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,551 members, 7,816,339 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:47 AM

We Kicked Russia's Backside Before... We Can Do It Again': UK Defence Secretary - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / We Kicked Russia's Backside Before... We Can Do It Again': UK Defence Secretary (2705 Views)

How Much Crime Did Ghanaians Commit When We Kicked Them Out / Mbu Ordered Shoot At Electoral Offenders In Self Defence, APC Kicked (Throwback) / Why I Kicked Against My Wife’s Third Term — TINUBU (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

We Kicked Russia's Backside Before... We Can Do It Again': UK Defence Secretary by NigeriaNawa: 3:30pm On Feb 23, 2022
Ben Wallace today said the UK had 'kicked the backside' of former Russian leaders and 'can always do it again' as he took direct aim at Vladimir Putin.

The Defence Secretary, who is a former soldier who served as an officer in the Scots Guards in the 1990s, also claimed the Russian President has gone 'full tonto' as tensions continue to rise amid the worsening Ukraine crisis.

Mr Wallace dramatically stepped up the UK Government's verbal attacks against Mr Putin as he chatted with Commonwealth soldiers during a visit to the Horse Guards building in Westminster this morning.

Mr Wallace said Mr Putin had made the mistake of having no allies to support his actions in Ukraine as he compared the Russian premier to Tsar Nicholas I during the Crimean War - which took place more than 170 years ago and included the Charge of the Light Brigade, one of the most notorious disasters in British military history.

The comments came as Ukraine said it will introduce a nationwide state of emergency and Boris Johnson announced the UK will send more defensive weapons to the nation in a bid to deter a full-scale invasion by Mr Putin.

The Cabinet minister, a former Scots Guards officer, said his regiment had 'kicked the backside' of the tsar in the Crimea and 'we can always do it again'.

He said: 'It's going to be a busy Army. Unfortunately we've got a busy adversary now in Putin, who has gone full tonto.'

Mr Wallace said the UK has 1,000 personnel on stand-by to respond to the crisis, adding: 'The Scots Guards kicked the backside of Tsar Nicholas I in 1853 in Crimea – we can always do it again.'

He continued: 'Tsar Nicholas I made the same mistake Putin did… he had no friends, no alliances.'

Mr Wallace made the comments as he visited Horse Guards alongside Home Secretary Priti Patel to announce the Government is scrapping visa fees for long-serving overseas military personnel.

Ms Patel sat stony-faced as the Defence Secretary made the remarks about Mr Putin and the Crimean War while the soldiers sat opposite Mr Wallace appeared to laugh nervously.

The change on visas will mean overseas personnel serving in the British armed forces will be able to apply to stay in the UK without paying a £2,389 application fee.

The visa fee will be scrapped for personnel who have completed six years in the forces or been discharged due to an illness or injury sustained during their service. The waiver will also apply to eligible veterans.

The new policy will come into effect in the spring and could help some of the 9,000 non-UK citizens currently serving in the armed forces if they want to apply for indefinite leave to remain in the UK after their service ends.

It came as Foreign Secretary Liz Truss said the UK will make it 'as painful as possible' for Russia if Mr Putin unleashes an all-out attack on Ukraine.

Ms Truss said the Russian leader appears to be 'hell-bent' on invading his neighbour, including potentially an assault on the capital, Kiev.

She said the Government has further measures 'in the locker' which it could activate, after an initial tranche of sanctions announced yesterday was widely criticised as being too weak.

The situation in Ukraine escalated on Monday this week when Mr Putin announced Russia would formally recognise the breakaway 'republics' of Donetsk and Luhansk in eastern Ukraine.

That move was seen by many in the West as a precursor to a full-scale Russian invasion.

Ms Truss said this morning that it is still unclear whether Russian troops have crossed into the territories, after Mr Putin said he was authorising his forces to move in as 'peacekeepers'.

Mr Johnson announced at lunchtime that Britain will be sending more defensive weapons to Ukraine in response to the looming threat of a full-scale invasion.

The UK has already sent anti-tank weapons to the Ukrainian military to help counter the threat posed by Russian forces ringed around the country's borders.

he Prime Minister said: 'In light of the increasingly threatening behaviour from Russia, and in line with our previous support, the UK will shortly be providing a further package of military support to Ukraine.

'This will include lethal aid in the form of defensive weapons and non-lethal aid.'

Russia is currently estimated to have 150,000 troops massed on the borders around Ukraine, with warplanes and armoured vehicles continuing to deploy in the area.

Mr Putin has said the only way to resolve the crisis is for the government in Kiev to give up its ambitions to join Nato and to accept the 'demilitarisation' of the country.

Ukraine today said it is declaring a state of emergency as it urged its citizens living in Russia to leave the country.

Kiev is now calling up military reservists as it prepares to face down the full might of a potential Russian invasion.

The state of emergency move grants President Volodymyr Zelensky extra powers such as the ability to declare snap curfews and marks - for the first time - a direct acknowledgement from Kiev that Russia could now attack at any time in virtually any part of Ukraine, and not just rebel-held areas.
All military reservists aged 18 to 60 - more than 200,000 people - have been called up while Ukraine's border guard service has restricted movement around border zones, prohibited video recordings of its forces and banned the use of drones. Three million Ukrainians living in Russian have been ordered to leave.

Ukrainian citizens have also been given the power to bear arms - effectively activating civilian brigades who have been training with the national guard in recent weeks.

If an invasion does take place then martial law will be imposed, the head of Ukraine's security council said. The state of emergency will last for 30 days, but could be extended.

Mr Putin delivered a sabre-rattling address to his troops this morning to mark Defender of the Fatherland Day, praising their 'battle readiness' while saying he is assured that they will fight to defend Russian security interests - which he called 'non-negotiable'.

Russia also began evacuating staff from its Kiev embassy, with the flag reportedly lowered over the building.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10542729/Ben-Wallace-claims-Putin-gone-tonto-Ukraine-crisis.html

3 Likes

Re: We Kicked Russia's Backside Before... We Can Do It Again': UK Defence Secretary by FERNANDEZISBACK: 3:32pm On Feb 23, 2022
A non nuclear war?
The UK cannot invade Russia on its own. It is doubtful that they could do it with the aid of all of NATO: Russia still has the advantages of defense in depth that geography gives it.

Russia can try to invade the UK but the odds are that it would have a lot of ships sunk and aircraft shot down trying. They don’t have a staging post to launch the invasion closer than their home territory and distance makes launching an invasion harder. That’s the UK’s equivalent of defence in depth.

Both nations can do a lot of damage to each other’s homelands with non-nuclear weapons. The UK would take more damage from fuel air explosives launched at our cities… But Russia has less wealth and less capacity to recover from serious damage to its major cities.

It would end in a stupid draw just like the War of 1812..if it's a nuclear war then both country will go down in drain...it's unimaginable seriously.. cheesy

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: We Kicked Russia's Backside Before... We Can Do It Again': UK Defence Secretary by NigeriaNawa: 3:39pm On Feb 23, 2022
FERNANDEZISBACK:
A non nuclear war?
The UK cannot invade Russia on its own. It is doubtful that they could do it with the aid of all of NATO: Russia still has the advantages of defense in depth that geography gives it.

Russia can try to invade the UK but the odds are that it would have a lot of ships sunk and aircraft shot down trying. They don’t have a staging post to launch the invasion closer than their home territory and distance makes launching an invasion harder. That’s the UK’s equivalent of defence in depth.

Both nations can do a lot of damage to each other’s homelands with non-nuclear weapons. The UK would take more damage from fuel air explosives launched at our cities… But Russia has less wealth and less capacity to recover from serious damage to its major cities.

It would end in a stupid draw just like the War of 1812..if it's a nuclear war then both country will go down in drain...it's unimaginable seriously.. cheesy

Basically if Russia hits the UK with missiles, it means all out war with NATO and if only non-nuclear weapons are used, Russia will surrender in a week grin

Meanwhile the UK Navy is more modern than the Russian Navy with more carriers and more deadly weaponry.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: We Kicked Russia's Backside Before... We Can Do It Again': UK Defence Secretary by FERNANDEZISBACK: 3:41pm On Feb 23, 2022
NigeriaNawa:

Basically if Russia hits the UK with missiles, it means all out war with NATO and if only non-nuclear weapons are used, Russia will surrender in a week grin

Meanwhile the UK Navy is more modern than the Russian Navy with more carriers and more deadly weaponry.
I don't think Russia will surrender so easily..they are bunch of rugged fighters.. cheesy

1 Like

Re: We Kicked Russia's Backside Before... We Can Do It Again': UK Defence Secretary by NigeriaNawa: 3:42pm On Feb 23, 2022
FERNANDEZISBACK:

I don't think Russia will surrender so easily..they are bunch of rugged fighters.. cheesy

Yes, but they are known to lose millions upon millions of soldiers before victory - 27 million alone in world war 2 and 8 million of these were soldiers.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: We Kicked Russia's Backside Before... We Can Do It Again': UK Defence Secretary by NimrodEndOfDays(m): 3:43pm On Feb 23, 2022
i am supporting Russia. please we need you to send one nuclear missile into England grin grin grin
Re: We Kicked Russia's Backside Before... We Can Do It Again': UK Defence Secretary by NigeriaNawa: 3:45pm On Feb 23, 2022
NimrodEndOfDays:
i am supporting Russia. please we need you to send one nuclear missile into England grin grin grin

You think Putin is mad. He knows that for every missile he sends to a NATO country, he will get thousands more back cheesy

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: We Kicked Russia's Backside Before... We Can Do It Again': UK Defence Secretary by FERNANDEZISBACK: 3:48pm On Feb 23, 2022
NigeriaNawa:

Yes, but they are known to lose millions upon millions of soldiers before victory - 27 million alone in world war 2 and 8 million of these were soldiers.
Cos they fought hard, often and in many battles. They sent huge numbers into battle, more than anyone else.. cheesy

You know why I said they wouldn't surrender easily..If the war is taking place in Russia, there is no way the opposition might win. The Russians are one of the most patriotic defenders in the world. When an invading force is fighting a stubborn enemy, the time is on the defender’s side. The latter only has to drag out the war long and hard for the invader to question why they are dying on foreign soil while the defender doesn’t have to go anywhere or justify to their people! I don’t care if people say Russia’s population is roughly only half of USSR. If a war breaks out today, Russia would be willing to sacrifice 27 million people like what USSR did if that is what it takes to drive back an invader! What’s America’s tolerance for causality before quitting? 50K in Vietnam!
So you get the maths? wink

1 Like

Re: We Kicked Russia's Backside Before... We Can Do It Again': UK Defence Secretary by decatalyst(m): 3:49pm On Feb 23, 2022
With which economy?

The is the funniest comment ever from a defense secretary. Buratai sef no make this kind useless comment.

2 Likes

Re: We Kicked Russia's Backside Before... We Can Do It Again': UK Defence Secretary by ivolt: 3:50pm On Feb 23, 2022
hmm
Re: We Kicked Russia's Backside Before... We Can Do It Again': UK Defence Secretary by ivolt: 3:51pm On Feb 23, 2022
FERNANDEZISBACK:
A non nuclear war?
Who told you anybody wants to invade Russia?
The issue is about defending Ukraine's sovereignty and not Russia invasion.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: We Kicked Russia's Backside Before... We Can Do It Again': UK Defence Secretary by NigeriaNawa: 3:52pm On Feb 23, 2022
FERNANDEZISBACK:

Cos they fought hard, often and in many battles. They sent huge numbers into battle, more than anyone else.. cheesy

You know why I said they wouldn't surrender easily..If the war is taking place in Russia, there is no way the opposition might win. The Russians are one of the most patriotic defenders in the world. When an invading force is fighting a stubborn enemy, the time is on the defender’s side. The latter only has to drag out the war long and hard for the invader to question why they are dying on foreign soil while the defender doesn’t have to go anywhere or justify to their people! I don’t care if people say Russia’s population is roughly only half of USSR. If a war breaks out today, Russia would be willing to sacrifice 27 million people like what USSR did if that is what it takes to drive back an invader! What’s America’s tolerance for causality before quitting? 50K in Vietnam!
So you get the maths? wink

This is not the second world war, there are dangerous weapons now that can vaporise whole army divisions.

2 Likes

Re: We Kicked Russia's Backside Before... We Can Do It Again': UK Defence Secretary by FERNANDEZISBACK: 3:53pm On Feb 23, 2022
ivolt:

Who told you anybody wants to invade Russia?
The issue is about defending Ukraine's sovereignty and not Russia.
I wasn't referring to you and if you didn't get that I was only giving an example due to his first paragraph then that's your issue..
Re: We Kicked Russia's Backside Before... We Can Do It Again': UK Defence Secretary by FERNANDEZISBACK: 3:54pm On Feb 23, 2022
NigeriaNawa:

This is not the second world war, there are dangerous weapons now that can vaporise whole army divisions.
And you think Russia ain't smart or don't have any weapon like that..
Does it even matter if it's world war..I am talking about Russia's will power and strength..
Re: We Kicked Russia's Backside Before... We Can Do It Again': UK Defence Secretary by Karmaisme(m): 3:59pm On Feb 23, 2022
I want to see what NATO will do in the event Russia invade Ukraine.
I just don't want China to get themselve involved.
Re: We Kicked Russia's Backside Before... We Can Do It Again': UK Defence Secretary by oskopy: 4:00pm On Feb 23, 2022
I pity NATO for this will be opportunity for God to pay them for all the evil they committed during Biafra war against the south east.
Ordinary Biafra stood their ground against your Nato for 3 years rigged war, I see Britain and America loose their powers.
Re: We Kicked Russia's Backside Before... We Can Do It Again': UK Defence Secretary by Hanksihg: 4:01pm On Feb 23, 2022
World war 3
Re: We Kicked Russia's Backside Before... We Can Do It Again': UK Defence Secretary by IhateYouMan: 4:07pm On Feb 23, 2022
oskopy:
I pity NATO for this will be opportunity for God to pay them for all the evil they committed during Biafra war against the south east.
Ordinary Biafra stood their ground against your Nato for 3 years rigged war, I see Britain and America loose their powers.

Don't be silly, most of the weapons provided to the useless Nigerian army during the Biafran war came from Russia. Google it !!!

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: We Kicked Russia's Backside Before... We Can Do It Again': UK Defence Secretary by helinues: 4:08pm On Feb 23, 2022
Empty noise
Re: We Kicked Russia's Backside Before... We Can Do It Again': UK Defence Secretary by Nobody: 4:10pm On Feb 23, 2022
Karmaisme:
I want to see what NATO will do in the event Russia invade Ukraine.
I just don't want China to get themselve involved.

Nato won't put boots on the ground in Ukraine because Ukraine is not a member of nato, they can only send in weapons

1 Like 1 Share

Re: We Kicked Russia's Backside Before... We Can Do It Again': UK Defence Secretary by Lipscomb(m): 4:13pm On Feb 23, 2022
Reckless statement from old soldier that will close his door should war started. This idiot think commonwealths Will support them.England always air their voice once America is in front .

Putin should start negotiation with China this is right time to checkmate America power with that of uk government. Africa should support Russia.

1 Like

Re: We Kicked Russia's Backside Before... We Can Do It Again': UK Defence Secretary by NimrodEndOfDays(m): 4:18pm On Feb 23, 2022
NigeriaNawa:

You think Putin is mad. He knows that for every missile he sends to a NATO country, he will get thousands more back cheesy
let them kii themselves they are both useless grin grin grin
Re: We Kicked Russia's Backside Before... We Can Do It Again': UK Defence Secretary by Lordbinsmar: 4:27pm On Feb 23, 2022
cheesy

Kill yourself finish foolish pipus
Re: We Kicked Russia's Backside Before... We Can Do It Again': UK Defence Secretary by D1official: 4:45pm On Feb 23, 2022
oskopy:
I'm more Biafran than you but you should stop talking nonsense all in the name of Biafra.

Do you think Russia, China and North Korea are better off?

Ju
Re: We Kicked Russia's Backside Before... We Can Do It Again': UK Defence Secretary by ndo1: 5:00pm On Feb 23, 2022
Lipscomb:
Reckless statement from old soldier that will close his door should war started. This idiot think commonwealths Will support them.England always air their voice once America is in front .

Putin should start negotiation with China this is right time to checkmate America power with that of uk government. Africa should support Russia.
you dey mind uk,liuing in the past glory.america's lap dog.They are good at shooting verbal missile only.
Re: We Kicked Russia's Backside Before... We Can Do It Again': UK Defence Secretary by flamingREED(m): 5:05pm On Feb 23, 2022
It's an input problem.

None knows how or how much Mr Putin is ready to put in.
Re: We Kicked Russia's Backside Before... We Can Do It Again': UK Defence Secretary by Emergingnation3(m): 5:12pm On Feb 23, 2022
oskopy:
Na Russia and British where fight Biafra, America and other NATO members no follow ooo.
Re: We Kicked Russia's Backside Before... We Can Do It Again': UK Defence Secretary by lagdmark(m): 5:33pm On Feb 23, 2022
UK should finish the Brexit war first before engaging themselves in another media war
Re: We Kicked Russia's Backside Before... We Can Do It Again': UK Defence Secretary by 9gerian: 6:25pm On Feb 23, 2022
Africa has no place in this proxy or any other war in Europe. Let the nations that have a stake pick and fight their battles as they deem fit.

Absolute and perfect neutrality is the watchword for Africa please. I saw the Kenya ambassador to the UN trying to take sides. I hope there’s something in it for Kenya and not just blind loyalty to others who don’t care about Kenya or it’s genuine interests.

Lipscomb:

Re: We Kicked Russia's Backside Before... We Can Do It Again': UK Defence Secretary by Bouncin(m): 7:05pm On Feb 23, 2022
Situation deteriorating by the day shocked
Gawd epp us oo angry
Re: We Kicked Russia's Backside Before... We Can Do It Again': UK Defence Secretary by aribisala0(m): 7:09pm On Feb 23, 2022
NigeriaNawa:

Where did you get this from ? The Bible or Quran?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The Story Of Abibatu Mogaji (Amoda Ogunlere's Adopted Mother) / APC Chieftains Using Tinubu Vehicles To Campaign For Atiku In The North (Video) / Labour Party DP Candidate On Twitter; Twitter Users React

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.