Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,124 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:28 AM

Lawmakers To Vote On VAT, Power Devolution, Others - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lawmakers To Vote On VAT, Power Devolution, Others (8659 Views)

Muhammad Magaji Begs Southern States On VAT, Says Let’s Be Our Brothers' Keeper / Femi Gbajabiamila: Why Power Devolution Is Important / Fayemi Canvasses Power Devolution As Solution To Marginalisation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lawmakers To Vote On VAT, Power Devolution, Others by garfield1: 10:51am On Feb 24, 2022
fergie001:

Leave them to put it nah. That one will die ooo unless they have Southern collaborators.

They don't need to......Once the Constitution is changed today, it takes immediate effect.

However, these issues will still go to the 36 States & they need 24 States to accept.

Oga,me and you know that only few states support States collecting vat
Re: Lawmakers To Vote On VAT, Power Devolution, Others by LoveThemChubby(m): 10:51am On Feb 24, 2022
Just wait and see how this will play out especially the VAT and correctional facilities. Northern governors will push their legislators to support and not to support (respectively) such bills because it will affect their revenue. They must have heard several meetings to this effect while the southern legislstors that are championing this course will go in there without a united front
Re: Lawmakers To Vote On VAT, Power Devolution, Others by Blue3k(m): 10:52am On Feb 24, 2022
garfield1:

Not true.majority of states will support vat being on exclusive list

Doubt it considering you don't see a majority doing it right now in court.
Re: Lawmakers To Vote On VAT, Power Devolution, Others by Aboguede(m): 10:53am On Feb 24, 2022
grin
Re: Lawmakers To Vote On VAT, Power Devolution, Others by garfield1: 10:54am On Feb 24, 2022
moralistic:
a matter that is in court....funny law makers

Court cannot stop legislative duties
Re: Lawmakers To Vote On VAT, Power Devolution, Others by canaan6271: 10:54am On Feb 24, 2022
Ghanaians got it right with the idea of a forum
straynt53: If you know any Ghanaian, show them this forum

Re: Lawmakers To Vote On VAT, Power Devolution, Others by Aboguede(m): 10:54am On Feb 24, 2022
Good moves so let's wait and see how far
Re: Lawmakers To Vote On VAT, Power Devolution, Others by garfield1: 10:54am On Feb 24, 2022
Blue3k:

Doubt it considering you don't see a majority doing it right now in court.

I don't get you
Re: Lawmakers To Vote On VAT, Power Devolution, Others by garfield1: 10:55am On Feb 24, 2022
LoveThemChubby:
Just wait and see how this will play out especially the VAT and correctional facilities. Northern governors will push their legislators to support and not to support (respectively) such bills because it will affect their revenue. They must have heard several meetings to this effect while the southern legislstors that are championing this course will go in there without a united front

It is not about north.majority of states across Nigeria benefit from the present vat system
Re: Lawmakers To Vote On VAT, Power Devolution, Others by Blue3k(m): 10:56am On Feb 24, 2022
garfield1:

I don't get you

You said the majority of States will support vat being exclusive. The states suing to keep the status quo aren't 16 last time I checked.
Re: Lawmakers To Vote On VAT, Power Devolution, Others by garfield1: 11:00am On Feb 24, 2022
Blue3k:

You said the majority of States will support vat being exclusive. The states suing to keep the status quo aren't 16 last time I checked.

That's not true sir.the. only states that supported wike were rivers,Oyo and Benue.over 30 States benefit from the present system,they are not stupid
Re: Lawmakers To Vote On VAT, Power Devolution, Others by Blue3k(m): 11:05am On Feb 24, 2022
garfield1:

That's not true sir.the. only states that supported wike were rivers,Oyo and Benue.over 30 States benefit from the present system,they are not stupid

Ok we'll see when its time to vote.
Re: Lawmakers To Vote On VAT, Power Devolution, Others by garfield1: 11:08am On Feb 24, 2022
Blue3k:

Ok we'll see when its time to vote.

True.if it passes through the nass,it will pass through the states
Re: Lawmakers To Vote On VAT, Power Devolution, Others by fergie001: 11:15am On Feb 24, 2022
garfield1:
Oga,me and you know that only few states support States collecting vat
That's why I said unless they have Southern collaborators. I am happy the voting will be by names, so I know the Governors are carefully watching.

Your 3 Senators will vote against it been on exclusive list, Wike controls Cross River PDP. You already know the positions of Lagos, Ogun & Osun Senators. They need 72 to say YES.
Re: Lawmakers To Vote On VAT, Power Devolution, Others by adamsmith914: 11:16am On Feb 24, 2022
Blue3k:

Lol they'll won't get the votes at the state legislatures to make this happen. States aren't going to give up power unless you're offering alot of powers and tax incentives..
Quite obvious you do not know anything, Who told you that State House of Assemblies will vote on the VAT Bill?

Just be ranting showing your ignorance?, there was a lacuna in the law made by the Military (Federal Government), The National Assembly will attend to it, & put VAT on the Exclusive Legislative List.

Issue closed.
Re: Lawmakers To Vote On VAT, Power Devolution, Others by adamsmith914: 11:20am On Feb 24, 2022
fergie001:

That's why I said unless they have Southern collaborators. I am happy the voting will be by names, so I know the Governors are carefully watching.

Your 3 Senators will vote against it been on exclusive list, Wike controls Cross River PDP.
Joker, It will only be ratified into law by the National Assembly that it is the sole responsibility of the Federal Government to collect VAT as intended by the creators of the law, The Military under General Babaginda when the decree was pronounced.

All Wike’s Noise was just much ado about nothing for the audience.
Re: Lawmakers To Vote On VAT, Power Devolution, Others by Blue3k(m): 11:24am On Feb 24, 2022
adamsmith914:
Quite obvious you do not know anything, Who told you that State House of Assemblies will vote on the VAT Bill?

Just be ranting showing your ignorance?, there was a lacuna in the law made by the Military (Federal Government) The National Assembly will attend to it, & put VAT on the Exclusive Legislative List.

You're rambling like a mumu as usual. You do know constitutional amendments require state assemblies to ratify the laws. Anyway we'll see what they'll do when the issue is front of them.
Re: Lawmakers To Vote On VAT, Power Devolution, Others by garfield1: 11:25am On Feb 24, 2022
fergie001:

Your 3 Senators will vote against it been on exclusive list, Wike controls Cross River PDP. You already know the positions of Lagos, Ogun & Osun Senators. They need 72 to say YES.

Gershom has drifted from them.osun and ogun has no reason to follow lagos
Re: Lawmakers To Vote On VAT, Power Devolution, Others by onuman: 11:27am On Feb 24, 2022
Nigeria needs a new Constitution, not amendment of the 1999 constitution made by northern Nigeria through its military dictators.
Too many states and LGAs proliferated in the old Northern region, yet no resource Control for the mineral producing areas is a fraud. Any amendment in the Constitution which allows the skewed and lopsided political structure to stay with sharing federal allocations is another fraud.

The present NASS is repeating the futile but money guzzling amendment that its predecessors made.
Re: Lawmakers To Vote On VAT, Power Devolution, Others by adamsmith914: 11:31am On Feb 24, 2022
Blue3k:

You're rambling like a mumu as usual. You do know constitutional amendments require state assemblies to ratify the laws. Anyway we'll see what they'll do when the issue is front of them.
Like I said earlier you do not know anything, go & read section 315 (5) & (6) of The Nigerian Constitution 1999 (As Amended). & see the circumstances or issues under which two third of two third state house of assemblies are needed.

Mumurist.
Re: Lawmakers To Vote On VAT, Power Devolution, Others by fergie001: 11:32am On Feb 24, 2022
garfield1:
Gershom has drifted from them.osun and ogun has no reason to follow lagos
Anyways, you know what I am talking about.
Re: Lawmakers To Vote On VAT, Power Devolution, Others by FreeIgboho817: 11:36am On Feb 24, 2022
The site is doing well .com.
designking13: I just joined the Up. .Ghana forum and already addicted to it
Re: Lawmakers To Vote On VAT, Power Devolution, Others by adamsmith914: 11:43am On Feb 24, 2022
onuman:
Nigeria needs a new Constitution, not amendment of the 1999 constitution made by northern Nigeria through its military dictators.
Too many states and LGAs proliferated in the old Northern region, yet no resource Control for the mineral producing areas is a fraud. Any amendment in the Constitution which allows the skewed and lopsided political structure to stay with sharing federal allocations is another fraud.

The present NASS is repeating the futile but money guzzling amendment that its predecessors made.
Nonsense, what resource control, with all the money given to Delta State is there anything to show in the last 22 years?

Rubbish why not every Local Government & ward keep their so called natural resources, why must the whole state share it @ the capital?

Obey the laws of your country, of the 10 wealthiest countries how many of them are resource driven? Of the 10 richest persons on earth, how many of them are natural resource billionaires?

1 Like

Re: Lawmakers To Vote On VAT, Power Devolution, Others by Blue3k(m): 11:43am On Feb 24, 2022
adamsmith914:
Like I said you do not know anything, go & read section 315 (5) & (6) of The Nigerian Constitution 1999 (As Amended). & see the circumstances or issues under which two third of two third state house of assemblies are needed.

Mumurist.

You're clearly mentally challenged. Please be stupid somewhere else Mumurist.

https://lawpadi.com/the-process-for-amending-the-constitution-in-nigeria/

The National Assembly may, subject to the provision of this section, alter any of the provisions of this Constitution.

2. An Act of the National Assembly for the alteration of this Constitution, not being an Act to which section 8 of this Constitution applies, shall not be passed in either House of the National Assembly unless the proposal is supported by the votes of not less than two-thirds majority of all the members of that House and approved by resolution of the Houses of Assembly of not less than two-thirds of all the States.

3. An Act of the National Assembly for the purpose of altering the provisions of this section, section 8 or Chapter IV of this Constitution shall not be passed by either House of the National Assembly unless the proposal is approved by the votes of not less than four-fifths majority of all the members of each House, and also approved by resolution of the House of Assembly of not less than two-third of all States.
Re: Lawmakers To Vote On VAT, Power Devolution, Others by Bluntemperor: 11:45am On Feb 24, 2022
chigoziri2403:
What will it take to give us a brand new constitution

They all know what they are doing- deceit is the language of Politicians.
Thy just have 1 yr and few months to complete their 8- yrs term,so what were they doing since!
Please,park abeg,Nigeria will surely moved on!
Re: Lawmakers To Vote On VAT, Power Devolution, Others by adamsmith914: 11:48am On Feb 24, 2022
Blue3k:

For the alteration of the Constitution, are they altering the Constitution, go back to your initial post & don’t change the narrative by throwing In grapes with oranges, you were talking about VAT precisely not altering the Constitution.
Re: Lawmakers To Vote On VAT, Power Devolution, Others by garfield1: 11:51am On Feb 24, 2022
fergie001:

Anyways, you know what I am talking about.

Let's see but if it passes nass,state assembly stage will be a formality
Re: Lawmakers To Vote On VAT, Power Devolution, Others by adamsmith914: 11:52am On Feb 24, 2022
Blue3k:

Ignoramus,
2. An Act of the National Assembly for the alteration of this Constitution, not being an Act to which section 8 of this Constitution applies, shall not be passed in either House of the National Assembly unless the proposal is supported by the votes of not less than two-thirds majority of all the members of that House and approved by resolution of the Houses of Assembly of not less than two-thirds of all the States.

It is there in print Mumu, where section 8 of the Constitution applies, VAT does not fall under section 8 of the Constitution, so a State house of assembly has no jurisdiction.
Re: Lawmakers To Vote On VAT, Power Devolution, Others by Blue3k(m): 11:53am On Feb 24, 2022
adamsmith914:
For the alteration of the Constitution, are they altering the Constitution, go back to your initial post & don’t change the narrative, you were talking about VAT precisely not altering the Constitution.

Mumurist they're trying to move VAT to the exclusive list so they are altering the constitution. Again go be stupid somewhere else. Its not by force to argue.

The lawmakers will vote on the proposal to put VAT on the Exclusive List, which will take it within the purview of only the Federal Government.
Re: Lawmakers To Vote On VAT, Power Devolution, Others by fergie001: 11:53am On Feb 24, 2022
adamsmith914:
Joker, It will only be ratified into law by the National Assembly that it is the sole responsibility of the Federal Government to collect VAT as intended by the creators of the law, The Military under General Babaginda when the decree was pronounced.

All Wike’s Noise was just much ado about nothing for the audience.
So from the years you have spent on NL, including with your former moniker, you still do not know that the Constitution is the grundnorm and every other law/bill will derive its source from it.

You do not know that the decree/bill you are speaking about has been shut down by several Courts, including the Appeal Court in this Country for been in contradiction to the Constitution.

You also do not still know that any alteration (i.e. addition/subtraction of words) of the Constitution must meet the conditions set in Section 9 of the 1999 CFRN. That is to say, National Assembly and then State Legislatures.

When you hear Exclusive Legislative List, is it not talking about the Constitution?

Yet, you are calling me a Joker.....NL is for us to communicate & not go around calling names.
Re: Lawmakers To Vote On VAT, Power Devolution, Others by adamsmith914: 11:55am On Feb 24, 2022
Blue3k:

Mumurist they're trying to move VAT to the exclusive list so they are altering the constitution. Again go be stupid somewhere else. Its not by force to argue.

One question did your state house of assembly vote on the electoral act about to be signed by the President?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Tinubu Already Has 200m Naira 2023 Toyota Landcruiser / INEC Declines To Register Rival APC- PDP Loses / The 8th Senate Launches Chatbot Service To Showcase Tenure Activities

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.